Mama Melrose or The Hollywood Brown Derby?

WeLoveLilo05

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, trying to figure out my DHS day. We did Mama Melrose probably 10 years ago and didnt like it at all. I don't know if we should give it another try because chefs and menus change and it seems there might be more on that menu my youngest would eat. Or try the brown derby, I ate there once when I was like 16 and honestly I cant remember it.
We are on DDP, if we do the brown derby I would have to pay out of pocket for our Storybook dining reservation.

If you're from an area where there is an abundance of great Italian restaurants, you'll probably still hate MM. You might check the HBD menu to see if there are choices that suit your family.:)

Personally, I'm not blown away by either. MM to me is a rather average 1ts restaurant and HBD is a rather average Signature restaurant. If you had to choose, I'd go HBD. But really what I would do is make the trip over to the Boardwalk area and since you are on the DDP, I'd go to Yachtsman Steakhouse or Flying Fish. Both of these are a 15-minute walk (if in shape and can walk with no problems), or a quick boat ride over. Both of these restaurants in the YSH and FF simply blow away anything DHS has to offer. I really am not a fan of any restaurant in the Studios and very rarely will I eat in this park including CS, and almost never do I do a sitdown restaurant in HS.

Personally, I'm not blown away by either. MM to me is a rather average 1ts restaurant and HBD is a rather average Signature restaurant. If you had to choose, I'd go HBD. But really what I would do is make the trip over to the Boardwalk area and since you are on the DDP, I'd go to Yachtsman Steakhouse or Flying Fish. Both of these are a 15-minute walk (if in shape and can walk with no problems), or a quick boat ride over. Both of these restaurants in the YSH and FF simply blow away anything DHS has to offer. I really am not a fan of any restaurant in the Studios and very rarely will I eat in this park including CS, and almost never do I do a sitdown restaurant in HS.
The food at H S is terrible. Can't get around that.

The food at H S is terrible. Can't get around that.

I agree I would call the food in HS as terrible. Great minds think alike! LOL... However, opinions on food are so subjective. What I love others may hate, and what I hate others may love. An example is that I love San Angel Inn, many hate it. So many rave and love Le Cellier; I can't stand it and it's at the bottom of the food chain for me in Disney. :-)

I would head to Disney Springs. There are so many great choices there.

I agree I would call the food in HS as terrible. Great minds think alike! LOL... However, opinions on food are so subjective. What I love others may hate, and what I hate others may love. An example is that I love San Angel Inn, many hate it. So many rave and love Le Cellier; I can't stand it and it's at the bottom of the food chain for me in Disney. :-)
Wow. Love me cellier.. The only thing the Canadians did right. Think about the p.m. No not b m.... This a joke people.... Calm down

Hi everyone, trying to figure out my DHS day. We did Mama Melrose probably 10 years ago and didnt like it at all. I don't know if we should give it another try because chefs and menus change and it seems there might be more on that menu my youngest would eat. Or try the brown derby, I ate there once when I was like 16 and honestly I cant remember it.
We are on DDP, if we do the brown derby I would have to pay out of pocket for our Storybook dining reservation.

For us it would be HBD over MM. We make a habit of eating there but generally at the lounge. Unfortunately the lounge is not accepted on the dining plan. Still the restaurant is also good just I don't like the hassle of making a lot of ADRs.

Eating at the Boardwalk area is definitely another possibility.

MM was definitely better 10 years ago. I agree with the PP. Try one of the Swan/Dolphin restaurants if you're going to have to pay out of pocket for a meal. Check for AAA, AP etc discounts.

Alternately eat at one of the Boardwalk restaurants.

If you go to BD, get the grapefruit cake.

I typically feel that fruit has no place in dessert, but it was one of the best things I ate on my recent trip.

HBD is definitely the better restaurant, but, I don't know if I would do that and then have to pay OOP for Storybook. As others have suggested, if you have time, there are much better 1 TS credit restaurants at BC/YC and BWI - Ale & Compass and Trattoria would be our choices, but, if you like seafood buffets, Cape May could be a good choice as well. Or even consider doing QS in DHS and saving that TS credit to upgrade another meal to a signature restaurant?

hi, thanks I made the reservations for HBD. I would love to go to ale & compass but I just don't think I would make it back to try and get on slinky dog before park closes (trying to get DHS done in one day and couldn't get FPs for SDD that day, and we arent early risers for RD). Do you all think I would if I made a 6pm ressie? Family of 4, 2 adults 2 kids. DHS closes at 9. We have done yachtsman a few times, always a good meal! I guess was just looking to eat in park for convenience.

oh and what do you get from HBD? Was looking at the steak! but chicken looks good for a change too.

hi, thanks I made the reservations for HBD. I would love to go to ale & compass but I just don't think I would make it back to try and get on slinky dog before park closes (trying to get DHS done in one day and couldn't get FPs for SDD that day, and we arent early risers for RD). Do you all think I would if I made a 6pm ressie? Family of 4, 2 adults 2 kids. DHS closes at 9. We have done yachtsman a few times, always a good meal! I guess was just looking to eat in park for convenience.

If you do decide to keep HBD, I would re-think how you're going to pay. The adult TS credits are "worth" about $42 each. Even with the steak and an alcoholic beverage, you're not going to reach $84. The kids meals at HBD are less than $20. I would pay OOP here, and make another ADR sometime during the trip to use that last credit.

We did Mama Melrose last trip and the food was good, everyone left satisfied. It's nothing out of this world, especially if you have good Italian in your area. I have not been to HBD but it always gets good reviews.

I have alternative suggestions:

Either 50s pt if you wish to utilise ts credits
Or
Book an adr at ABC commissary and use counter service credits or oop(whichever suits best)

I have alternative suggestions:

Either 50s pt if you wish to utilise ts credits
Or
Book an adr at ABC commissary and use counter service credits or oop(whichever suits best)

OP, I like this idea, though I would probably suggest SciFi Dine In instead of 50s PT, especially if you want to pay out of pocket for it.

We ate at both Mama Melrose and HBD and were underwhelmed by both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter