• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MAJOR changes to Genie+!

I’m not club level and I’d pay it.
This is why it will sell out. Enough people will buy it so they have to cap it. Genie+ won’t be for the masses it will be an elite level benefit.
Again not sure if you're in it for a good faith conversation.

My comment was entirely about the comparison of Club Level additional FP charge. It was not about someone willing to pay $50. Great that you'd be willing to pay that but that wasn't what I was even conversing about. I get the comparison the PP was making but I also get why that option for Club Level is not the same level as going from $15 to the thrown around $50 for every person who wishes to purchase Genie+.

I think we should agree to disagree at this point regarding this thread and leave it at that.

Again not sure if you're in it for a good faith conversation..

My comment was entirely about the comparison of Club Level additional FP charge. It was not about someone willing to pay $50. Great that you'd be willing to pay that but that wasn't what I was even conversing about. I get the comparison the PP was making but I also get why that option for Club Level is not the same level as going from $15 to the thrown around $50 for every person who wishes to purchase Genie+.

I think we should agree to disagree at this point regarding this thread and leave it at that.
Because someone produces a counter point to what you’re saying does NOT mean it’s bad faith. Because you don’t like a responsive does not mean it’s bad faith.

You made a point about the masses and how there are two different types of people. I have an anecdotal response in how that doesn’t apply. I said I would pay $50 and I’m not club level. I am the masses. Good day.

Luckily the experience described in that article is nothing like the experience I had. Got plenty of LLs every day and never had a problem working around ADRs. Genie+ was a great asset for us and not stressful.
Exactly my experience - had we had the stamina - we could have just kept going with plenty of LLs. As it was, we didnt rope drop, got to the park at 10A, hit what we were most interested in - had a leisurely afternoon and a great dinner.

Single price one day ticket regular price is $119.99. We’re not talking about random sales because we’re keeping the discussion apples to apples.

Disney tickets start at $109. The broader point is that Disney is not the most expensive as the poster stated. I only need one data point to prove that wrong.
Next month, comparing apples to apples, Seaworld is between $65 and $97 with one day at $105. Disney is $129 and $134 with one date at $139. The cheapest Disney day is more expensive than the highest SeaWorld day. yes, that’s a sale price but Seaworld is like Kohl’s, they always have a deal and no one pays full price. Disney, on the other hand, rarely puts their park passes on sale and even when they do it’s part of a package deal which forces you to stay onsite.

Isn't that the interesting thing? The ADR booking with Genie+

I mean you can get lucky because your ADR lined up right with the LL option you got/selected but then you could have it cross over. When that happened with FP+ because it was largely done in advance people could figure out more effectively what they wanted to do. With Legacy FP you could see the return time and it'd be rarer for it to just suddenly change on you like it seems to be happening more with Genie+. With it being day of and having issues such as the times changing from when you looked it's like a toss up if you're going to be in the clear or something interfering.

This adjustment to purchasing day of won't correct that though but I have been wondering while I was there at Disney are there people choosing to forgo ADRs or do less of them to lessen that chance? There were some availability really close or day that I thought probably hadn't been much in the past. Of course some availability would be there when people would cancel before the 24 hours but I saw the wait lists be full then be un-full, etc. It just seemed like perhaps people were making a decision to not try and plan so much of both when in the past it was easier to pre-plan both and have your day mostly filled.
We had lunch and dinner ADRs, and we were able to work around it. For example, at 7A we picked up the RoTR for 1P with a lunch reservation at 11:30A at Brown Derby. Our first LL was nearby at Mickey's Runaway Railroad which we picked right after lunch - also at 1P. Since we got to select again 2 hours after park open, we stacked another LL at Smugglers for 1:30P, rinsed and repeated as we started to use the LLs for other attractions. We didnt need to rope drop, change our ADR, or feel rushed to get into the park before 10:30A, hit all the headliners and be out of the park by 5P to relax, have a cocktail (or two) and dinner by 7:30P at California Grill and stuck around for fireworks at MK.

Next month, comparing apples to apples, Seaworld is between $65 and $97 with one day at $105. Disney is $129 and $134 with one date at $139. The cheapest Disney day is more expensive than the highest SeaWorld day. yes, that’s a sale price but Seaworld is like Kohl’s, they always have a deal and no one pays full price. Disney, on the other hand, rarely puts their park passes on sale and even when they do it’s part of a package deal which forces you to stay onsite.
Sale price is not apples to apples. But like I said, I only need ONE data point to prove that what the poster said was false.

And arguing this one silly position is counterintuitive the the point of the conversation. This is inherently the problem with internet discussions. People get wrapped up in a single point while completely disregarding the entire topic and point of the thread. And for what? To try and get a “gotcha” on someone and get some satisfaction that you won? Lol. It’s sad.

Focus on the intent. Disney is NOT the most expensive. End of story.

The type of guest who is staying Club Level (anywhere) is not the same as what is being spoken about. I didn't really follow the conversation about thrown out there prices but a $50 per person per day for the masses is different than charging a very small set of guests at Club Level who even wanted more FPs because not every person who stayed Club Level purchased the option and there's a finite number of Club Level rooms even offered.

For the masses because of how Disney chose to do their program a $50 per person per day would be quite the jump.

For your example, while I do actually get where you're thinking, it's just two different types of guests completely there.

I’m not club level and would never stay club level due to cost but I would pay $50 for DHS at least. Probably MK too. I added G+ to my 9 day package months ago.

I think Disney wants to sell fewer G+ due to the language of limited availability but still make the same profit so they’ll raise prices. $50 for certain times of year doesn’t seem too high to me. Disney doesn’t care if they are catering to club level kind of people. They just want that money. I think they’d still sell out certain days at $50.

Last edited:

I’m not club level and would never stay club level due to cost but I would pay $50 for DHS at least.

I think Disney wants to sell fewer G+ due to the language of limited availability but still make the same profit so they’ll raise prices. $50 for certain times of year doesn’t seem too high to me.
I hear ya I just was responding to your "club level guests were paying $50 a day for 3 extra FP+ yet some think G+ costing $50 a day is astronomical." because well I get why to people it that price floated around would be. Two different types of people out there because your average person isn't even thinking about Club Level but your average person wants to be able to purchase Genie+. I've been saying it for a while now that Disney doesn't care who you are so long as you've got money to spare. But with that comes understanding how others feel about this and that with respects to pricing.

I think most of us think the hope for Disney is less people purchase it, it was one of the reasons I felt they should have started with a system more like Universal because as it stands right now it will upset quite a few people if they jump too high too quickly, it would have upset people had they started high when they brought it back, but you would have hoped that would have created a better program at they done more like Universal leading to an overall better customer experience even while we can can "ugh Disney nickel and diming us" lol.

Everyone has their line in the sand where it's no-go, I just guess understand why a sudden jump to a random quoted hypothetical $50 would be a big deal, I was more considering others not just considering what I would or wouldn't be willing to pay for in respects to your comment.

What would be something that could change things is if dynamic pricing was implemented if it was also dynamic pricing for different parks. Individual perception of value for a given park and the charge for that day would probably interact with someone's line in the sand.

I hear ya I just was responding to your "club level guests were paying $50 a day for 3 extra FP+ yet some think G+ costing $50 a day is astronomical." because well I get why to people it that price floated around would be. Two different types of people out there because your average person isn't even thinking about Club Level but your average person wants to be able to purchase Genie+. I've been saying it for a while now that Disney doesn't care who you are so long as you've got money to spare. But with that comes understanding how others feel about this and that with respects to pricing.

I think most of us think the hope for Disney is less people purchase it, it was one of the reasons I felt they should have started with a system more like Universal because as it stands right now it will upset quite a few people if they jump too high too quickly, it would have upset people had they started high when they brought it back, but you would have hoped that would have created a better program at they done more like Universal leading to an overall better customer experience even while we can can "ugh Disney nickel and diming us" lol.

Everyone has their line in the sand where it's no-go, I just guess understand why a sudden jump to a random quoted hypothetical $50 would be a big deal, I was more considering others not just considering what I would or wouldn't be willing to pay for in respects to your comment.

What would be something that could change things is if dynamic pricing was implemented if it was also dynamic pricing for different parks. Individual perception of value for a given park and the charge for that day would probably interact with someone's line in the sand.
I agree with you! Look I can agree with you :)

I would pay $50 today even if they didn’t change one thing except drastically reduce the number of people that have it.

That reason right there is the core problem with genie+ and why it doesn’t work as well as it should. Too many people have it.
The flaw with everyone who says “I hope they drastically reduce capacity” is that you assume for some reason that you *you* will definitely be one of the ones who gets to buy it. If they drastically reduce capacity it will be a madhouse to buy genie whenever the magical time is that it goes live. It’ll be like getting a ROTR VQ during peak times.

The flaw with everyone who says “I hope they drastically reduce capacity” is that you assume for some reason that you *you* will definitely be one of the ones who gets to buy it. If they drastically reduce capacity it will be a madhouse to buy genie whenever the magical time is that it goes live. It’ll be like getting a ROTR VQ during peak times.
Not if they drastically increase the price too.

I hear ya. I can see how people can think it’s an astronomical price but people have paid it and would still pay it and Disney knows this so it’s not a crazy number to them. As we all know they don’t care who they price out at this point.

If there’s dynamic pricing at each park I can see DHS being crazy expensive!

My biggest worry tbh ... and why I hope it will be a perk (advance purchase) for DVC, Deluxe or All Disney Hotel Guests ...

Sale price is not apples to apples. But like I said, I only need ONE data point to prove that what the poster said was false.

And arguing this one silly position is counterintuitive the the point of the conversation. This is inherently the problem with internet discussions. People get wrapped up in a single point while completely disregarding the entire topic and point of the thread. And for what? To try and get a “gotcha” on someone and get some satisfaction that you won? Lol. It’s sad.

Focus on the intent. Disney is NOT the most expensive. End of story.
Sales price is apples to apples when sales price is the usual price. Which is true in this case. It’s like the cruise industry. NCL’s rack rate for a week on the Breakaway in the caribbean on 5/26 is $2169. The sale price is $649 and there is always a sale. Always. DCL’s price on the Fantasy on 5/25 is $1873. DCL doesn’t go on sale. No one in their right mind would say that NCL is more expensive than DCL.

Sales price is apples to apples when sales price is the usual price. Which is true in this case. It’s like the cruise industry. NCL’s rack rate for a week on the Breakaway in the caribbean on 5/26 is $2169. The sale price is $649 and there is always a sale. Always. DCL’s price on the Fantasy on 5/25 is $1873. DCL doesn’t go on sale. No one in their right mind would say that NCL is more expensive than DCL.
No it’s not. And I’m not going down this rabbit hole any further. Disney is not the most expensive. That is the only point to be made. Period.

I hear ya. I can see how people can think it’s an astronomical price but people have paid it and would still pay it and Disney knows this so it’s not a crazy number to them. As we all know they don’t care who they price out at this point.

If there’s dynamic pricing at each park I can see DHS being crazy expensive!
Side note: they need to expand HS in the worst way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter