Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Hi friend! I, too, miss your input on things, which is why I have been texting you more. Haha. But you know, without trying to bug you. Yay for race week! I am sure you will do awesome. You have been putting in the work. When would your Marathon training start? I just calculated my next schedule and it should be 11-12 weeks max and I am SO EXCITED. This has been a long, tough journey and I can't wait to do my 13.1 victory lap and move on to the next one. I am actually getting pretty nervous about my half coming up because I haven't ran 13.1 miles since February. The farthest I have ran on this plan was 11 miles. And I know the extra 2 miles versus the extra 10 miles of comparison to a Marathon isn't the same, but I keep thinking "what if I fall apart in those 2 miles". I just have to trust the training....

Hi friend! I, too, miss your input on things, which is why I have been texting you more. Haha. But you know, without trying to bug you. Yay for race week! I am sure you will do awesome. You have been putting in the work. When would your Marathon training start? I just calculated my next schedule and it should be 11-12 weeks max and I am SO EXCITED. This has been a long, tough journey and I can't wait to do my 13.1 victory lap and move on to the next one. I am actually getting pretty nervous about my half coming up because I haven't ran 13.1 miles since February. The farthest I have ran on this plan was 11 miles. And I know the extra 2 miles versus the extra 10 miles of comparison to a Marathon isn't the same, but I keep thinking "what if I fall apart in those 2 miles". I just have to trust the training....

Hi!! :wave:
Text away anytime. It never bugs me. I just don't answer texts because I only occasionally pay attention to my phone.*
*This is actually not true. Sometimes when I'm close to the door in barre3 I get my text messages on my watch because I never remember to turn off the bluetooth on my phone and if I get more than one or two texts, it bugs me. But then I just turn off the bluetooth on the watch and it's fine and if I remember, I respond to the texts after class. But the part about only occasionally paying attention to my phone is true. I gotta figure out if there's a way to get my text messages into iMessage on my work computer ... that's the one downside of having an android.

I'm thinking marathon training will start on October 8th. Race is September 30th, then I'm MIA Monday and Tuesday, so we'll start working on the plan on Wednesdayish, and since the week starts on Monday, I expect it to start the 8th (and just do recovery runs on Thursday and Sunday, which are short and easy runs). Unless we want to start the plan now already and just finalize it on Sunday/Wednesday so that I can start Thursday? (paging @DopeyBadger)

I feel ya on the half. It too me a long time to be okay with not running 13.1 before a half. I haven't gotten that feeling for the marathon yet, which is why I'm so freaked out.
But I'm sure you'll do great at your half. Even with a peak long run of 11 miles, you've trained long (so long...) and hard and I know you're gonna rock this race. And the post-race wine.

Whenever is fine with me. The more lead time the better as this is a very busy time of year with me having runners finish plans and hoping for a quick turnaround. Adding in a whole group of new people as well which always takes much longer. But I'm staying ahead best I can and always ready and happy to help!

Whenever is fine with me. The more lead time the better as this is a very busy time of year with me having runners finish plans and hoping for a quick turnaround. Adding in a whole group of new people as well which always takes much longer. But I'm staying ahead best I can and always ready and happy to help!

Aight. So I'll start putting together all the info I need to send you as soon as I have some free time and hopefully we can get started on this later this week or something. Thanks!

New Balance Bronx 10 Mile: Race Plans

It’s getting close to race day … which means it’s time for a race update! Here are some early thoughts about the race, the plan, the outfit (or what I have of it), and whatever.

Packet Pickup:
Like most of the races I’ve run this year, packet pickup is at the NYRR RUNCENTER, which is only a little bit out of the way on my way to or from work. Packet Pickup started on Thursday, September 20th, and I went after work on Friday, September 21st. Got my bib, got a pocket guide for the race, got my shirt … nice and easy.

Outfit:
When I started taper, I had no idea what I wanted to wear. All I had was a phrase in my head – “Boogie Down Bronx.” But what does that even mean? (I think it might be a rap song, actually)

When I think boogie, I think 70s and 80s – big hair, big shoes, and big colors.

Wait – big colors? I can do that! So … colorblock skirt it is.

(sorry about the crappy lighting... this is from the last time I wore this skirt and we were trying to decide what shirt I should wear)
orange-jpg.317154

Not sure what shirt I’m gonna wear. I want to wear my orange shirt, but I think that will be too hot. It will either be a black shirt or gray shirt, probably. Most of my short-sleeve shirts are race shirts, so it’s definitely tough to find warm weather racing outfits.
With expected weather in the 50's, I'm actually thinking about maybe wearing a throwaway shirt on top and ditching it when I get hot. It would probably be this shirt:
10K Finish Med.jpg
I haven't decided yet, though. If I do a throwaway, I may have to pin my bib on my skirt, which I'm afraid might be awkward. We'll see.

Pre-Race Prep:
One of the things I realized on my two longer long runs this plan is that getting enough sleep would be a game-changer for this race. I haven’t decided what time I’m leaving the house yet (see below), but 5:45am is a possibility, which means I’d want to get up around 4:45am. So I would like to be in bed before 10pm Saturday night, which would get me close to 7 hours in bed (which will add up to about 3.5 hours of sleep, because I’m a terrible sleeper, especially the night before a race … unless I decide to just take a Benadryl before bed, which would not be the worst idea, since I'm having some issues with an allergic reaction on my hand that could become a problem, but also might lead to me waking up groggy).

If I’m reading my calendar correctly, the Sabbath ends at 7:25ish that night. Figure my father and brother won’t be home from services until 7:50ish, and with cleaning up, I won’t be able to start my race prep until 8-8:15ish. Which still gives me almost two hours, but I’d still like to do as much race prep as I can Thursday night – which means packing my bag and making a list of what needs to be done Saturday night. If I do this right, all I’ll have to do Saturday night is put out my clothing (and sunglasses … there was a dream and I forgot my sunglasses and it was bad ... I also forgot my socks and my water bottle and the Uber was there and I kept remembering things I forgot), and then Sunday morning I’ll fill up my water bottle, and then I’m all good.

Getting to the Race:
I have two options:
  1. Subway. This will take about 1.5 hours, so I’d want to leave the house before 6ish to be there by 7:30. Despite the frequent delays and construction, the subway is fairly predictable, and I know there will be other runners on at least one of my trains (there always are…), so this is definitely the “safer” and less risky option … but it’s also the one that takes longer.
  2. Uber. Should be around a 35-40 minute drive (honestly, at that hour of the morning it’s probably a 25-30 minute drive, but I don’t know about road closures), but I’d still want to leave around 6:30-6:40 just in case. This is more expensive and makes me a little nervous because I’m always afraid of chatty drivers or unexpected traffic or something going wrong, but it also allows me to sleep in a little longer and get more done in the morning.
Honestly, I’m more comfortable taking the subway, but I think Uber is a better idea. I really need that time in the morning.
I just have to remember to schedule my Uber Saturday night so that I don’t have to worry about it Sunday morning.

Race Goals:
I have three goals for this race – a “safety” goal (one I think I should be able to reach fairly easily), a “competitive” goal (one that will take some work, but may be possible), and a “reach” goal (one that’s not very likely, but I still wanted to put out there)

• “Safety” Goal: 1:49:39 – this is the time from my 5 mile HM C run a few weeks ago multiplied by two (ie if I had done another 5 miles at that same pace)
  • “Competitive” Goal: 1:45:00 – this was my original goal, and should bump me up a corral for the marathon. But honestly? I’m not as “must do” about it as I was before. Would moving up a corral be cool? Sure. But I’m fine where I am. Maybe it’s because I don’t have so much runDisney experience, or maybe it’s because I’m used to doing it in NYRR races, but … I’m not as bothered by starting in a later corral as some people are. I think I can adjust to it. Which is fine – everyone has their own things that are important to them for races.
  • “Reach” Goal: 1:39:35. That’s my 4-mile PR + 1 hour. AKA run my 4 mile PR and then run 6 miles in an hour. It’s not gonna happen. But it would be fun.
Honestly, I think I’ll be okay with anything under 2 hours. But I’m really hoping I can reach that 1:45 and prove to myself that not only can I run 10 miles continuously, I can do it at a fast pace.

Race Plan:
So, those are my goals. But how am I going to get there?

Here’s the course:
upload_2018-9-26_22-31-38.png
In my head, I’m dividing the course into 5 segments (no, they’re not even lengths … two are somewhat long, but whatever).
  • Segment 1 – Start to over the Cross Bronx Expressway. For the first mile plus, I will be paying close attention to my watch with a goal of an average pace of 10:25. This segment should end with an overpass over the highway … and me getting over my first “barrier” (and yes I ran all the overpasses on my normal route to practice). Distance: Approx. 1.1 miles
  • Segment 2 - Cross Bronx to Moshulu Parkway. For this segment, I’ll try to maintain the same effort as segment 1. If I really find myself unsure if I’m doing well, I’ll check the watch and again go for the target pace around 10:25. This has the potential to be a boring stretch, so it’s all about sticking to the effort and keeping myself motivated. Distance: Approx. 2.75 miles
  • Segment 3 – Moshulu Parkway. This part’s just about getting through. I will walk to eat early in this segment, and then it’s just about getting through the segment at about the right pace/effort. Distance: Approx. 2 miles (actually a little less)
  • Segment 4 – Moshulu Parkway to Cross Bronx. This is basically segment 2 but in the opposite direction. Another long one. At this point I’ll take a quick check in with myself and decide how I’m feeling. If the 10:25 paced effort feels okay but not great, I’ll try to keep it up but be willing to drop back. If it feels good, I may try to go down to 10:20 (or possibly maintain at 10:25). If it feels too hard, I’ll drop back to 10:30. This segment will be all about deciding if my second half should be exactly the same as my first half or not (even though we’re past the halfway point). Distance: Approx. 2.75 miles
  • Segment 5 – Cross Bronx to Yankee Stadium (aka the end). If I’m feeling good, this is where I will really let it rip. Just run as fast as feels okay until I hit the finish. I’ll drop back for a little bit if I need to re-energize, but if I’m feeling good, I just want to run as fast as feels comfortable. Finish strong right near my beloved Yankee Stadium. Speedy like Brett Gardner. Distance: Approx 1.5 miles
I may play with this plan mid-race based on how I’m feeling, but I think the way I broke it up makes sense and hopefully it will help me get to my goal!

Post-Race:
Life stuff (edited to cut out the details because they're not actually relecant), so current plan is to head home right after the race. If I finish earlier than planned , I may head over to the NYRR RUNCENTER to see what the medal engraving line is like, but I can only stick around if the line is less than half an hour. Preferably less than 20 minutes. Not likely on Sunday morning after the race. Sigh.

My dad offered to come pick me up post-race, and maybe even drive me to medal engraving, but I think I’m going to tell him to stay home and help my mom with stuff (if he insists, that’s fine … but it’s regular event parking price at our favorite Stadium parking lot (we paid more for parking than for our tickets more than once this season), so he’ll have to just wait on a street somewhere for me to finish).

Medal:
upload_2018-9-26_22-34-7.png
It’s a record/record player/turntable/something. For the Boogie Down Bronx. Get it?

Yeah, I’m kinda meh about it.

Medal Engraving:
As I said above … I may go, but probably not. I’m not thrilled, because all the other medals from my 5-Borough Series will be engraved, but … it is what it is.

Track Me:
Live Tracking Link: https://liveresults.nyrr.org/e/NYRR-BRONX-2018
Bib #3879
Good news – my bib is already loaded into the system. Yay! So if you go to that link and search my bib number. It comes up. ‘Bout damn time. Usually it doesn’t show up until the night before the race.
I think there will only be timing mats at the start, 5 miles, and finish. So any approximate location or finish time in between those is just that – approximate based on past results and/or my most recent split. And apparently if I finish slower than expected, it just has me at the finish for a while until I actually finish (or so says @jennamfeo). So take that into account when you get excited about how I’m doing.

Last edited:
I'm the worst with commenting, but I've been following along and was really excited to read about your Bronx 10 Mile plans. I hope it's a good race day for you and you can hit that goal of running continuously. (This is something I haven't mastered yet.)
That medal looks pretty cool!

Ahh! It's basically here. I think you're going to have a great race :)
I love the color block skirt- great choice to boogie to the finish line!
I hope the medal engraving works out on Sunday for you.
Big question- what kind of coffee will you drink post-race??

Cheering big for you Sarah! Get it girl!!

I'm the worst with commenting, but I've been following along and was really excited to read about your Bronx 10 Mile plans. I hope it's a good race day for you and you can hit that goal of running continuously. (This is something I haven't mastered yet.)
That medal looks pretty cool!
Thank you!!
I've been able to do continuous for like 3-4 miles for a little over a year now. This is by a long shot the longest distance I've ever tried continuous ... and it's also the longest I will try. I have a half in two weeks, and for that one I'm doing my usual intervals :)

Ahh! It's basically here. I think you're going to have a great race :)
I love the color block skirt- great choice to boogie to the finish line!
I hope the medal engraving works out on Sunday for you.
Big question- what kind of coffee will you drink post-race??
Thank you!!
So ... coffee. If I go for medal engraving, there's a Starbucks next door.
If not, I'll probably just have coffee when I get home. I don't really know where I'd go for coffee near the race.

Cheering big for you Sarah! Get it girl!!

Thank you! :hug:

I almost just answered a question on the boards from someone about something, but then realized that I'd probably get jumped on by both the question asker and the board regulars for daring to answer the question correctly. So I didn't.

Loving the race plan. That color block skirt is great. You've totally got this race just go out there and kill it.

And, I agree with @run.minnie.miles about you on the running thread. I must have missed why you are staying off of that, but whatever, the reason, you should reconsider it! :D

Loving the race plan. That color block skirt is great. You've totally got this race just go out there and kill it.

Thank you!! :)

I don't like this! I want you on The Running Thread permanently. Come on in and stay a while!!
And, I agree with @run.minnie.miles about you on the running thread. I must have missed why you are staying off of that, but whatever, the reason, you should reconsider it! :D

Aww, guys, so sweet of you to miss me. I promise, me yapping here isn't that different than my yapping there.

As for why I'm keeping away...
Officially, I walked away because there's too much college football talk.
Unofficially, there have always been some things that bothered me about the runDisney part of the boards, and I've wanted to take a step back for a while. When what should be a fun and informative discussion about running and races makes me annoyed or angry, that's not a discussion I should be a part of.

This is approximately my 10,000,000th race and I still have no idea what to pack.

Oh wait, I think I shared a packing list for a previous race on here. I should try to track that down.

EDIT: Found It!

SECOND EDIT: I meant to write this with the first edit, but I forgot. As I was looking for that packing list, I came across my 3-year reflection post and I'm really not sure how I feel about sitting out the Turkey Trot this year. I think it's the right thing to do, but it's still tough.
Also ... the other day I found the date of my first ever race. I want to say it was June 16th, 1991, but I might be wrong. It was either 2 blocks or 1/4 mile.

Last edited:
Oh, and, I finally saw the Staten Island Half course. It goes in the opposite direction from the ballpark :(. So I don't know if I'm gonna stick with my Yankees theme. It would have been tough anyway, because I don't want to run a half in a cotton shirt. We'll brainstorm the outfit for that one closer to the race. I may just do NYC theme again, but we'll discuss it.
Also ... remind to share that elevation profile soon. The person I saw mention the one really tough hill was not kidding. It's like a straight line up (not quite, but it's pretty steep). That's gonna be fun.
But at least the scenery should be beautiful since it's mostly along the water.

A) I changed the title slightly to reflect the fact that I see this thread as more of a community of people chatting about running, coffee, and life than just about my run stuff. Yes, I may be the chatter-in-chief, but I like to think that everyone is encouraged to contribute and chat (and I hope that despite my constant whining I have created an environment where that is true) and I wanted the title to reflect that.
B) I came in to work and had to hang my calendar back up (the thumbtacks come out sometimes, I have no idea how, but they do, so I have to hang it back up) and noticed that the back of my desk was super dirty, so I took almost everything off my desk (left the monitor and the phone, which is not mine), cleaned it, and then put everything back in a more organized manner. So now I'm really happy. Apparently organizing makes me happy (I actually knew that already :)). And I haven't even had coffee yet! (We didn't have milk at home and it's kinda rainy out, so I'm having earl gray tea and I may go out for coffee later.
C) While I was tinkering with my desk, I took down my United Airlines NYC Half medal. That space will be empty until I get back to work on Wednesday, when I will hopefully hang up my Bronx 10 Mile medal. Which will only be there for a week and a half before it gets replaced by my Staten Island Half medal. Oh well. That's better than the WDW 5K and 10K medals, which will never get hung up at my desk because marathon medal.

Happy Friday, all!

A) I changed the title slightly to reflect the fact that I see this thread as more of a community of people chatting about running, coffee, and life than just about my run stuff.

I saw this new title when I was glancing at my Unread Threads and had a moment of confusion, because I only saw the end of it. "Wait, whose thread is this? I've forgotten which one this is about!"
But that aside, I like the addition. Running and coffee are two topics I find myself boring people with, so it's nice to see others with similar interests.

B) Apparently organizing makes me happy (I actually knew that already :)). And I haven't even had coffee yet! (We didn't have milk at home and it's kinda rainy out, so I'm having earl gray tea and I may go out for coffee later.

Organizing can be very therapeutic.

I get back to work on Wednesday, when I will hopefully hang up my Bronx 10 Mile medal. Which will only be there for a week and a half before it gets replaced by my Staten Island Half medal.
Happy Friday, all!

Lots of exciting medals coming your way soon!

a) I love the title change. I definitely love coming over here to chat! :)
b) This is the best feeling! I think I'll put cleaning my desk on my "to do list" (another thing that makes me happy) for this afternoon when things are (hopefully) slow.
c) Hanging your most recent medal at your desk is a great idea! I might use this idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter