Last minute Aulani trip help

Smiling Cheshire Cat

DIS Veteran
First trip to Aulani for 4 nights 11/15-11/19, long story short, we are going to the Maui Invitational Basketball Tournament that was moved to Oahu. We were able to get a portion of our lodging money back so we decided to split our stay between Aulani and the Sheraton at Waikiki Beach since we are such Disney fans.

Could use some advice about what preplanning to do beforehand? We have the luau booked but were unable to get a reservation for the character breakfast. We want to travel to the Dole plantation during our Aulani time as well since our friends we are meeting up with at the Sheraton do not want to do this. Should we rent a car or Uber? Are other dining reservations at Aulani necessary or can we wing it?

Thanks for any advice!

Try to book a character breakfast when you arrive, there are often cancellations. I would also go to the restaurant every morning to ask.

First trip to Aulani for 4 nights 11/15-11/19, long story short, we are going to the Maui Invitational Basketball Tournament that was moved to Oahu. We were able to get a portion of our lodging money back so we decided to split our stay between Aulani and the Sheraton at Waikiki Beach since we are such Disney fans.

Could use some advice about what preplanning to do beforehand? We have the luau booked but were unable to get a reservation for the character breakfast. We want to travel to the Dole plantation during our Aulani time as well since our friends we are meeting up with at the Sheraton do not want to do this. Should we rent a car or Uber? Are other dining reservations at Aulani necessary or can we wing it?

Thanks for any advice!
I found character meals opens 30 days in advance

You will definitely want a car if traveling from aulani to dole plantation to Sheraton Waikiki. I’ve had a lot of success going early to makahiki and asking for walk in reservations.

Two amazing hotel choices. It was hard to leave the adult infinity pool at the Sheraton.

The poke nachos at Aulani were amazing.

Thanks for any advice!
Dole is a drive and is not worth more than a quick stop to see some of the pineapples growing near the store in the adjacent garden area and for Kitschy pineapple souvenirs and a dole whip (which you can get at Aulani) Don’t waste money on the miniature train ride or any tours - most folks report them boring, a waste of time and overpriced.

Instead make it a 45min pit stop tops and head to the North Shore from there to Haleiwa driving the island ring road eastward for more authentic smaller shops than on Waikiki, a variety of great food trucks, and pretty vistas across all of the beaches that dot the shore.

Stop for Turtle viewing at Lanikea, watch big wave surfing at Banzai and Sunset, and check out Waimea Bay beach and Waimea Valley across the street for a gorgeous tour of the lush greenery in the valley and a waterfall.

Eat at Beach House, Teds Bakery and Shave Ice places.

Dole is just not the best destination on that part of the island compared to the other things near it.

Definitely rent a car for this day if not another day to see the areas on the windward side like Kailua Beach and Lanikai Beach and the areas by Kaneohe including the sandbar, beaches and Kuoloa ranch if it’s your thing.

Last edited:

I 100% agree that the Dole plantation is not worth it. Visiting the North Shore and Haleiwa, along with Kailua and Lanikai Beach would be worth it.

Above all, I would visit Pearl Harbor, especially if you have teens. You may not be able to get tickets online at this point, but you can probably book with a tour company. Or you can just get lucky and get the boat to the monument. Even if you can't get the boat tour, you can still do the walking tour.

Thanks for any advice!
Wing it! I'll be honest, the character breakfast isn't worth it. You can see some Youtube reviews but my cousin went back in October (it was their first staycation) and was not impressed especially since it's no longer a buffet, but up to you regarding that. Place that you need to eat while at Aulani, Monkeypod. You can reserve a table on your phone so check ahead. We booked a table at 630 on 4th of July around 1PM. If you plan to do Dole, it's more convenient to do a Rental Car especially while staying at Aulani since it's about a 45 minute drive up to Wahiawa. Remember parking can be costly in the parking garage but being DVC members we get 2 cars for free during our stay.

Wing it! I'll be honest, the character breakfast isn't worth it. You can see some Youtube reviews but my cousin went back in October (it was their first staycation) and was not impressed especially since it's no longer a buffet, but up to you regarding that. Place that you need to eat while at Aulani, Monkeypod. You can reserve a table on your phone so check ahead. We booked a table at 630 on 4th of July around 1PM. If you plan to do Dole, it's more convenient to do a Rental Car especially while staying at Aulani since it's about a 45 minute drive up to Wahiawa. Remember parking can be costly in the parking garage but being DVC members we get 2 cars for free during our stay.
That’s funny because one of the things we liked is that it wasn’t a buffet with a bunch of people breathing on our food.

The kalua pig omelet was gigantic and there were plenty of leftovers.

The pictures you take with Mickey on the way in are almost guaranteed to make the Christmas card and the music played by Aunty and Uncle set a wonderful tone for the day.

It may not be everyone’s cup of tea , but my family enjoyed it.

I would also recommend making the hike to Longhi’s for breakfast/brunch one morning if you can’t get into the character dining.

That’s funny because one of the things we liked is that it wasn’t a buffet with a bunch of people breathing on our food.

The kalua pig omelet was gigantic and there were plenty of leftovers.

The pictures you take with Mickey on the way in are almost guaranteed to make the Christmas card and the music played by Aunty and Uncle set a wonderful tone for the day.

It may not be everyone’s cup of tea , but my family enjoyed it.

I would also recommend making the hike to Longhi’s for breakfast/brunch one morning if you can’t get into the character dining.
I agree. Aulani character breakfast is a must-do for us on Aulani trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter