Losing interest in the main show

They used to do the Daily Fix that they could bring back to do just news items. Then during the main show go into more detail on some of the items via discussion. But I understand why they stopped the Daily Fix. The production of this 5 or so minute Daily Fix actually was a lot of work to prepare for.

I think that's a good point. The Daily Fix stories did not need to be mentioned in any detail in the Tuesday show.

The only thing I wish they would change is make the news stories quicker, more like bullet points. Then point back to the DIS for the full story.

I understand the need to publicize Dreams. There were probably a ton of listeners who never heard of Dreams or just saw them as a sponsor. They have every right to push their business, that's what pays the bills and gives us the podcasts. That's fine with me.

Yes, I understand and fully encourage pushing Dreams, Dreams picks up the tab at the end of the day not covered by Patreon, advertisers or YouTube.

But I think promoting everything under the sun dilutes the focus on Dreams and what it offers.
A long term Dreams client becomes a DVC owner, now Dreams can no longer book since they are using points. So an agent loses many years of personal investment developing that relationship and residual income for trips for years to come.
The agent still might book a cruise here or there, but still it’s never made sense to me. It seems short-sighted.

I also don’t understand how FB groups pays the bills or what can be gained by joining. If I ever had a cruise question, I can’t imagine not asking right here on the board. Their knowledge is second to none.

Yes, I understand and fully encourage pushing Dreams, Dreams picks up the tab at the end of the day not covered by Patreon, advertisers or YouTube.

But I think promoting everything under the sun dilutes the focus on Dreams and what it offers.
A long term Dreams client becomes a DVC owner, now Dreams can no longer book since they are using points. So an agent loses many years of personal investment developing that relationship and residual income for trips for years to come.
The agent still might book a cruise here or there, but still it’s never made sense to me. It seems short-sighted.

I also don’t understand how FB groups pays the bills or what can be gained by joining. If I ever had a cruise question, I can’t imagine not asking right here on the board. Their knowledge is second to none.

I had the same thought about the DVC push. Like, WHY would a travel agency want to promote DVC? Seems completely counterproductive. They get NOTHING out of doing that.

I had the same thought about the DVC push. Like, WHY would a travel agency want to promote DVC? Seems completely counterproductive. They get NOTHING out of doing that.
The DIS sort of does. Pete has been very clear that they have a financial relationship with the DVC Store for many years. The DVC Store, I believe, has been a sponsor of the site for about as long as the site has been around.

The DVC shows do not necessarily focus on buying direct from Disney. But they definitely push the resale market and the DVC Store sells DVC on the resale market. As new resale contracts become available, the DIS helps to promote these contracts.

This also. There was a good stretch last year where Pete didn’t host and to be honest the show turned into a circus those weeks and it really turned me off. That was the only time I was actually skipping episodes. Yes he’s responsible for the endless plugs but he also has the best screen personality and understanding on how to host a show like this.

When I click on a video and see that Pete isn't hosting it, I usually click off and find another one. Some people don't like Pete as a host but I think the show goes off the rails too much when he doesn't host.

When the Disneyland show moved to YouTube video and away from Podcast, the format changed away from the "formula" that the WDW and the Disneyland show both had been using (e.g. Housekeeping, News, Rapid Fire). The new "format" of the Disneyland show (at least to me) just didn't flow very well. It was nothing but topic based or what to buy at the park. I think this put a fair number of people off and the number of people watching or listening just declined. Granted, the Disneyland show was on a very long hiatus with no show (which probably didn't help either). When Craig started hosting the Disneyland show, they reverted more to the original "format" and the show became much more watchable. But by that time, I think the damage was done and they had lost their viewership/numbers and just couldn't justify the Disneyland show.

I do agree with others that the current format does get to be a bit repetitive and dull. Like others, I do continue to listen (more of a podcast person than video for the DIS shows). If the WDW show is ever changed, hopefully they look at what they did with the Disneyland show and learn what not to do.
Do you have the DIS Unplugged app? I downloaded it from iTunes and if I can’t watch the show, it will be uploaded as a podcast a few days later. Sometimes it’s easier to listen instead of watch.

Do you have the DIS Unplugged app? I downloaded it from iTunes and if I can’t watch the show, it will be uploaded as a podcast a few days later. Sometimes it’s easier to listen instead of watch.
I just wait for the iTunes feed and then listen that way. Never tried their app.

I don't mind the ads, that's simply the "price" we pay for the content. It does seem at times though that some of the panel members aren't really into being there and except for the rapid fires, we won't hear much at all from them.

If Pete isn't hosting, the show does tend to be less "watchable". Not everyone can lead a discussion group and it's not a knock against the other team members who have skills in other areas. John does a decent job and I'd also like to see Deni get more chances in the moderator's chair when Pete and John can't be there. I think she would do a fine job as well.

I've been drifting away from the podcasts but for a different reason than most.

I am finding myself priced out of Disney and it depresses me greatly. I used to do several WDW or DL trips a year. And I simply cannot afford it nowadays. Not sure if we're even going once this year.

So listening to the show just leaves me feeling very jealous and bad about myself. And in that case, it is definitely time to peace out.

I still enjoy the show, but I agree that that the housekeeping is getting to be too much again. I was on a cruise last week so only got around to last week's show yesterday (I'm a podcast listener only - primarily on the subway to/from work). I didn't mind the less structured format. The news...no need to try and force 3-4 stories if there are not 3-4 stories worthy of discussing. It's fine if it is just 1 or 2 stories (or none like last week).

Rapid fires should not be ads and promotions for ABD trips or anything else. That should be taken care of - very quickly - during housekeeping. They should be about new food items, new merchandise, ride/store/restaurant closings and/or refurbs, special or limited events (even off-property in the area or at Universal and Sea World - which they used to talk about occasionally, but never talk about anymore), operating hours changes, etc. There are always plenty of these types of things they could mention if they just spend a few minutes online looking for one prior to the show.

I think each show should feature a viewer/listener question segment where they answer a couple of questions each show. Most could be quick-hit type answers regarding trip planning and such, while occasionally a question can be more thought-provoking and lead to a lengthier discussion. Additionally, I have always felt there should be more of a connection to the boards on the show. Heck, they could get enough content to fill the show every week from the Rumors & News forum alone. I used to think there wasn't enough DCL discussion, but obviously, that now has its own show.

I've been drifting away from the podcasts but for a different reason than most.

I am finding myself priced out of Disney and it depresses me greatly. I used to do several WDW or DL trips a year. And I simply cannot afford it nowadays. Not sure if we're even going once this year.

So listening to the show just leaves me feeling very jealous and bad about myself. And in that case, it is definitely time to peace out.
@OhioStateBuckeye - You're not alone. I used to go every year, sometimes twice a year. Haven't been since November '12, and between the prices and the crowds, I have no IDEA when I'll go again! :( Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Hugs.

I personally still watch, because it still brings me joy. Both at watching "friends I just haven't gotten to hug yet", and also to relive wonderful memories. Someday I may choose not to, because it brings me too much sadness, but for right now I'm good. I definitely understand why you can't, for now, though. I hope, hope, HO(PE that it changes for you, and you can SOMEHOW get to go again, and get your mojo./joy back!!

Show was great today, but the thing that annoys me most about the show these days is the constant talk about Disney Cruises. I don't understand why... it has nothing to do with Walt Disney World. There aren't segments of the show dedicated to the other Disney parks or Aulani.... why do cruises get such prominent placement in the podcast?

Show was great today, but the thing that annoys me most about the show these days is the constant talk about Disney Cruises. I don't understand why... it has nothing to do with Walt Disney World. There aren't segments of the show dedicated to the other Disney parks or Aulani.... why do cruises get such prominent placement in the podcast?

it’s big money. I am sure the commission on a cruise is higher than a resort booking. With that said maybe the cruise talk will die down when the new show launches.

I'm totally on the opposite side of this. I don't think the show is long enough. I hate when Pete says, "We're running long so we'll cut it off here." NO! Keep on talking. The longer the better. I listen in the car and I listen over the course of 2-3 days because my commute isn't that long. It doesn't matter to me if they talk for 1 hour or 3 hours. It gives me entertainment for as long as it lasts.

I do this too over the course of the week!

Sorry to mention your Announcer voice Craig, I caught your reference to it at the beginning of the show today. Loved the show and all your contributions today! You are awesome. Not that you really care what I think!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter