Man almost attacked by alligator in Seven Seas Lagoon

Any info whether upcoming, recent or prior lawsuit(s) for gator/snake/etc attacks? And, BTW, my DW advises me that Armadillos carry the bacteria for both TB and Leprosy , FWIW.

Size of brain does not correlate strongly to intelligence. What's more important is the number of sulci and gyri. The reason that alligators tend to not be affected by naegleria fowleri has to do with their nasal structures and the neuroanatomical protection of the brain that the alligators has.
Wow - preach it sister girl!! I am IMPRESSED Cindy - and I am TOTALLY SERIOUS!!!!! :worship:

Years ago I was driving through Algonquin Provincial Park in the Fall, in central Ontario, when I came around the corner on the deserted highway and saw a rental car pulled over to the side of the road. In the distance, a man with a video camera was making his way through a marsh toward a very large bull moose. This was in the height of the fall rut. The moose had stopped eating and had lowered its head, just watching the human approach. Behind the man, trudged his wife through the knee deep water with a young child in tow and an infant strapped onto her chest in a baby sling. I pulled over and yelled at them to pls get back to the car, that it will kill you. The man kept moving forward with his eye to his camera. His wife turned to me and gave me a lovely salute. You know the kind. :sad2: Sad that sometimes you can't save people from themselves. More sad that the animal is usually the one to pay in such a stupid, completely preventable encounter.
City slickers :(

I am fascinated that this thread is seven years old, was resurrected in January of 2016. The more things change...

With all the threads about "tips and tricks", "must dos", "things to pack" etc. how about somebody post a "sticky" with "WARNINGS" about WDW vacations. A reminder that even though you are in the "bubble" there are still dangers. That stuff still happens...even at the Happiest Place on Earth
Make a top 10 list of things to be wary of...things that can ruin a vacation.
Maybe, just maybe, someone will be planning their trip and take just that minute to say, hey, I read about this, we should not...
Could add the 'child bitten by cottonmouth' thread to that. Reading that former thread has made me a bit more aware. Even though I'm used to living in places with the occasional poisonous snake, it's easy to get caught up in the magic and let your guard down in the bubble. This suggestion is a pretty good one. Just because we 'should' know doesn't mean our brain is always engaged - even the smart brains take a 'vacation' now and then :crazy:

We stay at Shades of Green across from the Poly alot. There's defintely alligators in their ponds and in the golf course ponds around Shades. When we were there in Oct. the front desk CM told us to be careful walking to the Poly. He said that there were known to be alligators in the trees along the path between the Poly and Shades. We walked the path on several occasions and never heard anything but I did stay very close to hubby.

It was scary on the path between the Poly and SOG, especially at night as you could see the gators eyes shining. I told my daughter it felt like we were the animals on display at the zoo.

We've also seen gators in the water by the bridge connecting SS to DS, as well as at OKW in 2014. I have only seen a snake once, thank God, as I am deathly afraid of them!

:blush: Part of being a neuroscientist, I get super nerdy when brains are brought up. :rotfl:
I'm no neuroscientist but I am a bit of a 'neuro nerd'... if you ever want to talk brains, I am all ears and willing to discuss/learn.

I'll admit that I am a bit shocked whenever people are surprised that alligators and snakes are in Florida/at WDW specifically. I've seen alligators at OKW and while taking the boats (ie. from POR to DTD) I don't even know how many times and never really thought much of it. Snakes we've seen as well, including the odd cottonmouth, to a somewhat lesser degree. Maybe it's the 'Disney bubble' aspect to it all affecting how people perceive the prevalence of wildlife? Part of it might be that I grew up with a wildlife vet relative and took it for granted... as a child when we would visit, if we saw an animal, we would be told a bit about it and how to respect it and understand it's behaviours. If we had any questions, they would be answered. Sometimes I need to remind myself that this has given me some biases that make me forget that not everyone expects these sorts of wildlife run-ins. Given the location, in my experience animals like snakes and alligators seem to be about as well managed as could be reasonably expected. That being said... you can't really keep nature out, which is usually fine but sometimes has sad and unfortunate consequences.

I have to say that reading this thread from start to finish is putting the Mary Poppins scene in my head from the table on the ceiling "I love to laugh" then they all have to get down.... "That's sad, very sad."

It was scary on the path between the Poly and SOG, especially at night as you could see the gators eyes shining. I told my daughter it felt like we were the animals on display at the zoo.

We've also seen gators in the water by the bridge connecting SS to DS, as well as at OKW in 2014. I have only seen a snake once, thank God, as I am deathly afraid of them!

Perhaps 15 years ago I was walking from the Poly to SOG one night. The SOG gate attendant told me to watch for gators. There were lots of dark patches on the sidewalk caused either by moonlight shadows or fallen palm branches but one turned out to be a small gator which I didn't realize until I was up close and personal. It must have been dozing because it failed to notice me until I'd backed up and taken a wide detour across the road.

Does anyone else have a hard time telling Bob Iger apart from Chris Christy?

Last edited:
This thread has been up for a while, and I still read it as:

Man, almost attacked by alligator in Seven Seas Lagoon

My mind put a comma where one doesn't exist... o_O

So taking this picture was a bad idea??? :confused:

232323232%7Ffp4336%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E588%3E%3A%3A%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3235647%3A66324nu0mrj

Yeah yeah, I try not to post on the zombie threads but ..............
1) I also read the title wrong as others
2) WOW, 2009 and there were alligators in the water ..... who knew :confused3
3) This photo made me LOL ................ first thing I noticed was his "croc" in the "alligator" water. I mean I might be tired but that just cracked me up.

Several questions.
How many gators are estimated to be on WDW property? Is that public knowledge, or a "state secret"? My guess is "state secret".
Do the lake signs state "No swimming"? If so, why not a "No Wading" sign? Or use your imagination on proper signage. That's a free-one for all the pettifoggers (look it up) out there.

Several questions.
How many gators are estimated to be on WDW property? Is that public knowledge, or a "state secret"? My guess is "state secret".
Do the lake signs state "No swimming"? If so, why not a "No Wading" sign? Or use your imagination on proper signage. That's a free-one for all the pettifoggers (look it up) out there.
these are the new signs

image.jpeg

I don't think you can make it any clearer and no imagination needed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!