Little white Lie???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to apologize for getting things heated around these parts.

In looking back and rereading my posts, I do realize that I have been totally contradicting myself.

I am ALWAYS an advocate and "dirty look thrower" when it comes to reusing resort mugs, and this is totally no different.

Of course, everything is expensive at Disney World, it is expected and we know this going in. It really isn't right to try and go around the system. I just looked over our credit card statement from our recent trip... WOW. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have shaved off part of our expenses just because we didn't ride Splash Mountain at MK, or because we didn't have chicken at Boma. Wouldn't it have been nice if we could have lied and said DH was my SON and not my... DH! We would have saved a bunch on park tickets!

You get my point. I see the error of my ways.

It's just not right to lie and cheat someone else. Besides, it always comes back to bite us... usually when we least expect it.

But with that said, I am still going to order a kids chicken strips meal, and there is nothing that is going to change my mind about that! :laughing: ;) :goodvibes

Sorry again folks!

Here's the thing, it's not your 3 year old kid who you're passing off as 2 that gets me. It's that you're trying to somehow justify that it's OK. It's not.

Go over to the DISabilities board and ask those parents over there if they pass off their kids as 2 so they get in free. Is it OK that your 3 year old gets in free when s/he won't ride rides or eat much but someone else's wheelchair-bound child who is also unable to speak or get out of their chair to ride many rides and will not eat any Disney food b/c the child has significant food limitations has to pay. Blind people can't see any of this but they pay full price. Deaf people can't hear the stuff but they pay full price. They don't have a 'hungry person' surcharge -- and I've seen some people eat their weight in food. Grandma who is in an ECV and 'eats like a bird' and won't even ride IASW b/c she's afraid of the boats still pays full price.

It is NOT a victim-less crime. It does hurt someone. Disney is the victim and eventually the rest of us pay for your choice.

If you're not too hungry and want to order off the kids' menu and the CM lets you, Disney had a choice and they (their representative) said OK. It was mutually agreeable. No harm, no foul.

Disney made these rules. There are lots of rules. Just because they don't require you to verify their age, they do ask you when their birthday is when you make the reservation. If you lied then, it's your choice.

Why would it be OK to lie to Disney but not your insurance company? Oh, right, b/c your insurance company will sue you and deny every claim. The risk is too big. Is it OK for a 14 year old to get a driver's license b/c mom & dad are tired of driving him/her around and the kid is 'mature and responsible'. NO!

Just b/c it's not a crime doesn't mean it's not wrong. But then again, if you define unethical as only those things that are illegal then you can sure justify a lot of behavior.

I recall vividly my parents telling me in different cost-saving situations, "Today you are 4... 5... 9... 14..." As far as I can tell you, being 26 years old now, I NEVER lied to get out of trouble. I STILL feel guilty lying. I consider myself an honest person... an honest person who will tell my just barely 3-year-old, "You are 2 today."

Is it right? Nope.

I'd say, save yourself some cash this trip, because you'll sure as heck make up for it in years to come!

Please go back and reread my post because I said when a child lies to the parents THEY GET INTO TROUBLE. I never said lie to get out of trouble and I wonder how you could even consider yourself honest when you have admitted to LYING!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused3:confused3

Yeah, but this lie isn't hurting anyone. The OP said that her kid isn't going to eat much or ride much... perhaps even less than a free 2-year-old might? When my parents would "lie" for me, it was for the same reason. Why pay for something that you will use the same of or less of that someone a year younger gets for free?

I am generally honest. I don't think my parents telling me to say I was "insert age here" as a child made me grow up into a terrible person.

It's not like lying about height to get your kid on Space Mountain. It's not a safety issue. It's like ordering a kids meal instead of an adult meal.

Would I lie about this? Yes.

Would I feel guilty about it? No.

Would I feel guilty telling them my four year old was two? Yes.

Would I do what my parents did? Probably not.

Would I do what the OP wants to do? In a heartbeat.

Just wondering but why should the 3 year old that can ride more than the 5 year old child with special needs or the 30 year old adult with injury/illness/special need be allowed to cheat the system and get in free when they still get something out of it?? Your justification is as flawed as your idea of honesty. I can honestly admit I have lied in my life but I pay for my children to go to Disney World and other things at the price for their age. Does it suck having to pay more?? Sure does but guess what, IT IS THE HONEST THING TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And there are times my 11 year old will eat way less than my 6 year old but that does not change that I have to pay the adult price for the dining plan for her.

I live on a fixed income due to disabilities from Active Duty service but we save our money so we can afford to go and PAY for the tickets. This year we get a break but we saved enough even if we had not gotten the break and as soon as we get done with this trip we will start saving for the next one. Disney knows the ages of my children as well as their birthdates and I do not intend on teaching my kids to lie about their ages.

Just wondering but why should the 3 year old that can ride more than the 5 year old child with special needs or the 30 year old adult with injury/illness/special need be allowed to cheat the system and get in free when they still get something out of it?? Your justification is as flawed as your idea of honesty. I can honestly admit I have lied in my life but I pay for my children to go to Disney World and other things at the price for their age. Does it suck having to pay more?? Sure does but guess what, IT IS THE HONEST THING TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And there are times my 11 year old will eat way less than my 6 year old but that does not change that I have to pay the adult price for the dining plan for her.

I live on a fixed income due to disabilities from Active Duty service but we save our money so we can afford to go and PAY for the tickets. This year we get a break but we saved enough even if we had not gotten the break and as soon as we get done with this trip we will start saving for the next one. Disney knows the ages of my children as well as their birthdates and I do not intend on teaching my kids to lie about their ages.
I truly believe that children and adults with disabilities such as you have mentioned should get in for free.

If you saw, I did take back everything that I said. Sorry to have stirred the pot.

How's this weather we're having? That should be a safe topic! :rotfl2:

:lmao: It's HOT and HUMID!!! I don't mind the hot so much as the humidity. Storms are gone for this week finally.:lmao:

On Topic tho, the OP question was a good one. Maybe not the context (right word?) that she asked it. I have never been to Disney and was wondering if they did require you to carry around a BC for your child. My DD is maybe only a foot or so shorter than me. She's only 5!! People easily mistake her for 7 most of the time.

But I do agree that you shouldn't lie about anything. Especially so you can free services and whatnot. That's not right at all. So the OP initial question was a good one maybe if she left the back story out, everything woulda been fine. Kwim?

For the posters who think it's ok to lie and not pay for some in their party (whether it's the 3yo's or the 10yo's), here's some basic info that maybe can help you understand things a little better...there's a cost associated w/ simply walking into the parks - doesn't matter the age of the person.

The streets and sidewalks require periodic maintenance from people walking on them (and strollers strolling on them). The more people that walk on them, the sooner they'll need maintenance. Basic common sense here. The toilets flushing and toilet paper being used cost money. Your kid is still in diapers? The trash bags and people to change the trash bags and clean the bathrooms cost money. The chair your child sits on at the restaurant costs money (whether your child eats like a bird or not). EVERY single thing in the park costs money. Please think about it.

For the posters who think it's ok to lie and not pay for some in their party (whether it's the 3yo's or the 10yo's), here's some basic info that maybe can help you understand things a little better...there's a cost associated w/ simply walking into the parks - doesn't matter the age of the person.

The streets and sidewalks require periodic maintenance from people walking on them (and strollers strolling on them). The more people that walk on them, the sooner they'll need maintenance. Basic common sense here. The toilets flushing and toilet paper being used cost money. Your kid is still in diapers? The trash bags and people to change the trash bags and clean the bathrooms cost money. The chair your child sits on at the restaurant costs money (whether your child eats like a bird or not). EVERY single thing in the park costs money. Please think about it.

This was my argument when friends of ours taught their 3 yr old to lie about his age while at Disney. Their argument - he can't ride all the rides. My argument - he's still using the park and it's facilities & enjoying the entertainment - all of which costs money to operate. It's not just about the rides people.

I think no matter how long this thread goes, people are going to do what they want regardless and there's nothing we can do about it. People will lie and steal all the time no matter what and say whatever they want to justify it to themselves.

We told a 'white lie' last year, but it cost us more. DS at the time 9, is a very adventurous eater. He would've been misrable having to eat nuggets and pizza all week. I listed him as being older so he wouldn't be limited to the childs menu. They didn't ask for any proof of age, but like I said it was lieing up instead of down, so not sure what they do for little ones.

We told a 'white lie' last year, but it cost us more. DS at the time 9, is a very adventurous eater. He would've been misrable having to eat nuggets and pizza all week. I listed him as being older so he wouldn't be limited to the childs menu. They didn't ask for any proof of age, but like I said it was lieing up instead of down, so not sure what they do for little ones.

I know children are allowed to use adult tickets at WDW, even though they cost more. Several people have posted that they had new adult tickets (like given from a family member who couldn't go) and wanted to use them for a child. Disney doesn't generally allow you to downgrade tickets, but they will allow a child to use an adult ticket. I'm not sure how they feel about the DDP - it would probably only be an issue during free dining since you would be getting the extra value of an adult plan when you should be receiving the value of the child plan. Interesting dilemma.

We rarely get the dining plan since DD10 (who was 9 on our last trip) prefers to order from the adult menu and I didn't want her to be limited to chicken nuggets and pizza either. We just paid OOP, but now she is considered an adult and is thrilled about it! We might try the DDP next time since she will be an adult and can order adult meals. DD6 will probably want kid's meals forever - she is very picky! Once she is ten, we'll probably go back to paying OOP since she would prefer to eat an appetizer for dinner, but her tastes might change in four years.

I think no matter how long this thread goes, people are going to do what they want regardless and there's nothing we can do about it. People will lie and steal all the time no matter what and say whatever they want to justify it to themselves.

Sad but true. No one has posted that they didn't know the rules - they have posted that they intentionally lied to get their child in free when the child was not entitled to get in free, or they have asked if they will get caught if they try it themselves. Nothing a bunch of strangers post on a message board is going to make someone develop a conscience.

No matter how often these threads come up, I'm constantly amazed that this is even a topic of discussion among adults. I can see a bunch of five year olds debating whether to swipe a piece of gum from a store (although you'd hope they know better by kindergarten), but adults lying to get hundreds of dollars worth of admission and food free?

As others said, no it is not okay. As a matter of fact, we were on vacation last week and my daughter was 1/2 inch short to go down the large water slide. I told her to wear her water shoes the next day and she told me she couldn't do that because that was cheating. She was right and I was so proud of her!!!! The next day she wore her water shoes and told the attendant she was 1/2 inch too short yesterday so wore her water shoes today and didn't want to cheat him. He chuckled and let her go.

Would you like it if someone cheated you? For example, charged you $10 over for something you paid for? Afterall, that is not that much money. I bet you would go to customer service to get the $10 back. I know I would.

Do what your conscience is telling you and give your child's correct age.

The longer people try to lie about kids' ages pretty soon we'll pay for babies inutero to enter parks since everyone can't play by the rules.

It stinks but eventually they will get thier $, if not on the liars going then the truthful visitors that repeatedly visit.

I've had them mess up our kids' ages on reservations before and always corrected them; if I wasn't prepared to pay for them then I wasn't prepared to go at all.

I have to agree with some of the others-it's your conscience;which is undoubtably not stopping you from trying to "rip-off" Disney,and the rest of us who are HONEST!!! :rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

Why too does it seem that those who lie about their kids ages are always staying at the Deluxe resorts? So it is not like they have to lie about their kid's age or stay home. Not that that would make it any better, but the excuse that Disney is too expensive is always thrown out there.

OK to all of you self righteous, morally superior (than me obviously since I had to even post the original question) over zealous flamers: I have decided, what I am going to do, so thank you very much for your input.:scared1:

AND just so you ALL know Disney has spent Millions of Dollars on thier latest marketing "little white lie" of "FREE ON YOUR BIRTHDAY" Disney was ALWAYS free on your birthday.It was one of the ideals that Walt himself, insisted upon, so all of you who have bitten into that little lie can eat it up with a spoon. AND further more; Disney tickets used to NEVER EXPIRE automatically, this wasn't an "add on feature" they dreamed and charged buku bucks for as a way of making extra money... I bought tickets when my oldest daughter was 2 (12 years ago) and didn't use the last day due to illness, and when I asked for a refund they told me, tickets never expire... SOOO that marketing genious was introduced sometime in the last 12 years. and I am not 100% certain on this one : but Disney also changed the age from "3 and under" to "under 3", because I was allowed in free on my first trip when I was 3 in 1976. Unless my parents lied, in which case would explain what is wrong with me now:rotfl2:, oh the horror of trying to save money from a company that is really fleecing its loyal followers all with a smile ....:worship:
but thanks to the few non judgemental, kind people out there!!!:cheer2:
PS I am not disclosing which way I decided, let ya all wonder a little more:rotfl:

OH, AND BY-THE-WAY: it's not as if Disney isn't going to get my money either way I decide, either on a full(OVERLY PRICED)admission price and meal plan and less souveniers, pictures extras etc. or lot's and lots of those ( GROSSLY OVER PRICED) items to make my children smile and have memories to bring home... either way the budget is the budget...:teacher: and I have to stick to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter