LAX vs SNA

The airline has changed all flight options into SNA. It would now take us 20 hours to complete. As much as I hate the thought of a big, disorganized airport, 3.75 hours vs 20 hours is a no-brainer. We are doing carry-on only so won't get caught up in baggage claim, and not renting a car - will hire a care service. So the $ saved on the fare will cover the car service.

It’ll be ok! And I still feel like you have a much less likely chance of your flight getting cancelled into LAX…. These airlines seem to be randomly ending routes into regional airports all across the country. We flew United twice this summer without status and were able to carry on two bags, so it’s not all doom and gloom. Let’s manifest some positivity and good flying vibes!

Have a fantastic trip!

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure they are also force checking carry-ons to save time boarding, or in anticipation the bins may fill up with soft totes and duffels etc. On a flight home in June, they basically forced everyone who did not have a priority boarding pass to check their roller bags. They claimed the bins were "now full". They were gate checking to final destination, but we had a fairly tight connection and the first flight was delayed and it didn't look like we would make our connection and I was displeased that we were going to be stuck overnight somewhere without our carry ons. I was pretty sure from watching the boarding that there were no way the bins were full yet-- but although I was the first in line after priority boarding, they forced DD and I to check our carry ons (and then everyone behind us with any type of roller bag). We got on the plane and well over half the bins were still empty. I was really mad. The bin right next to us was still empty enough to have fit both our roller bags when it was shut and our flight took off. Luckily, we did make our connection.

I will say that we have flown a few times this summer and the only time we had an issue and didn't get home the day we were supposed to, was when we had a direct flight with no connections. Got a text in the very early morning hours that our evening flight (over 12 hour later) was cancelled. Same thing has happened to multiple friends of ours trying to get home in the last 2 months on the direct flights to our home airport with 2 different airlines. The direct flights from our home airports to places like NYC or MCO often use a smaller plane and for some reason those seem like they have been cancelled more often. Also, typically the direct flight goes just fine out there--- it is the coming back from the bigger airport on that direct flight which we have seen issues with here. It just all boils down to luck right now-- connection or no connection.
I think you've hit the nail on the head... "...boils down to luck right now." I can get a direct flight through a nightmare of an airport, or travel to a better airport, but accept all the risks of a connecting flights.

As for the carry-on story...that would make my blood boil! Although I can understand where the airlines are coming from. I've been on way too many flights where people have pushed the carry-on allowance well beyond the limits. Literally, someone with a roll-on, a large bag full of shopping, a camera bag and then a purse and coat, all going in the overhead bin. I can't think of how many times my roll-on has had to be taken from me and put in a bin either further up in the plane, or all the way in the back. If they would just enforce the "one piece of carry-on" rule at check-in, there wouldn't be a problem.

It’ll be ok! And I still feel like you have a much less likely chance of your flight getting cancelled into LAX…. These airlines seem to be randomly ending routes into regional airports all across the country. We flew United twice this summer without status and were able to carry on two bags, so it’s not all doom and gloom. Let’s manifest some positivity and good flying vibes!

Have a fantastic trip!
Thank you for this!!! Honestly, I've become so stressed out about the whole thing.

As for the carry-on story...that would make my blood boil! Although I can understand where the airlines are coming from. I've been on way too many flights where people have pushed the carry-on allowance well beyond the limits. Literally, someone with a roll-on, a large bag full of shopping, a camera bag and then a purse and coat, all going in the overhead bin. I can't think of how many times my roll-on has had to be taken from me and put in a bin either further up in the plane, or all the way in the back. If they would just enforce the "one piece of carry-on" rule at check-in, there wouldn't be a problem.

I've been at an airport where the gate agents did a quick assessment and then apparently offered free gate checking well before boarding started. Only I didn't get the message, another passenger mentioned it as I was about to board, but when I got to the gate the agent said that there were so many volunteers that I didn't need to gate check. Go fig.

Thank you for this!!! Honestly, I've become so stressed out about the whole thing.

Lol, LAX really isn't that bad, it's not all that different than any large airport. It wouldn't take much for me to fly there over SNA. I would probably pay more to fly nonstop to LAX over taking a connection to SNA personally, just because I really don't like connections.

I've been at an airport where the gate agents did a quick assessment and then apparently offered free gate checking well before boarding started. Only I didn't get the message, another passenger mentioned it as I was about to board, but when I got to the gate the agent said that there were so many volunteers that I didn't need to gate check. Go fig.

I'll do this if I want to avoid a bag check fee, "carry it on" and expect gate staff to take volunteers for free bag check. Once it's tagged, I reach into my backpack for my smaller go-to bag, and voila.... I have two carry-ons again!

Have you looked into booking 2 one way flights, arriving at LAX and returning out of SNA?

Honestly, I've become so stressed out about the whole thing.
It is easier said than done, but you shouldn't stress even if you fly into LAX. My DW, DD and DS flew into LAX this month. It was busy, but it is a major international airport. Of course, its going to be busy. But, we managed it as a family just fine and I think you will too. I actually didn't find the drive time between LAX and DLR too bad. Maybe we just caught traffic at the right time? Who knows?

It is easier said than done, but you shouldn't stress even if you fly into LAX. My DW, DD and DS flew into LAX this month. It was busy, but it is a major international airport. Of course, its going to be busy. But, we managed it as a family just fine and I think you will too. I actually didn't find the drive time between LAX and DLR too bad. Maybe we just caught traffic at the right time? Who knows?
I actually don't know why I'm stressed about it! I've travelled a fair bit, through European airports like Heathrow, but when I have 2 grand daughters in tow, I really don't want to mess this up.

I actually don't know why I'm stressed about it! I've travelled a fair bit, through European airports like Heathrow, but when I have 2 grand daughters in tow, I really don't want to mess this up.
I completely understand where you are coming from. I wanted to add that it appears from your signature that you have many WDW visits and that this may be a first DLR visit for you. This month's trip to DLR was my first visit to DLR and I have around8 visits to WDW in my lifetime. I really enjoyed and appreciated my time at DLR. The historical nature of it, the intimacy of the parks, the kinetic energy. I just do not have a great memory of so many characters being out and about in WDW parks like they were in DL or DCA. My family saw Mary Poppins and Bert, Pooh, Eeyore, Kanga and Roo (!), R2-D2, Chewbacca, Rey, Red (PoTC), Peter Pan, Spiderman, Thor, Wanda, Black Widow, Lightning McQueen, another unknown Car from Cars, Mr. Incredible, Frozone, Joy, and others that escape me. They were just walking and I told my wife that I couldn't believe these characters just walk through. Oh, even Tiana was riding Mark Twain with my family. I'm like what the heck is Tiana doing here. :) But it was really neat to see. Maybe things have changed at WDW but I just don't recall seeing as many characters just bopping around the parks.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I wanted to add that it appears from your signature that you have many WDW visits and that this may be a first DLR visit for you. This month's trip to DLR was my first visit to DLR and I have around8 visits to WDW in my lifetime. I really enjoyed and appreciated my time at DLR. The historical nature of it, the intimacy of the parks, the kinetic energy. I just do not have a great memory of so many characters being out and about in WDW parks like they were in DL or DCA. My family saw Mary Poppins and Bert, Pooh, Eeyore, Kanga and Roo (!), R2-D2, Chewbacca, Rey, Red (PoTC), Peter Pan, Spiderman, Thor, Wanda, Black Widow, Lightning McQueen, another unknown Car from Cars, Mr. Incredible, Frozone, Joy, and others that escape me. They were just walking and I told my wife that I couldn't believe these characters just walk through. Oh, even Tiana was riding Mark Twain with my family. I'm like what the heck is Tiana doing here. :) But it was really neat to see. Maybe things have changed at WDW but I just don't recall seeing as many characters just bopping around the parks.
Oh, that sounds wonderful!!! My 11 year old granddaughter has many memories of WDW but nothing like what you experienced at DL. My 4 year old granddaughter is obsessed with Minnie Mouse and will go crazy if she gets to meet/interact with her. They don't know they're going yet - it's going to be a "reveal the morning of" type of thing.

My 4 year old granddaughter is obsessed with Minnie Mouse
I don't recall seeing Minnie walking around. But...there is a breakfast at the Plaza Inn where she and Daisy were walking around. I think (???) we saw Tigger walking around too. It was hard to see as he was in a corner area and I didn't have a good look.

Lol, LAX really isn't that bad, it's not all that different than any large airport. It wouldn't take much for me to fly there over SNA. I would probably pay more to fly nonstop to LAX over taking a connection to SNA personally, just because I really don't like connections.
Agreed. Of course, with all my family in a small city in NW Indiana, I grew up flying through O'Hare, so most airports don't phase me! But I've heard so much ragging on LAX and it's really not that bad. In fact, I'd say it's better than a lot of large airports (Sea-Tac, I'm looking at you)

I'll do this if I want to avoid a bag check fee, "carry it on" and expect gate staff to take volunteers for free bag check. Once it's tagged, I reach into my backpack for my smaller go-to bag, and voila.... I have two carry-ons again!
Every time. Sometimes I even go up and ask if they're going to need volunteers! Of course, our last Disney trip I didn't want to have to wait for baggage so when they asked for volunteers I kept my mouth shut and prayed enough other people would volunteer. Thankfully it worked.

Oh, that sounds wonderful!!! My 11 year old granddaughter has many memories of WDW but nothing like what you experienced at DL. My 4 year old granddaughter is obsessed with Minnie Mouse and will go crazy if she gets to meet/interact with her. They don't know they're going yet - it's going to be a "reveal the morning of" type of thing.
Minnie doesn't walk around like some of the other characters do, but there will be a designated place she will stand you can line up to meet her and take a photo. When we were there in July 2022 the location was on main street down near the railroad station. They might have been in front of Great Moments with Mr Lincoln, actually.

Another option for seeing Minnie is to get reservations for one of the character breakfasts, as @Obi-J Kenobi mentioned. The Plaza Inn breakfast is titled "Minnie & Friends - Breakfast in the Park." We did this one in Nov 2018 and at that time you met Minnie when you checked in. She was stationary, just at the check in location, but we got to interact with her and take a few photos. Once seated, many characters came around to the table - Fairy God Mother, Captain Hook, Eeyore, Tigger, Rafiki, Max, Chip and Dale...I think there may have even been 1 or 2 more that I'm forgetting! I've heard that FGM has been replaced by Daisy right now as they're not having face characters at breakfast currently.

Another option is the character breakfast at Story Teller's Cafe, which is at the Grand Californian. There is no specific meet and greet at check in like at Plaza Inn, but typically Minnie, Mickey, Chip & Dale come around to the tables throughout the meal. We preferred the food at Story Teller's, and the fact that it isn't in a park means you don't need a park reservation/ticket for that day, so you could do it on your departure day and not use up any park time.

With Plaza Inn, we did ours on a day that Early Magic Hour existed but we didn't have tickets for so that we weren't using valuable park time. We did our breakfast at 7, and the park opened to everyone at 8. We were able to get in and have breakfast, meet all the characters, and still be on a ride by 8:30. If I were doing it now, I would set it for the latest breakfast option they have and make it a late-morning/midday break.

I just want to say this:

It's not so much flying INTO LAX that is a hassle, it's flying OUT of LAX. So, if you can do SNA at least for your return trip, you will be far better off.

Arriving to LAX requires so much lead time due to traffic patterns to and around the airport and their TSA checkpoints are always very long waits. You'd have to leave your Anaheim hotel at least 3 hours ahead of your flight, if not 4, just to have the peace of mind that you won't miss your flight. Leaving from SNA, you can literally leave your hotel an hour before your flight if you aren't checking bags and you will still have to wait around at the gate. It's that efficient and small. It will take you 20-30 minutes to get to SNA from Disneyland, pretty much anytime of day.

So I landed at LAX on Friday night and was on the T1 outer curb at about midnight waiting for our Uber Black.

That place was a ZOO, just lots of people, and little island space (the inner curb was roomier). Had to muscle my way and get picked up in-lanes in between two potheads smoking to my left (I'm pro legalized usage FYI) and a handful of travelers to my right.

Made the comment to my wife that if we had the kids + a mountain of luggage (car seats/etc...), this would not be a viable or happy place to be. And this is with commercial livery/black car pick-up. Lord knows what the alternatives would have yielded, though in the past when we only had one kid, I would go ahead and get the rental car/install car seat, then drive back to the terminal and pick them up (easily wasting 45 mins or so).

Agreed. Of course, with all my family in a small city in NW Indiana, I grew up flying through O'Hare, so most airports don't phase me! But I've heard so much ragging on LAX and it's really not that bad. In fact, I'd say it's better than a lot of large airports (Sea-Tac, I'm looking at you)

Every time. Sometimes I even go up and ask if they're going to need volunteers! Of course, our last Disney trip I didn't want to have to wait for baggage so when they asked for volunteers I kept my mouth shut and prayed enough other people would volunteer. Thankfully it worked.

Minnie doesn't walk around like some of the other characters do, but there will be a designated place she will stand you can line up to meet her and take a photo. When we were there in July 2022 the location was on main street down near the railroad station. They might have been in front of Great Moments with Mr Lincoln, actually.

Another option for seeing Minnie is to get reservations for one of the character breakfasts, as @Obi-J Kenobi mentioned. The Plaza Inn breakfast is titled "Minnie & Friends - Breakfast in the Park." We did this one in Nov 2018 and at that time you met Minnie when you checked in. She was stationary, just at the check in location, but we got to interact with her and take a few photos. Once seated, many characters came around to the table - Fairy God Mother, Captain Hook, Eeyore, Tigger, Rafiki, Max, Chip and Dale...I think there may have even been 1 or 2 more that I'm forgetting! I've heard that FGM has been replaced by Daisy right now as they're not having face characters at breakfast currently.

Another option is the character breakfast at Story Teller's Cafe, which is at the Grand Californian. There is no specific meet and greet at check in like at Plaza Inn, but typically Minnie, Mickey, Chip & Dale come around to the tables throughout the meal. We preferred the food at Story Teller's, and the fact that it isn't in a park means you don't need a park reservation/ticket for that day, so you could do it on your departure day and not use up any park time.

With Plaza Inn, we did ours on a day that Early Magic Hour existed but we didn't have tickets for so that we weren't using valuable park time. We did our breakfast at 7, and the park opened to everyone at 8. We were able to get in and have breakfast, meet all the characters, and still be on a ride by 8:30. If I were doing it now, I would set it for the latest breakfast option they have and make it a late-morning/midday break.
Thank you for the info on MInnie! We will definitely try a character breakfast at the Plaza, although I've read they are hard to get. Storytellers will be option #2.

I just want to say this:

It's not so much flying INTO LAX that is a hassle, it's flying OUT of LAX. So, if you can do SNA at least for your return trip, you will be far better off.

Arriving to LAX requires so much lead time due to traffic patterns to and around the airport and their TSA checkpoints are always very long waits. You'd have to leave your Anaheim hotel at least 3 hours ahead of your flight, if not 4, just to have the peace of mind that you won't miss your flight. Leaving from SNA, you can literally leave your hotel an hour before your flight if you aren't checking bags and you will still have to wait around at the gate. It's that efficient and small. It will take you 20-30 minutes to get to SNA from Disneyland, pretty much anytime of day.
I do like the sound of SNA! I am already leaning this way - into LAX, and out of SNA. Although we are on an international flight, so more time would be needed for SNA than an hour from hotel to airport. However, I'm figuring substantially less time than I'd need for LAX.

So I landed at LAX on Friday night and was on the T1 outer curb at about midnight waiting for our Uber Black.

That place was a ZOO, just lots of people, and little island space (the inner curb was roomier). Had to muscle my way and get picked up in-lanes in between two potheads smoking to my left (I'm pro legalized usage FYI) and a handful of travelers to my right.

Made the comment to my wife that if we had the kids + a mountain of luggage (car seats/etc...), this would not be a viable or happy place to be. And this is with commercial livery/black car pick-up. Lord knows what the alternatives would have yielded, though in the past when we only had one kid, I would go ahead and get the rental car/install car seat, then drive back to the terminal and pick them up (easily wasting 45 mins or so).
oy vey... every time I think I've made up my mind, I read another horror story LOL Think I'll just flip a coin at this point!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter