Kitchen items

Mousefanz

Cable Girl
Getting together my list of things to take "home" in 2 weeks and curious about a few items:

Is there a sponge (for dishes), paper napkins or paper towels included in the kitchen? Do they provide enough dish soap for 5 days (just two of us) or should I bring more?

I did a search and got a lot of great tips from previous posts but didn't see these things mentioned.
Any other tips are greatly appreciated!!

TIA,
Sheryl

Every thing you mentioned is in your one-two and grand villa homes. I'm not sure about studios. My assumption is that they do.

Disney is not cheap or short on the "little extras." However, in OKW they provide a wine decorker but not in BWV@!@! How weird is that?

My only suggestion is to bring the Tide tablets! In a 10 day trip, I do laundry about 4-5 times. I like the tablets, small, precise and easy to pack!

Sometimes I pack cereal (mainly because we eat it all and it allows me the space for about 3 t-shirts)!!! I miss packing diapers! I could use the space real well with some great Disney towels or sweatshirts........

Paper towels are provided (at least an initial supply), but I can't recall ever seeing paper napkins. Dish soap and DW detergent are provided.

And contrary to popular belief, DVC continues to "dumb down" the OKW kitchen contents (according to the most recent vacation magic), by removing the blender (though available on request) and the cloth napkins. Another example of the draconian measures taken by DVC to control annual dues. On the plus side, the studios did get a few nice extra touches, but since we hardly ever stay in a studio......

If you plan on seriously using the "stove decoration", bring some PAM or a decent non-stick pan. Some people have no problem with the provided pans, but I think they are only good for boiling water.

I second the motion about the tablets for laundry.

Paper towels, yes. Paper napkins, no. If you run low on dish soap, paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex, just request more.

Mickey -- It says they removed the mixers, not the blenders.

They also eliminated the cloth napkins, coasters and placemats. (I thought I had heard there was some health code problem with the napkins and placemats).

On the plus side, it says that all DVC resorts will now have toasters, corkscrews, coffee cups and beverage glasses in the studios. OKW units with kitchens will also have a high chair. They are available by request at all other DVC resorts (and I assume for a studio).

We just got back from a stay in a studio at BWV. There was no toaster or corkscrew. There was an extra tissue box and extra paper towel roll.

They did not take out the blender, they took out the mixer.
For me the highchair is useless and a room "taker upper", I would rather have the napkins and placemants. Health code, no, keeping all in line with the other resorts, yes. Also, they took the coasters, MAJOR BUMMER, I hate rings.
Now, if they were really to keep in line, they would have vcrs in the studios of ALL the DVC properties.
If they had gone after the people who took these things home, charged them for them, I don't think we would see them going the way of the buffalo.
The napkins, placemats and coasters were hot theft items, after than were the mixers, fit right in the carryons/luggage. The blender might have been a challenge, but, not a big one.

If you are staying at VWL, no need to bring the non-stick pan, the pans they provide are all non-stick.

You are right, it was the blenders and not the mixer - my mistake. Still I see this as further erosion in amenities. First went the nice color coordinated towels; then the little knick-knacks, the nice door mat, the placements and now the cloth napkins and coasters. What's next, the stove decoration? Available on request from housekeeping of course.

Not sure I see it as an erosion but rather a safe gap measure in not costing us more money to replace items that "walk".
I have been a member since 92 and do not ever remember color coordinated towels. Just plain ole white ones.
RE: non stick pans at VWL, cannot wait to see them after a few months use. My money is on stainless steel replacements before the end of the year.
You know what really gets me. No potholders. Always have to request them. You simply cannot use the stove decoration without the color coordinated pot holders. :)

Hi Gail! Housekeeping once told me the pot holders (and the dish towel) were "on request" since they are also hot souveneirs. I wish DVC could have put something in place to charge for stolen items instead of punishing everyone by having to take them out.

Pam,
I will never figure out why these items are such hot things?
I mean, there is NOTHING on them to indicate anything Disney or DVC.
I agree, it would have been great to have had some control before this.

It's the old....take anything that's not nailed down mentality (I guess that's why the decorative items are "nailed down"). It's a real shame that people have to be that way. :(

OK - I give up - We have been members (OKW) since 1992 - mostly stay in the 1 or 2 bedroom) - What is the STOVE DECORATION? Thanks

Renee.

"Stove Decoration" is the term PamOKW and others have jokingly coined for the stove in the DVC units.

A thread a while back asked how many people actually "used" the stove while staying at DVC - and it turned out that very few did... Thus, calling it "only a decoration" in the kitchen.

Thanks Beth, - Wow - I ALWAYS use the stove - that's why I love Vacation Club - Cooking in is a pleasure, no standing in lines, no tempting "out of diet" stuff - I usually bring frozen soups and dishes from home (we are lucky to be only about 3 1/2 hrs. away) we enjoy eating at leisure - (sometimes on the patio) - and when we bring with the children and grandchildren - it's a BIG $ savings!

If I'm not mistaken, I do remember OKW had colored towels when we first joined in 1993.

Could be, but, on my first visit to OKW in 92 they only had white ones and the napkins, which were like finger towels, were greenish.
They may well have tried them out for a while.

We're on our way in a few days and was wondering if they provide coffee filters for the coffee maker. Anyone know?

Also, is there a link or place that list items like this specifically?

Thanks!

I'm not a big coffee drinker anymore, but as I recall no filters are provided. Your initial supply of coffee comes in the pre-packaged filter.

If you like fresh ground, I'd suggest bringing your own filters or planning on getting them during a grocery store visit; otherwise bring the pre-packaged coffee in the filter. You can of course use a paper towel in a pinch (but they don't make really good filters).

no coffee filters supplied, they use the large round ones, btw.
Not sure what you are looking for, but, I am sure there is a link somewhere for what should be in there.
It is well supplied. Dishes, silverware, pots, pans , utensils, blender, toaster, stove, dishwasher, fridge (with icemaker), bowls, baking dishes, vaccuum cleaner (yes, I checked again), etc.
They also supply dishwashing and dishwasher soap, paper towels, toilet paper, tissues, bar soap, small shampoo, towels, wash clothes, and hand towels, dishtowels, sponge. pot holders and placemats are available upon request as is a hand mixer. They no longer supply cloth napkins or salt and pepper.
This, I will also add is for OKW, 1 bedroom and up units.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter