Magic, Memories, and......Medics?- A March Trip Report

Wow! I just read your entire report. What a rollercoaster of a trip! I am so happy you had a good first couple of days of your trip.

That is sad your sister had to complain about things. I know first hand from my dad complaining that it does feel person. That would really upset me.

I am glad your son is ok now but that whole ordeal was so traumatizing! I can't believe POR wouldn't originally let you stay in the room just for a few extra hours. Thankfully the manager worked it out.

You need a do over next trip with just you and your son!

It really was a roller coaster of a trip!! There were some amazing parts, and some not so good parts, but DS still left wanting to return so that says a lot.

The thing with my sister was hard, but in the end I feel like I was just as much at fault for the way things ended up as she was. I think we both learned a lot from it.

It was very traumatizing, but I also realize it could have been so much worse. I'm so glad things ended the way they did. In the end, POR did make it right for us so I still give them a huge thumbs up in dealing with this.

Thanks for reading!!!

So it was the day that we were heading home. Honestly, after the week we had, I was ready. Carolyn, DS, and me all slept in until almost 10. I wasn't waking up DS if he needed the sleep. I woke up a bit before him and had no idea what to expect. I had told Jen that she should take Jaden to one of the parks early so that they could do some rides with no wait. They had headed off to MK.

When DS woke up, he actually seemed quite a bit better. He wasn't completely back to himself, but I could see the sleep had done him a world of good. I had him eat some breakfast while I went to the lobby to get the key for the room next door.

Jen and Jaden had decided to come on this trip because they really wanted to see us, but this trip was very tight financially for them. Jen had planned to spend the day at the parks until as late as they could and then to start the six hour drive back home. She only had enough money for the one night at POR so they would have to make the long drive home after a long day in the parks. Anyway, when I went down to the lobby, I asked if the room that we were getting for the day was available for the whole night. They said that it was, so I paid for the room for the night as a surprise for Jen and Jaden. Besides the fact that I just love them bunches, things would have been much more disastrous in many ways without Jen. It was just my way of saying thank you to her.

So, I went back to the room to see how DS was feeling so we could plan the say some. When I got back DS was feeling a bit sad. When I asked Carolyn what was wrong she said he was upset that Jen and Jaden had gone to the parks and that he wasn't going to be able to see them anymore. So, I asked DS if he could go back to any one park or do anything he wanted to do for his last day, what would he do? He answered (to my surprise) that he wanted to go back to Epcot. I was very nervous because Epcot is so big, but I knew we would have to take it slow and keep DS from standing for very long periods of time.

Because of the DIS...can I just say how much I love the DIS?!!?... I had read a tiny bit about the Guest Assistance Card. I really didn't know much about it since we didn't have any special needs in our group. I decided to ask about it when I went back through the lobby at POR.

We called Jen and told her we would be in Epcot and she told us she would hop over shortly. We checked our luggage with POR for the day and moved our carry-ons over to the room next door. After that, we were ready to try a day at Epcot...SLOWLY.

I stopped at the POR lobby while Carolyn took DS to get some drinks. I needed to know exactly how many meal credits we had left anyway so I thought that was a good opportunity to ask about the GAC. I tried to show the CM at the desk the papers from DS from the hospital but she stopped m right away and told me just to go to Guest Services at Epcot and tell them that DS shouldn't stand for long periods of time. She told me the GAC would be a great help for him. I really didn't know what to expect from the card, but hearing that it could help was encouraging.

We got to Epcot around 12:30. It was so late, but we really took the morning slow.

I had him take lots of breaks, but he was doing so much better! :cool1:

So, DS had said the only ride he wanted to ride was Soarin. He loved it the first time and because Carolyn and I were fighting, she never rode it with us. So, I looked at the standby line was very long. I had hopes that the GAC would allow us to sit somewhere while we waited standby.

I went to Guest Services and they gave us the card with no questions asked. The CM really didn't explain how it would help though, so I really didn't know what to expect. I went and showed it to the CMs at Soarin and they sent us straight through to the FP line!!! I never ever expected that, but I can't pretend that I wasn't super grateful. It meant that DS could ride the one ride he really wanted to ride and still have a few hours to do some other things that he wanted to do. I was so, so happy! I can't say how wonderful this is of Disney. Since we don't have any special needs I never had thought about how important something like this would be, and I'm so glad they offer it to those who need it. So, we got to ride Soarin...

DS was looking super happy during our short wait.

He loved it again! Carolyn was not as impressed. She said it made her feel a little nauseous. I think it's a blast. After that, we had to head over to a ride/show that Carolyn really wanted to see. We had to humor her on this one :lmao:

While I wasn't super excited about this, I was happy about the amount of down time it offered us. A CM came over and asked why we were sitting when it was time for us to get into line. I just explained that DS shouldn't for too long and I was trying to reduce the amount of time standing and waiting in lines. He explained the first part of the show has a little movie and that guests are specifically asked not to sit on the floor. I said I thought DS would be OK for that, but the CM said we should sit on the stage. I know this wasn't that big of a deal, but it's just another example of the way Disney treats it's guests. I mean, in no other amusement park in the world would anyone even care about why we were sitting off to the side. The CM was great, and so sweet. DS was having a great time and that's all I wanted.

After Captain EO, which was better than I thought it would be, we went over to the Visa Meet and Greet to meet some characters. While we were in line (very short line) Jen and Jaden showed up!!! We had told Jen that I paid for the extra night at POR but she was still so happy she had tears in her eyes. She said it would really allow them to enjoy the day at the parks. :thumbsup2

I'm such a dork. Looking at these pics still makes me cry. DS looks so happy, and after knowing everything we went through...seeing that Disney still made him smile brings tears to my eyes.

So....we headed over to the Electric Umbrella for lunch. Because of the events of the week we had enough CS credits left to feed everyone.

The boys were being super goofy in line.

While we were in line, and I was trying to figure out what to order for everyone, DS walked up to me and said, "Mom, what's this?" Well, in his hand he was holding five $20 bills. I asked him where he got it and he said on the floor. This was soooo upsetting to me!!!! That was $100 and I know how much money that can be. I was so worried someone's day was ruined. I asked everyone close to us if they had lost any money. Jen thought this was crazy and said that every single person was gong to say yes. Well, not one person did. It was busy in there too...but not one person would say they lost any money. I kept watching and watching to see if anyone looked frantic in any way or like they were looking for something.

As we were eating I kept on looking. The food was OK I think. I just remember looking around the table and being so completely happy. It was our last day and everyone was smiling and happy. I couldn't ask for anything more. I never did find who was looking for that money. I decided to give it to the CMs in case someone came looking, but I thought Jen was going to murder me at that thought. :confused3 She insisted the CMs would end up keeping it if we did that. Since there were five of us, she divided it up between all of us and gave everyone a $20. I still felt guilty, but the happiness on Jaden's face definitely made me feel better.

After that we all headed over toward the World Showcase. On the way, I bought the boys some Phineas and Ferb pins. They were excited.

DS was desperate to try a Perry mission again and he really wanted to do it with Jaden. I thought my sisters could use some kid-free time to explore WS, so I told them to go off and have fun for a couple hours while I hung with the kids. They felt bad, but I told them not to worry. DS wasn't leaving my site no matter what so they might as well have some fun. So, we went to Mexico for the mission. This was based on the fact that it was inside and air conditioned. It also didn't mean that we had to walk through the whole WS to do it.

They both loved it soooo much!!!! DS could do this all day :)

After the Perry mission (which was one of the most fun things we did all week), I knew DS would love to go and spend a bit of the money he brought with him. We decided to head over to Mouse Gears for a little shopping. First we took some pics though...

Mouse Gears was a blast. Jaden spent his $20 very quickly and then Auntie Vicky was feeling very generous. I bought him some fun stuff for himself and then he picked up some gifts for his mom too. DS had about $160 left to spend (because he just never got to during the week) and he wanted to shop for everyone.

I just have to say.... I don't know if I've ever been so proud of him. He had no desire to buy a thing for himself. Instead he spent a very long time looking for gifts for aunts, uncles, grandparents, and his dad. He even saw Jaden looking at a case for his iPod, and he asked me if he could buy the case for him ($32...holy high-prices!!!). I noticed that DS seemed to like the case so I picked it up for him as a surprise as well. DS never bought himself anything there.

As we were leaving he gave Jaden the case (Jaden was soooooo happy!). Then Jaden came over to me and said he wished he could buy DS something. I gave him the case that DS didn't know I had bought and let him give it to DS. DS was so surprised and just thought it was crazy that they had bought the same gift for each other. :rotfl2: So cute!

After that, we met up with Carolyn and Jen again, and it was time to say goodbye. I know I had said we were ready to go, but after the best day of the whole trip, I was honestly sad to go. :sad:

We hugged a million times not knowing when we would all see each other again. :grouphug: I gave Jen as many tips as possible to help her make the best of the rest of her day. They planned to head back to MK to watch Wishes before going back to POR for the night.

Carolyn, AJ, and me got on the bus back to POR and we were running a little later than expected! I ended up literally running back to Jen's room to grab our carry-ons while Carolyn and DS took a last stroll through the gift shop and filled the mugs.

I ran into Jen's room and just had to stop for a second to take this pic. This is the cutest towel animal ever!!!! It was just about a week until Easter at this point I think.

That's also DS's naked dino from Build A Dino in the back :rotfl:

After that we boarded ME and eventually got on our flight back home. It was pretty uneventful since DS slept through it.

So that was our trip. It tear-filled at times. It was traumatizing. It was also simply magical. In any other place in the world I would have to say that this was a complete disaster, but being in Disney somehow made things so much better. I experienced what was probably the scariest moment of my life and yet I left with some absolutely wonderful memories too. The fight with my sister was more than forgotten when we were both standing over DS's hospital bed. It made all of that seem so unimportant.

Jen and Jaden came to visit this summer for three weeks!!! It was so great to see them again! We got to spend so much time together and now we miss them again.

I am planning another trip to WDW with my cousin, her little boy, and also Jen and Jaden for a few days. We are going during President's week and will probably stay at POFQ (although that seems to change daily). I will, of course, invite my other sister Carolyn again...but this time she has to bring her BF :rotfl2: Then they could stay in their own room and spend time alone whenever they want as well. I doubt she'll take me up on the offer though. My cousin is super excited to plan with me...and I'm fairly certain her and I will get along just fine. We've vacationed together in the past and it's always been a blast.

The trip we are planning will be at least 8 nights and probably 9. I want to be sure to take it easy with DS, so this longer trip should help.

Thank you to everyone who read along!! This website..and you guys are all amazing. I know this trip report wasn't full of happiness only, but I wanted to tell the truth about our trip. It wasn't perfect, but it was still wonderful. It was wonderful enough that DS talks about it constantly, and begs to go back one day. I can't wait to surprise him on Christmas day again! ;)

How wonderfully sweet of you to pay for a room night for your sis. :flower3:

That's so great that you got to ride Soarin' all together finally even if Carolyn didn't really like it. I'm glad the GAC was helpful.

I must say you have quite the young man there. To want to spend his money on things for others... that just doesn't happen. You SHOULD be proud.

Thank you for sharing your trip Vicky, good and bad. :goodvibes

Good title.
Wow, I was really scared when you said your son was hurting and he passed out.
My son passed out with a seizure when he was 16.
He just had a big growth spurt. Did your son have a growth spurt, like 3 inches or more before his trip? My sons pediatrician told me boys faint as easily as girls You can be hydrated and still pass out like your son did. My son grew 6 inches in 6 months, and his Dr. said, the blood wasn't going from his heart to his legs and back fast enough. This is why boys need to drink lots of water. Prior to this, my son told me he was experiencing stars and light headedness every time he got up and walked. Which is very common in kids that just had a growth spurt.

You really do need a do-over. Good luck and maybe order a case of water.

I'm so glad everything came together in the end. Your son sounds so thoughtful to buy gifts for everyone, sounds like you've done something right :) You are smart to build in some down time for your next trip in hopes that there are no medical issues for anyone in your party. Its amazing how a vacation can tire you out, but I think the walking and rides can really take a lot out of you!!

Oh, my goodness. First of all, I'm so glad DS is okay! How scary. :eek: I'm glad that ultimately he was okay, and that Disney did the right thing with the cab fare and the room (even if they had to be bullied into it!). My mom got what they thought at the time was meningitis when we were there on a trip when I was 11. My sister and I didn't find out until years later that while we had been at one of the water parks, Disney had actually had her taken to the hospital and back! Luckily she was fine, although she missed out on a chunk of the trip. :worried:

Traveling with other people, even family members... can be stressful. Touring styles, expectations, all of it can make such a huge impact on your experience. The first time DH and I went in 2011, to be honest, it wasn't that magical. I pushed us SO HARD to see and do everything, and we were so tired, and cranky, and were fighting. :confused3 I like to get up early, he likes to sleep in etc. This past year, we took our time. Slept in a bit. Swam and only did half days in the parks. Was it my ideal? No. Did it make the trip 8 million times more enjoyable? YES!!!

I'll save the early morning touring for trips with my mom!!! :rotfl:

I enjoyed your TR, and I'm glad that your DS remembers the trip fondly and wants to go back. Thanks for sharing, and for keeping it real!

How wonderfully sweet of you to pay for a room night for your sis. :flower3:

That's so great that you got to ride Soarin' all together finally even if Carolyn didn't really like it. I'm glad the GAC was helpful.

I must say you have quite the young man there. To want to spend his money on things for others... that just doesn't happen. You SHOULD be proud.

Thank you for sharing your trip Vicky, good and bad. :goodvibes

Thank you so much for reading through everything! My sister was so happy I was able to pay for the room for her, and it was the very least I could do after all she has done for me.

Th GAC was wonderful! We didn't get much use out of it because DS only wanted to ride Soarin, but it wouldn't have been possible without it. That last day at Disney was probably our best day, and it was that little bit of Disney magic that made it that way.

I am so proud of my little boy. He's turning out to be quite the awesome young man. I'm excited to watch him grow and see just who he turns out to be :)

Good title.
Wow, I was really scared when you said your son was hurting and he passed out.
My son passed out with a seizure when he was 16.
He just had a big growth spurt. Did your son have a growth spurt, like 3 inches or more before his trip? My sons pediatrician told me boys faint as easily as girls You can be hydrated and still pass out like your son did. My son grew 6 inches in 6 months, and his Dr. said, the blood wasn't going from his heart to his legs and back fast enough. This is why boys need to drink lots of water. Prior to this, my son told me he was experiencing stars and light headedness every time he got up and walked. Which is very common in kids that just had a growth spurt.

You really do need a do-over. Good luck and maybe order a case of water.

Thank you for reading!

This is sooo interesting!!! No one ever said anything at all to me about a growth spurt, but he hit a major one just before the trip. He had always been small for his age, but just this past year he finally started to catch up to his classmates. For the first time, he's no longer the smallest kid in his class (much to his relief!). He never told me about experiencing any stars or light-headedness, but being seven I often wonder if he knows how to verbalize these types of things. The pediatrician did say, however, to watch very closely when DS is a teenager because that it when he will be growing at a large rate. So now I wonder if they had this theory all along and no one ever told me?

Since we came home from the trip DS nearly always has a bottle of water with him. I am happily surprised that water has now become his drink of choice. When we didn't know what happened we went over every single possible cause and what we could to to prevent it ever happening in the future again. DS never ever wants that to happen again so he has become a much better breakfast eater and keeps water with him always (especially when playing sports or in this hot weather now). Hopefully we never have a repeat. Thank you so much for sharing that! It's always great to hear another possible reason for this and to see how many other parents have been through it and have perfectly healthy children.

We are hoping for our do-over this February...and I'm already putting together a list of the order from Garden Grocer that will include a couple of cases of bottled water! :lmao:

Thank you again!

I'm so glad everything came together in the end. Your son sounds so thoughtful to buy gifts for everyone, sounds like you've done something right :) You are smart to build in some down time for your next trip in hopes that there are no medical issues for anyone in your party. Its amazing how a vacation can tire you out, but I think the walking and rides can really take a lot out of you!!

I couldn't believe how tiring this vacation was. We aren't nappers normally, but we all took a few during the trip. I'm the planner of these trips and I've built in one whole rest day, and three half days where we can sleep as late as we want. It would have even been one more rest day, but everyone is insisting we visit Harry Potter over at IOA, and that sounds amazing! So, I'm hoping this will work out. I've talked lots and lots with DS about telling us when he needs a rest or a break, and he seems to do that now at least when we visit Six Flags and other parks.

He's such a great little guy and I can't wait to surprise him with another trip!

Oh, my goodness. First of all, I'm so glad DS is okay! How scary. :eek: I'm glad that ultimately he was okay, and that Disney did the right thing with the cab fare and the room (even if they had to be bullied into it!). My mom got what they thought at the time was meningitis when we were there on a trip when I was 11. My sister and I didn't find out until years later that while we had been at one of the water parks, Disney had actually had her taken to the hospital and back! Luckily she was fine, although she missed out on a chunk of the trip. :worried:

Traveling with other people, even family members... can be stressful. Touring styles, expectations, all of it can make such a huge impact on your experience. The first time DH and I went in 2011, to be honest, it wasn't that magical. I pushed us SO HARD to see and do everything, and we were so tired, and cranky, and were fighting. :confused3 I like to get up early, he likes to sleep in etc. This past year, we took our time. Slept in a bit. Swam and only did half days in the parks. Was it my ideal? No. Did it make the trip 8 million times more enjoyable? YES!!!

I'll save the early morning touring for trips with my mom!!! :rotfl:

I enjoyed your TR, and I'm glad that your DS remembers the trip fondly and wants to go back. Thanks for sharing, and for keeping it real!

Wow!!! Your poor Mom! It's terrible to get sick, but to get sick in WDW? It makes it seem so much worse. DS still talks about how he missed all of AK. I'm so glad your mom was OK as well. Scary stuff!

Yes, I love my sister very much, but we have very opposite personalities. We get along very well in our normal lives because we find things we like to do together and stick with that. Being that she's not a mom yet though, and that she was really missing her BF, we had different priorities on this trip. I was really focusing on DS, and she just had no desire to wait in a line to see Phineas and Ferb! :rotfl2:

So this made things tough. We got through it and realized how silly it was that we were even fighting when DS was in the hospital. We both know that if we travel again, we need separate rooms and she needs her BF! I'm hoping a trip with my cousin, who is a single mom like me, might be better for us. The boys get along so well, and us moms do too :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for reading everything!

What a great trip report. I'm glad DS is okay, and had a good last day. That's so amazing that he bought gifts for everyone, that's really sweet. I hope you write another one, I'll be reading along.

What a great trip report. I'm glad DS is okay, and had a good last day. That's so amazing that he bought gifts for everyone, that's really sweet. I hope you write another one, I'll be reading along.

Thank you so much for reading! DS is such a great kid :). I'll definitely be doing a trip report for the upcoming trip!

Hey from our July 2015 Fbook group :dogdance:

Holy cow, I wasn't expecting all of that!!
So glad everything worked out ok. I hope NOTHING like this happens on your trip this summer!!!!
Glad to be along for the planning ride with you for the next few months :):)

Hey from our July 2015 Fbook group :dogdance:

Holy cow, I wasn't expecting all of that!!
So glad everything worked out ok. I hope NOTHING like this happens on your trip this summer!!!!
Glad to be along for the planning ride with you for the next few months :):)

Looks like we were thinking the same thing since I was just commenting on your TR!!!! Hahah.

Yes it was an eventful trip for sure, but the trip we took after this one (no TR unfortunately) was absolutely wonderful! I'm hoping for a repeat of that one!! My only concern this summer is the weather, but either way we'll be in Disney so it should be great! Can't wait to continue to plan with you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter