Marathon Weekend 2018

Ok serious question.

How hard is it to make an 8:00 ADR on either 5k or 10k day? The half and full I know aren't happening, but what time would we finish up the two shorter races? Presume a 12:00 pace and starting in a corral about 2/3 back.

Ok serious question.

How hard is it to make an 8:00 ADR on either 5k or 10k day? The half and full I know aren't happening, but what time would we finish up the two shorter races? Presume a 12:00 pace and starting in a corral about 2/3 back.
8 should be okay for a 5K I think but you would be cutting it close for the 10K. I ran in corral E for the 10K, had probably a 11 min pace since I only stopped once. I finished at 7:30.

For the Sunday question; last year (my first marathon) I called Via Napoli on my way to my room almost crying and cancelling my reservation for late that afternoon. My body HURT, y'all. I did not want to get ready in a hurry and make it to a meal. They were so super nice and didn't charge me to cancel it. SO, you may opt for getting pizza from the resort quick service and blow all of those months of ADR planning like I did :)

Ok serious question.

I'm around that pace, so ... my thoughts and experience:

8 a.m both times (E in 2016, C in 2017), I had gone by Denny's to have a grilled cheese, was showered and laying back down to go to sleep. 5K, you most definitely can make.

10K? That's a little bit different ... I've finished between 7-7:30, so if it WERE ME ... I'd have to forego the shower and head straight to the ADR. Also, I feel like the post-race lines for pictures with characters are A LOT shorter on 5K and 10K day than, say, half or full day, because the field of racers are so much smaller. I don't like to get to races early and wait around, so I like a chance to get pics with the characters (with my bling!) after the race. You also need to account for the walk through the finish chute, the wait for the bus to get wherever you're going (unless it's Epcot) and all that.

10K was definitely the best day to get Dopey this year, notsomuch in 2016 because it was raining. Unless you're trying to get PPO, I would push the 10K back to 9 a.m., just to give you a little post-race time to enjoy the moment, take your time and also enjoy the meal! Nothing like being stressed and gross when you're trying to enjoy a meal with friends/family.

The finish of the 10K is always such a laid-back but clarity moment for me during Dopey ... the two "fun" races are done, and now it's time to get serious. @FFigawi and I had beers at Mile 5, crossed the Finish Line with them, enjoyed some beers in the parking lot and then got serious - he was trying to go for a PoT in the half and I was trying to pace myself coming off injury this year. Of course, we all know what happened when Mother Nature had her way, but to me ... when all the Goofys show up, that's when it's "Go Time".

8 should be okay for a 5K I think but you would be cutting it close for the 10K. I ran in corral E for the 10K, had probably a 11 min pace since I only stopped once. I finished at 7:30.

I'm around that pace, so ... my thoughts and experience:

8 a.m both times (E in 2016, C in 2017), I had gone by Denny's to have a grilled cheese, was showered and laying back down to go to sleep. 5K, you most definitely can make.

10K? That's a little bit different ... I've finished between 7-7:30, so if it WERE ME ... I'd have to forego the shower and head straight to the ADR. Also, I feel like the post-race lines for pictures with characters are A LOT shorter on 5K and 10K day than, say, half or full day, because the field of racers are so much smaller. I don't like to get to races early and wait around, so I like a chance to get pics with the characters (with my bling!) after the race. You also need to account for the walk through the finish chute, the wait for the bus to get wherever you're going (unless it's Epcot) and all that.

10K was definitely the best day to get Dopey this year, notsomuch in 2016 because it was raining. Unless you're trying to get PPO, I would push the 10K back to 9 a.m., just to give you a little post-race time to enjoy the moment, take your time and also enjoy the meal! Nothing like being stressed and gross when you're trying to enjoy a meal with friends/family.

The finish of the 10K is always such a laid-back but clarity moment for me during Dopey ... the two "fun" races are done, and now it's time to get serious. @FFigawi and I had beers at Mile 5, crossed the Finish Line with them, enjoyed some beers in the parking lot and then got serious - he was trying to go for a PoT in the half and I was trying to pace myself coming off injury this year. Of course, we all know what happened when Mother Nature had her way, but to me ... when all the Goofys show up, that's when it's "Go Time".

I think you both saw where I was heading, and that was PPO something for breakfast! You guys say do it on 5k day, and I just remembered... I'm running the 5k! It's why you made it your avatar, @FelisLachesis ! Yes, I'm arguing with myself!

Oh this is going to make my ADR window so much fun!

Ok serious question.

So, 5k starts at 6:00am and let's say you don't start till 6:20, take 40 minutes, that's 7:00am, that would give you 1 hour to go through the finish area and get to ADR. If you are relying on Disney buses to get you everywhere, it could delay you just waiting for a bus. You could just walk right into EPCOT for an 8:00am and that would work & just freshen up in a bathroom. Plus, you may start later than that and then your time is even shorter. Personally, I wouldn't make 8:00am ones, but that's just me as I don't like to be rushed afterwards & have to shower & we rely on buses. After 5ks we clean up at the room and make it to a park at close to 9:00am and after 10ks more like 9:15/9:30 (from starting in A or B corrals for 5k/10k). What about making one of the last breakfast times, like a 10:00am, to have as more of a brunch so you can still do park opening rides & just eat grab & go foods or snacks right after running?

Last edited:
For the Sunday question; last year (my first marathon) I called Via Napoli on my way to my room almost crying and cancelling my reservation for late that afternoon. My body HURT, y'all. I did not want to get ready in a hurry and make it to a meal. They were so super nice and didn't charge me to cancel it. SO, you may opt for getting pizza from the resort quick service and blow all of those months of ADR planning like I did :)

One year, we were staying at Old Key West and we had Jiko reservations. That evening, my wife just couldn't make it. They were nice and didn't charge us cancellation fees. We ended up ordering Sassagoula pizza and watching NFL playoffs in the room... and had a great time!

I have a fully completed spreadsheet now with numerous ADRs all set for the making. :D This plan will likely totally blow apart between now and January, but it sure was fun figuring it out.

Oh yeah, I'm in the same boat, my girl eats so little, and I want to find every ADR I can and sit down whenever I can! For her, even one restaurant plate is too much. I'll eat mine, eat hers, and still be chasing down a Mickey Bar!

I'm watching my friend rip his hair out as the ADRs for 2018 seem to be failing randomly. 2017 ADRs seem to be working mostly fine, though. I hope they get this fixed sooner than later.

I have a fully completed spreadsheet now with numerous ADRs all set for the making. :D This plan will likely totally blow apart between now and January, but it sure was fun figuring it out.

This is me. Have plans ready to go in a master doc with preferred times. And I know by the time I get to Dopey week, it'll be 100% changed and I'll be still changing it the day before each race ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter