Let's speculate about Polynesian some more!

How likely do you think the Polynesian tower will be part of a new/old association?

• 100% new association

Votes: 113 37.0%
  • 80% new association / 20% current association

Votes: 64 21.0%
  • 60% new association / 40% current association

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • 40% new association / 60% current association

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • 20% new association / 80% current association

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • 0% new association / 100% current association

Votes: 51 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why are they entitled to the bars and QS? I’ve never been to Trader Sam’s because of overcrowding and I own and stay at the Poly 😂 it’s the same story at VGF at Christmas.

MB might be the wrong implementation, but visitors do meaningfully affect the experience of paying guests.

I'm fine with folks visiting the resorts for paid experiences -- I like to go to Steakhouse '71 when I'm staying at the Poly! -- but I've always been surprised that Trader Sam's doesn't set aside a block of capacity for resort guests. It seems insane to stay there for a week or two at a time, and still never be able to experience it. Maybe we should all spam guest services with that recommendation on every trip!

I think they could restrict resort monorail access for the hour before and after park closing without causing too much disruption for dining reservations or quick service. Frankly, quick service at Poly/GF is already overcrowded, the new tower will probably make it worse, and I am in favor of making it slightly less convenient for people to come add to the lines.

There are people who use the monorail to park up from Epcot to MK. And then take it back at nights end to pick up car.

I just don’t see them adding staff to monitor it. I think what we will see if more options to get from Poly to MK outside of the monorail and that guests at the tower might naturally choose those.

I'm fine with folks visiting the resorts for paid experiences -- I like to go to Steakhouse '71 when I'm staying at the Poly! -- but I've always been surprised that Trader Sam's doesn't set aside a block of capacity for resort guests. It seems insane to stay there for a week or two at a time, and still never be able to experience it. Maybe we should all spam guest services with that recommendation on every trip!
Yes, when it comes to the resort monorail, resort guests and confirmed dining reservations should be allowed to take the resort monorail. Guests who just want to drop in for a drink can go to DS and take the bus. I hate being mean, but it is getting way too crowded on the resort loop and guests staying at the resorts and those with confirmed reservations need priority. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I do think it would solve a lot of overcrowding issues.

Why are they entitled to the bars and QS? I’ve never been to Trader Sam’s because of overcrowding and I own and stay at the Poly 😂 it’s the same story at VGF at Christmas.

MB might be the wrong implementation, but visitors do meaningfully affect the experience of paying guests.

Because Disney wants it that way. They want people to explore resorts as part of the experience.

And, outside the monorail, you have buses that people can take.

Again, I would be shocked to see Disney go back to having CMs who have to check every guest who wants to get on.

Because Disney wants it that way.
Of course they do, and I see it for what it is. Doesn’t mean I can’t disagree.

Non-ADR experiences should take a lot more effort and friction for non-paying guests than it currently does, so that paying guests can enjoy the experiences they paid for. Guarantee TS will have 100% demand regardless. Pretty simple IMO.

Because Disney wants it that way. They want people to explore resorts as part of the experience.

And, outside the monorail, you have buses that people can take.

Again, I would be shocked to see Disney go back to having CMs who have to check every guest who wants to get on.
Will never happen. The flip side of keeping non-guests out of your resort is that now you're blocked out of the other resorts where you're not staying. Is that really what people would want? I doubt very many, I certainly wouldn't.

There are people who use the monorail to park up from Epcot to MK. And then take it back at nights end to pick up car.

I just don’t see them adding staff to monitor it. I think what we will see if more options to get from Poly to MK outside of the monorail and that guests at the tower might naturally choose those.
I think adding an extra boat or two during peak times would go a long way. I always prefer the boat even if it takes a little bit longer but if a boat came every 5-7 mins I think the timing would be roughly the same. Or they could make it so there’s no shared boats and buses anymore for GF and Poly during peak hours. Although this doesn’t solve the issue of resort guests going to Epcot…maybe a new boat line going from GF/Poly to TTC? Is that allowed? And I’m sure I already know the answer but there’s no plans for another Poly boat dock is there?

The flip side of keeping non-guests out of your resort is that now you're blocked out of the other resorts where you're not staying
No I’m not. There’s a useful thing called an ADR.

The reason this stuff matters is Poly is already a zoo. And if the new tower doesn’t meaningfully add to the existing amenities, then the whole resort will be even worse than before.

I think Disney would lose too much restaurant and bar business to restrict the resort monorail to resort guests only. And as Sandi says, having CMs checking for ADRs at every stop would slow down boarding too much - plus, what about people who just want to go to the bar or quick service? There are already too many people complaining they can’t park their cars at a resort if they just want to visit the bar and don’t have a reservation!
That might have been the case historically, but its almost a certainty that the existing Poly dining venues will have increased demand from resort guests after the tower opens.
Of course from Disney's perspective, they don't give a crap. As long as everything sells out, they can just let the CMs apologize when people complain. As long as the money flows in, its "working" from the Disney perspective.

The reason this stuff matters is Poly is already a zoo. And if the new tower doesn’t meaningfully add to the existing amenities, then the whole resort will be even worse than before.
Worse than before, but makes Disney more money, so... yeah, that's where we'll end up.

I think adding an extra boat or two during peak times would go a long way. I always prefer the boat even if it takes a little bit longer but if a boat came every 5-7 mins I think the timing would be roughly the same. Or they could make it so there’s no shared boats and buses anymore for GF and Poly during peak hours. Although this doesn’t solve the issue of resort guests going to Epcot…maybe a new boat line going from GF/Poly to TTC? Is that allowed? And I’m sure I already know the answer but there’s no plans for another Poly boat dock is there?

It's not an option for everyone, but most of us walk from Poly to TTC. Significantly faster and most find walking the Poly grounds to be peaceful.

It's not an option for everyone, but most of us walk from Poly to TTC. Significantly faster and most find walking the Poly grounds to be peaceful.
Oh yeah I do this too I completely forgot lol and I think even from the tower the walk won’t be terrible maybe 15 mins. Scratch that worry then.

If monorail crowding becomes too extreme at the Poly and/or GF, I expect Disney will either run more monorails on the line (you end up waiting to pull into the station, but at least you aren't waiting on the platform), block off a few cars at the TTC so they are empty when they get to Poly/GF, run more boats and/or dedicated boats, stop sharing bus service, run busses to EPCOT, etc.

I could also see them reversing the direction, so it stops empty in the morning at GF and Poly. You end up with the Contemporary being the resort fighting with full monorail cars, but that's the easier walk to MK.

I agree that the Poly dining locations are already pretty overwhelmed, and fear that will get worse -- though who knows what they'll have on offer at the new Tower, or what their plans are for the unused first-floor space they are rumoured to be remodeling.

But from Disney's perspective, demand swamping supply is a feature, not a bug. Just think of all the visitors who are falling in love with the Poly, and will go home dreaming of staying there on a future stay!

I see the most likely option as no more shared resources and increase in boats.

There are no plans currently for a boat dock at Poly, but you wonder if they might consider adding another one at MK so Poly is separate from VGF…

If monorail crowding becomes too extreme at the Poly and/or GF, I expect Disney will either run more monorails on the line (you end up waiting to pull into the station, but at least you aren't waiting on the platform), block off a few cars at the TTC so they are empty when they get to Poly/GF, run more boats and/or dedicated boats, stop sharing bus service, run busses to EPCOT, etc.
They can't really add too many (or any) more Monorails than they are already running during peak periods on the resort line due to the MAPO system. There are a finite number of "hold points" on the beam, as well as individual "blocks" on the beam between stations on the resort loop, and I believe that they are running the max on that resort beam during peak periods (park opening and closing) already.

Some info:

Safe train spacing is maintained via a moving blocklight system, referred to as MAPO, installed in the cab of each train.[11] MAPO appears in the top center of the pilot's console and looks similar to a horizontal stop light. There are three lights—green, amber, and red—and a push-button labeled "Override". The term "MAPO" itself comes directly from Walt Disney, who formed a new company to deal with Disneyland's transportation system directly from the profits made by Mary Poppins.[49]

Each monorail beam is divided into blocks based upon pylon numbering. The currently illuminated MAPO color indicates how far ahead the leading train is currently located. A green MAPO shows that the leading train is three or more blocks ahead, amber means two blocks ahead, and red indicates that the next train is in the very next block. A block is roughly between 500 and 1000 feet (about 150 and 300 m) long, although this varies. The start of each block is called a "hold point", as pilots may need to hold their trains at that location until the train ahead moves away. Guests riding in the front cab of a monorail can identify hold points by the yellow reflective tape around a pylon's number and by two yellow reflectors attached to the top outside edges of the monorail beam at that pylon.

For safety, trains must be kept at least two blocks apart during normal operation. A red MAPO indicates that train spacing has become unsafe. When a red MAPO occurs, the train's on-board computer locks out the pilot's propulsion control and applies emergency brakes. The pilot cannot resume control of the train until either the MAPO clears or the pilot presses and holds the MAPO override button.[11]

It is the pilot's responsibility to avoid a red MAPO during normal operation. When the MAPO switches from green to amber, this indicates that the monorail is approaching the train ahead. The pilot must stop the train before crossing into the next block of beam way and hence before the MAPO switches to red.
If you are on a platform and see a train waiting on the beam to enter the station, something has gone sideways, or they are adding or taking a train off the beam. I've only seen them waiting at the TTC, but that's also where the main switches are.

Last edited:
They can't really add too many (or any) more Monorails than they are already running during peak periods on the resort line due to the MAPO system. There are a finite number of "hold points" on the beam, as well as individual "blocks" on the beam between stations on the resort loop, and I believe that they are running the max on that resort beam during peak periods (park opening and closing) already.

Some info:

If you are on a platform and see a train waiting on the beam to enter the station, something has gone sideways, or they are adding or taking a train off the beam. I've only seen them waiting at the TTC, but that's also where the main switches are.
Very interesting; thanks for educating me!

Yes, very interesting! Thank you for that info. Makes me feel a little safer knowing there’s an override system just incase of any driver error, lol.

When we were @ VGF last December and had a room right over the front of the DVC building entrance and it seemed like the monorail was constantly stopping right in front of us..before the GF platform. I was in room & out on the patio a lot that trip and was wondering why it stopped there so much.

I know GF was really busy with the Xmas decor etc…do they usually add extra monorails around the holidays?

Yes, very interesting! Thank you for that info. Makes me feel a little safer knowing there’s an override system just incase of any driver error, lol.

When we were @ VGF last December and had a room right over the front of the DVC building entrance and it seemed like the monorail was constantly stopping right in front of us..before the GF platform. I was in room & out on the patio a lot that trip and was wondering why it stopped there so much.

I know GF was really busy with the Xmas decor etc…do they usually add extra monorails around the holidays?
I probably should have been clearer. There is room between resort stations for a train to hold (it's +/- 2,500' between the Poly and GF stations). I was really referring to when you are standing on a platform and there is a train right outside the station. If you're seeing trains holding on the beam, they're running at capacity.

Last edited:
No I’m not. There’s a useful thing called an ADR.

Maybe. Policing the monorail isn't the answer though. How do you stop people from hanging around the Poly after their Ohana meal is done? Colored wrist bands? CMs randomly checking magic bands in the lobby?

Maybe. Policing the monorail isn't the answer though. How do you stop people from hanging around the Poly after their Ohana meal is done? Colored wrist bands? CMs randomly checking magic bands in the lobby?

Not to mention that you can now cancel a reservation up as late as 2 hours before. So, are guards or CMs now going to need to set a specific time prior to how soon before a reservation one can enter the resort.

And, without changing the whole bus system to check availability, how is that handled?

Also, the express monorail is going to stop at TTC. So, people can get off there and just walk over.

Now, I think that this new tower is going to add more people to the area and maybe for the pools, they will implement a wristband line SAB to prevent the pool hoppers or random guests.

But for drinking and dining, etc? I think it would to tough to put any situation in play that limits visitors to the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter