Marathon Weekend 2018

I'm a long time lurker of this site but first time poster. I've got a question for the more experienced runners out there. I signed up for my first marathon during the 2018 WDW weekend (I also signed up for the 5k because I'm hardcore like that) and I just started training this week using the Jeff Galloway program that's posted on the RunDisney site. The only modification I made is I've been running three miles on Tuesday & Thursday instead of the 30 minutes it suggests. My concern is that during the three mile runs I'm averaging a pace of 14:09/mile and I have no clue as to what my average should be. I realize it's just the beginning and all, but I'm just not sure where I should be at during each week as far as average mile/minute to stay under that 16:00/mile average come race day. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm a long time lurker of this site but first time poster. I've got a question for the more experienced runners out there. I signed up for my first marathon during the 2018 WDW weekend (I also signed up for the 5k because I'm hardcore like that) and I just started training this week using the Jeff Galloway program that's posted on the RunDisney site. The only modification I made is I've been running three miles on Tuesday & Thursday instead of the 30 minutes it suggests. My concern is that during the three mile runs I'm averaging a pace of 14:09/mile and I have no clue as to what my average should be. I realize it's just the beginning and all, but I'm just not sure where I should be at during each week as far as average mile/minute to stay under that 16:00/mile average come race day. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Do you have a Proof of Time race to put you in a corral?

If you can maintain a 14:00/mile across 26 miles, that definitely gives you a really excellent shot at finishing the race. Now, you likely won't be able to stop for many (if any?) photos, or a ride on EE, and you might find yourself in a tight spot if you stop for the restroom more than, say, once during the race ... especially if you don't have a PoT race to keep you out of one of the last corrals.

You have until October to submit a PoT - do you have a half marathon or 10-miler scheduled in a race situation?

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, this will be my first race so I wasn't able to submit a PoT when registering and I don't have anything scheduled either so I'm sure I'll be in one of the last corrals. I wasn't pushing myself too hard this week so I'm confident my time will get better. I was hoping to find a training calendar out there that listed what my time per mile should be every week but no luck.

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, this will be my first race so I wasn't able to submit a PoT when registering and I don't have anything scheduled either so I'm sure I'll be in one of the last corrals. I wasn't pushing myself too hard this week so I'm confident my time will get better. I was hoping to find a training calendar out there that listed what my time per mile should be every week but no luck.

Ah, gotcha.

So - someone may come in here with some #Math or something to help you out more ... but basically, the only thing that can determine your speed is, well, YOU! In the Galloway Program, he uses what's called a "Magical Mile" to help you establish a race-pace benchmark.

You can read more about the Magic Mile and the theory/science/#MATH behind it here:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/magic-mile/

:welcome:

I agree with @Keels. Run the Galloway Magic Mile so that you can determine your current fitness. Your 3 miles at 14:09 min/mile is roughly equivalent to a 12:46 min individual mile (assuming the 14:09 was a race effort). So, the 12:46 would be a good benchmark for that magic mile test for you. Although, per the Galloway instructions, the first Magic Mile shouldn't be an all-out effort.

Once you've got that, come back and we can help you interpret Galloway's instructions for the weekly maintenance runs and long runs. Because the weekly maintenance runs will average out to slower than marathon tempo pace (or a 15-15:30 min/mile for 2 miles whichever comes first) and the weekend long run is at least 2 minutes slower than marathon pace. I know that seems too slow and that you could run faster (you most certainly are capable of running faster), but the benefits of those maintenance runs and long runs are based on proper pacing. Check out this recent discussion for more reasons on why proper pacing is important (link). Pacing based on your current fitness is the optimal long term strategy, so don't worry if your current magic mile suggests slower than a 16 min/mile marathon or if a significant chunk of the miles you run are at a 16 min/mile or slower, as you'll progress over time and reassess the original pacing scheme. Trust the training, follow the process and be consistent and it'll get you to where you want to be. You've got this! :thumbsup2

Ditto @Keels and @DopeyBadger I've followed Galloway plans for several years now and for a beginner training for their first endurance race, they work well to get you across the finish line healthy and happy. You didn't mention if you are doing run/walk intervals and thus just following Galloway's mileage suggestions. His program and paces and use of the magic mile assumes you are doing run/walk intervals. The mileage program may work regardless, but I think if you are strictly running, there might be even better programs out there for you as well, including a custom one that @DopeyBadger could do for you. :D

Regarding corral placement, they'll accept POT submissions up until October 3, so you might be able to find a race you could do before then. I have one scheduled for October 1 hoping to improve my current POT. Once you have one, you can go in and update your registration.

I don't use Galloway's plans, so I'll just say this (and that, and one other thing...) - there is no pace you "should" be at other than wanting to meet that minimum 16:00/mile pace. You're way ahead of that at 14:09/mile, so no reason to fret at this point. I say this as someone who's been running for most of my 40+ years and simply isn't fast and isn't interested in getting fast! I average around a 13:30-14:30/mile pace in my long runs and haven't been swept at a race yet; I stop for pics, restrooms, whatever, too, so again - if you find yourself around a 14:00/mile pace for long runs, you're fine. Also, I haven't submitted PoT for my last few races (including Dopey this year) and it's not a problem: simply enter your estimated finish time that's above the cutoff and you'll be corralled based on that. You want to be corralled properly, as in with others going roughly the same speed. Chances are that you'll see your average pace get faster with time and miles, but if it doesn't, that's perfectly fine!

Hi all!

Just introducing myself :)

I've been lurking recently since booking a family holiday to Orlando that has a week in WDW with the marathon weekend in the middle of our stay. We're bringing our 4 and 7 year old boys along to the first trip to Disney, I'm doing the marathon and my wife is registered to do the half. We might do some of the kids dashes too.

I've been catching up on the various threads around here that have so much useful information for planning the trip, and I'm catching up on a load of the reports from last year etc. I'm finding planning a week in WDW including a couple of races a baffling ordeal between figuring out which parks to do on which day, ADRs, recovering from the races, etc. but the experiences and knowledge shared on these boards is super helpful :)

A small bit of running background. I've been running for about 3 years after experiencing a classic mid-life crisis existential crisis (i.e. putting on weight and some illness) prompted me to try to get myself somewhat in shape and I've ended up really enjoying running. I finished my first marathon in 2015 and dropped miserably out of one in 2016 (I picked up an injury a 3 weeks out disrupting my training, got a cold a few days prior and went out a small bit faster than I'd trained for - with predictable results). 2017 is all about training consistently and improving. I was considering doing a marathon late on in 2017 when we got the crazy idea to bring the boys to WDW and participate in the Marathon Weekend. Even though it's still 6 months out it feels a lot closer due to all the planning and booking, and of course the minor task of training for a marathon is looming!

I've joined the DISboards Strava community and am looking forward to learning more about running around WDW on these forums! Hope everybody's training and planning is going well!

Welcome to the party!!!! :welcome:

Hi all!

Just introducing myself :)

I've been lurking recently since booking a family holiday to Orlando that has a week in WDW with the marathon weekend in the middle of our stay. We're bringing our 4 and 7 year old boys along to the first trip to Disney, I'm doing the marathon and my wife is registered to do the half. We might do some of the kids dashes too.

I've been catching up on the various threads around here that have so much useful information for planning the trip, and I'm catching up on a load of the reports from last year etc. I'm finding planning a week in WDW including a couple of races a baffling ordeal between figuring out which parks to do on which day, ADRs, recovering from the races, etc. but the experiences and knowledge shared on these boards is super helpful :)

A small bit of running background. I've been running for about 3 years after experiencing a classic mid-life crisis existential crisis (i.e. putting on weight and some illness) prompted me to try to get myself somewhat in shape and I've ended up really enjoying running. I finished my first marathon in 2015 and dropped miserably out of one in 2016 (I picked up an injury a 3 weeks out disrupting my training, got a cold a few days prior and went out a small bit faster than I'd trained for - with predictable results). 2017 is all about training consistently and improving. I was considering doing a marathon late on in 2017 when we got the crazy idea to bring the boys to WDW and participate in the Marathon Weekend. Even though it's still 6 months out it feels a lot closer due to all the planning and booking, and of course the minor task of training for a marathon is looming!

I've joined the DISboards Strava community and am looking forward to learning more about running around WDW on these forums! Hope everybody's training and planning is going well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter