• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Line holders

We just came back from a 10 day trip and I only encountered one line cutter It was an adult male with both hands loaded with oranges, of all places, It's a Small World. He said he needed to catch up with his family. It was a 10 minute wait so no biggie but I was tempted to show him the end of the line and have his family meet him there, but my teenage so. Gave me the stink eye LOL.

What if he stands in line for popcorn that my kids are going to eat? Should my kids wait in line for popcorn or can he do the waiting even though someone else will consume it?

If you can't see the difference between waiting in line for a product that can be consumed anywhere and waiting in a line for limited spaces for a ride or show, then to be on the safe side everyone eating a snack should wait in the line.

If you can't see the difference between waiting in line for a product that can be consumed anywhere and waiting in a line for limited spaces for a ride or show, then to be on the safe side everyone eating a snack should wait in the line.
Um, this wasn't about a ride or a show. It was about snapping a pic with a character.

If you're so uptight that it turns out that 2 kids are going to be in the pic with mickey instead of the man standing in front of you, maybe you need to take a more relaxing vacation.

I mean, sure, my 4 year old won't die without a drink, but if it makes her whine a little less during a 45 min wait, I will surely be willing to go grab water while she waits in the sun. It helps make things more pleasant for everyone waiting...
Call me crazy...bring it with you so you don't have to go get it?

lol. Divide and conquer, y'all. What if he wanted the pic instead? He is waiting to take a pic, which his kids are going to be in instead. What if he stands in line for popcorn that my kids are going to eat? Should my kids wait in line for popcorn or can he do the waiting even though someone else will consume it?
So you're saying that yes, your time IS more important than everyone else waiting. I'll say it again...rude.

You won't ruin my trip because I'm not letting you get past me. The CM that I call over will take care of you.
I bet you are every CM's dream!

Don't worry, if a CM tells me I can't go give my kid their water, I will call it a win for not having to sit through the ride and I will let everyone else in line listen to my kid cry. Lucky for you, we only do DL where people seem to be a bit more chill.

You won't ruin my trip because I'm not letting you get past me. The CM that I call over will take care of you.
Hey Irish just trying to get you to the 1,000 message mark....and I disagree. If he waits in line for a picture and autograph that is what he should get even if it is his kid holding out the autograph book. I find people holding tables at quick service locations even though the spouse is still 10 minutes away from even being able to place the order let alone bring the food to be far more problematic when people are walking around with food trying to find a place to sit down and eat. Yet I don't go up to tables with people just sitting there without food or drink and tell them to get the hell out.

Hey Irish just trying to get you to the 1,000 message mark....and I disagree. If he waits in line for a picture and autograph that is what he should get even if it is his kid holding out the autograph book. I find people holding tables at quick service locations even though the spouse is still 10 minutes away from even being able to place the order let alone bring the food to be far more problematic when people are walking around with food trying to find a place to sit down and eat. Yet I don't go up to tables with people just sitting there without food or drink and tell them to get the hell out.

I smell a line cutter.........

My kids are all grown now so if they have to use the restroom or are thirsty, it's their responsibility to take care of it but back in the day, I carried a backpack with cold drinks and easy to eat snacks so I didn't have to worry about leaving the lines. Forget Mickey bars. They'll live if they have to wait an hour or so to get one. The one time we actually had to leave the line to take someone to the restroom, I found it too stressful. I made sure everyone went to use the facilities before we got in line. I guess I was lucky. We're used to driving yearly from Texas so their bladders got trained early. We don't stop on our way to FL just to use the restroom. We stop to eat, use the restrooms, and get gas all at one time. It has worked well for the last ten years. Discipline, that's what's missing nowadays.

Chill out, everyone.

Please be constructive and reasonably cordial to each other. You don't have to be overly friendly with those whose opinion you don't agree, but please be courteous and respect other people's opinions and feelings. And, for the love of everything, please stop with the jabs and arguments.

doesn't mean we have "angst" about it.
If there is one thing that this thread proves is that there is angst over this issue. Maybe not by you. But it is out there.

if every family has one placeholder for the 4 others, it will significantly affect the wait time.
Actually, this is the great fallacy that most people don't understand. Mathematically, if everybody used a placeholder, the line wouldn't change a bit. Imagine the following scenario. There are 100 "groups" in line Every group in line is a family of four. They all get line and wait. No one cuts. This is utopian. Go ahead and assign a wait time to this. It doesn't really matter what it is. Let's say 30 minutes. Now let's change it up. Every group utilizes a placeholder and each group has three other people who are free to eat, shop, go to the restroom. Whatever. As soon as their placeholder is 10 people from the front of the line, the rest of his/her group starts to reassemble and joins the line right by the boarding area and boards the ride. Guess what? Your wait would be exactly the same. When everyone uses a placeholder, you achieve the same utopian state. This is essentially what they have done with Dumbo. So your assumption that everyone using a placeholder would significantly affect the wait time is provable wrong.

so what you're really saying is it's only ok if "some" people do it.
Actually, if you re-read my posts, you will see that at no time did ever say that it was ok. I said the opposite. My point is that the frequency isn't significant enough to cause me to fret about it.

and if you haven't seen 10-20 people cut in line, you haven't been there during the tour group season or cheer time.
I have been to WDW in every month of the year in approximately 40 of the 45 years that it has been open. I have never, ever seen 10-20 people try to cut a line. I'd say 4 is my personal best.

So I just read everything. Most of it referencing actual rides vs character meet and greets which is where I had a difference of opinion with someone several weeks ago. At the actual rides I wouldn't find myself bothered personally if I've been in the line a minute or 2 and someone from the party did use the bathroom and then joined. We've never done that (DW/DD6), I'd just wait for them and then all start the line together. Were I had the disagreement with someone (and I'm sure some on this thread) was that I feel fine in getting in line at say meeting Belle in France at Epcot (outdoor line if you aren't familiar) while my wife and daughter are doing something else. When they get there I'd leave and go to China to repeat for Mulan. If my wife was also going to want to have extra pictures taken with her in them I'm fine with calling that cutting in line. If you got in line behind me knowing someone was going to be meeting Belle and it was the bare minimum number of 1 I don't see the reasonable complaint. Yes if it were the Brady Bunch I am on board of thinking it is wrong.

So you are alright with one person cutting the line which I,m guessing usually falls into what your family is doing but more than that is a problem to you? Not trying to start a fight but don't knock me just because I believe in not line cutting based on the principle of it. If you believe in the principle than 1 is too much. Again if someone is already in line and needs to step out then back in due to a restroom visit no problem. That person was already waiting with the rest of us. However is a family wants to split up to do two things at once so some of the group doesn't have to wait at the second attraction I see that as a problem. That's trying to beat the system as I see it and is not fair to those who always have to wait in line for EVERY attraction they go to at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter