Magic Key Program

Yikes these blackout calendars are terrible -- the Enchant Key looks like someone took a baseball bat to the old Flex Pass, and charging the same.

They found every holiday weekend and crossed them all out. On the Enchant key there are only 15 GREEN Saturday's in 52 weeks.

Last edited:
Old park hopping no more. Reservation for both parks

The Flex Pass worked like this too- you could make a reservation for one park or the other or both parks. For Flex Pass, a both parks reservation still only counted as one reservation against your allowed total. But presumably there are/were fewer "both parks" reservations available (and for Flex they did seem to go faster)

So, this is an aside, but the direct entrance from Grand Californian into DCA is kind of a degraded benefit now because of how park hopping works (the 1pm rule). The Magic Key announcement sort of solidifies this, which means no more meandering into DCA in the AM and promptly heading over to DL (which is what I used to do). Ouch.

ETA: okay this part gives me hope "Please check the Park Hours calendar and the Disneyland app for the most up-to-date Park Hopper hours, as they could start earlier at a later date, depending on the day and park."

Old park hopping no more. Reservation for both parks
Where did you see that? I’m reading as “Magic Key holders who have a park reservation for both theme parks may cross over and switch between parks on the same day beginning at 1:00 PM. Magic Key holders who have a park reservation for both parks must enter the first park as designated in their park reservation prior to visiting the other park. At this time, a park reservation is not required after visiting the first park; however, reservation requirements are subject to change.”

The Imagine Key (most affordable) is only available for Southern California residents. The Enchant Key looks good ... but the bulk of weekends are blocked off, as is most of summer. Deciding between that and the Believe Key will be hard ... it may not make sense to get a pass at all.

I can’t find anything about how far in advance park reservations can be made or any comments on if a Magic Key holder is staying at a Disney owned hotel ie Grand Cali?

has anyone else found those details?

So, basically the 'old' AP program but with reservations?

I don't really see any difference in the Dream vs Sig+ and the Believe vs Sig as far as availability and blocked periods for the Believe. The Enchant calendar looks a bit like the flex calendar as far as blocking but I never really paid that much attention to it TBH.

I don't think it's really going to change crowding all that much.

So much for no more AP's. These are simply AP's with reservations. Happy for the folks who live local and missed the passes. Sad for the out-of-town tourists who pay a fortune to visit and end up with a miserable experience due to overcrowded parks. I have zero doubt that Disney will allow reservations at numbers that make the park miserable again. Crowding isn't nearly as big of a deal if you visit many times a year. But if it is your once a year, or once in a lifetime visit, it can greatly diminish the experience and make the visit not worth the cost.

Typical Disney. Promise an improved experience for everyone, but cave when you decide the money is too tempting. Again, I am happy for the locals, but really disappointed to see Disney returning to old ways after stating on multiple occasions (including to shareholders) that it wouldn't. I wish it had found more of a balance (like annual ticket books).

When things start to return to pre-covid crowds, our family will look for different experiences. It won't be a huge loss for Disney, as there is always another family willing to take our place, apparently. Its a big world out there and there are more and more great options available for the prices Disney charges anyways. We will return from time to time for nostalgic reasons, but it won't be the frequent visits of years past.

Last edited:
Oof those blackout dates. I think we are going to try out the enchant tier and maybe upgrade down the line if it’s too restrictive.

My conclusion: this is the old AP system with reservations, and these things will go FLYING off the shelf because of how affordable the top tier is. Parks will become crowded again on Friday/Saturday nights.

Wild card/unknown: how the reservation calendar will behave with premium AP holders (yes, I'm using that terminology, I don't care what it's called) blocking off their 6 reservations in the 90 day period.

I'm still mulling over how to be strategic -- I'm imagining the parks will be crowded on the SoCal AP (yes, I'm also calling it that, lol) unblocked days...those might be days to avoid, now.

We will probably get the enchant key but might need to modify our trip plans in october since most weekends are blacked out.

I'm somewhat interested in the Enchant Key IF we do 2 visits within that year-long time period. My dates next year aren't blocked out, hmm. I also don't like visiting at peak times, anyway.

Enchant is tempting. The blockout days are a little crazy, but I noticed my spring break is still open, there are a few weekends, and my school district gets out before blockouts start for summer. The only downside is Thanksgiving...I really enjoy my Thanksgiving week trips. I guess it's good they gave us a few weeks to think about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter