"Loving on" someone?

Is this a new expression? I'm hearing it used frequently and I don't know exactly what it's supposed to mean, or is it something unique to my little micro culture.

I've heard it my whole life. The context I have heard would be like someone kissing a baby. "She's sure loving on that baby". That sort of thing. I could see it having a variety of uses though, some of which could be new (or vastly different lol).

Is this a new expression? I'm hearing it used frequently and I don't know exactly what it's supposed to mean, or is it something unique to my little micro culture.

"Love on" definition from the urban dictionary.....

To display affection towards (someone), especially in a dramatic manner.

The definition is from 2006, but it's not something I've heard others using.

I have heard the term off and on for a long time. I haven't really used it myself or heard it a lot. I know it has been around though.

I've also heard it said by people of evangelical denominations who want to reach out to help a family through tough times-meal train, helping with child care, supporting them emotionally, etc.

I think it's a southern expression.
Not really. Northern Canada is about as far from the southern States as you can get and I’ve heard and used it all my life. It generally denotes doing something a little special for someone in need or who could use extra TLC.

And maybe just a little OT, but “bless your heart” is very common here too, just not ever used as snark. :goodvibes

Not really. Northern Canada is about as far from the southern States as you can get and I’ve heard and used it all my life. It generally denotes doing something a little special for someone in need or who could use extra TLC.

And maybe just a little OT, but “bless your heart” is very common here too, just not ever used as snark. :goodvibes

Thanks! I just learned something today. Being from the southern United States I did not know it was said other places, too.

And I say bless your/his/her/their heart all the time without snark! One little way we are more alike than we know. :flower1:

Thanks! I just learned something today. Being from the southern United States I did not know it was said other places, too.

And I say bless your/his/her/their heart all the time without snark! One little way we are more alike than we know. :flower1:
:laughing: Yes, always learning! I didn’t even know it was supposed to be an insult until I read it on the DIS. ;)

I've heard that my whole life. An expression my wife and I use from "Brother where art thou" is being "loved up". So when the dog jumps in her lap and licks her face, She's "been loved up".

I need to love on that puppy or I need to love on that baby are the most common ways that phrase is used around here.

I work with kids so whenever they get a new puppy or baby they have to bring it to the gym so that I can love on it.

All of these. When my best friends mother died I wanted to take him home and “love on him” meaning take care of him. I “love on” my kids and “love up” the dog or a baby.

I've heard that my whole life. An expression my wife and I use from "Brother where art thou" is being "loved up". So when the dog jumps in her lap and licks her face, She's "been loved up".

I need to love on that puppy or I need to love on that baby are the most common ways that phrase is used around here.

I work with kids so whenever they get a new puppy or baby they have to bring it to the gym so that I can love on it.

I don't think I've ever heard that, except maybe once on a TV show or something, and I've definitely never used it. I grew up in Maryland, now live in New Jersey, for reference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter