maine

Yes. Assuming laws also cover the manufacture and sale of them. It's defeatist to think that a single law will not solve the problem, so we should just not even try to cut off the oxygen that feeds this lust for firearms that everyone thinks they're entitled to.
Wasn't he an instructor with the military? Which would give him access to military weapons? What laws would be in place to prevent that (in this case)?

Yes. Assuming laws also cover the manufacture and sale of them. It's defeatist to think that a single law will not solve the problem, so we should just not even try to cut off the oxygen that feeds this lust for firearms that everyone thinks they're entitled to.

Are you implying that countries that don't have 600 mass shootings (i.e., every other country on this planet) in the first ten months of the year DON'T have laws against homicide? Um, OK.
I would have to be knowledgeable about a host of other variables in other countries that could influence the rate of homicides, which I am not. I do agree that this man with a history of mental illness should never have been allowed to get his hands on a weapon, at least not legally. Whether or not he obtained it legally I don’t know. He certainly used it illegally.

Yup including someone with a new account just to debate gun control.
Did I miss someone? I don't have many on ignore. The most recent poster in the thread has been here for four months and most of their posts have NOT been about gun control.

Did I miss someone? I don't have many on ignore. The most recent poster in the thread has been here for four months and most of their posts have NOT been about gun control.
I could be wrong. Seemed like someone wanting to debate but maybe not.

I think if we can avoid turning this tragedy into a debate about guns, that would be good. We all have our own beliefs and nothing any of us can say can change the way things are. I just hope that they catch this guy soon and mad respect to the tons of Law Enforcement Officers (including the police dogs) who are out there looking. I hope that they are safe too.

This to me is another horrible example of our failures in our educational system and how we need to place higher priorities on mental health support and mental health education in our school systems.

No debate just sadness because we failed again.

This to me is another horrible example of our failures in our educational system and how we need to place higher priorities on mental health support and mental health education in our school systems.

What is every other country in the world, the ones that don't have hundreds of mass shootings a year (which is all of them), doing about education and mental health, that we're not? We should definitely look to them for a model about what to do.

Last edited:

I mean - you kinda threw something over the fence and then added a no debate clause …

so I’m not sure what education in schools would do here … seems like that’s the default solution these days for everything wrong in society - failed school systems (that no one wants to fund.)

) then there is the exception for the things that teachers can’t teach, read, show, or say to children …

Really think the red flag laws are a joke how do you convince someone paranoid and mentally unstable to surrender all their guns. It will set them off

Not the school systems fault. Blame it on the politicians that mandate what we can and cannot teach. Then the parents that accuse us “indoctrinating” their child if veer from curriculum.

My un-earned ears are burning.

No, I did not join the forum to debate gun control.

I plead guilty to some right-leaning and/or pro-constitutional posts in response to other threads. Frequently there are left-leaning statements posted, and then I guess those who have differing opinions are supposed to just keep quiet.

I think this whole issue is more nuanced than I understand. I know we have more gun-related homicides than any other country. But, then there are countries where a large segment of the population is gun-owning that have similar homicide rates to nearby countries with virtually no individual gun-owners. And, we have cities in the US with very strict gun laws and yet some of the highest homicide rates. Yet there are also states with stricter gun laws that have lower rates than more permissive one. In a nutshell, it's complicated. Add in the fact that we have an amendment to our constitution that guarantees the right to bear arms, and it's even more of a morass.

Any way, I agree we need to keep guns out of the hands of this type of individual. Just not sure how to achieve that when someone is clearly fine with committing felony crimes, and the fact that there are lot of ways to kill people that don't even involve guns.

I mean - you kinda threw something over the fence and then added a no debate clause …

so I’m not sure what education in schools would do here … seems like that’s the default solution these days for everything wrong in society - failed school systems (that no one wants to fund.)

) then there is the exception for the things that teachers can’t teach, read, show, or say to children …
Debates aren’t allowed but opinions are allowed. Our failures go deeper than gun control. Opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter