Kilimanjaro Safari question

LovePug

DIS Veteran
We have ridden in many years, but I thought I remembered reading that the ride no longer has the poaching scene. Just check to see if my special needs son needs to be prepared for it, if it is still in it. TIA!

No poaching scene any more. Only information about the animals. Sometimes they mention a brief fact about poaching. Something such as "these animals numbers have declined due to poaching", but it is very brief.

We just returned from a trip in October and always love riding Kilimanjaro Safari! The CM talks about the current poaching climate in Africa during the ride but there aren’t any visuals like there used to be. I feel like there were a few subtle anti poaching props for theming while waiting in line and on the conservation films that are running while you wait, but I don’t remember anything particularly gruesome. Hope this helps! Have an awesome trip!

Yea the poaching and story of Little Red has been gone for years now. You can still see some remaining items from the story, but there's no mention of that storyline anymore

Yea the poaching and story of Little Red has been gone for years now. You can still see some remaining items from the story, but there's no mention of that storyline anymore
Important if seeing the stack of tusks and stuff bothered anyone. That is still there and often where the driver will bring up that is a never ending battle

The CMs do not really talk about it anymore and Little Red is gone. I believe the TVs in the queue line that also used to show videos of poaching are gone too. I think the only thing that may allude to the poaching are some fake horns and maybe a CM saying a quick line about it near the elephants or at the very beginning of the ride.

I personally think it is a shame they do not mention it more since I think it was a great way for children to learn about how they can make difference in the world. But I also understand some families may not feel comfortable with it, especially if a child can become truly disturbed by such visuals.

I would suggest riding earlier in the day. We normally ride before 10. This year, we rode at 11:30 and saw fewer animals out than usual. We went back at 5:30 pm, expecting to see more out and actually saw even fewer than the morning.

I would suggest riding earlier in the day. We normally ride before 10. This year, we rode at 11:30 and saw fewer animals out than usual. We went back at 5:30 pm, expecting to see more out and actually saw even fewer than the morning.
This was 100% coincidence. You can ride at that exact time on another day and see more animals than ever before. There is no best time of the day to ride. If you take any tours of the park/area you will learn why. They feed the animals at all points of the day, not just a set time, to bait them to viewing areas. They move animals on and off the safari at all points of the day, to give them rest periods. So what you want is to tour when they've put food out but seeing how that's done randomly, it's not possible to plan for. That's the beauty of this ride, and what makes it unlike most all others, it's never the same twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter