• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last Trip? It was until we met Food & Wine -- Recap 2/12

Sorry to hear about your mom Kathy. Big prayers heading your way and I hope she can just be peaceful and not in pain

Thanks, Phil.

Sorry to hear of the news on your mom. Will continue to send prayers for you and your family.

Thanks, Linda.

Looks like you had a wonderful first evening! Hurray for not letting a little rain stop you. That drink looked lovely!! I would've had 2 too! :rotfl: But then I would've been sound asleep under the nearest table. :blush:

I feel that way when I've had more than one Turtle Krawl (those puppies are strong!).

How was the music with the fireworks? They really looked wonderful.

The soundtrack was awesome; I really, really enjoyed them.

Yay for a Dismeet!! Very nice of her to bring you a surprise gift.

It was a great DISmeet.

I am so sorry to hear this update. Sending good thoughts to you and yours. Please take care.

Thank you very much.

Kathy, I still have not gotten completely caught up with your report. It just moves so quickly with dozens of comments, and I end up getting lost somewhere and have no idea where to pick back up. :faint:

Just do what I do...skip the comments. :lmao:

I do want to let you know that I am praying for you and for your mom. I am extremely close to my mom, so I cannot imagine the loss. When mine suffered breast cancer 15 years ago, I just remember the waves of grief and fear that would take over me. I am praying for you, my friend. :flower3:

Thank you, Connie. I appreciate it. That is how I felt with my dad.

Oh Kathy :hug: I am so sorry to hear this. I continue to send thoughts and prayers to your family at this difficult time. :blush:

Thanks, Casey.

Kathy I am so sorry. May she be comfortable and pain free :hug:

Thanks, Pat.

Kathy, I will keep you and your mom in my prayers.

Thank you very much.

Kathy, I'm so sorry. Wishing you strength during this difficult time.

Thanks, Casey.

Kathy, I am so very sorry to hear about your mom. Praying for your family at this difficult time.

Claire, thank you my old friend.

Claire (who lurks on your TRs but never posts, LOL)

And why don't you? We've known each other for years silly.

Oh my god, that BATHROOM is gorgeous! I knew the 1-Bedroom Villas were nice, but holy crap! I might just have to look into renting DVC points one of these days!

If I was rich, I'd stay there ALL of the time. Heck I'd buy my own points.

That PinaColada looks wonderful! That's one of my favorite cocktails, too! :cloud9:

Yep...me too. Love my pina coladas, my mai tai's and my slushies.

Your fireworks photos turned out wonderful!!! So pretty! I was surprised how much I liked the Frozen fireworks, and am glad I decided to see them in September.

I wasn't sure what to expect, and they were great!

Looking forward to reading more when you have time! I know life is throwing a lot of stuff your way right now. Hang in there, girl. We love you. :hug:

Thanks, Billie.

Sending :hug: and prayers out to you and your Mom... You've been on my mind, even though I haven't posted. :grouphug:

D~

Thank you, D. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Kathy, so sorry ...praying for strength for you all at this difficult time. :hug: xoxo

Thanks, Janet.

So sorry about your mother. I've been reading along but not posting. Keeping you and your mother and family in my thoughts and prayers.

:welcome::welcome: So like Roz from Monsters, you are ALWAYS watching. :lmao: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers...I truly appreciate it.

I'm thinking of you today, Kathy. I don't know you on Facebook or IRL or else I'd send you some Disney Balloons since I know they have special significance for you. As it is, I googled a picture instead to spare myself a new life of internet stalking crime and a spot in jail and on the nightly news.

tumblr_n9j2jqlyho1sf7vl4o1_500.jpg

I hope the magic you and your family have spread over the years is a comforting memory and thought at this time. <3

Oh dear...now I'm crying again. I walked in the house last night and Markie and Alisha had sent me flowers and I burst into tears; and now you do this beautiful thing with the balloons. THANK YOU so very much. And if you want to be friends on FB, just send me a PM and I'll send you my screenname. I'd love to be friends on FB.

Kathy, I am so sorry about the news about your mom! Keeping you and all of your family in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Thanks, Karin...appreciate it more than you know.

THANK YOU all for the prayers, thoughts, hugs, etc. I probably did those responses too quickly. But I hope you all know how much I love you all and thank you from the bottom of my heart. However, I really want to do an update because I want to think happy thoughts right now and what better way than to do an update to our awesome trip.

First, a little update on mom. I saw her last night. I think my brother might have misunderstood the doctor. I think what the doctor was saying is "it could be three or four day" or it could be weeks. She is holding her own. The pain is not too bad and they have her on pain meds. She is on oxygen and other meds (blood pressure, diabetes, etc.). A hospice nurse comes in every day to help Bob with her meds, cleaning her, etc. I did ask the nurse about the cancer and why no chemo. Unfortunately, it is a very fast spreading cancer, it would not give her quality of life or prolong her life. The cancer has already spread to other parts of her body. So we will take it one day at a time and my main concern is we keep her as comfortable as possible.

So let's get on with an update, shall we?

Saturday, September 20 -- our first full day at the World. If you read my PTR, you know that we had a breakfast planned and then it was going to be a pool day until we had to get cleaned up for our dinner and then heading to the MK. Well, it didn't quite happen that way.

We got up and showered and walked to get our car and drove here:

We walked into the Poly, got depressed with no welcoming fountains...just walls. But we did stop for a picture here:

Believe it or not, my hair looked great when I left AKL for the Poly. That is the after effect of the humidity, rain, etc.

We walked to Kona and checked in for our breakfast and were brought in right away. We had a seat on the left side of the room...first time we've ever been on that side.

The first thing we ordered was coffee. Anyone who has followed me over the years knows that I must have my coffee in the morning. And when at Kona there is NO sharing with Mark, so we ordered two of these beauties:

Kona Pressed Pot Coffee...it can't be beat (not even by Starbucks, Andy)

We read over the menu although we both had a pretty good idea before hand what we would be having for breakfast.

Mark ended up with the Tonga Toast and bacon

He ate every last bite and LOVED it.

I had

I usually order an omelet here, but I really had a taste for french toast. And Kona has the BEST bacon anywhere in Disney. It's not that junk they have at buffets, etc.

Our waitress noticed it was our anniversary and brought us these

We were too stuffed to eat them so she boxed them up and we took them back to the room.

Our waitress also graciously offered to take a picture of us for our anniversary:

She insisted we do a kissing one too

After we settled up the bill and getting the rest of our Pressed Pot Coffee to go, we headed to the gift shop at the Poly (one of my favorite gift shops).

We stopped for a photo op along the way:

Love this little guy in the gift shop:

Some of the Halloween items

We ended up buying Mark two packages of socks because he miscounted and knew he had not brought enough...especially since I would not be doing laundry at our second resort.

So depressing as we left

We got in the car and drove to Jambo House to hit the gift shop there.

On our way into Jambo House

Continued in next post

Love your Kona Breakfast, anniversary cupcakes and all. Can't wait to hear what else you two were up to. :thumbsup2

As much as I love the Poly gift shop (and Panchitos at the Coronado), nothing beats the gift shop at the Animal Kingdom Lodge/Jambo

Mark got to work

This one is for you Danielle

I picked up two baby gifts while we were there and then we drove back to Kidani to see if the rain was going to let up.

I went to the patio to check out the action there:

It was still raining off and on, so Mark decided to rest in the room while I did a load of laundry of the wet clothes from the rain the night before.

I also took more photos in the room

MY bathtub

More animals outside

Come to me baby

Of course, the sun came out at some point, but Mark decided to just rest and go to the pool the next day.

Up next, a favorite restaurant and we get our ride on

I'm not sure I'll get to replies over the weekend. Markie and Alisha are on their way to our house. We are going to an Alumni Dinner for the high school wrestling team tomorrow night, of course Alisha and I will be shopping and going to see mom. If I don't get on here over the weekend, I hope everyone has a spectacular one.

I hope your mom continues to be comfortable during this time. :hug: to you and your family.

Breakfast looks so good! I refuse to see the Poly until its done...otherwise its too sad for me.

I love the giftshop at Jambo House! Best gift shop at the resort. You know I love the animals. :) That baby giraffe is a cutie!

Jill in CO

Love your Kona Breakfast, anniversary cupcakes and all. Can't wait to hear what else you two were up to. :thumbsup2

Thanks, Karin. It is our favorite (yes, even over Boma). I posted another update about the rest of our morning/afternoon.

I hope your mom continues to be comfortable during this time. :hug: to you and your family.

Thanks, Jill.

Breakfast looks so good! I refuse to see the Poly until its done...otherwise its too sad for me.

Seriously, I wish I'd listened and gone to Kona years before. It's not to be missed. I don't blame you...it really is sad.

I love the giftshop at Jambo House! Best gift shop at the resort. You know I love the animals. :) That baby giraffe is a cutie!

Jill in CO

Isnt' he/she though? I just love giraffes. And it is the BEST gift shop.

Wonderful trip update! Glad your mom is holding her own, and you may get more time with her than initially anticipated. :goodvibes These will be precious moments for all of you, and I pray you will be able to make the MOST of it!

Your breakfast looks DELICIOUS!!! And I will try one of those Kona pressed pots one of these days. They must be good, they sure are a thing of legend on the Disboards. :thumbsup2 Nice little anniversary treat, too. Love that she added umbrellas! :wizard:

All of the photos and comments about the construction at the Poly are so sad. It has always been such a gorgeous resort. I do hope when it gets all finished that it is even better than ever. I trust Disney can do that! :cloud9:

What is even better than our favorite animal, the giraffe? :confused3 Baby giraffe!!!!! Baby giraffes are SO STINKING CUTE!!!! :lovestruc

I'm not sure I'll get to replies over the weekend. Markie and Alisha are on their way to our house. We are going to an Alumni Dinner for the high school wrestling team tomorrow night, of course Alisha and I will be shopping and going to see mom. If I don't get on here over the weekend, I hope everyone has a spectacular one.

Kathy,
just finished getting caught up on your TR - will post a reply on the weekend, but wanted to quickly send along my best wishes for you all to have some wonderful family time together. So glad the kids will be here this weekend for you both. Hugs :flower3:

Oh Kathy, I would be remiss if I didn't pass along my deepest sorrow over your heartbreaking news. More prayers are going out especially for your mom's comfort. :hug: I hope the time shared will be special.

Oh yeah, that day actually started with rain. Boo.

OMG a morning without coffee is evening.

Aww anniversary cupcakes. You can't not love that. :cloud9:

Haha never tire of the hat pictures. Just awesome!

I usually just lurk on trip reports, but wanted to say hi! My fiancé and I were in Disney the same time as you were. I've never experienced so much rain there before, of course we didn't let it stop us. I'm looking forward to seeing your experiences as well. Also, thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Aww, I love the kissing picture more than even the silly hat pictures! (Though Malificent is a close second.)

I hope you have a lovely weekend!

The Poly is so sad but breakfast looks like it makes up for a little of that.

A nice relaxing morning/afternoon. Sometimes it is good to just rest. ::yes::

Nice touch with the cupcakes- I am sure it was a good snack for later.

Kathy - I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she gets the best of care.

We stopped at the Poly last month and it was such a mess. We ate lunch at Captain Cook's and I could see that the pool area was all torn up. I'm sure that it will be lovely when it is finished, but right now it looks terrible. :worried:

Sorry, missed the second part yesterday, because I had gone to bed with a huge headache. :sad2:

Nothing better than some leisure time, especially after having some a lovely breakfast, a little window shopping and that amazing view in front of your room. Well done!

I'm so sorry to hear the latest news regarding your mom. I hope she's resting comfortably.

On our last trip, we worked in a breakfast and a dinner at Kona Cafe. I just love that place!

The construction at the Poly would depress me, too. I'm really curious to see how it turns out.

I'm so sorry to hear about the update on your mom. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. On a happier note... YUM! Kona! I love that place, tonga toast is my favourite! (I make it at home now!) very sweet of the waitress to bring you cupcakes too. I also love the Poly gift shop, but you hit the nail on the head --
As much as I love the Poly gift shop (and Panchitos at the Coronado), nothing beats the gift shop at the Animal Kingdom Lodge/Jambo .
I totally agree! Have a good weekend with your kids Kathy!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Continuing to keep your mom and your family in my thoughts.

:grouphug:

I could not agree with you more about coffee and about Kona.

The thing I obsess the most about when I am planning a vacation is the accessibility of coffee. Is there a coffee maker in the room? What kind? Should I bring my own coffee in case they run out?

I have finally solved the problem of not having a coffee maker in the room, or not wanting to run one and disturb my roommates- I stash an iced coffee in the mini fridge.

Kona is my favorite breakfast place at Disney! Glad you enjoyed your meal and what a great waitress you had!

The only good thing about the walls during construction are the very cute photo ops. At least it is something.

Once again beautiful pictures of your room and the view from your balcony.

Hope you have a decent weekend with family.

:goodvibes

Kathy, I am so sorry to hear about your mothers condition; I know what it's like to watch a mother fight this horrible battle with cancer. Even as I type this my mother is once again in the hospital with a severe case of pneumonia along with her long battle with cancer. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :hug:

We visited the Poly on our departure day back in June for our breakfast ADR at Ohana and was quit shocked how tore up the Poly looked. I know they have to refurb and etc., but wow if I would have been staying there and not known about it like so many first timers, I would not have been a happy camper. In fact, I would rather be a camper literally and sleep in a pup tent than what I saw. :lmao:

I agree with you when it comes to gift shops; the one at the Poly is very nice indeed, but I am always completely blown away with the gift shop found in the AKL. Not only is it very large, but it has so many unique items in it that cannot be found anywhere else.

Kathy, let me leave you with this from one of my favorite passages from the Bible found in Isaiah 40:31

"But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint".

First, a little update on mom. I saw her last night. I think my brother might have misunderstood the doctor. I think what the doctor was saying is "it could be three or four day" or it could be weeks. She is holding her own. The pain is not too bad and they have her on pain meds. She is on oxygen and other meds (blood pressure, diabetes, etc.). A hospice nurse comes in every day to help Bob with her meds, cleaning her, etc. I did ask the nurse about the cancer and why no chemo. Unfortunately, it is a very fast spreading cancer, it would not give her quality of life or prolong her life. The cancer has already spread to other parts of her body. So we will take it one day at a time and my main concern is we keep her as comfortable as possible.
Once again Kathy, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers! Comfortable is definitely the highest priority at this point! :hug:

We walked into the Poly, got depressed with no welcoming fountains...just walls. But we did stop for a picture here:
Because of course Ms. Kathy can't pass up an opportunity to get a picture with her favorite little blue guy....... :thumbsup2

The first thing we ordered was coffee. Anyone who has followed me over the years knows that I must have my coffee in the morning. And when at Kona there is NO sharing with Mark, so we ordered two of these beauties:

Kona Pressed Pot Coffee...it can't be beat (not even by Starbucks, Andy)
WHAT?!? YOU ordered coffee? :rolleyes1 And better than Starbucks??? :faint:

Mark ended up with the Tonga Toast and bacon

He ate every last bite and LOVED it.
I just :love: Kona breakfast.......so great! I had the Tonga Toast the first time, but sadly I wasn't that high on it. It was pretty good the first few bites, but honestly, it was just a little overwhelming with all the sweet. I liked it a little better using regular syrup instead of the syrup (strawberry?) that comes with it. Sometimes I think we hear so many people rave about food items on the DIS that when we finally try it, there is no way to meet the built up expectations in a lot of cases. Maybe I need to give it another try, but I still want to try the macadamia pancakes, and your French toast looks fantastic!

She insisted we do a kissing one too

Awwwww :goodvibes

So depressing as we left

Yes, it is painful to see such a beautiful place looking in such disarray right now! :sad1:

I just love the AK Resorts! How can you beat a place where you can look outside and see Giraffes and Zebras and Ostriches and all the other animals. And of course you got lots and lots of pictures of your favorites! :woohoo: All of the Lion King theming in the rooms is pretty cool too! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter