Luggage transfer not so magical

Kristin0713

Mouseketeer
Just want to give others a heads up and maybe they can avoid our challenging experience. We arrived late Sunday night for a one night stay at Pop. Monday morning at 8am I called to have our bags transferred to GF. They came right away and tagged them. The guy said the transport would start at 1pm, it’s usually delivered by 4pm but they can’t guarantee delivery until 5pm. No problem, we were headed out for the day and not expecting to get into our room at GF until 3. So after a long day at Epcot we arrived at GF around 3:30. Luggage had not arrived, fine. We relaxed in our room at went to dinner at 5, called down to luggage to check on it before leaving. Still not there. After dinner around 6:30 we checked again. At this point GF didn’t know where our luggage was because it did not arrive with luggage transport. They (GF) started searching and around 7pm called us to say they located it—it was still at Pop in the luggage room. Someone would bring it right over they said. Now by this point we were EXHAUSTED and just wanted to get our kids showered and in bed. Our night before was really late and we had been at Epcot all day. FINALLY our luggage arrived around 8:15. The bellman who brought it up was wonderful and so apologetic. He said this has been a growing problem when transferring from value results because Disney hired an outside company to do their luggage transfers and just the night before the same thing happened to another family. I said, we are doing another thrsnsfer on Thursday to WL, is this going to happen again? He said no because they (GF) will do it, there will be no problem.

So anyway—I think if doing this again I would find a way to move my own luggage from a value resort. They comp’d us half our night at Pop and gave us extra FP’s for the ordeal but it was still extremely frustrating sand exhausting, not to mention stressful to start worrying if our luggage got stolen or permanently lost.

Half the room charge and FP, I’d say a great trade! Remember, you can always Uber to your new hotel early and leave your bags at the Bell desk, that’s what we do. Sorry it happened, but sounds like you came out ahead, enjoy the rest of your trip!

We had the same thing happen when transferring from ASMo to CSR last year, only we didn't get to the second resort until after 10pm and our bags were still at ASMo. It took less than an hour to get it sorted and get us our bags and we got some extra anytime fastpasses for the next day.

This is why I use uber to transfer myself and my luggage. I dont always do a split stay, but sometimes I do. When i do, I take uber or a cab. I made the mistake once of letting disney transfer my luggage. Took forever. Never again.

I have done a split stay between the Dolphin and BWV thd last 2 years and will again early next year. I wheel my suitcase along the walkway between the resorts and then check it with bell services at the resort I move to. Have done same between BCV and BWV. I might look silly but I know where my stuff is.

Thank you for sharing your experience, this information will undoubtedly help future guests. I'm sorry that you had this experience. I don't believe that any amount of compensation would have you as coming out ahead.

I know that the valets working the desk at the entrance to a resort are outside contractors and not hired by Disney. The same can be said for those people working the outside airport luggage check in desk.

As with any outside contractors who are working for private companies while at Disney, there is very little incentive for these companies/employees/supervisors to do a good job. The focus of these companies is to win the contract and provide the minimum service for the maximum profit. They will try to get away with as much as they are able to and are depending on zero guest feedback about their lack of performance to be reported to the Walt Disney Company.

This results in an increase in problems experienced by guests. I would urge you to drop a line to Walt Disney World Guest services with a description of the problem that you experienced. Here is the email address: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

It is vital that guests who are experiencing problems report them to the Disney Company. These independent contractors surely will not do that and service will not improve until it is forced to by Disney management, spurred on by guest feedback.

It's just the way things work now at Disney. It's no longer about providing the best customer service, it's about trying to see how poorly things can be managed until the guests complain.

~NM

On a related note, if someone doesn't use Uber, what other options do they have other than using WDW luggage transfer? My SIL is transferring from Pop to CSR next week. They have two small kids, so they won't be able to ride in Uber without car seats. I suppose her DH could do it on his own, but he'd have to contend with four suitcases. And I don't think they've ever used Uber, as its not prominent where we live. I guess Minnie Van would be another option, but costly. Do they have any other options?

We have done several split stays and never had trouble with luggaage transfer. Maybe we were lucky, or maybe it was because it was deluxe to deluxe.
What happened to you would be frustrating, but it seems Disney did what they could to compensate.

On a related note, if someone doesn't use Uber, what other options do they have other than using WDW luggage transfer? My SIL is transferring from Pop to CSR next week. They have two small kids, so they won't be able to ride in Uber without car seats. I suppose her DH could do it on his own, but he'd have to contend with four suitcases. And I don't think they've ever used Uber, as its not prominent where we live. I guess Minnie Van would be another option, but costly. Do they have any other options?

Uber, Mini Van, and taxi would be the options I think. But I'm not sure if you can catch a mini-van at a value resort?

If her DH did decide to do the luggage transfer himself there would be Bell Services at CSR to help with the 4 suitcases.

I have this thing where I have to know my luggage is at the resort before I can relax. We never use the luggage tags for Magical Express for this reason. We always grab our luggage and take it on the ME, so when we get to our resort we know we have everything. I've also always taken a taxi when transferring resorts so we have our luggage with us.

I know they create these services for convenience and so you can go to the parks sooner without taking the time to transfer everything yourself, but we feel better when we know our luggage is there.

Just a regular taxi. You can't take luggage onto the Disney buses/boats/monorail, so either a car service of some kind or letting Disney handle the bags are the options.

Uber, Mini Van, and taxi would be the options I think. But I'm not sure if you can catch a mini-van at a value resort?

If her DH did decide to do the luggage transfer himself there would be Bell Services at CSR to help with the 4 suitcases.

I have this thing where I have to know my luggage is at the resort before I can relax. We never use the luggage tags for Magical Express for this reason. We always grab our luggage and take it on the ME, so when we get to our resort we know we have everything. I've also always taken a taxi when transferring resorts so we have our luggage with us.

I know they create these services for convenience and so you can go to the parks sooner without taking the time to transfer everything yourself, but we feel better when we know our luggage is there.

I always have a carry on bag or two with me anyway when using ME which has to be checked at bell services upon arrival when room isn’t ready. I think I will take your suggestion and forget the luggage tags when using ME in the future. Still get the convenience of riding the ME bus.

Last edited:
It was reading stories such as yours that helped me to decide to "transfer" my own luggage!

We stayed at POP for one night in October. Grabbed our bags, an Uber, and checked into the Poly the next morning.
No lost, missing or delayed luggage. Easy peasy!!

We have done several split stays and never had trouble with luggaage transfer. Maybe we were lucky, or maybe it was because it was deluxe to deluxe.
What happened to you would be frustrating, but it seems Disney did what they could to compensate.
We just did a transfer from pop to beach club and didn’t have any trouble. Our luggage was there by 4 pm.

I know that the valets working the desk at the entrance to a resort are outside contractors and not hired by Disney. The same can be said for those people working the outside airport luggage check in desk.
Yes and yes, but neither of these departments stores, delivers, or transfers luggage. That's the domain of Bell Services/Luggage Assistance. As far as I know - which does not make it true - these departments are staffed with Disney CMs.

A good thing to remember is other factors can come into play as well. For example, this past September my friend and her family transferred from the BC to the A of A. They had Disney transfer their luggage and they did not get it at A of A until after 7 PM. The reason was lightning storms and they don’t do luggage delivery during lightning storms at least at resorts that have outside corridors . Just another thing to keep in mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter