Let's speculate about Polynesian some more!

How likely do you think the Polynesian tower will be part of a new/old association?

• 100% new association

Votes: 113 37.0%
  • 80% new association / 20% current association

Votes: 64 21.0%
  • 60% new association / 40% current association

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • 40% new association / 60% current association

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • 20% new association / 80% current association

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • 0% new association / 100% current association

Votes: 51 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not to derail the conversation too much but I’m now curious about how often the skyliner does actually go down due to weather. I’ve never had to deal with it but I’ve only been in May, December, January and February so not during the rainier/hurricane season. Does 2x a day sound about right for the summer and early fall?

Not to derail the conversation too much but I’m now curious about how often the skyliner does actually go down due to weather. I’ve never had to deal with it but I’ve only been in May, December, January and February so not during the rainier/hurricane season. Does 2x a day sound about right for the summer and early fall?
I’m curious as to how long it takes to restart the skyliner once weather clears. Since Florida gets random showers, if it takes an hour to restart it it can be a big deal but if they’re able to get it up and running like <10 mins after rain/lightning clears it’s not nearly as bad. We haven’t had to take the bus back except for once near the skyliner path. I’ve actually stayed at BWV more times than I have at RIV. I do recall walking by the skyliner line near the end of the night and thinking that looks crazy when walking back to BW. Fortunately we don’t really like to stay for nighttime spectaculars generally and more often watch fireworks from a restaurant if we do watch them but I’d say thats the bigger issue with RIV not being walkable. That and during rope drop when the cabins are already filled from people staying at AoA, Pop and etc. Again I don’t rope drop either but those are more legitimate reasons why I could see someone despising the skyliner but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Didn’t mean to derail the conversation but we’ve tried to take skyliner to Riviera twice (total, one way trips) and one of the two times (early Mar) it was down for thunderstorms…we took the boat to BWV instead and got an Uber from there. If the Skyliner is down, that means you have to walk back to the front gate of EPCOT in the rain for a bus, right?

Second, we’ve taken the skyliner all the way from EPCOT to DHS at least a dozen times and it’s never been down for that use— most of our trips are in Nov/Dec/Jan/Spring Break.

Personally, I feel the skyliner going down for storms is overblown. It may slightly inconvenience you, but there are several workarounds. 1. Free bus, which after the first time should be a less hectic experience once you know what to expect and logisticson where to go. 2. Walk to BWV and Uber ($ for convenience). 3. Use that miniature super computer in your pocket to watch the weather forecast and plan accordingly.

But now back to beating the dead horse that is poly speculation. Now that the writing is on the wall for same association, I'm planning on buying direct at RR instead of poly. I wish the tower point chats and pricing were out so I could consider both resorts but I'm expecting both to be higher than RR with better 7 mo. studio availability at poly point term.

Last edited:
]Didn’t mean to derail the conversation but we’ve tried to take skyliner to Riviera twice (total, one way trips) and one of the two times (early Mar) it was down for thunderstorms…we took the boat to BWV instead and got an Uber from there. If the Skyliner is down, that means you have to walk back to the front gate of EPCOT in the rain for a bus, right?

Second, we’ve taken the skyliner all the way from EPCOT to DHS at least a dozen times and it’s never been down for that use— most of our trips are in Nov/Dec/Jan/Spring Break.
We've stayed Riviera December 2x, February, April, July, August, and September. Just anecdotally here, Skyliner only went down once -- epic pouring rain that came on super fast. We immediately nixed going to the front of the park looking for the bus and walked to BC and called an Uber. $5 and 5 minutes later we were back home at Riviera.

As for rope drop, we only did it once and it was fine. End of night at Epcot the line wrapped all the way to BC but actually cleared out in about 20 minutes. It wasn't bad.

Since Florida gets random showers, if it takes an hour to restart it it can be a big deal but if they’re able to get it up and running like <10 mins after rain/lightning clears it’s not nearly as bad.
I’ve been on it a few times in the rain. I don’t think it stops for rain alone. There has to be lightening in the area specifically, I believe. And the wait for the skyliner at the end of the day looks long but usually is 20 minutes or so since it’s constantly moving. I find the bus from MK back to Riviera I’m always waiting at least 20 minutes, can’t seem to time that one right, ever lol

It’s been down twice…maybe three times…in all my stays…we have been there every month except November at one time or the other.

The last time it was down when we were there was March 2023. I have never been there when it’s been down even every day, let alone twice a day.

So, we have personally had experienced very little disruption to our trips. However, we do budget for a few trips using Lyft from BCV if we are heading back To the resort and it’s down. That only happened one of the three times.

The other times it was down, we were not in need of it as we were not heading to the park for another hour or so…by the time we did, it was running.

I’ve been on it a few times in the rain. I don’t think it stops for rain alone. There has to be lightening in the area specifically, I believe. And the wait for the skyliner at the end of the day looks long but usually is 20 minutes or so since it’s constantly moving. I find the bus from MK back to Riviera I’m always waiting at least 20 minutes, can’t seem to time that one right, ever lol
I can’t imagine being on the Skyliner while raining…when we were there a few weeks back there was no rain but heavy wind gusts and I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest (meanwhile my kiddo was loving every minute of the ‘extra fun ride’)

And it's not even unsafe in lightning. Other places running this exact system only stop it due to very high winds. Disney is just extra conservative I guess, which I get

I can’t imagine being on the Skyliner while raining…when we were there a few weeks back there was no rain but heavy wind gusts and I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest (meanwhile my kiddo was loving every minute of the ‘extra fun ride’)
The “death buckets” are a hard no for me … we do Riviera as a resort stay, and drive over to Disney Springs for dinner, but that’s about it.

And it's not even unsafe in lightning. Other places running this exact system only stop it due to very high winds. Disney is just extra conservative I guess, which I get
Perfectly safe in lightning, but I bet there would be a shockwave. I think I read somewhere that they are fine even up to 50 mph winds 🤣🤣🤣 come on - I would pass out from fear!

Perfectly safe in lightning, but I bet there would be a shockwave. I think I read somewhere that they are fine even up to 50 mph winds 🤣🤣🤣 come on - I would pass out from fear!
It's not that bad. The highest risk from a storm is an object being blown against the mechanism that links the gondola to the cable. Wind by itself won't do much.
The most likeliest problem from lightning would be frying the electronics - which might lead to a difficult evacuation of the gondolas.

Why is everyone so worried about the Skyliner. Have you ever thought about a monorail beam breaking or an evacuation from the monorail in case of a fire before? No? Why then worry about the Skyliner? This type of gondola system is in use all over the world.

It's not that bad. The highest risk from a storm is an object being blown against the mechanism that links the gondola to the cable. Wind by itself won't do much.
The most likeliest problem from lightning would be frying the electronics - which might lead to a difficult evacuation of the gondolas.

Why is everyone so worried about the Skyliner. Have you ever thought about a monorail beam breaking or an evacuation from the monorail in case of a fire before? No? Why then worry about the Skyliner? This type of gondola system is in use all over the world.
My wife has said she wouldn’t go on it unless we had empty Gatorade bottles because she would be freaking out the whole time that we would be stuck.

My response: “So…. I guess staying at Rivera is a no then….”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter