• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Loading a Golf cart in the back of a truck

1goofy1

<font color=darkorchid>Wants to be under the awnin
I have a few stupid questions for those of you who have loaded a golf cart in the back of a truck and who tow a travel trailer.

How long are the ramps that you use and how difficult is it for two people (one man and one woman) to load the golf cart in the back of a truck?

We are on the fence about a toy hauler and a travel trailer. The price of Toy haulers makes us consider a travel trailer and loading the golf cart in the back of the truck.

My husband and I have done this with a pick up. Frankly, I'm not sure how long the ramps are..I'd have to check. When we are at the campground the easiest thing to do was find an area to back up to where the land was higher ..does that make sense? I'm sure I'm not explaining that correctly. This way the ramps were not on such a slope. Was pretty easy. When getting it home that was another issue. We have the truck in the road backed in toward the driveway..with the ramps extended over the apron onto the side walk. Again...less of a slope when the cart came off. Of course hubby backs it off..and We all cross our fingers and hope for the best!:rotfl: Only kidding!

I have asked this before too, and I was told its pretty easy. Just use the longest ramps you can find, the longest I have seen were 94". I was also told that if you have a 4 seater, that even on an 8' bed you will need to either leave the gate down, or take it off. I hope this helps a little, and I will be reading this thread with you, we are still looking for a cart. We found a local place that will rent us one for $350 for a month, as compared to the $500 it would cost just to have it while at the fort, but then we would have the loadig problem as well.

Oh...that's right we did need to leave the tail gate down.:thumbsup2

Are you able to drive the cart on the ramps onto the bed of the truck or do you push it? We have loaded our dirt bikes in the back of the truck and that is 200lbs each as compared to loading a golf cart at say 500lbs or more.

My dh loads the golf cart himself and ties it down and gets it out all by himself, while I watch..;)

We had to buy our ramps off of the internet because our golf cart had a standing platform on the back so we need long arched ramps so when unloading it wouldn't drag the ground.

What we bought were 10 foot long arched ramped from discountramps.com. They were a bit expensive but they are very heavy duty and will last a life time.

This is one thing we did not like about FW we thought they should have a golf cart unloading area so people don't have to lug those ramps when traveling so far. They have an unloading area at the beach which is very easy and nice .

We have to chain our ramps to our tt, people have tryed to steal them more than once. :scared1:

Oh by the way we would love to have a toy hauler just can't afford one right now, we have to take the back tailgate off of our Silverado 3500 whenever we travel with the cart because it's so long, the tailgate slips off pretty easy, but it is aggrevating to mess with.

We'd love to have a toy hauler but have "perfected" our way of loading the golf cart so much, we don't feel we "have" to get one.

I have an F-250 long bed and the golf cart does have a back seat. I bought a pair of 7' folding ramps from Northern Tools. I also use two 4' sections of 2"x10" treated boards laid from 1/4 up the ramp to the ground to take off the steepness of the ramps right at the ground.

The cart goes up this fairly easy although it is a little scary thinking if the ramps broke.

Once loaded, I take the tailgate support cables and wrap them around the locking pins (the pins attached to the bed which keep the tailgate locked up).
When wrapped around once, it holds the tailgate at a 45 degree angle. This is perfect since it doesn't hit the cart and doesn't hit the TT.

We're loading the cart Wednesday and I'll try to get some pics while we do it.

We're loading the cart Wednesday and I'll try to get some pics while we do it.

Pictures would be great.

Are you able to drive the cart on the ramps onto the bed of the truck or do you push it? We have loaded our dirt bikes in the back of the truck and that is 200lbs each as compared to loading a golf cart at say 500lbs or more.

Pictures would be great.

I think you'l find an electric cart is closer to 900 - 1000 lbs.

We had at first bought ramps from Northern Hy. too but they buckled on us now that was pretty scary, doesn't help that my dh is a big man either.

That's why we had to buy arched ramps, truth me you won't push the golf cart up the ramp, you will have to drive it up and it's really not that bad, once you have done it once or twice it's easy. We have a long bed truck also but still end up having to take the tailgate off.

1goofy. we took one trip with the cart in the back of our truck to the ft. I didn't like driving the cart up and down. I have ramps i can sell you, they're heavy duty steel, hold 1500lbs each. they were like $350 on ebay, and they are perfect. we bought a toy hauler.

If you have an option of buying a toy hauler do that, we have looked at many of them and they are just to dang expensive for what you get, we just couldn't afford one, if that's not an option then a golf cart in the back of your truck will work just fine, you'll never know it's back there whenever your traveling.

When we had our TT, we put the golf cart in the back of the truck. We have a 05 Tundra Crew Cab. We (like Gatordad) got our ramp off the internet. It was an ATV ramp, which I would not recommend because we ended up having to put wooden inserts for traction. You are not going to be able to push it up the ramp. I eventually sold the ramp because we got a MH. It can be done with one person, however, I recommend someone else there for safety measures. Make sure you have the tie downs as well. We didn't have a back seat on ours and still had to leave the gate down.

If you dont like driving the cart into the bed of the truck then mount a winch on the front of the cart or in the bed of your truck and winch it in and out. They sale a small elec. 12 volt winch for $70.00 at Wal-Mart.

My dh loads the golf cart himself and ties it down and gets it out all by himself, while I watch..;)

Oh we watch too...and we stay out of the way. The man never curses...but when he's loading the golf cart or putting up Christmas lights...gotta cover your ears, and hope that young neighbor children aren't near by!:scared1:

We eventually purchased a utility trailer..rides right in. We just tow the cart, as our trailer has been on a seasonal site past few seasons.

LoneStar.....you are one true hardcore Texas good ol'boy, aint ya? Man...I can hear that heavy Texan accent even in your typing!!!! I bet you're a hoot to go drinkin with.

If you are able to settle for something "golf cart like".

ricksesv.com/cricket

I was thinking of one of these because it should fit under the bus in one of the bays.
I think they were around $2000.00.
Four weeks rental at disney.

LoneStar.....you are one true hardcore Texas good ol'boy, aint ya? Man...I can hear that heavy Texan accent even in your typing!!!! I bet you're a hoot to go drinkin with.

You caught me Rog. I do enjoy a good BEER:drinking1

I have the heavy duty ached ramps, too, but I use them to load a Harley in the bed of my one ton Dodge on occasion. Although I don't haul the cart in the bed because I have a motorhome, I have test loaded it just to see if it would fit. Did it by myself without any trouble. I have a four seater and I would have to leave the tailgate down. BTW, are you checking to be sure you aren't overloading your rear axle with the weight of the golf cart and the tongue weight? Some may be pushing it with a half ton pick up.

Here's pic #1. These are the ramps I bought from Northern Tool. One is in the folded position. For extra safety, you can strap them to the bumper to keep them from sliding.

GolfCartloading050.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter