Let's speculate about Polynesian some more!

How likely do you think the Polynesian tower will be part of a new/old association?

• 100% new association

Votes: 113 37.0%
  • 80% new association / 20% current association

Votes: 64 21.0%
  • 60% new association / 40% current association

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • 40% new association / 60% current association

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • 20% new association / 80% current association

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • 0% new association / 100% current association

Votes: 51 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

True, studios do not have the same stuff as what they are adding to Poly now, but not sure that helps understand why VDH would be so much more than VGC.
VDH's annual dues might be higher than VGC's due to the costs associated with refurbishments/renovations being amortized over a shorter period than new construction. Since refurbishments typically have a shorter useful life compared to new constructions, the expenses related to refurbishments need to be recovered more quickly.

I wonder if DVC offloaded more costs onto VDH owners than VGC that would explain the discrepancy.

Hopefully they did nothing unethical and/or illegal.
I don’t meant to imply any kind of illegality or unethical behavior, but I also was thinking that Disney may figured out how to get a higher % share of costs passed on to DVC owners over time— or put more charitably, didn’t realize the correct % of costs to allocate to DVC owners earlier on the program.

But you can also imagine that if the hotel is 80% of all rooms, they are going to pick up a bigger share of valets, bellhops, restaurant operating costs, etc. than a hotel that’s only 50%. Also, depending on union/contracts for labor and other long term lock in contracts from suppliers that pre-date the past few years of inflation, it’s possible that the Grand Cal complex just has lower operating expenses. If it’s taxed like everything else in California, the property taxes are grandfathered in and far lower as well.

I don’t meant to imply any kind of illegality or unethical behavior, but I also was thinking that Disney may figured out how to get a higher % share of costs passed on to DVC owners over time— or put more charitably, didn’t realize the correct % of costs to allocate to DVC owners earlier on the program.

But you can also imagine that if the hotel is 80% of all rooms, they are going to pick up a bigger share of valets, bellhops, restaurant operating costs, etc. than a hotel that’s only 50%. Also, depending on union/contracts for labor and other long term lock in contracts from suppliers that pre-date the past few years of inflation, it’s possible that the Grand Cal complex just has lower operating expenses. If it’s taxed like everything else in California, the property taxes are grandfathered in and far lower as well.
You also have to think about the point chart. Or, maybe more to the point, the total amount they collect compared to the number/type of rooms. If the dues are half as much, but there are twice as many points required to stay there, then it all kind of balances out.

The perfectly legal way to pass on higher costs to DVC owners is to have the costs based on the number of people in the DVC resort vrs. the hotel side. DVC resorts run at pretty much 100% occupancy and then increasing studio occupancy from 4 to 5 everywhere they could (something I think should never have been allowed) bumped up the person count even higher for the DVC side.

Fwiw Tom Bricker over at Disney Tourist Blog casually mentions in a post today (about renting DVC points) that Poly 2 is joining the existing association. I don’t think Bricker has additional information that isn’t public knowledge , but rather is taking the existing announcements at face value. Anyway, it’s striking to read about Poly 2 without caveats, speculation or paragraphs of what-ifs. Here’s the relevant paragraph:

The Polynesian Tower has not yet started booking and probably won’t until sometime this summer. However, that new addition is joining the existing condo association (a little inside baseball–but relevant), so it’ll work a bit differently. It’ll also be incredibly competitive because there are already Poly points in circulation that will have priority, even as only a portion of the rooms in the Poly tower are declared into DVC inventory.

Fwiw Tom Bricker over at Disney Tourist Blog casually mentions in a post today (about renting DVC points) that Poly 2 is joining the existing association. I don’t think Bricker has additional information that isn’t public knowledge , but rather is taking the existing announcements at face value. Anyway, it’s striking to read about Poly 2 without caveats, speculation or paragraphs of what-ifs. Here’s the relevant paragraph:

The Polynesian Tower has not yet started booking and probably won’t until sometime this summer. However, that new addition is joining the existing condo association (a little inside baseball–but relevant), so it’ll work a bit differently. It’ll also be incredibly competitive because there are already Poly points in circulation that will have priority, even as only a portion of the rooms in the Poly tower are declared into DVC inventory.
I think he does probably have inside information to phrase it that way. He routinely caveats when he isn’t certain about things or thinks Disney has left itself room to change its mind.

The perfectly legal way to pass on higher costs to DVC owners is to have the costs based on the number of people in the DVC resort vrs. the hotel side. DVC resorts run at pretty much 100% occupancy and then increasing studio occupancy from 4 to 5 everywhere they could (something I think should never have been allowed) bumped up the person count even higher for the DVC side.
We love having the option to add a 5th person in the studios…what is the concern?

I think he does probably have inside information to phrase it that way. He routinely caveats when he isn’t certain about things or thinks Disney has left itself room to change its mind.

Nah. He just accepts what DVC said at the condo association, which seems to be a problem here.

We love having the option to add a 5th person in the studios…what is the concern?

VDH studios only sleep 4, same as Grand Cal, so I'm not sure what it matters.

Tom Bricker is not announcing what DVC has NOT announced publicly yet. They are not giving him insider info, doing so would be incredibly stupid. He is a third party with a very strong opinion that the Poly will join the existing condo association. He may be correct, he may be not correct. Speculation. However, his point about Poly 2 being incredibly competitive (if the same association) makes a good point….for a separate condo association.

And I am going to play devils advocate here. They did say the plan was to add to PVB. But they did not, and will not confirm that means that all PvB current points will have access to the tower, especially at 11 months.

At one point, I thought that was all that could happen until I read the POs for PVB which does allow them to throw a curveball.

The annoument did not say things will be status quo so lots of assumptions it will work just like PVB points. While certainly a strong possibility, until we see DVd actually do it and sell it that way, without restrictions, and with current PVB points given priority, I’d take all with a grain of salt.

So, here is a thought…what are others thoughts if the low incentives and now sales of CFW will be used to potentially change course with adding to PVB?

I could see being used to explain a change, if it were to happen?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter