Man almost attacked by alligator in Seven Seas Lagoon

seen a gator once at WDW at CSR in 2014. However, the strangest thing we ever came across was when we saw a number of snakes at the mini golf at BB. Being from the UK we panicked and were laughed at when we reported it to the staff. NOW MAYBE if you are from the area you recognise the difference between poisonous snakes/spiders but with lots of visitors you should expect the questions (wouldn't be dumb enough to enjoy the scenery of alligators or snakes though.)Most exciting wildlife spot for us was a wolf on the road out of Wilderness Lodge and YES I did take a fantastic photo (from the safety of DME :) )

I had a good giggle at myself last Fall when I had an armadillo run out right in front of me on the pathway just before bag check at Epcot. As the man at security was going through my bag, I blurted out, "Hey! I just had an armadillo run out right in front of me." His reply, "Thank you, Princess. We'll get right on that." He probably thought I was on drugs at rope drop. :P

I had a good giggle at myself last Fall when I had an armadillo run out right in front of me on the pathway just before bag check at Epcot. As the man at security was going through my bag, I blurted out, "Hey! I just had an armadillo run out right in front of me." His reply, "Thank you, Princess. We'll get right on that." He probably thought I was on drugs at rope drop. :P
Years ago, when I used to stay at Fort Wilderness, we would see armadillos all the time.

I wonder if this is the little guy you saw? We saw him from the wooden boardwalk cutting over to Frontierland. We were there in November, the week before Thanksgiving. In the picture he is in the back under the ferns and plants.
View attachment 145771

It is very possible it was the same one, especially since we were on the wooden boardwalk when we spotted him or her. It was small enough to be kind of cute. We were there the last week of October. :)

seen a gator once at WDW at CSR in 2014. However, the strangest thing we ever came across was when we saw a number of snakes at the mini golf at BB. Being from the UK we panicked and were laughed at when we reported it to the staff. NOW MAYBE if you are from the area you recognise the difference between poisonous snakes/spiders but with lots of visitors you should expect the questions (wouldn't be dumb enough to enjoy the scenery of alligators or snakes though.)Most exciting wildlife spot for us was a wolf on the road out of Wilderness Lodge and YES I did take a fantastic photo (from the safety of DME :) )

Don't wanna be pedantic but you saw a coyote. Wolves have been extirpated from Florida for decades beyond a small range of red wolves in the panhandle.

Resurrecting old threads is normal, isn't it? An alligator? In Florida? I'm amazed! (not) ;-)

If the thread's that dead, why is the bottom banner thingy \/ \/ \/ promoting it to me?

Saw one on the Magnolia Golf Course once. I was literally the only one out (sunrise tee time). Problem was I hit my ball within 10 feet of the big guy. I promptly declared that one a "lost ball."

Saw a gator on the way back to Shades of Green one time in the 90s. No surprise and I have no idea why anyone would be. It's Florida and they are known to wander some great distances. Lakes are a common habitat for them. Just stay away from them and you are fine. I remember people running back to the lake to see the gator and thought it was stupid because they were getting close to the lake! If he was hungry, someone would have died!

While at the River Roost Bar at Port Orleans Riverside last night, I met a man who was staying at the Poly for a convention. He knew nothing of Disney and was looking for live entertainment, so he was sent to see Bob Jackson (or "Bobo the Clown," as his wife called him!).

He mentioned he saw an alligator in the water while walking between the Poly and the Grand. He said he heard hissing first, then he saw it. He even caught some of it on video on his phone. I kid no one, on the video was the gator peeking up through the water, then coming on shore approaching the man. I told him the hissing was a warning and that the gator probably scurried up because he got too close to get it on the camera.

They do exist!
While at the River Roost Bar at Port Orleans Riverside last night, I met a man who was staying at the Poly for a convention. He knew nothing of Disney and was looking for live entertainment, so he was sent to see Bob Jackson (or "Bobo the Clown," as his wife called him!).

He mentioned he saw an alligator in the water while walking between the Poly and the Grand. He said he heard hissing first, then he saw it. He even caught some of it on video on his phone. I kid no one, on the video was the gator peeking up through the water, then coming on shore approaching the man. I told him the hissing was a warning and that the gator probably scurried up because he got too close to get it on the camera.

They do exist!

An alligator came out of the water by the walking path between Boardwalk and Hollywood Studios when we visited in June 2012.

In April 2014, a pretty large snake slithered out from underneath the garbage can just outside the gift shop by Mission Mars in Epcot. I was standing there with my 7-yr-old son while waiting for my husband and older son.

Visitors have to remember that the resort is in the middle of Florida, and these types of animals are present. However, it's easy to get distracted and not think of this while you're enjoying the parks.

I feel horrible for this family and for the other families and children who witnessed this horrible situation. Such a heartbreaking week.

Clearly you won't want to eat these ones though - they have brain eating amoebas taking them out and the news refuses to report it!

I think the gators are never killed by the brain-eating amoebas because they don't seem to have much of one. According to Ron Magill (Zoo Miami), gators are not that smart.

We stay at Shades of Green across from the Poly alot. There's defintely alligators in their ponds and in the golf course ponds around Shades. When we were there in Oct. the front desk CM told us to be careful walking to the Poly. He said that there were known to be alligators in the trees along the path between the Poly and Shades. We walked the path on several occasions and never heard anything but I did stay very close to hubby.

It's sad, but I guess a fact of life, that one can't walk that pathway without worrying that something like a lightning-fast alligator will come up and interrupt your vacation. How horrible.

It's sad, but I guess a fact of life, that one can't walk that pathway without worrying that something like a lightning-fast alligator will come up and interrupt your vacation. How horrible.
So so horrible -- I'm staying at poly & obviously freaks me out now :-( prayers for the family

All the times we have been to WDW we have never seen a gator...but we know that they are there....I always wondered why they had the beaches and things you could take out into the water...I mean one fall and the gators could come fast.....we like to sit out on the verandah so always ask not to be given a ground floor because of gators and we like to be at the water....

I can see however how many may not think about gators at WDW...after all its WDW...and they would never let us be on a beach where a gator could attack....or walk at night near the waters edge....I have also walked around the resorts and back and forth at night from DTD to Saratoga springs so busy gabbing and not paying attention to what could be lurking....its easy to get all caught up with being at WDW....that you don't want to think about the outside world of magic....

Also with all the gators there not to mention other creatures we never hear of gators attacking...NEVER! so that alone can give us a feeling of safety...like one person that works at Disney said...at night all around the resorts and parks...it is like jurassic park out there....

All the times we have been to WDW we have never seen a gator...but we know that they are there....I always wondered why they had the beaches and things you could take out into the water...I mean one fall and the gators could come fast.....we like to sit out on the verandah so always ask not to be given a ground floor because of gators and we like to be at the water....

I can see however how many may not think about gators at WDW...after all its WDW...and they would never let us be on a beach where a gator could attack....or walk at night near the waters edge....I have also walked around the resorts and back and forth at night from DTD to Saratoga springs so busy gabbing and not paying attention to what could be lurking....its easy to get all caught up with being at WDW....that you don't want to think about the outside world of magic....

Also with all the gators there not to mention other creatures we never hear of gators attacking...NEVER! so that alone can give us a feeling of safety...like one person that works at Disney said...at night all around the resorts and parks...it is like jurassic park out there....

If you look at the first few posts of this thread, you can see that "wise" people already knew not to go in the lakes. But most visitors have not read that thread. If there had been some sort of sign to impart the same wisdom that this message board already had, this may have been prevented.

A "no swimming" sign does not impart this same wisdom.

I think the gators are never killed by the brain-eating amoebas because they don't seem to have much of one. According to Ron Magill (Zoo Miami), gators are not that smart.

Size of brain does not correlate strongly to intelligence. What's more important is the number of sulci and gyri. The reason that alligators tend to not be affected by naegleria fowleri has to do with their nasal structures and the neuroanatomical protection of the brain that the alligators has.

I am fascinated that this thread is seven years old, was resurrected in January of 2016. The more things change...

With all the threads about "tips and tricks", "must dos", "things to pack" etc. how about somebody post a "sticky" with "WARNINGS" about WDW vacations. A reminder that even though you are in the "bubble" there are still dangers. That stuff still happens...even at the Happiest Place on Earth
Make a top 10 list of things to be wary of...things that can ruin a vacation.
Maybe, just maybe, someone will be planning their trip and take just that minute to say, hey, I read about this, we should not...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter