Leftovers: What's your opinion?

when I was working most of our meals were planned around leftovers. on the weekends I would roast a turkey, do a roast beef or make a big batch of pasta sauce and meatballs, enchiladas or lasagnas-then freeze some but keep enough out for dinner the night I cooked it and at least a couple of lunches worth for dh and I (and dd once she had access to a microwave at school). during the following week we would be pulling items from the freezer that I had prepared on previous weekends. there are items that my family prefers eating the day after so it's routinely cooked one day with plans of eating it the next (stew, meatloaf-they prefer it cold on sandwiches, and my pasta and some other types of salads).

dh and have been dieting for several months so we tend to only make a 2 serving portion of any meal with no leftovers to tempt us, but even with that going on there are a few dishes we purposely make into double and triple batches (lamb stew, greek sloppy joes and bolivian pork) b/c they freeze and reheat easily-so they get frozen up into 2 serving containers for the evenings we know we won't get home early (to avoid the temptation of getting to-go on the way home).

I don't mind leftover mac and cheese, maybe spaghetti but that is about it. NEVER EVER chicken or turkey (the only "meats" we eat)- they just taste NASTY the next day.

Had some yummy leftover eggplant rollatini a little while ago. Last night was leftover "Santa Fe Chicken Bake."

I'm now making some vegetarian chili for tomorrow night.....enough to ensure leftovers.

We do eat left overs here - yesterday roasted whole chicken and today made chicken and noodles

Ham freezes well. One night pull it out, make a new starch and veggie and dinner is ready. Easy peasy.

And yes I agree with the PP above this choice of leftovers shows what a gluttony problem we have in North America. I could never justify throwing out perfectly good food when so many people are going without. It just seems so wrong.

In our house we don't like leftovers, it doesn't mean that we have a gluttony problem or waste extra food because I cook the right amount for our family and there is almost never any leftover by the time we finish dinner. The few things that they like as leftovers, I made extra and they eat. But if I know that nobody is going to eat leftover mashed potatoes, I just make the appropriate amount to begin with...no extra = no leftovers = no waste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter