Leaving ship

Garyjames220

DIS Veteran
hey. The day we leave the ship we don't have a flight until 6.30pm

Any ideas to what we could do that day as I don't really need to be at the airport till 4pm

I would still have valid tickets with universal studios, however where could I put the cases and would I have long here

Any ideas please let me no

We always rented a car when leaving Port Canaveral (works out less expensive for us compared to Disney transfers) - so whenever we had a later flight, we would use that time to go to NASA, the parks, Disney Springs. The luggage just stays in the car. NASA is the easiest post-cruise option, as it is nearby, and you really don't need a full day there.

We always rented a car when leaving Port Canaveral (works out less expensive for us compared to Disney transfers) - so whenever we had a later flight, we would use that time to go to NASA, the parks, Disney Springs. The luggage just stays in the car. NASA is the easiest post-cruise option, as it is nearby, and you really don't need a full day there.

Any advice for if your not renting a car though ?

You could try and find a hotel close to universal that might offer a day room to put your luggage in.
My son and his wife were lucky on there honeymoon in 2017, they disembarked in San Diego and The Grand Hyatt held there luggage for the day without a charge. They had stayed at another Hyatt before the cruise, I don't know if that was why they offered the courtesy.
Maybe you can see if there is a hotel on Universal property willing to do that for you for a few hours, doesn't hurt to ask.

When we've flown out of MCO we usually get there about 3-4 hrs before our flight. SW has taken our luggage for us, last time we did this was March 2018.

MCO is always a nightmare. And now there are multiple reports of TSA agents taking "sick days" because of the shutdown - so far I've not seen MCO reports, but multiple reports say it will likely only get worse and spread - which has the potential to lead to much longer lines for security. Something to consider if this drags on.

MCO is always a nightmare. And now there are multiple reports of TSA agents taking "sick days" because of the shutdown - so far I've not seen MCO reports, but multiple reports say it will likely only get worse and spread - which has the potential to lead to much longer lines for security. Something to consider if this drags on.

Thanks for that info!!! We fly out next Frid for our Fantasy cruise. Our flight home doesn't leave until 3pm, we always go straight to MCO after leaving PC so we have plenty of time. We were in security line for over an hour after our last cruise. I'll prepare myself and dd for an even longer wait this time. As long as my dd has a Warrior book to read, she won't care how long the line is☺

Thanks for that info!!! We fly out next Frid for our Fantasy cruise. Our flight home doesn't leave until 3pm, we always go straight to MCO after leaving PC so we have plenty of time. We were in security line for over an hour after our last cruise. I'll prepare myself and dd for an even longer wait this time. As long as my dd has a Warrior book to read, she won't care how long the line is☺

You're welcome. I'm flying home in 2 weeks for the long weekend - I was going to head to JFK right after school anyway (I do have pre-check) though it's an 8pm flight, but now I 100% will.

Apparently they are adjusting by a) reducing random pat-downs; b) increasing the number of people randomly getting pre-check; and c) reducing the number of standard screening lines.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/shutdown-tsa-screening/index.html

Have a great trip!!

I would still have valid tickets with universal studios, however where could I put the cases and would I have long here

I would rent a car, making sure it had an actual trunk, and leave the luggage in there while going to Universal.

Any other option is going to take TIME, and that’s precious with needing to be back at the airport around 4.

i take it I can’t check my cases in at the airport at like 9am ?

Nope.

Only way you could basically do that is if you qualified for onboard airline checkin (qualifying flight and airline and taking Disney transport to airport), got to the airport, then went from there. But that takes time from your plans.

So is the best advice to see if a hotel near by will take our cases

Honestly I would be shocked if a hotel would take cases for someone not registered to stay there. WAY too much of a safety risk IMHO.

Your best bet is probably the Day Room at the MCO Hyatt.

You're welcome. I'm flying home in 2 weeks for the long weekend - I was going to head to JFK right after school anyway (I do have pre-check) though it's an 8pm flight, but now I 100% will.

Apparently they are adjusting by a) reducing random pat-downs; b) increasing the number of people randomly getting pre-check; and c) reducing the number of standard screening lines.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/shutdown-tsa-screening/index.html

Have a great trip!!

Hopefully your wait at the airport won't be too much of a nightmare. We're lucky that we fly out of Columbus, Ohio on the first flight of the day. Since the airport isn't a major one, we've never had to spend more than 20-30 mins in the security line. I think we'll get there even earlier though just in case, we'll see if I do that when my alarm goes off at 3am, lol!

OP, I would also just get a day room at the Hyatt if I were you. Unfortunately, unless you have a car you're going to be stuck with your luggage. We usually have a 3pm flight home. We just go to the airport, have lunch, and hang out. It is really boring, but it's not enough time for us to get a day room. I think most people just use the hotel's pool when they get the day room.

So is the best advice to see if a hotel near by will take our cases
No hotel is going to take your luggage for you if you are not a guest. (I'm not saying that someone might successfully sneak luggage into a bell-hop room; however, they won't be telling them that they never stayed at the hotel.) Don't understand why you just don't rent a car. Then you can go anywhere you want and keep the luggage in the car. If you've got a large group and a lot of luggage, rent a van. You'll save the money on the transfers from the port to the airport. A rental car will be MUCH cheaper than paying for the port to airport transfers and a day room at the airport.

Not everyone want to drive in an unfamiliar location. Especially if you have to do it in country that's not the one you typically drive in.

And not everyone wants to drive period. Some of us from urban areas with good public transportation don't drive at all.

And not everyone wants to drive period. Some of us from urban areas with good public transportation don't drive at all.

I've always lived in small towns with no public transportation. I don't think I've ever been in a taxi before and have only ridden on a subway once in my life, was scared I was going to be so lost. I hear people on here talk about using Lyft and Uber and I'm totally clueless about how to even do it!! Even though I've always had a car and drive everywhere I need to go, I admit, I wouldn't want to rent a car either, I'd probably get lost.

Depending on your airline you could do on board check in. We fly Alaska airlines it was great set luggage out in the hall and saw it next in Seattle. Our flight left around 6pm and we did a day room at the Hyatt at MCO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter