"Loving on" someone?

While I’m not a southerner, I’ve lived in south off and on. I’ve always heard it in south, never in north. Endearing I suppose to shower with cuddles, attention, gifts .... one or more.

Now Bless Your Heart is straight up snark. While the degree can vary from “poor thing tried” all the way to “he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know” ... I would never use unless snark intended.

In south both very old sayings. Never heard either up north.

I'm from NY and I've definitely heard it. I wouldn't say that it is used all the time, I think we (those around me) tend to say "Give me some love" or "I'm giving you some love" much more often.

I've heard it more recently as an urban dictionary term. It's the opposite of "hating on" someone. A term Kanye West likes to use often as he is so controversial with whatever ignorant stuff pops put of his mouth and he thinks people are "hating on" him for it. :rolleyes:

I actually just used the phrase this morning when my oldest DS sent me a pic of his newborn daughter nestled on his chest. I said "She's a loving on her daddy". I really don't know if I had used this phrase before this but in the thread title were just the words I needed. :love:

Southern girl here... Yep I have heard it all my life, my Grandmother said it... " Look at you love'in on that sweet baby now give her here so I can.." or "Oh my that couple was just love'in all over each other in public shame on them" ...

I have used it all my life...

Now " Well Bless your heart" is another phrase that has a lot of different meaning... and I have used it all my life as well

I definitely heard it growing up (western NY state). I still do now (eastern MA) but maybe not as much?

In either place, it's just a shorter phrase for "showering affection on".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter