• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Loading a Golf cart in the back of a truck

Pic #2. The ramps are loaded and an extra 2"x10" is used on each one to lessen the angle.

GolfCartloading051.jpg

Pic #3. Headin' up the ramp. This is where you get a little nervous. By pic #4, you are now committed. Make sure you have ramps adequate for the weight.

GolfCartloading052.jpg

GolfCartloading053.jpg

Pic #5. This is how I run the support cables for the tailgate. It keeps the tailgate from hitting the camper hitch without having to remove it.

GolfCartloading054.jpg

Pic #6. I'll throw some tie-down straps on it just for safety (in case the parking brake pops off). After that, hook up the camper and head to the Fort.:thumbsup2

GolfCartloading055.jpg

Cool pics, thanks for posting them, I was wondering as well. P.S. I love the cart, NICE!!

Thank you lawnspecialties for the pics. Also, thank you everyone for the info.

Okay, I do have another question. I noticed in the pictures your cart is a lifted and our cart is standard height. Do you think that it would bottom out?

Okay, I do have another question. I noticed in the pictures your cart is a lifted and our cart is standard height. Do you think that it would bottom out?

Depends on your truck. My truck is a F-350 4x4 with taller then stock tires and before I lifted my cart it did bottom out on the tailgate. If your truck is a 2 wheel drive you shouldint have a problem.

I doubt it.

Like Lone Star said, it all depends on the height of your truck. If you'll look at the pic closely, you'll notice a few things which may help you out.

First, the ramps I use have an arch near the top. This will help a lot against bottoming out on the tailgate.

Second, if you'll look closely, the truck is on a slight grade forward. That makes the tail stick up higher than usual and I too have larger than stock tires (not as big as Lone Star's). If I had the front of the truck actually uphill, I could probably drive a skateboard up there without bottoming out. What are you pulling with?

Either way, you have plenty of time to try options. I see in your sig. you're not going again until late in the year and even then, you're going to Pop Century. :sad1:

YOU NEED TO STRAP THEM TO THE BUMPER. I NEARLY KILLED MYSELF WHEN THE RAMPS KICKED OUT FROM UNDER THE CART
BIG TIME...GOT YOUR BACK,STRAP THEM DOWN TIGHT...Did the same,at the fort,take your time..

I have the ramps that fold in 2 for loading my 4 wheeler in the truck. I would never skip the 30 seconds it takes to fasten the safety straps. I saw a guy unloading a Grizzly 660 and the ramp slipped and the bike rolled back on him. One question I have to the people who haul carts in the bed is does the roof drag a lot?

...... One question I have to the people who haul carts in the bed is does the roof drag a lot?

Are your referring to wind drag?

If so, I don't think it really has any effect at all. If anything, it helps fill the void in the bed of the truck which we know is a huge drag hitting the TT's front.

I've even heard several people say you don't need to strap down the roof but I do for long trips. One sudden updraft under the roof and then seeing it fly away and possibly hitting another vehicle. What a way to put a damper on a camping trip.:sad2:

Are your referring to wind drag?

If so, I don't think it really has any effect at all. If anything, it helps fill the void in the bed of the truck which we know is a huge drag hitting the TT's front.

I've even heard several people say you don't need to strap down the roof but I do for long trips. One sudden updraft under the roof and then seeing it fly away and possibly hitting another vehicle. What a way to put a damper on a camping trip.:sad2:

Well said I take my roof off, especially after market 80" tops (what I have) you get a little wind under it and its possible it could come off!!!!:headache: :scared1:

I doubt it.

What are you pulling with?

Either way, you have plenty of time to try options. I see in your sig. you're not going again until late in the year and even then, you're going to Pop Century. :sad1:

We will be pulling with a 1993 Chevy 2500 6.5 turbo Diesel with 1 ton suspension, lowered but not slammed. It is roughly same height as a 1/2 ton.

Pop Century is our back up plan if we do not get a Toy Hauler or TT.

I have the ramps that fold in 2 for loading my 4 wheeler in the truck. I would never skip the 30 seconds it takes to fasten the safety straps. I saw a guy unloading a Grizzly 660 and the ramp slipped and the bike rolled back on him. One question I have to the people who haul carts in the bed is does the roof drag a lot?

I have had my cart in the bed of my truck a few times. Never knew it was back there. I was not pulling a trailer at the time.

Pic #5. This is how I run the support cables for the tailgate. It keeps the tailgate from hitting the camper hitch without having to remove it.

GolfCartloading054.jpg

lawnspecialties I was just looking at your picture
and got to thinking about how to close your tailgate. Not sure if this is a good idea or not for you but it looks like in the picture the floor board on your cart is only about 6 inches to low for your tailgate to close. If you had some blocks the
right thickness under the rear tires you could close your tailgate. Then strap
the cart down. But do what works for you.:thumbsup2 Just a observation
not a recommendation.

Great thread, thanks for posting the pics! We'll be loading our cart (when we get it next month) into the back of a 2500 GMC w/ an 8 foot bed while pulling our tt! :thumbsup2

At the very rear of the truck bed you should have two hooks on each side (most if not all trucks have them) hook a strap to one hook across the bed to the other side, lock the brake and you are good, if you have chocks you might want to put them behind the front tires for added security.

I use the same method as Lawnspecialties except I have an F-250 two wheel drive short bed. I bought a special rear foot rest that folds up flush with the rear edge of the rear seat, but I still can't close the tail gate. Initially, I looped the tailgate cable over the latch post as Lawnspecialties does, but that still didn't get the tailgate up high enough to clear my LP tank cover in sharp turns (a' la backing into campsites at FW). Now, I use a ratchet type cargo strap attached to the rear seat frame to ratchet the tailgate up until it touches the rear frame of the golf cart. I also use the same type of ratchet type straps to tie the golf cart down to the rear cargo hooks next to the tailgate hinges as a safety measure.

I have considered removing the tailgate, but haven't so far.

BTW, I once saw a TT being towed by a truck with a lifted golf cart in the bed that was lifted high enough that the rear seat's foot rest cleared the closed tailgate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter