MAJOR changes to Genie+!

I brought up the entire vacation because it is relevant to people being upset about products and services being taken away from all aspects of their trip while prices are going up.
You brought up the entire vacation in response to why Disney tickets are more expensive than other theme park tickets. It’s just a disingenuous argument to make.

A separate discussion as to why people are upset at the rising cost of a Disney vacation is valid but not comparing it to other theme parks.

I’m responding to the person saying Disney was one of the most expensive trips you can take. It’s just not. Anyone can go to Hawaii cheap. Especially if you live on the west coast.

You can simply not reply to me anymore if all you have to offer is snark.
It actually is one of the most expensive trips for many people, us included something I've spoken about before on these Boards ever since I joined. Lot of people during this pandemic and over my time on the DIS too have posted on threads galore about taking other vacations, including ones to Europe for less than what they paid for Disney or would be paying. I'm not sure if you're a lurker who just joined or if you're under a different DIS name but of course you can make trips more expensive than Disney but it's pretty well understood that Disney is considered quite an expensive destination and there's a plethora of options that are not.

I don't live on the west coast and our flights were quite expensive back then to get to Hawaii without SWA around to go to Hawaii (we flew Delta).

I didn't give you snark, that was a "huh?" moment with your discussion. Like bring up Tahiti as if it's a feasible comparison for the bulk of people, that doesn't really make sense to compare that and use that as a way to say Disney is more of an economical choice. I would love to go to Fiji, Tahiti or Maldives but it's too far away to even think about it like well above a day in just flights and for us it's getting to the coast to catch those flights. It seemed purposeful to use Tahiti when that is already out of reach for many people, even the DISers who skew towards high end income, hence my response. I just can't quite tell if you're in the conversation on a good faith effort or not truth be told but please correct me if I'm wrong :flower3:

It actually is one of the most expensive trips for many people, us included something I've spoken about before on these Boards ever since I joined. Lot of people during this pandemic and over my time on the DIS too have posted on threads galore about taking other vacations, including ones to Europe for less than what they paid for Disney or would be paying. I'm not sure if you're a lurker who just joined or if you're under a different DIS name but of course you can make trips more expensive than Disney but it's pretty well understood that Disney is considered quite an expensive destination and there's a plethora of options that are not.

I don't live on the west coast and our flights were quite expensive back then to get to Hawaii without SWA around to go to Hawaii (we flew Delta).

I didn't give you snark, that was a "huh?" moment with your discussion. Like bring up Tahiti as if it's a feasible comparison for the bulk of people, that doesn't really make sense to compare that and use that as a way to say Disney is more of an economical choice. I would love to go to Fiji, Tahiti or Maldives but it's too far away to even think about it like well above a day in just flights and for us it's getting to the coast to catch those flights. It seemed purposeful to use Tahiti when that is already out of reach for many people, even the DISers who skew towards high end income, hence my response.
I’m not saying it’s not expensive. What I said was that it’s a disingenuous argument to compare an entire Disney vacation to simply buying tickets to a theme park. It’s apples to oranges.

I could’ve said Hawaii or anywhere else. ANY vacation is going to be more expensive than theme park tickets. Disney is an entire vacation and not just a daytime destination (for most people).

I didn't give you snark, that was a "huh?" moment with your discussion. Like bring up Tahiti as if it's a feasible comparison for the bulk of people, that doesn't really make sense to compare that and use that as a way to say Disney is more of an economical choice. I would love to go to Fiji, Tahiti or Maldives but it's too far away to even think about it like well above a day in just flights and for us it's getting to the coast to catch those flights. It seemed purposeful to use Tahiti when that is already out of reach for many people, even the DISers who skew towards high end income, hence my response. I just can't quite tell if you're in the conversation on a good faith effort or not truth be told but please correct me if I'm wrong :flower3:
The problem here is that there are two discussions being conflated in order to argue different points.

We were talking about theme park ticket and the other poster said “there’s not a theme park more expensive than Disney”. To which we gave examples of how that was wrong. Then to combat that this person argued an entire Disney vacation. That’s an entirely separate discussion having nothing to do with theme park ticket prima facie.

I'm happy that Genie+ didn't interfere with your ADRs but unfortunately it has for many others, including myself. On one of my MK days last week I tried to buy a ILL for Mine Train at 2 pm, but then it moved to 3:30 and then by the time my payment went through it was at 5 pm, the exact same time as my dinner at Jungle Skipper. I had to get the CMs at the blue umbrellas to help me, which they did but they told me if there are no LLs available they are unable to do anything. If there had not been anything available I wouldn't been screwed regardless. My group even decided to skip an ADR on our HS day because we didn't want to deal with trying to fix any Genie+/ILLs.
Isn't that the interesting thing? The ADR booking with Genie+

I mean you can get lucky because your ADR lined up right with the LL option you got/selected but then you could have it cross over. When that happened with FP+ because it was largely done in advance people could figure out more effectively what they wanted to do. With Legacy FP you could see the return time and it'd be rarer for it to just suddenly change on you like it seems to be happening more with Genie+. With it being day of and having issues such as the times changing from when you looked it's like a toss up if you're going to be in the clear or something interfering.

This adjustment to purchasing day of won't correct that though but I have been wondering while I was there at Disney are there people choosing to forgo ADRs or do less of them to lessen that chance? There were some availability really close or day that I thought probably hadn't been much in the past. Of course some availability would be there when people would cancel before the 24 hours but I saw the wait lists be full then be un-full, etc. It just seemed like perhaps people were making a decision to not try and plan so much of both when in the past it was easier to pre-plan both and have your day mostly filled.

The problem here is that there are two discussions being conflated in order to argue different points.

We were talking about theme park ticket and the other poster said “there’s not a theme park more expensive than Disney”. To which we gave examples of how that was wrong. Then to combat that this person argued an entire Disney vacation. That’s an entirely separate discussion having nothing to do with theme park ticket prima facie.
The entire disney vacation has a ton to do with theme park ticket pricing to the vast majority of people who visit Disney World. Acting like you're only allowed to discuss theme park ticket pricing and what you get for it in a bubble doesn't make any sense. It's one part of the overall picture and people are getting fed up with it.

Anyone on here NOT buying Genie+? Our group of 7 are planning on not buying it. We will have 2 days at HS and 2 days at MK (including a Xmas party night) and we weren't going to get it for Epcot or AK anyways. We are rope drop/close park people and stay all day. And we don't like to zigzag through the parks.

Tell me we will be okay without it...please? lol
We bought it for 4 days out of 8 this month and it worked great because we had at least 3x in each park ( every day split into 2 parks to take advantage of park hours or special events). Similarly bought it about 4x for our 8 day Christmas/NY 2021 trip, obviously one of, if not the most busiest time of yr. That worked for us because we used it early in our trip, and then skipped it for a few, more relaxing days in the parks by enjoying dining/snacking and the shows/lower demand rides we found ourselves skipping when we had G+. We got too competitive when we had G+ to where were trying to get 10+ LLs at MK and racing around trying to justify buying it. Everyone's different, but that was our experience. Days we used it, it was very handy, and being offsite without early entry, couldn't imagine experiencing everything at HS without it during peak season. But again, it depends on the individual. Some people don't like thrill rides, so only do a few rides like TSM and Runaway and some shows at HS, don't really need it there either. For us, only 2 and not a big party like yours, we generally buy G+ if we can save at least an hr. in line. We feel it's worth the $32.

I mean you can get lucky because your ADR lined up right with the LL option you got/selected but then you could have it cross over. When that happened with FP+ because it was largely done in advance people could figure out more effectively what they wanted to do. With Legacy FP you could see the return time and it'd be rarer for it to just suddenly change on you like it seems to be happening more with Genie+. With it being day of and having issues such as the times changing from when you looked it's like a toss up if you're going to be in the clear or something interfering.

This adjustment to purchasing day of won't correct that though but I have been wondering while I was there at Disney are there people choosing to forgo ADRs or do less of them to lessen that chance? There were some availability really close or day that I thought probably hadn't been much in the past. Of course some availability would be there when people would cancel before the 24 hours but I saw the wait lists be full then be un-full, etc. It just seemed like perhaps people were making a decision to not try and plan so much of both when in the past it was easier to pre-plan both and have your day mostly filled.
Okay well for our group not only did we not want to deal with the blue umbrellas if we had a Genie+/ILL issue but we also think all of the table service restaurants in HS are very mediocre to borderline terrible so it was an easy decision to make. But yeah my biggest issue with Genie+ is the day of planning where you just have to take whatever time is available and hope that it doesn't interfere with the ADR you woke up at 5:45 am 2 months prior to get. I do agree that I noticed way more availability in ADRs now vs when Fastpass+ or even paper Fastpass was a thing, even for the more popular places. I bet a lot of people don't want to deal with the headache or they're using the money they would've spent on an ADR to budget into Genie+/ILLs instead.

We've been decreasing our ADRs in general over time independent of Genie+, so we didn't have that many ADRs last trip. I think at most 1 per day. However, I didn't find it too difficult to balance Genie+ and our dining reservations. If we had a meal at noon and the Genie+ window is noon, we just waited a bit and kept any eye on the times until the window changed to something reasonable. Most of the time it's not that difficult. The only time that it might be an issue is for the really difficult ones to get (ROTR and Slinky Dog for example), where you're just taking whatever they give you, but we fortunately didn't have a problem. We also don't take that long to eat really, so even if they overlapped we were usually fine with it.

The entire disney vacation has a ton to do with theme park ticket pricing to the vast majority of people who visit Disney World. Acting like you're only allowed to discuss theme park ticket pricing and what you get for it in a bubble doesn't make any sense. It's one part of the overall picture and people are getting fed up with it.
That’s not what you’re allowed but that was what we were talking about and you brought up the entire cost of a Disney vacation to prove your point that other theme parks aren’t as expensive. Apples to oranges. You said there were no other theme parks more expensive than Disney. That is demonstrably false.

If you want to discuss Disney VACATIONS then that’s a different comparison point.

We are traveling with my parents in 1.5 weeks. They are in their mid-60’s. There is no way they would figure this all out. My dad does ok with tech, but he’s not fast. My mom could check wait times & that’s about it. And actually, I’ve researched a lot about G+ here, but I decided to let my DD20 do most of the booking. She’s going to book at 7am with me and she gets to book the rides that disappear faster. She figured out the app with the tip board and pinning the ride you want the most so I didn’t bother. She can just teach me.
Trust me, age has nothing to do with it. I’m mid 60’s and since DD & I decided on our mid June trip, we’ve been preparing like it’s a DDay invasion. DH & DSIL are “ deer in the headlights “ about the Genie+, LL stuff, but DD & I are ready to hit the ground running with a “take no prisoners” mentality.

To be frank, cost isn't the issue for me, it's the inconvenience and added stress. If Disney execs decided that the wanted to charge for Magical Express exactly the way it used to be, I would pay it. The brightly wrapped busses and the videos onboard set the tone for our trip and made traveling alone with my kids safe and fun. FP+ wasn't just free, it made it possible for me to book everything in advance and then just relax for the rest of my vacation. I might have grumbled a bit to pay for it, but I would have done so happily especially if making it paid reduced the number of folks using it so that it was easier to get Slinky and FoP 60 days out. But instead, they've replaced a great system with a woefully buggy one and are charging extra for the privilege of waking up at 6:45 every morning of your vacation to pray that it works. Whoever designed this is either incompetent or a sadist or both.

To be frank, cost isn't the issue for me, it's the inconvenience and added stress. If Disney execs decided that the wanted to charge for Magical Express exactly the way it used to be, I would pay it. The brightly wrapped busses and the videos onboard set the tone for our trip and made traveling alone with my kids safe and fun. FP+ wasn't just free, it made it possible for me to book everything in advance and then just relax for the rest of my vacation. I might have grumbled a bit to pay for it, but I would have done so happily especially if making it paid reduced the number of folks using it so that it was easier to get Slinky and FoP 60 days out. But instead, they've replaced a great system with a woefully buggy one and are charging extra for the privilege of waking up at 6:45 every morning of your vacation to pray that it works. Whoever designed this is either incompetent or a sadist or both.

Agreed on everything. It's not just the fact they started charging for something it's the fact they started charging for something worse than what was originally given for "free". I would have been ok with a charge for Magical Express as well because of the great convenience it provided it would still be worth a fee.

Remember when club level guests were paying $50 a day for 3 extra FP+ yet some think G+ costing $50 a day is astronomical.

The price of G+ is definitely going up and it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if it went to $50 a day. I would definitely buy it for my DHS day at least. (It’s added to our November tickets already so won’t have to do that)

The higher price would have less people purchasing which means more availability plus capping sales will make the $50 worth it. It would also speed up the standby line with less LLs being used.

Remember when club level guests were paying $50 a day for 3 extra FP+ yet some think G+ costing $50 a day is astronomical.
The type of guest who is staying Club Level (anywhere) is not the same as what is being spoken about. I didn't really follow the conversation about thrown out there prices but a $50 per person per day for the masses is different than charging a very small set of guests at Club Level who even wanted more FPs because not every person who stayed Club Level purchased the option and there's a finite number of Club Level rooms even offered.

For the masses because of how Disney chose to do their program a $50 per person per day would be quite the jump.

For your example, while I do actually get where you're thinking, it's just two different types of guests completely there.

Universal. Right in Orlando.
The most expensive theme parks in the US right now are Sea World and Busch Gardens. So that statement is just demonstrably false.

But this RIGHT HERE highlights the problem: it is people’s perception of Disney that is so skewed. It’s not the reality of what’s happen but how people view Disney and what they’re paying.
Um … Seaworld is $65 for one day, or $129 for a fun card that lasts through the rest of the year. They also have a special unlimited 14-day pass for $219 which includes all 3 parks and parking. Disney‘s single day tickets are between $129 and $134 per day next month.

Um … Seaworld is $65 for one day, or $129 for a fun card that lasts through the rest of the year. They also have a special unlimited 14-day pass for $219 which includes all 3 parks and parking. Disney‘s single day tickets are between $129 and $134 per day next month.
Single price one day ticket regular price is $119.99. We’re not talking about random sales because we’re keeping the discussion apples to apples.

Disney tickets start at $109. The broader point is that Disney is not the most expensive as the poster stated. I only need one data point to prove that wrong.

The type of guest who is staying Club Level (anywhere) is not the same as what is being spoken about. I didn't really follow the conversation about thrown out there prices but a $50 per person per day for the masses is different than charging a very small set of guests at Club Level who even wanted more FPs because not every person who stayed Club Level purchased the option and there's a finite number of Club Level rooms even offered.

For the masses because of how Disney chose to do their program a $50 per person per day would be quite the jump.

For your example, while I do actually get where you're thinking, it's just two different types of guests completely there.
I’m not club level and I’d pay it.
This is why it will sell out. Enough people will buy it so they have to cap it. Genie+ won’t be for the masses it will be an elite level benefit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter