Kids Club Age Change

In my eyes why I think Disney Cruise Line is changing the age limit of their kids clubs is so they want to charge more money for people who go on these cruises. Because when you get the general picture DCL is supposed to attract all families with kids and by putting an age limit on the kids clubs is wrong. What I think DCL should do is remove the age limit of the kids clubs and refer to them as Family Clubs where all families can do activities for all ages and it could work very well. Because when you look at it from a different vision any kids activities and summer camps used to provide age limits up to twelve and the only adults that could be at summer camps were the camp staff who they hired. And when you look at it most teens and kids cannot do cruise activities alone and need supervision at all times so what DCL needs to do is redesign the kids clubs with no age limits and call them Family Clubs

In my eyes why I think Disney Cruise Line is changing the age limit of their kids clubs is so they want to charge more money for people who go on these cruises. Because when you get the general picture DCL is supposed to attract all families with kids and by putting an age limit on the kids clubs is wrong. What I think DCL should do is remove the age limit of the kids clubs and refer to them as Family Clubs where all families can do activities for all ages and it could work very well. Because when you look at it from a different vision any kids activities and summer camps used to provide age limits up to twelve and the only adults that could be at summer camps were the camp staff who they hired. And when you look at it most teens and kids cannot do cruise activities alone and need supervision at all times so what DCL needs to do is redesign the kids clubs with no age limits and call them Family Clubs
Sorry Dodger, I don’t agree. DCL already has a lot of activities geared towards families, as well as Open House times in all of the Youth Spaces when families can enjoy the spaces together. Kids (and their parents) should be able to have some time to themselves on vacation too

I am sorry for those who have booked when the rules were different. Especially when so much time and effort was put into planning. But I am actually happy about this change. I know it sucks for some families with older kids, or different dynamics, but think of the little preschoolers who never had anywhere to go. They were too big for nursery and clearly does not belong in a play place with big kids 10 and up running around. I can understand this change from a safety perspective especially with those preschool kids being the most vulnerable and it makes sense to me.

It’s wild that they had a 3-12 year old grouping for so long. It makes more sense for 11 to 14s to be in a play area together.

Anyway that’s just my two cents and I’m glad they are thinking of safety for the younger children.

Last edited:
I have no problems with the Edge space itself, the activities in the space, or the 11-14 age range. We've been to open houses there and my kids had a good time. The issue is that it is not secured. My one kid is not neurotypical and has invisible disabilities. History has proven that he does not make good decisions when he is able to roam unsupervised- especially in a setting where he is highly excited with other kids the same age.

It is not easy to raise a child with special needs. Like other posters, we thoughtfully book vacations to account that mom and dad sometimes need a break, too. We booked and paid for this vacation with the understanding that one of the amenities provided is secure childcare and that is no longer an option. If we had known that, our vacation plans may have changed, but now we sail next month, the trip is paid for and the kids are excited.

I have no problems with the Edge space itself, the activities in the space, or the 11-14 age range. We've been to open houses there and my kids had a good time. The issue is that it is not secured. My one kid is not neurotypical and has invisible disabilities. History has proven that he does not make good decisions when he is able to roam unsupervised- especially in a setting where he is highly excited with other kids the same age.

It is not easy to raise a child with special needs. Like other posters, we thoughtfully book vacations to account that mom and dad sometimes need a break, too. We booked and paid for this vacation with the understanding that one of the amenities provided is secure childcare and that is no longer an option. If we had known that, our vacation plans may have changed, but now we sail next month, the trip is paid for and the kids are excited.
I am sorry this is happening. I would advise you speak with the Counselors in Edge when you board and explain your concerns for your son. Perhaps you can make a plan with him and them to have him text or call to check in when he is ready to leave etc?

It's interesting reading all the different responses. My kids were bored to death in the club by age 9 and couldn't wait to go to the Edge. They both got waivers to age up at age 10.

I'm not sure it would be something I would be canceling a cruise over. That seems like an extreme overreaction. Let your kids try the Edge. They may love it and never look back. I find kids usually adapt and overcome better than the parents
Nvm

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty messed up this is taking effect right before those really expensive Christmas and New Year's cruises. If I had one of those booked I'd be furious.

We had plans to go on a cruise next Thanksgiving to let my twins who will be 12 get one more kids club experience with their younger brother. I'll call and cancel in the morning--can't justify thanksgiving week prices with no oceaneer's club experience. My youngest son has autism and we need the secured programming for him so this really messes with our plans to really maximize disney cruises as a vacation option when he is 11-12 in a couple years--we'd hoped to do a Europe trip and Alaska with Disney. I know it seems silly, but I genuinely feel like I am mourning for the vacations I thought I was going to take.

It makes me really sad and frustrated. Edge is nothing like the kids club. It's one room with some video games and no security in or out. It feels like this announcement is the equivalent of booking a cruise on the premise of having family dinners in the MDRs, only to be told that in two weeks, MDRs will be for adults only and everyone with kids has to eat at the quick service on the pool deck. The fact that they didn't think through how hard this would be on families is mind boggling.

Even though Edge is not the same as Oceaneers, I do think they could go a long way toward making this better for families by giving an option for Edge to have a secured programming options, at least for the 11-12 year olds. Kind of like the opposite how parents of 8 year olds can opt to give their kids self-checkout from the club.

I did a quick look at royal caribbean. They do have secure programming all the way up to age 12 so I guess maybe that's what we'll do for our next Alaska trip. If disney is going to differentiate based on age, you'd think they'd at least pay attention to what their peers are doing and realize there is a big difference between an 11 year old and a 14 year old.

Sometimes I feel like I don't even recognize Disney any more.
You have summed up our feelings 100%. We are sailing with our 11yo ASD kiddo in February and this policy change has ruined our vacation. We also had the Hawaii to Australia leg booked for October, which I just cancelled. I realize it’s a first world problem but the care of the kids club allowed our family to take vacations that gave Mom and Dad short breaks and I’m so sad we’ve lost that. I had a good cry last night. Today we try to find another safe and secure travel option.

I feel for you. My DS is a teen now, but we were in the same "boat" when he was younger, so to speak. We also made family vacation decisions based on amenities provided so everyone could enjoy their vacation. We actually took a break from DCL for a few years as the kids' clubs were overwhelming for him - so we opted for Celebrity which breaks the age ranges down even more (in far more appropriate ranges, IMHO) and has secured programming up to 12 years old. While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as DCL, the quieter spaces with a smaller group worked well for him and he even made some friends.

IMHO, 3 - 10 years old is still too wide of a range on DCL and they should have designed these clubs differently from the get-go, but, in the end, I agree with so many PP's on here - it was egregious that DCL implemented this policy after guests were PIF or were even in the penalty phase. This is just bad, bad customer service.

There was a transition age; 11 and 12 year olds could go to both Club/Lab and Edge. For many different reasons (not just the ones mentioned previously in this thread), they have stopped the crossover of ages

But they only stopped the lab/edge crossover. There is still an edge/vibe crossover.

This is being thrown together with very little thought put into it. Hopefully in the next year they change some things to make this more appropriate. Edge having more structure for one. More younger based activities. My 11 year old would not be interested in 4 square, she doesn’t have a phone so no selfie scavenger hunt for her, video games. She would like story times and character interactions and dress up.

I think most of us are in agreement that there was too broad an age range before. But that was the choice disney made. 3-12 is a bit much. Unfortunately they didn’t design the space on the new ships to allow much change. 3-8 and 8-12 would be a better fit with edge still having the 11-14 for those that have more mature social kids. Any grouping is going to have its troubles.

Again we sail in less than 2 weeks on a very expensive new year cruise. With a 10 and 11 year old. The 10 year old would love edge. The 11 will not. So incredibly disappointed in the way this was thrown at us with little time to react. Would be nice if Disney would have included something about what to expect in edge now that we are forced to move. Like a list of activities offered. The layout of how it works. But I guess that was asking too much.

My point is my son doesn't want an area with just video games. Are there art activities? Dances?
There are activities scheduled all day in the Edge. Anything from karaoke, and trivia, to making flubber. Now whether your kid wants to participate or play video games is another matter.

The vast majority of 11 year olds are not in Middle School. It's like saying that Kindergarden starts at 4years old. If happens but it's rare.
I admit 5th grade middle school is unusual (but happens) but I think 6th grade as middle school is fairly common- it’s a 50/50 split here by district. My 11 year old is in middle school. My birthday is in June so I was 11 my entire 6th grade year.

My 11 year old has been walking to the grocery store for me for over a year to get a couple things and she’s my less independent child. Just last week she wanted to make cookies so she used her own money to buy chocolate chips and walked up to the store about half mile away to get them. If she can do that, I am confident she will be totally fine going with new friends to watch the fireworks or a ship wide scavenger hunt.

The Edge will have to change. As one parent said they don't trust their 11 year old to wander the ship themselves. They have ADHD and make bad decision's. They are not mature enough to be left unsupervised. The Edge will have to accommodate those kids too.
Will they? There is some supervision but the clubs have never been able to provide things beyond their capacity like one on one aides or diaper changes for older children. If parents aren’t comfortable, the clubs have always been optional and that is why they have open houses- everyone can use them then.

There are activities scheduled all day in the Edge. Anything from karaoke, and trivia, to making flubber. Now whether your kid wants to participate or play video games is another matter.
Whether they actually do them is a different story. In summer my kid went to the Edge for specific scheduled activities one day but they weren’t done that afternoon and it was more independent. There were 3 things she wanted to do and none of them were done. She was OK with it but it could be an issue for some.

I’m actually more bummed about not being able to go to the adult spaces on the islands anymore. We have a July cruise that hits Castaway and Lighthouse Point, but we won’t be able to do the adult parts since she will be 11 and not eligible for Scuttles Cove anymore. And while they have some island activities for the Edge like volleyball or game time, it’s way too unsupervised for me to just cut her lose on a whole island for 3 hours.

This! 11 should still be club/lab. 12 would have been fine to say no to.
As a teacher in charge of discipline in my highly rated upper class school (perfect Disney cruise clientele) you should see some of the 5th grade referrals. And my school has one of the lowest referral rates in the large 25 elementary school district. Now many are silly kid stuff…. But a quarter of them involve language, situations, phone activity that you wouldn’t want your 5 year old involved in! And this is 5th grade! Who knows what is going on in 6th!

Illadd most of our 5th graders are super duper sweet. But the boys especially get competitive and say a lot of not great things. And there’s problems on their phones. I think 5th graders are more club geared than edge. But my point is more if we see this with 5th graders…. Should 6th and 7th graders be in there? That much farther into puberty and tween life. My take is no, and this split is the right thing for most.

But again, I wish those of you who were affected to cancel wothout penalty. To me, that’s not right.

Last edited:
With a 4 year old, I am happy about the change. 3-12 was way too big of an age gap. 3-10 makes more sense, though I understand being upset if you have a 11/12 year old who loved oceaneers. We all want our kids to have a great time.

I’m actually more bummed about not being able to go to the adult spaces on the islands anymore. We have a July cruise that hits Castaway and Lighthouse Point, but we won’t be able to do the adult parts since she will be 11 and not eligible for Scuttles Cove anymore. And while they have some island activities for the Edge like volleyball or game time, it’s way too unsupervised for me to just cut her lose on a whole island for 3 hours.

OH man I totally forgot that part too. The cruise we wanted to do was also so she could try out the kids club at lighthouse point. We are basically planning on not doing it and now I think there is zero chance.

Sadly such a poor decision for the 11 yos (which most that seem to be unhappy are ones with 11 more so than 12).

They should have had some wiggle room 3-12 is way to big of an age group. But 3-7 (preschool and early elementary) would be far more appropriate. Then a second age group of 5-11(12) elementary. Third group of 10-14 Middle school and then Hight school at 14-18 . Most kids mature some where within those lines and most siblings and close enough in age to have something like that to work. Or they could just keep it how it was and say no 3-4 year olds. Only elementary aged kids. Have a special pre-school time. This was just bad and not thought throw and rushed.
That's what I was thinking - 12-8yo, 7-4, 3 and under, similar to how other cruise lines do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter