Last Trip? It was until we met Food & Wine -- Recap 2/12

Sorry, once again, to learn of your mom's status. Hoping she is kept comfortable.

Your photos of the Poly made me :sad: . But your Kona breakfast was really making me hungry. Oh my goodness everything looked so yummy!!

There is no better gift shop that Zawadi Marketplace!!! I could spend hours in there!

OK so that photo of Mark in that lion mane? made me bust out in laughter. That was great!

Relaxing and enjoying your animal shots from your balcony and around the resort. My favorite part of the Lodge.

And congrats on the Disney Passes!! What wonderful friends!

Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry about your mom. Praying for you both...

I've been so busy with work that I've only been checking Dis updates from my phone for the last week so I haven't posted responses.... yet.

I just love that you have special people in your life that are so generous. The villa rented at $5 per point - wow, so awesome, the adorable bracelet from Cynthia - that is the perfect gift. :) What a great meet up. Drinks, fireworks, and good times.

I had the same feeling at the Poly when we ate at Kona a few weeks ago.. so sad to not see any of the lobby but just those walls. It is so sad to not hear the fountain any longer.

The 1 bedroom Kidani villas have 2 bathrooms? That's awesome. A gal needs her own spa tub on vacation too. What a great way to relax after a long day.

Ok, I hope to stay caught up now. :hug:

Hey there and still hoping all is getting a bit easier. :hug:

You can feed giraffe's at Wisconsin Dells too! I had one eat off of Tom's head. Im going to have to find that picture...

you are making me FALL IN LOVE with AKL!!!

Poly.. I really do not know what to say.. just has me in TEARS. :sad2:

mmmmmmmmmmmm coffee.... I can go for a great cup of coffee this morning.

I hope you Mom is resting well.

We got up and showered and walked to get our car and drove here:

You drove into a palm tree? Hope the damage to the car wasn't too bad. :duck:

We walked into the Poly, got depressed with no welcoming fountains...just walls.
I couldn't even take any pictures in there... it was too depressing.

Believe it or not, my hair looked great when I left AKL for the Poly. That is the after effect of the humidity, rain, etc.
:rolleyes1

The first thing we ordered was coffee. Anyone who has followed me over the years knows that I must have my coffee in the morning. And when at Kona there is NO sharing with Mark, so we ordered two of these beauties:

You were smart ordering 2. Heck you should of ordered a 3rd at the end of breakfast to go.

Kona Pressed Pot Coffee...it can't be beat (not even by Starbucks, Andy)
Hummm.... wonder who told you NUMEROUS times to eat here. :confused3 :rolleyes1 popcorn::

Our waitress also graciously offered to take a picture of us for our anniversary:

Cute pic!

She insisted we do a kissing one too

KIDS, COVER YOUR EYES!!!!!

As much as I love the Poly gift shop (and Panchitos at the Coronado), nothing beats the gift shop at the Animal Kingdom Lodge/Jambo
You might of just mentioned the 3 best gift shops on property. :lmao:

Mark got to work
[/QUOTE]
Looks like a bad toupee. :rotfl2:

Come to me baby

What? No giraffe butt? :laughing:

Love the anniversary pictures of you and Mark at breakfast! So cute.

That Kona coffee is the BEST. SO good. :thumbsup2 Looks like you had an awesome breakfast.

I agree that the gift shop at AKL is the best one on property. So many treasures to be found.

I'll continue to pray for your mom, and your family. :hug:

That was SO SWEET of your friends to give you those Disney tickets! I would have been crying, too. Having true, good friends is one of life's joys.

Great update! If I wasn't spoiling my family with CL in December we would be all over Kona. We have only dined at dinner there. Maybe next trip we will eat there as I want to stay at the Poly in May for our SWW trip. I just love your pics of the AK and the animals. The tub looks like a dream after a long day of strolling the in the parks, the tile is just too cute!! Blessings again to you and your Mom, there are not words for what you all are going through, just know you have a lot of people praying and thinking of your family right now :goodvibes

For those of you not friends with me on Facebook, we went to an Alumni Dinner for the high school wrestling team where Markie went. One of the silent auction items was 4 one day hopper passes (value around $570.) for Disney World. Of course, Mark and I were bidding on them and had the high bid the last time we had looked. Then we were eating dinner and I guess a few people went over there and upped it in $5 increments and I kind of forgot about it as we were visiting with the people at our table.

I had set myself a limit, even knowing what they were worth, with some expenses that will fall in my lap when mom passes. Well, it turns out our dear friends (who we spent time with in Vegas in August and who we have known for about 17 years) were the last ones to bid. The final bid was $250 (I had planned on going up to $300). I did NOT know they were the final bidders until the announced who won the bids after dinner before the speeches started. They announced the Bears tickets (thank the Lord I didn't bid on them as they are terrible), the golf outing for four and then the Disney tickets. This is when we found out our friends had the highest bid. Then it was announced that the *Bal**** had won the auction, but were giving the tickets to their good friends, Kathy and Mark S******. Have you ever seen a big girl cry? Well, you would have if you had been there when I heard the news. We are so blessed to have these people in our lives. I spent the rest of the evening trying to get them to let me write them a check and they refused. I hope to get an update done tomorrow or Tuesday. Hope you all had a great weekend.

Now I'm bawling. :sad: Thanks for that. :goodvibes

I'm trying to decide on a restaurant for my final ADR in April. Kona has made the short list, even though it's going to pain me to see the Poly in such disarray. I know that there are so many fantastic restaurants to visit, decisions, decisions. :confused3

I hope your Mom is resting comfortable my dear. :hug:

Oh Kathy!!!! With all they you and Mark have been experiencing lately, that was such a WONDERFUL gift from your friends!!!! I would have cried, too!!! You are blessed, my friend! :goodvibes

Kathy, I am glad to hear that your mother is pain free for the most part and I pray that it continues that way. I know that one of our worst fears is seeing our loved ones suffer their last days with us on Earth.

How very sweet of your friends to win the tickets and then give them to you and Mark! With everything that you have been through, I am sure it feels wonderful to know that you are loved in such a way.

Mark and his hat pictures! The second one had me cracking up! :lmao:

Wow! There were a lot of animals out and about that morning! I know that you were in Heaven watching all those giraffes.

Sending you lots of hugs -- and wishing for peace and comfort for your Mom :flower3:

Ok, that's it...next trip we are heading straight for Kona for breakfast. That coffee looks delish, as does your food!! Seems like a pretty perfect way to start the day!! :goodvibes

What a wonderful thing for your friends to do! I would have cried too.

It really was. They are old and dear friends.

That is LOVELY news!

Thank you.

I am also slightly selfishly happy that this means more TRs! Hug your friends for me. :)

I will do that; we are having dinner with them Saturday night at a favorite place--CoopersHawk.

I hope you and your family are doing well today. Have a wonderful week! <3

You have a great week too.

Awww, you have the bestest friends!

Jill in CO

I sure do, Jill.

Sorry, once again, to learn of your mom's status. Hoping she is kept comfortable.

Thanks, Linda. She had a rough day on Saturday; yesterday was a bit better, but my brother says she hasn't gotten out of bed today at all.

Your photos of the Poly made me :sad: . But your Kona breakfast was really making me hungry. Oh my goodness everything looked so yummy!!

Breakfast was so very good.

There is no better gift shop that Zawadi Marketplace!!! I could spend hours in there!

Me too!

OK so that photo of Mark in that lion mane? made me bust out in laughter. That was great!

I told him it wasn't a hat; he said, "close enough." :rotfl:

Relaxing and enjoying your animal shots from your balcony and around the resort. My favorite part of the Lodge.

It truly is a relaxing way to spend a day.

And congrats on the Disney Passes!! What wonderful friends!

Yes they are!

Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry about your mom. Praying for you both...

Thank you, Brenda.

I've been so busy with work that I've only been checking Dis updates from my phone for the last week so I haven't posted responses.... yet.

Work and DL seem to be keeping you very busy.

I just love that you have special people in your life that are so generous. The villa rented at $5 per point - wow, so awesome, the adorable bracelet from Cynthia - that is the perfect gift. :) What a great meet up. Drinks, fireworks, and good times.

It was the perfect start of our vacation for sure.

I had the same feeling at the Poly when we ate at Kona a few weeks ago.. so sad to not see any of the lobby but just those walls. It is so sad to not hear the fountain any longer.

I'm upset the fountain is not coming back. :(

The 1 bedroom Kidani villas have 2 bathrooms? That's awesome. A gal needs her own spa tub on vacation too. What a great way to relax after a long day.

Yes they do; the bathroom in the "living area" is much smaller and why Mark gets it. :lmao::lmao:

Ok, I hope to stay caught up now. :hug:

You get here when you can, friend.

That is so nice of your your friends. What great people!

They really are!

Hey there and still hoping all is getting a bit easier. :hug:

The situation is the same right now.

You can feed giraffe's at Wisconsin Dells too! I had one eat off of Tom's head. Im going to have to find that picture...

Do you know that I have NEVER been to the Dells!

you are making me FALL IN LOVE with AKL!!!

It is not hard to do at all.

Poly.. I really do not know what to say.. just has me in TEARS. :sad2:

I know; it is so sad.

mmmmmmmmmmmm coffee.... I can go for a great cup of coffee this morning.

I could too; having a hard time staying awake today.

I hope you Mom is resting well.

Not a good day, but the nurse is there now.

You drove into a palm tree? Hope the damage to the car wasn't too bad. :duck:

Ahhhh...leave it to Tim to brighten my day. ;)

I couldn't even take any pictures in there... it was too depressing.

I really didn't want to, but those cut-outs were kind of cute.

:rolleyes1

Are you insinuating I am not telling the truth?

You were smart ordering 2. Heck you should of ordered a 3rd at the end of breakfast to go.

If we hadn't had enough to take out, I would have ordered a third.

Hummm.... wonder who told you NUMEROUS times to eat here. :confused3 :rolleyes1 popcorn::

Did you red the title of the chapter? I gave you credit.

Cute pic!

Thank you. :)

KIDS, COVER YOUR EYES!!!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao: It was G rated.

You might of just mentioned the 3 best gift shops on property. :lmao:

I suppose that would have been easier, but then you wouldn't have anything to give me grief about.

Mark got to work
Looks like a bad toupee. :rotfl2:

Yeah, it does. :rotfl:

What? No giraffe butt? :laughing:[/QUOTE]

I kept that one out this time.

What sweet friends!!! That was so very nice of them.

They amaze me!

Love the anniversary pictures of you and Mark at breakfast! So cute.

Thanks, Katie.

That Kona coffee is the BEST. SO good. :thumbsup2 Looks like you had an awesome breakfast.

I really need to get some for home it's so good.

I agree that the gift shop at AKL is the best one on property. So many treasures to be found.

And always something new too.

I'll continue to pray for your mom, and your family. :hug:

Thanks friend.

That was SO SWEET of your friends to give you those Disney tickets! I would have been crying, too. Having true, good friends is one of life's joys.

We have been very blessed with some awesome friends.

Great update! If I wasn't spoiling my family with CL in December we would be all over Kona. We have only dined at dinner there. Maybe next trip we will eat there as I want to stay at the Poly in May for our SWW trip. I just love your pics of the AK and the animals. The tub looks like a dream after a long day of strolling the in the parks, the tile is just too cute!! Blessings again to you and your Mom, there are not words for what you all are going through, just know you have a lot of people praying and thinking of your family right now :goodvibes

Thanks, Lori. You are spoiling them...CL, wow! I love dinner equally and I need to get Mark there. That tub is heaven after a long day at the parks. Thanks for the blessings and the prayers.

Now I'm bawling. :sad: Thanks for that. :goodvibes

Sheresa, I'm sorry. :rotfl:

I'm trying to decide on a restaurant for my final ADR in April. Kona has made the short list, even though it's going to pain me to see the Poly in such disarray. I know that there are so many fantastic restaurants to visit, decisions, decisions. :confused3

Is it for breakfast or dinner? I highly recommend it for both.

I hope your Mom is resting comfortable my dear. :hug:

It was a rough Saturday and I understand she's having a painful day today. I'll stop and see her on my way home from work.

Oh Kathy!!!! With all they you and Mark have been experiencing lately, that was such a WONDERFUL gift from your friends!!!! I would have cried, too!!! You are blessed, my friend! :goodvibes

Thanks, Connie. We truly are blessed with some very special, special friends who have been a part of our lives for many, many years. And we've been twice blessed with our friends here on the DIS.

Kathy, I am glad to hear that your mother is pain free for the most part and I pray that it continues that way. I know that one of our worst fears is seeing our loved ones suffer their last days with us on Earth.

She was, but unfortunately it is now getting a bit worse. They are hoping a change of meds will help.

How very sweet of your friends to win the tickets and then give them to you and Mark! With everything that you have been through, I am sure it feels wonderful to know that you are loved in such a way.

I had no idea he was bidding and what his intentions were. He and his wife are truly wonderful people (he does a lot for the wrestling program all year long).

Mark and his hat pictures! The second one had me cracking up! :lmao:

Sometimes I wonder about him.

Wow! There were a lot of animals out and about that morning! I know that you were in Heaven watching all those giraffes.

It was an animal filled three days. And I loved watching my giraffes.

Sending you lots of hugs -- and wishing for peace and comfort for your Mom :flower3:

Thanks, Julie.

Ok, that's it...next trip we are heading straight for Kona for breakfast. That coffee looks delish, as does your food!! Seems like a pretty perfect way to start the day!! :goodvibes

It really was. The coffee is outstanding and the food was great. You really need to go.

So after the rain spoiled our pool plans and resting in the room and just watching the animals, etc., it was time to get ready to start our drive to our ADR.

We got the car and drove here:

Old Key West is tied for AKL/Kidani as our favorite resort. And OKW has a hidden gem as far as restaurants:

We were having dinner here:

The menu

Of course, the first thing I ordered was

As Cynthia and MaryEllen and Jeanette would tell you, these are heaven in a glass. I was a good girl and only had one at my meal.

Mark ordered the Catch of the Day with Roasted Potatos (I can't remember what the fish was)

I had a bowl of French Onion Soup

And the Barbecued Pulled Pork Sandwich with chips (I'd had it in June and loved it and was wanting to have it again and it did not disappoint)

I was too full for dessert (plus I knew I'd be wanting popcorn later), but Mark went and ordered the Banana Bread Pudding Sundae served warm with Bananas Foster toppinig and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream:

He ate every last bite.

We settled the bill and walked back to the car to drive to

We parked the car and got on a tram. And we sat there. And we sat there. And we sat there. Seriously, how many times are you going to say "last call for boarding" and then wait for the people who think we all have all of the time in the world to get seated, fold up the stroller, etc. I'm not kidding....the CM called last boarding at least four times.

Finally we were on our way and we decided to take the Ferry Boat (no love for the monorail here...but spoiler alert...we will ride it later). While waiting for the Ferry Boat

I got a phone call while we were waiting that I forgot my TIW card at Olivia's. This is the first time I have ever done this. I explained we were boarding a boat for MK and they said I could pick it up the next morning and they'd keep it at the desk for me. Trust me, I did not make that mistake again.

Construction at the Poly

The new Poly DVC

On the Ferry boat

GF

Ferry Boat leaving the MK

Getting closer

Contemporary

Hello you beautiful castle

We disembarked and were through Bag Check very quickly. I do love all the Halloween decorations at the MK

As you can see from the previous picture, it was a tad crowded at 7:00 p.m. and it was EMH's. Would it thin out? And we have time until our first FP, so where do we go first.

After having eaten dinner at Olivia's (we looked around to see if you, Mary and the girls happened to be there), I agree that it is a hidden gem. It's one of the restaurants that we will definitely be going back to next trip.

Great update! I think I have to add Olivia's to our list of places to try.

The sun really came out nicely that evening! Glad the rain let up.

I am so annoyed for you about the last call thing. That happened to us when we went to AK. He called last call and people just kept coming and he called it again and we sat for 5 minutes. Last call means last call, people. Another one is coming in 30 seconds!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter