maine

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers for we DIS-ers living in Maine. I am about 100 miles north of Lewiston, which is about 40 miles north of Portland. As far as we are hearing, they haven't found the shooter yet, although they found his car in Lisbon, which is about 10 miles southeast of Lewiston. The fear is he had a back-up vehicle and could be anywhere. Both Bates and Bowdoin Colleges are on lockdown, and UMaine Orono, where DH and I both work, is closed for the day. The local public schools are on lockdown or have canceled for the day. Bath Ironworks is closed, and Hannaford stores, one of 2 major grocery chains here in Maine, are closed until at least 10am today, and I'm hearing more and more smaller business chains are also closed. I don't know what to think. The resident 7 year old is at school, DH and I are home, my son-in-law stayed home today, but DD is a social worker for Eastern Maine Medical system, and so far, she is still scheduled to go out on the road to see clients. Making me very nervous. I know the chances of anything happening are slim to none- until it happens. Thank you all again for thinking of us.
:hug:'s leebee, and all affected.

So very sad, all those poor people. I do hope this person can be found quickly, Maine has a lot of woods and news seemed to say this person is trained and was hospitalized recently for hearing voices. It looks like things won't be easy for law enforcement, hopefully the guy will screw up due to being unstable and captured without further loss of life or injury.

So very sad, all those poor people. I do hope this person can be found quickly, Maine has a lot of woods and news seemed to say this person is trained and was hospitalized recently for hearing voices. It looks like things won't be easy for law enforcement, hopefully the guy will screw up due to being unstable and captured without further loss of life or injury.
They now think he went into Massachusetts. I live in New Hampshire and we have lots of family in Lewiston (and I went to college in Maine, and husband is from Maine). These situations are always awful. This one really hits home. I have lots of things to say but will keep quiet.

I worry that he is skulking around waiting for another opportunity to attack another group of people. Who knows what the voices are telling him to do?

It makes me wonder why an Army Reservist firearms instructor who threatened to shoot up the National Guard Base in Saco, Maine and was committed into a mental heath faculty for 2 weeks this summer was allowed to keep his firearms. Talk about a red flag.

I worry that he is skulking around waiting for another opportunity to attack another group of people. Who knows what the voices are telling him to do?

It makes me wonder why an Army Reservist firearms instructor who threatened to shoot up the National Guard Base in Saco, Maine and was committed into a mental heath faculty for 2 weeks this summer was allowed to keep his firearms. Talk about a red flag.
And that is exactly one of the questions that should be asked right now.

Among many reasons, Robin, I think that too many politicians are too heavily influenced, in a negative way, by gun manufacturer lobbyists to keep status quo. Sad as it is. Politicians, some day, have to get some stones and do something.

I believe @mickeyboat is from Maine, as well. I’m sure there are others. (One is on the tip of my tongue but I can’t think of the username right now. ? Mermaid)

Following this terrible story now, as well. Saw on local news the perpetrator was recently committed.
Thanks for checking in, @Pea-n-Me . I am in Vermont so quite a ways away from Lewiston / Lisbon, but I do have friends and family in the area. It is a horrible, horrible tragedy.

From usconcealedcarry.com:
Maine is a shall-issue, permitless carry state with concealed weapons permits issued at the state level by the Department of Public Safety through the Maine State Police.
There is no permit, background check or firearms registration required to buy a handgun from a private individual.
Open and concealed carry are legal in Maine without a permit. Any person 21 or older, or at least 18 and active duty or honorably discharged military, who can legally possess a firearm, is allowed to carry openly or concealed. In addition, Maine issues permits for reciprocity purposes.
Maine Permits to Carry Concealed Handguns (CCHs) require a firearms training course that has been approved by the state. Maine CCHs are issued to residents and non-residents that are at least 18 years old. Some areas are off-limits, including schools and courthouses. In terms of reciprocity, since Maine has permitless carry, any person at least 21 years old who can legally possess a firearm may carry a concealed firearm on his or her person without a license or permit. In addition, Maine also recognizes resident concealed handgun permits issued by another state if that state recognizes Maine’s resident CCHs. Permit holders from these states are allowed to carry in a few areas that individuals who carry under the permitless carry law cannot, including Acadia National Park.

They now think he went into Massachusetts. I live in New Hampshire and we have lots of family in Lewiston (and I went to college in Maine, and husband is from Maine). These situations are always awful. This one really hits home. I have lots of things to say but will keep quiet.
I haven't heard that they think he is in Mass, but it's on the police scanners that the NH State Police helicopters are searching the Monmouth area (slightly north of Lewiston). I thnk they are following up on every lead they get.

I haven't heard that they think he is in Mass, but it's on the police scanners that the NH State Police helicopters are searching the Monmouth area (slightly north of Lewiston). I thnk they are following up on every lead they get.
I think they are now retracting what I said before. I should have held off on stating that. Stay safe. I have a lot of family in Lewiston, used to live in Portland, and now in Southern NH.

My students in my class mentioned that they had heard he may have crossed into Massachusetts. While we are at the far western end of Mass, it's still very unnerving. Sending much love to our friends in Maine.

EDIT: CBS News reported that the shooter is suspected to have ties to Mass., so that's where that bit of news could've come from.

Maine is a shall-issue, permitless carry state with concealed weapons permits issued at the state level by the Department of Public Safety through the Maine State Police.
There is no permit, background check or firearms registration required to buy a handgun from a private individual.
Open and concealed carry are legal in Maine without a permit. Any person 21 or older, or at least 18 and active duty or honorably discharged military, who can legally possess a firearm, is allowed to carry openly or concealed. In addition, Maine issues permits for reciprocity purposes.
Maine Permits to Carry Concealed Handguns (CCHs) require a firearms training course that has been approved by the state. Maine CCHs are issued to residents and non-residents that are at least 18 years old. Some areas are off-limits, including schools and courthouses. In terms of reciprocity, since Maine has permitless carry, any person at least 21 years old who can legally possess a firearm may carry a concealed firearm on his or her person without a license or permit. In addition, Maine also recognizes resident concealed handgun permits issued by another state if that state recognizes Maine’s resident CCHs. Permit holders from these states are allowed to carry in a few areas that individuals who carry under the permitless carry law cannot, including Acadia National Park.
Don't think he used a handgun.

Imagine how this could’ve turned out differently if one of the “good guys” carrying could’ve taken him out?

It's got to be so unnerving to be anywhere in that general area with that guy still on the loose.

I'm not in Lewiston/Auburn, but it is unnerving, even a little further south (I'm in the Portland area.) Maine has always been considered an incredibly safe state, and I think that people are feeling the loss of safety and security pretty acutely right now. I also think there's a pretty heavy level of shock.

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers for we DIS-ers living in Maine. I am about 100 miles north of Lewiston, which is about 40 miles north of Portland. As far as we are hearing, they haven't found the shooter yet, although they found his car in Lisbon, which is about 10 miles southeast of Lewiston. The fear is he had a back-up vehicle and could be anywhere. Both Bates and Bowdoin Colleges are on lockdown, and UMaine Orono, where DH and I both work, is closed for the day. The local public schools are on lockdown or have canceled for the day. Bath Ironworks is closed, and Hannaford stores, one of 2 major grocery chains here in Maine, are closed until at least 10am today, and I'm hearing more and more smaller business chains are also closed. I don't know what to think. The resident 7 year old is at school, DH and I are home, my son-in-law stayed home today, but DD is a social worker for Eastern Maine Medical system, and so far, she is still scheduled to go out on the road to see clients. Making me very nervous. I know the chances of anything happening are slim to none- until it happens. Thank you all again for thinking of us.

There's also some concern that he left Lisbon on a boat, I think, since the car was found near a boat launch. And now there are reports of potential sightings in NH...but he could really be anywhere.

I didn't realize BIW closed, that's huge (and understandable.) LL Bean also closed. Lots of businesses around here are closed, as well as the schools.

I was involved in the Navy Yard shooting. Similar situation. The shooter was prior Navy, lots of mental health issues, seen by the military, and they never "red flagged" the guy. He was off his rocker schizophrenic and everyone looked the other. He legally purchased a gun and shot 12 people in my office. I believe there is/was a lawsuit by the victims families against the military for not registering him in the databases. Had they done so, he could not have purchased the gun he did prior to the shooting. Would that have stopped him? Who knows.

Do you think laws, preventing it would have kept him from acquiring one? Certainly, the laws against homicide did not prevent this terrible crime.
Yes. Assuming laws also cover the manufacture and sale of them. It's defeatist to think that a single law will not solve the problem, so we should just not even try to cut off the oxygen that feeds this lust for firearms that everyone thinks they're entitled to.

Are you implying that countries that don't have 600 mass shootings (i.e., every other country on this planet) in the first ten months of the year DON'T have laws against homicide? Um, OK.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter