Magic, Memories, and......Medics?- A March Trip Report

So for the last two days of our trip, my stepsister and her DS came to join us!!!

This was very very special since the last time we had seen them had been nearly two years ago. They live in GA, and with us living in MA it can be tough to get visits in. Surprisingly, our boys have very different school schedules and share only one school break per year and one month off during the summer. The schedules in the south are different from ours in the north. My stepsister and her DS were planning to drive from GA and meet us at POR early Friday morning so that we could all head to AK together!

So...this is my beautiful stepsister, Jennifer. She's hiding behind DS. This was taken during her recent trip to visit us here in MA at the local aquarium. Jen is an awesome woman and a great mom. I love spending time with her so much!!!

Next up is my nephew, Jaden!!! He is such an awesome kiddo. He's ten years old now, but was nine at the time of the trip. The boys' birthdays are only days apart so they both celebrated in WDW a little. This was Jaden's first ever trip to WDW too! Jen wanted to make the most of the short time they were able to spend, so she was busy. Here's Jaden and DS feeding some birds at the aquarium.

So when Jen and Jaden arrived at WDW on Friday morning there was excitement all around! We completely forgot about any silliness from the days before and focused on making the most of our short time together. We don't often get to spend time together as a family, and we had so much catching up to do! It seemed as though the end of our trip was going to be the best part!

Next Post: Day 6- Animal Kingdom....and the Hospital :(

YAY! More family. :banana:
Going to Disney is stressful enough, and I know what it feels like when you plan and plan and suddenly your family just takes it for granted that their magical experiences are the norm, but in fact you did all the research to make sure that WDW was not going to be full of waits, and lines, and crummy weather. You get that feeling of, “fine you go off on your own and we will see what type of WDW vacation you have.” But at least in the end it was good to get it all out. Unfortunately it was at WDW.

The last time I was at WDW my phone kept switching cell phone towers, resulting in me not knowing what the correct time was. I was so mad that I spent 2 hours with Verizon, just telling them every cruddy service issue I had for the past two years. Thankfully I was nice enough that the rep gave me
two free months, but it was just odd that I just let it all spill out. It’s interesting how the happiest place on earth makes you remember all the not so happy things about one situation.:confused3

But…I’m glad you were able to go to Epcot and enjoy it, Epcot is honestly my least favorite park, maybe I’ll give it one more chance after reading your experiences. I never thought of going back to future world in the evening, I’ve always stayed in World Showcase in the evening, so maybe going back to future world would be better.
Great Updates! :surfweb:
And I hope your DS is happy and healthy after what ever he needed to go to the ER for :sick:

YAY! More family. :banana:
Going to Disney is stressful enough, and I know what it feels like when you plan and plan and suddenly your family just takes it for granted that their magical experiences are the norm, but in fact you did all the research to make sure that WDW was not going to be full of waits, and lines, and crummy weather. You get that feeling of, “fine you go off on your own and we will see what type of WDW vacation you have.” But at least in the end it was good to get it all out. Unfortunately it was at WDW.

The last time I was at WDW my phone kept switching cell phone towers, resulting in me not knowing what the correct time was. I was so mad that I spent 2 hours with Verizon, just telling them every cruddy service issue I had for the past two years. Thankfully I was nice enough that the rep gave me
two free months, but it was just odd that I just let it all spill out. It’s interesting how the happiest place on earth makes you remember all the not so happy things about one situation.:confused3

But…I’m glad you were able to go to Epcot and enjoy it, Epcot is honestly my least favorite park, maybe I’ll give it one more chance after reading your experiences. I never thought of going back to future world in the evening, I’ve always stayed in World Showcase in the evening, so maybe going back to future world would be better.
Great Updates! :surfweb:
And I hope your DS is happy and healthy after what ever he needed to go to the ER for :sick:

I completely understand what happened with Verizon! It was like whatever both of us had kept to ourselves for the past few years just came out. Like you said, it was unfortunate that it had to come out at Disney, but I think my sister and I are closer now than we were before that trip. Maybe we needed to get things off our chests. I'm glad it ended well for us too.

I never liked Epcot until this trip. I went on my honeymoon with my now ex-husband and we thought we would love Epcot mainly to drink around the world. Neither of us was even slightly thrilled with it. I remember thinking back then that there was nothing there that would thrill children. I almost didn't plan for it at all for this trip, but because of everyone here on the DIS I decided to give it a chance. I can't tell you how glad I am that I did. It was my sister's favorite because she loved the World Showcase. It was DS's favorite for Soarin, Test Track, and especially the Perry missions. I never planned to be in Future World at night, but our plans were thrown off and we actually found it to be a time where the stand by lines we fairly short for the rides that aren't headliners. It was a really great experience and we didn't even see Illuminations. I think if we saw that, it would have been even better!

Thank you! He's doing very well now, but still make his mom a little nervous sometimes...:eek:

So this was an early day for us!! Jen and Jaden showed up at our door at 7am. We were sleepy, but that wore off quickly in the excitement of seeing them again!!! There were tons of hugs all around and then we sat down so Jen could tell us about their journey from GA. It turned out that they arrived in WDW at 4am!!!! Of course their room at POR wasn't ready yet and they didn't know what to do with themselves. Apparently they went to Wal-Mart for a bit and then just hung out. For some reason, their reservations got very very mixed up and POR couldn't find them in the system. This took quite a bit of time to figure out, but once they got her all set they gave her a room right at 7. She was so grateful for that!!!

Anyway, they told her that she could pick up her park tickets at AK because their systems weren't working for the morning. So Jaden stayed with us for a while so that Jen could go freshen up in her room. The boys were so, so excited to see each other!!! It was so cute!!! They hadn't seen each other in so long, but you would never know it. They were instant best friends.

Me, DS, and my sister (Carolyn) all got ready to head to AK. DS wouldn't eat breakfast. He's not normally a great breakfast eater so I wasn't overly concerned. I did make him drink a big glass of milk (he had washed out his "Doofenslurp" beaker from the night before and we filled that with milk). He drank that with no problem and promised he would eat when we got into AK.

We set off for AK. Everyone was just in a great mood. Besides being in Disney World, we were all together! It was great! For the first time all week I think, we made it before a park opening. Just as we walked up, AK was opening up. Jen and Jaden still needed their park tickets though so we had to go to Guest Relations. Well.....they had no idea why POR had sent them there since they couldn't do anything for us either. It looked like we were pretty stuck.

While Jen argued with Guest Relations, I poked my nosy head in once in a while and the boys made the most of the situation by practicing "parkour." For anyone who doesn't know what this is...the boys described it as some type of art form where people jump around off walls and things...

Stop here.. I know what you're all thinking. This is where the ER trip is going to come in right? Of course DS jumped off a wall and hurt himself. Well.....no. DS has a crazy mother who was feeling a bit psychotic with trying to balance letting DS have fun with keeping him from a split open head. :rotfl2:

So....the boys played and jumped off walls much to my dismay. Jen continued to argue and other people happily headed into the park. Forty minutes after we got there, Guest Relations at AK managed to get her passes straight (only for AK though. She still had to go back to the concierge at POR to get tickets for the next day). Well when this was finally over, I mentioned to Jen that it really stunk that it took so long because we had missed all the shortest wait times for rides. Well....she wasn't having that (she's much more assertive than I am). She went back to Guest Relations and told them what they had caused us. To my surprise, they issued her 10 FPs!!! That was two for each of us, and I thought that was more than generous.

So we FINALLY were able to walk into AK together.

Jen and Carolyn thought we should use those amazing FPs right away but I explained that we should save them for later in the day when lines were longer. So we headed over to Expedition Everest for Jen, Jaden, and Carolyn. DS isn't a thrill ride person so this one made him nervous. I had planned to take him to see Russell and Doug from Up while they rode that ride.

After grabbing those FPs we started to walk toward Kilimajaro Safari to try and ride stand by. As we went on the way, we stopped for a couple of pictures.

The boys were talking about every silly thing imaginable. As we were walking, I mentioned to DS that he should eat something and he said that he would like a bagel with cream cheese. We got into line at a small place in front of Tusker House. As I was trying to find something for everyone, (we still had about a million snack credits at this point so I wanted to order some things for Jen and Jaden too) when DS pointed out to me that he had cut his hand on a plant. He was bleeding the tiniest bit so I fished through our bag and found him a band aid. I patched him up and did notice that he looked a little pale. I chalked that up to him being a little nervous about his little cut and turned to help with everyone's orders again.

All of the sudden DS started screaming. He doubled over as though in pain and I asked him what was wrong. Through the screams he said he needed to throw up. I immediately felt some relief actually because I know how much he hates that feeling and I thought he might just have a virus or something. As I started to get out of line with him to find a trash can, Carolyn looked at me and said, "Oh no..." As I started walking with DS I just called back to her not to worry if DS Was sick. I would just take him back to POR while she stayed with Jen and Jaden. This was all in a matter of seconds.

DS and I were walking toward the trash and he was still screaming. I was holding his hand when he suddenly let go of my hand. I looked down to ask why let go of my hand when I saw that he was falling to the ground. Once on the ground, his eyes rolled into the back of his head and he started to shake...

Sorry to leave off with such a cliffhanger but I'm realizing there is no way this is all fitting into one or maybe even two posts..

Next Post: Day 6- Part 2

First I have to apologize as this part of the trip report will have very few pictures. I just had so much going on that I never even thought about it until much later in the day...So sorry this update will be wordy.

So we were about three feet from the trash can when DS fell to the concrete and was shaking. Let me just say that my little boy has been the picture of perfect health since he was born. We have been so blessed that he has been nothing but healthy all of his life. He had never been hospitalized, and had never even had any type of serious injury. He's a super active, athletic kid who has mountains of energy.

So when I saw him shaking (seizing), I just....panicked. I have never ever seen a more horrible sight in my entire life. I was next to him within something like half a second and I was screaming for someone to call 911. Carolyn, who had seen DS fall and looked at him shaking also began to scream for the 911 call. Jen immediately jumped out of line and came to DS's side. He stopped shaking at this point and simply laid there unconscious. Jen asked me if he was breathing and I just...looked at her (this day taught me a very important lesson. If there is an emergency, I am NOT the person to call). I remember thinking that it hadn't even occurred to me that he might not be breathing. I'm pretty sure I just cried and yelled DS's name I guess hoping to wake him up. At least I didn't shake him or anything. Anyway, Jen took his pulse and his eyes slowly fluttered open. He was unresponsive though. His eyes were open but he wouldn't focus.

A nurse who was touring AK with her family (and who is my angel) came to our aide as soon as she saw what was happening. She again asked that dreaded question about DS breathing and Jen told her that he was and that he seemed to be waking up though he would not focus on anyone. At this point, Jen yelled at me that I needed to GET IT TOGETHER. Bless her for that. Carolyn was no better than me and the two of us were certainly not helping matters. She told me I needed to calm down so that when DS started to respond to us he wouldn't be afraid. Well, that helped. Somewhere inside of me a rational woman still existed and while I didn't feel even the slightest measure of calm, I at least managed to stop with the hysterics. The nurse stayed with us the whole time while checking DS's pulse and assuring me that he would be OK. What a wonderful person. She didn't have to stop, and she did. She didn't have to take time away from her family and yet she did. I don't know her name and I can't even remember what she looked like at this point, but I'll never forget her kindness for DS and me.

Apparently at this point, we had quite a large crowd gathered around us and there were quite a few CMs everywhere. DS was at least looking at me at this point, so my only concern was comforting him. He still wouldn't talk or answer questions, but the fact that he looked at me directly gave me a tiny bit of comfort. Jen stayed by our side and just kept telling DS that he was OK and that we all loved him so much. I noticed she continued feeling his hands (later she told me that they were very very cold when she had gotten to him at first, but then as he started to wake up they got clammy). The nurse stayed with us until the paramedics got there. I thanked her as much as I could in my state before she returned to her family.

The CMs were awesome and very helpful throughout. One thing that they did which I didn't notice at the time was to keep the crowds around us moving. I appreciate that they didn't let us become a show for everyone, but at the time I noticed none of it. BTW...through all of this poor Jaden simply stood perfectly still and watched. He was so scared.

Once the paramedics got there they took over. DS at that point had begun to shake his head when we asked him questions so I was feeling even a little better. The paramedics asked me if DS had a seizure and I told them he was shaking, but that I couldn't at all be sure because I had never seen anyone have a seizure. It certainly wasn't that violent shaking you see in movies. They took his vitals and took his blood sugar (side note...DS didn't flinch or even say a word when they told him they were going to poke his finger. I know you don't know my little guy, but he throws a serious fit over any type of needle. My boy just wasn't himself). His blood sugar was a little low. They asked if DS had eaten breakfast, and when I said he hadn't they thought that was why. They asked if he had been eating OK during the trip and I explained that he had been pretty ravenous through it all. I also explained that he had that glass of milk in the morning. They were surprised that his blood sugar was low with him having had the milk, but they still said it was possible. Then they told me he might have simply been dehydrated. I immediately felt terribly guilty. What kind of mother lets her child get dehydrated??

I was so upset with myself, but Jen kept saying she really didn't think that was the problem because he had been eating and drinking fine throughout the whole trip and that he often skips breakfast because he just doesn't like that meal (he always eats, just not right when he gets up).

So, with my guilt, we got ready to head to Celebration Hospital by ambulance. I told Jen and Jaden and Carolyn to stay at AK. Jen and Jaden had only two days to enjoy all of WDW and they had paid a lot for those tickets. DS was conscious though still very lethargic, but I thought they should stay. There was no way I was keeping Carolyn there (she loves DS like her own) so the three of us left while Jen and Jaden stayed behind. One of the CMS came and gave DS a stuffed Tusker Mickey before he got in the ambulance which was sweet.

Strangely, while all of the commotion was happening, I had felt my phone going off. Of course I didn't look at it or anything, but I remember feeling it. As we were waiting for the ambulance to come to the area behind AK where they wheeled DS, I looked at my phone. It was a text from DS's father... "How's my boy today?" So strange that he texted at the exact time that all was happening.

Side note: DS's father and I are divorced, but he's an extremely active dad who speaks to DS by phone at least once a day whenever he doesn't see him. It's not at all strange for him to ask how DS is, so this wasn't weird in any way..but it was such a coincidence.

Anyway, while we waited a few minutes, I thought I should call DS's dad to tell him what had happened. Even though I started the call with "Don't panic. AJ is OK. I just wanted to call and tell you what happened, but I promise he is OK..." his dad just sort of panicked. Poor guy. I know I would have done the same if he was in another state across the country with DS and I wasn't there.

Anyway, the ambulance ride was uneventful. DS barely spoke at all, but he did at least say yes or no to things..so that was a huge improvement. DS's dad needed to hear his voice so he talked to him for a second. Carolyn must have called our father from the front of the ambulance.

Once in Celebration Hospital I think we all felt a little better. They were so sweet to DS. They're clearly great with children and I was so grateful for that. They did all the normal tests.... blood sugar, EKG, oxygen sat, etc. and everything looked normal. They weren't concerned about his blood sugar. They really weren't concerned about anything. They also told us they very much doubted he was dehydrated, but they never did tell me what they thought caused the whole thing :confused3

After doing all of those tests, they kept DS so they could observe him for a while. I tried to ask about what happened, but it was busy and I got that feeling that I was bothering them. They did say they couldn't say whether he had a seizure because they weren't there which was an answer I just took at face value since they were the doctors and I'm not.

Next Post: Day 6- Part 3

Oh my gosh! That sounds terrifying! I don't have kids yet but I am definitely not good in an emergency...when I was a cast member I had a mom with a lost child one night and I thought I was going to panic just as much as her! Luckily he is ok though (or that's the impression I have gotten so far). I'm sure it was even scarier considering he had no history of anything like that.

Oh my gosh! That sounds terrifying! I don't have kids yet but I am definitely not good in an emergency...when I was a cast member I had a mom with a lost child one night and I thought I was going to panic just as much as her! Luckily he is ok though (or that's the impression I have gotten so far). I'm sure it was even scarier considering he had no history of anything like that.

He is ok now... Thanks so much! I think I'm no good in any type of emergency, but with my own son... Forget it! With no history of it he scared me a lot. Thanks for reading along!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your DS! That must have been so terrifying. I hope you aren't beating yourself up over your reaction, you were probably in a little bit of shock yourself. I really hope he felt better for the rest of the trip and is still in good health.

I think sometimes being away from home, being on a different sleep schedule, and eating different food and drink is really all it takes to get sick. Our bodies are so used to a schedule that little things can really throw you for a loop.

WOW!

I am caught up with your report, and I am so glad that your son is OK!

My daughter had a seizure once when she was little, and it has never happened again. The doctors still never found out why it happened in the first place.

Hopefully, your son will be lucky too, and never have another!

Wow that is such a strange thing that it took that long to get tickets straightened out... and yet still didn't get them straightened out. Glad that they offered up some fastpasses though. That definitely helps.

OMG I'm so glad that I read this AFTER part 2 was posted. I don't think I would have managed to wait after that cliffhanger. So terrifying. I can't even...

My goodness, I don't even know what to say. That must have been absolutely horrifying. I was shaking a bit just reading it. So glad it appears to have turned out ok in the end. :goodvibes

Cute pics! :goodvibes

Thank you and welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear about your DS! That must have been so terrifying. I hope you aren't beating yourself up over your reaction, you were probably in a little bit of shock yourself. I really hope he felt better for the rest of the trip and is still in good health.

I think sometimes being away from home, being on a different sleep schedule, and eating different food and drink is really all it takes to get sick. Our bodies are so used to a schedule that little things can really throw you for a loop.

It's funny that you mentioned beating myself up over my reaction...because I was. When I spoke with my dad after it happened, he told me I had to learn to be more calm in these types of situations (I don't know how I would go about practicing that though!). Carolyn (my sister) quickly set him straight on that. She told him that DS's face was one of the scariest things she had ever seen...and she thought I did pretty well considering. So...after she said that I felt a little bit better. I'm not an emergency person for sure!

I agree....to this day we still don't know what happened. I do know that our next Disney vacation is being planned with three more days and lots more time for rest. Hopefully that helps some. Thanks for reading along!!!

WOW!

I am caught up with your report, and I am so glad that your son is OK!

My daughter had a seizure once when she was little, and it has never happened again. The doctors still never found out why it happened in the first place.

Hopefully, your son will be lucky too, and never have another!

Thank you!!!

Isn't it so scar? I hate that we never found out what happened to him, but I'm so glad it hasn't happened again. I do find myself checking on him more often when we're out for long periods of time or on other vacations. So glad to hear it never happened to your daughter again!

Wow that is such a strange thing that it took that long to get tickets straightened out... and yet still didn't get them straightened out. Glad that they offered up some fastpasses though. That definitely helps.

OMG I'm so glad that I read this AFTER part 2 was posted. I don't think I would have managed to wait after that cliffhanger. So terrifying. I can't even...

My goodness, I don't even know what to say. That must have been absolutely horrifying. I was shaking a bit just reading it. So glad it appears to have turned out ok in the end. :goodvibes

The ticket thing was crazy. I felt so bad because Jen just kept saying..."well this is magical" :rotfl2: Th FPs took the sting out of waiting that long though.

I knew I had to get part two up!!! We're on vacation again and I'm the only night owl here so this gives me something to do while everyone sleeps.

It was so terrifying. I can't even tell you. If I had any indication ever that he had any sort of medical issue I might have handled it better, but with him never having had more than a few bumps and bruises..it wasn't easy. Couple that with being in another state and out of our element completely and it was kind of a nightmare.

Thanks so much for reading along. I promise happier times are in our future :thumbsup2

So we stayed at the hospital for about three to four hours. I continued to feel as though I wasn't getting any answers, but I was happy that DS seemed to be perking up some. They discharged us telling us to of course come back if anything changed, and also to follow up with DS's pediatrician.

We left unsure of what had happened and still unsure of whether DS had a seizure or not. My guilt had eased a tiny bit because the ER doctors had said DS didn't seem dehydrated, but this left me really wondering what had happened.

At this point, it was nearing 1pm and DS hadn't eaten anything all day. We decided to grab something in the hospital food court. DS ordered a turkey sandwich and some grapes. I was glad he showed some interest in food. He was still acting sleepy, but at least he was talking to us again. So we all sat down to eat, and DS ate one grape. He said he couldn't eat anymore. This worried me, but he looked so tired that I thought he might just need to sleep.

Right as we were finishing up, POR called to see what they could do to help us. Isn't Disney just great?! We told them we were planning to call a cab to get back to the resort soon. They told me to bring the receipt for the cab ride to the concierge and they would reimburse me. I was so impressed.

We waited a few minutes for the cab, and we had the best cab driver ever! He was the sweetest thing and was so concerned for DS. Anyway, we got back to POR in one piece. I asked Carolyn to take DS back to the room so that I could go and speak with the CMs at POR.

I went to the desk and gave them the receipt for the cab ride and they gave me back the money. I then told them I might need a favor. I was very concerned that DS wouldn't be able to handle going to a park the next day, but I also knew we were supposed to be checking out of POR by 11am. We didn't need to board ME to get back to the airport until 5pm. I asked if I could be allowed to possibly pay for a room for an extra night so that DS could rest through the day. I explained that we would be leaving before 5, but that I would be happy to pay for the night if it meant that DS could rest if needed.

Well........ when they said I should ask if we needed anything... I guess they didn't mean to really ask for something. The CM explained that I could indeed pay for another day but that a room wouldn't be available until 3. I told her that our room had been available earlier than that, and I knew that was luck, but I was really hoping there was some way they could give me a room somewhere that could let him rest after check out. The CM said there was nothing she could do. We would have to check out and then they could guarantee me a room at 3pm. Then she smiled and asked if I wanted her to book that room. :mad: No... I didn't.

I went back to the room feeling a bit defeated by my interaction with that CM, but figured we could deal with it in the morning. The hospital had told us we didn't need to restrict anything for DS so I had hopes that he would be OK in the morning.

So I went back to the room where DS was already asleep and Carolyn looked like she needed a nap. We all decided a nap would be good, and I slept with my hand on DS's belly just like when he was a baby. Looking at his little face just made me feel so blessed that he was OK.

We woke up to Jen coming back to the room around 4. She had a surprise for DS...so that helped to wake him up. When we were walking around AK for that little bit of time DS had seen a set of bongos that he asked if he could buy with some of his money. I had told him we could look at them later, and if he still wanted them he could get them. Jen bought him the bongos! :hug:

He was sleepy but happy. We all had reservations for T-Rex for dinner, but I was so unsure about whether we should take DS. Everyone assured me we still had to eat, and DS really wanted to go be with his cousin. So we slowly got ready and decided to try out T-Rex. At this point, I realized I hadn't taken any pictures throughout the day (with good reason!), but looking at DS's gorgeous little face reminded me I wanted to take as many pics as possible even after the day's events.

We hopped on the boat to DTD. I LOVE this!!! It's so nice to have an alternative to bus transportation.

Just look at that sweet face! :love:

I still thought DS didn't look great but he was interested in spending time with his cousin again, so that was a good sign. The boat dropped us off and we walked over to T-Rex. DS had brought money with him on the trip and he had been so excited to get to DTD so that he could spend some of it. First though, I really wanted him to eat something since he still wasn't eating for me. I tried to force feed him in the room but he really wasn't having it.

So we put our names in at T-Rex which was very busy. So glad we had an ADR.

The boys went over to dig through the sand for bones, but they called us to sit down right after they started to play. As we walked into the restaurant, the boys were in love! They both just thought it was the coolest thing ever.

We were seated in the room with ice (I think) that changed color every few minutes. We took some pics.

DS does not look well in this pic.

Anyway, we ordered our food. I ordered a burger and fries (very good), Carolyn ordered a steak (just OK), and DS ordered the mac and cheese (he described it as delicious). I can't remember what Jen and Jaden ordered. I was beginning to worry about DS again.

DS ate two bites of his "delicious"macaroni and cheese and asked if he had to eat any more. I was really getting worried again. DS said he was tired and he laid down on the seat. He wouldn't eat anymore, so I felt like it was time to go. We still had dessert coming out, but I didn't want to wait. I gave my sisters money for the tip and told DS we needed to get back to the room. He reminded me that he had been looking forward to Build-A-Dino for months. So, I took both boys to build their own dinos quickly before leaving. DS moved very slowly but insisted he was OK.

Well, when they were filling his dino I looked down and DS had started to lay down right on the floor. He said he couldn't stand anymore or even sit up. Now I was (internally) starting to freak again. I got both boys a naked dinosaur each and sent Jaden back to his mother.

I decided there was no way we were going to make it back to the boat entrance for POR, so I asked the Build-A-Dino CMs where I could find a cab. They explained that they were always behind the restaurant.

I took DS to wait (I told Carolyn, Jen, and Jaden to shop around and not ruin their night) behind the restaurant. At this point I had to carry my nearly 60lb DS. I knew I couldn't carry him long so it was important to find a cab. Well we waited and waited and I started to worry we wouldn't find anything. There is a small restaurant next to T-Rex that has an outdoor eating area with a bar. I walked over there to see if I could get someone to call a cab, still carrying DS who was trying to fall asleep on my shoulders like a tiny baby.

The CM there told me that a cab really should come by soon, so I went back to wait again.

I have to tell a side story here. When we went to the bar to talk with that CM, there was a couple sitting there. They listened to me tell the CM that DS had been hospitalized earlier in the day and that I needed to find a way to get a cab, the man in the couple offered to carry DS to the POR boat for me. I didn't take him up on it, but it was one of the nicest things anyone had ever done for me. He was just sitting with his wife and immediately offered to carry a heavy, sleepy DS for me. What a great couple. The wife asked what they could do for us. It just makes me smile when people are so good to one another.

Anyway, I finally got a cab and took DS back to POR. The walk back to the room (which was really close) was tough, but we made it. DS was exhausted and I hoped some sleep would help.

My poor boy :(

Once DS was asleep I called his pediatrician and explained the events of the day. She was so unhappy with the hospital for the lack of testing, but she said there was nothing we could do at the time. She of course urged me to watch him closely and take him back to the hospital immediately if there were any signs that he might not be OK. She told me to follow up for sure with them when we got back. I was worried about flying with him but she said she thought he would be OK. She also told me that the shaking nearly positively indicated a seizure and she explained that seizures can present very differently in different people. Again, she stated that she was upset that the hospital hadn't done more.

Carolyn, Jen, and Jaden came back early and when Jen saw AJ (DS) she decided there was no way that POR wasn't going to help if DS needed to rest. She went down to the lobby and when she came back she said a manager would be calling. Sure enough a manager called and apologized and said that we could have the room directly next door for no charge whatsoever and could check out just before leaving. I was so grateful to Jen and that manager (who also gave us one day park tickets for the future since we missed out on all of AK). We all went to sleep not knowing what tomorrow would bring for DS.

Next Post- Follow up with Pediatrician and How DS is Now

This update only follows what happened after we left WDW, but there is still more of the trip to report. I just wanted to put this in here for anyone who is wondering...

So on the Monday after we got back, I kept DS home from school (he didn't mind that at all!) and took him to the pediatrician. It's a big practice this wasn't the same person I had spoken to on the phone.

The doctor confirmed most of what we had already heard. He also wasn't impressed with the treatment received at the hospital (I brought all paperwork with me) and said there was no way he could find out what happened so far removed from the situation. He educated me even more on seizures and also felt strongly that DS did indeed have a seizure. He wanted me to know what to look for if it happened again.

He also eased more of my guilt about DS being possibly dehydrated explaining that the hospital would have hydrated him if that had been a concern, but this also worried me more since I knew I could prevent anything like dehydration in the future. We still have no idea what caused it, but thankfully it hasn't happened again. My own theory is that his little body just shut down from everything. We were so busy, our whole routines were way off, we ate at strange times... I just think it was all too much for him, but that do I know :confused3

I did let his school know and the nurse was great and so was his teacher. His teacher is the sweetest thing ever and she sent him to the nurse one day because he had red cheeks. I love that she was so concerned. So that's about it. He's just fine and is still very much himself. I watch him very closely and am slightly psychotic about breakfast now. No more waiting and just drinking milk! :rotfl: I just hope we never experience it again, but this story has made me find many, many other parents who seem to share in this experience. Many people have children who had only one seizure and never another. So that's uplifting.

1. I'm glad your son is ok

2. I'm also glad the manager took care of the room situation. Speaking as a previous CM, I feel like the first girl should have gotten a manager. If there was ever a situation where a family genuinely needed something that was beyond my control, I always went to a manager! That is what they are there for. I would have been irritated for you if you had had to pay to use a room for the day.

1. I'm glad your son is ok

2. I'm also glad the manager took care of the room situation. Speaking as a previous CM, I feel like the first girl should have gotten a manager. If there was ever a situation where a family genuinely needed something that was beyond my control, I always went to a manager! That is what they are there for. I would have been irritated for you if you had had to pay to use a room for the day.

Thank you! I'm so glad he is ok too!

I totally understand what you're saying. I had always been told Disney will go above and beyond when you need them to, and I needed them to. I had a good reason for asking, but this one CM just wasn't concerned. Like you said, I totally understand she couldn't make the decision on her own, but I wish she would have called a manager. Anyway, when the manager did call he was so nice and really tried to find any way to help. It was also really great that he gave us the free tickets for future use. It was such a nice gesture. We really did love POR :)

Oh my goodness, this just brought a tear to my eye that POR called you and reimbursed the cab. People can say what they want to about Disney, but more often that not, they go above and beyond.

Oy, then I read about the not so great room experience. :sad2:

What a truly awful day to have anywhere let alone Disney.

Haha, I had to giggle a bit when your sis stated that POR was going to help. I pretty much knew at that point what was going to be the result. :laughing:
That said, I'm glad to hear they finally did the right thing and restored my faith a bit.

Also, thank you for the update on your son. It's great to hear that this was hopefully an isolated incident.

Oh my goodness, this just brought a tear to my eye that POR called you and reimbursed the cab. People can say what they want to about Disney, but more often that not, they go above and beyond.

Oy, then I read about the not so great room experience. :sad2:

What a truly awful day to have anywhere let alone Disney.

Haha, I had to giggle a bit when your sis stated that POR was going to help. I pretty much knew at that point what was going to be the result. :laughing:
That said, I'm glad to hear they finally did the right thing and restored my faith a bit.

Also, thank you for the update on your son. It's great to hear that this was hopefully an isolated incident.

Thanks!!! I think they really do go above and beyond most of the time as well. In the next day of my report you'll see even more of that! I think I just happened to get a CM who maybe didn't know how she could help? Either way, in the end they made everything more than right. What happened wasn't their fault, but they were quick to try and help. Little things like paying for a cab fare can really make you see they care.

Yea...I don't know what Jen said to them, but she wasn't taking no for an answer. In the past I have been a bit embarrassed by her assertive nature, but I was super grateful for it this time! :rotfl2:

Thanks so much! I'm hoping it was an isolated incident as well ;)

Wow! I just read your entire report. What a rollercoaster of a trip! I am so happy you had a good first couple of days of your trip.

That is sad your sister had to complain about things. I know first hand from my dad complaining that it does feel person. That would really upset me.

I am glad your son is ok now but that whole ordeal was so traumatizing! I can't believe POR wouldn't originally let you stay in the room just for a few extra hours. Thankfully the manager worked it out.

You need a do over next trip with just you and your son!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter