• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

LAX vs SNA

One of my goals in life is to teach people to use “non-stop” vs. “direct.” A direct flight could involve a stop and/or a change of planes.

Yes, my life is rather empty and friendless. I can’t imagine why. :charac2:

oy vey... every time I think I've made up my mind, I read another horror story LOL Think I'll just flip a coin at this point!

Here's a non-horror story. I flew into LAX 2 weeks ago. This was my 2nd time to fly into LAX, both times were chosen for the nonstop flight option.

This time it was just me with my 6 year old daughter, 16 year old son and his friend. Getting to baggage claim took a little longer than I was used to, but that was no big deal. (My preferred airport is Long Beach.) There weren't tons of people heading to baggage claim or waiting around. It was very calm and quiet for us. Zero crowds. I had
arranged for a shuttle pick up with MidWilShuttle ahead of time. I was directed to text them when I arrived and let them know what "column number" I was standing next to on the little island outside, across from baggage claim. There were no other people standing near us -- closest was at least 30 feet away. Shuttle arrived 5 minutes later and we were off. Pulled away from the curb at 2:14pm and arrived at our hotel on Harbor Blvd at 3:07pm.

I have no experience flying out of LAX, and at this point I wouldn't choose to do so. Both times I flew into LAX were good experiences, with no issues whatsoever, and I wouldn't hesitate to fly in again.

One of my goals in life is to teach people to use “non-stop” vs. “direct.” A direct flight could involve a stop and/or a change of planes.

Yes, my life is rather empty and friendless. I can’t imagine why. :charac2:

I've given up trying to do this and just correct them in my head. I think but true direct flights aren't that common outside of probably southwest, most people don't realize/understand there's even a difference. But I also dont understand why non stop stopped getting used when that's what it is. Seems like it's been happening more the last few years.

Here's a non-horror story. I flew into LAX 2 weeks ago. This was my 2nd time to fly into LAX, both times were chosen for the nonstop flight option.

This time it was just me with my 6 year old daughter, 16 year old son and his friend. Getting to baggage claim took a little longer than I was used to, but that was no big deal. (My preferred airport is Long Beach.) There weren't tons of people heading to baggage claim or waiting around. It was very calm and quiet for us. Zero crowds. I had
arranged for a shuttle pick up with MidWilShuttle ahead of time. I was directed to text them when I arrived and let them know what "column number" I was standing next to on the little island outside, across from baggage claim. There were no other people standing near us -- closest was at least 30 feet away. Shuttle arrived 5 minutes later and we were off. Pulled away from the curb at 2:14pm and arrived at our hotel on Harbor Blvd at 3:07pm.

I have no experience flying out of LAX, and at this point I wouldn't choose to do so. Both times I flew into LAX were good experiences, with no issues whatsoever, and I wouldn't hesitate to fly in again.
Thank you so much...this is very helpful. I am leaning towards flying into LAX but out of SNA. I wish I was Dorothy and could just click my heels, and away I go...!!

Thank you so much...this is very helpful. I am leaning towards flying into LAX but out of SNA. I wish I was Dorothy and could just click my heels, and away I go...!!

I mentioned people smoking pot and the general busy outer island of LAX in my Friday night anecdote, but I'd still 100% book LAX for your itinerary and situation. Hire your shuttle/rent your car, get the bags loaded, and keep the kids inside until the very last minute. I agree with the SNA outbound option. Go book!

I mentioned people smoking pot and the general busy outer island of LAX in my Friday night anecdote, but I'd still 100% book LAX for your itinerary and situation. Hire your shuttle/rent your car, get the bags loaded, and keep the kids inside until the very last minute. I agree with the SNA outbound option. Go book!
Thank you!

Using LAX for late/red-eye flights has been a headache lately because the construction of the new People Mover has traffic at the far side of the U down to just one or two lanes overnight. It backs everything up, especially if you’re flying out of Tom Bradley or Terminal 5 and there is no shortcut to get there. Flying in and out during normal daytime hours hasn’t seemed any more of a hassle than usual.

ETA: I think the anecdotes from @PirateBrigade and @deejdigsdis illustrate this pretty well :)

We live in Calgary and have always a similar direct-to-LAX vs connect to SNA choice. After getting spending 30 min in a rental car shuttle at LAX in traffic with two kids stressing about when the traffic was going to move, and then going through security to an area with no reasonable breakfast choices we fly home from SNA now, accepting a connection in either Vancouver or Seattle.

IMO arriving in LAX isnt that bad - it isn't far to the LAX IT lot for Lyft and we have never had an issue getting a car to take us. Departing from LAX I hate, and avoid if possible.

Two other notes - you mentioned the non stop is Westjet and you're planning carry on only. They board by zones starting with elites/premium, but then from the back of the plane. So if you select seats toward the back you'll be in an earlier zone and are very likely to not need to gate check.

Also, (and very excitingly for me) Westjet now flies Calgary-SNA a few days a week. So that may be an option depending on your dates as well.

Haven't read all the replies, but just did SNA (Air Canada flight) for the first time, and man, it was awesome! I did Kamloops/Vancouver/SNA, and my sister and family did Calgary/Vancouver/SNA.
We used MidWilShuttle for the 9 of us, the rate was $150 each way, and they had the boosters and car seat already in the shuttle each time. and arrived minutes after I confirmed which number of pillar we were at.
Departure was easy as well, our shuttle picked up promptly at 11:15am for our 1:50pm flight and we were there in loads of time. Security and boarding etc were super easy.
I will be seeking this option in the future rather than LAX for sure.

Thank you for this!!! Honestly, I've become so stressed out about the whole thing.
My preference is generally SNA, but I’ve never had any trouble flying in to LAX. Please don’t stress. Either way is absolutely doable!

We live in Calgary and have always a similar direct-to-LAX vs connect to SNA choice. After getting spending 30 min in a rental car shuttle at LAX in traffic with two kids stressing about when the traffic was going to move, and then going through security to an area with no reasonable breakfast choices we fly home from SNA now, accepting a connection in either Vancouver or Seattle.

IMO arriving in LAX isnt that bad - it isn't far to the LAX IT lot for Lyft and we have never had an issue getting a car to take us. Departing from LAX I hate, and avoid if possible.

Two other notes - you mentioned the non stop is Westjet and you're planning carry on only. They board by zones starting with elites/premium, but then from the back of the plane. So if you select seats toward the back you'll be in an earlier zone and are very likely to not need to gate check.

Also, (and very excitingly for me) Westjet now flies Calgary-SNA a few days a week. So that may be an option depending on your dates as well.
I will have to check out the SNA-Calgary option! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter