Just back: Issue 2 - call out line cheaters, or mind your own busines?

The most common form of line cutting that I'll see is
one or 2 people get in line while the rest of the group uses the rest room or something else. If it's just a short gap, I don;t mind. Some people really try to take advantage of this one though. They must be doing a couple rides and having a table service lunch then they try to slip in at the last minute. Then I will ask "Where you going?".
a real problem area for line cutting that I saw was at the orlando airport where you have to wait for that tram thing that takes you to the terminal. There's no organized line for that thing and many people butt in front of others for that one.

You are right, Orlando airport (eg security area) is an absolute gong show

Threads like this are why I'm so glad my six flags has a number you can text to quietly report a description of line jumpers and security comes into line to find and confront them. It ends in removal from the park 9/10 times. Line jumping is a problem every trip we have at WDW, and even if you tell a CM they usually don't do anything about it.

As I read the first few posts in this thread, I was thinking, "This just doesn't happen at Six Flags." They really take line jumping seriously. Even for rides without the number system, if you report line cutting, they will verify it and then they will eject the line cutters from the park. I had a friend that worked Six Flags security in college, and they don't mess around. If you make any sort of gestures in pictures, you get kicked out. If you wear an inappropriate shirt, they will make you leave or buy a new one. If they hear you using bad language, you can get kicked out. If you smoke outside of a smoking area, out you go. I know Disney wants their "magic" but I did not enjoy it when someone was blowing smoke in my toddler's face at a bench nowhere near the smoking area. My DH pointed out that it wasn't the smoking area, and the smoker told us we were free to leave. So magical! Sometimes, Disney would make more magic by actually enforcing their rules so that the people who are following them can actually enjoy themselves.

In most areas, I give Disney the advantage over Six Flags, but in rule enforcement (and cleanliness), I think Six Flags wins.

In most areas, I give Disney the advantage over Six Flags, but in rule enforcement (and cleanliness), I think Six Flags wins.

I think the cleanliness really comes down to the fact that Six Flags parks don't get the sheer volume of guests that Disney parks do here in the US. It's much easier to keep their parks clean - though Six Flags only recently has begun to improve the park cleanliness. I remember going to the park here (and the one in California a lot) growing up and it was super dirty. They've really turned that around the past 5 years. My first job at Six Flags was a few years ago and in custodial, and it was a hard job but they expected us to be accountable for keeping our areas spotless and were very strict about their expectations. Rule enforcement was something that they started cracking down on the past 2-3 years too, and I agree that Six Flags does a lot more to enforce their rules than Disney does. They have no problem confronting a guest that is breaking one of their codes of conduct and removing them. I know smokers who don't smoke in the blue outlined smoking areas are promptly removed - this includes people who vape instead of use cigarettes.

You are right, Orlando airport (eg security area) is an absolute gong show

I tell you, that security line for the older terminal (I think), the one where it's like 20 lines that condense to one with no rhyme or reason before you get to the checkpoint is a real way to kill the Disney buzz on the way home. Is it really that hard for them to make a single line from the get go?

i would have made a snarky comment to ensure they knew i was pissed but i would not have taken it any further because usually its just not worth it.
they know they are jerks and everyone around them now knows it too and that makes me feel better about the situation.

I would let it go. Rude, yes. But I'm not a confrontational person. Not worth it to me.

Really, I would wave my magic band in the air because Disney is "watching, always watching Widowski" Then I would tell Disney to haul them back up front and make them go through the Detectors!:rotfl::rotfl:

I'm not shy, so I've called out folks before. However, its been my experience that it sadly doesn't change their behavior. Most of the time, they look at you funny and then ignore you.

If their actions or behavior are bad enough, report them to a CM. They're the folks that can actually do something about it.

I'm from New Jersey. We call people out around here, lol. I would have said "Nice example to set for your kids, teaching them to cut lines" or something like that.

I completely understand the mindset of "I am on vacation, and do not want confrontation". But not saying something would stick in my mind. Saying something, THAT allows ME to "Let it Go". (But others feel better keeping quiet, of course).

Although we stopped a group cutting thru the line at DL, on Pirates, and they were so nasty it had me watching out form them the rest of the day. But we felt good for standing up to them. (that went beyond saying something, that was us physically blocking them from getting past). :rolleyes1

I wouldn't call someone out on line jumping, but I'm very shy person and despise unnecessary confrontation.

Line cutters know exactly what they're doing, and I doubt someone with that type of selfish entitled mindset could be shamed into appropriate behavior anyway. Basically, it's a waste of breath :sad2:

OP: Tough call in your situation. Obviously that group knew exactly what they were doing. Pitiful.
I won't say anything to cause confrontation. However, I don't mind physically standing my ground and making sure there isn't extra space for anyone to move past me. No one is entitled to move ahead. If your group is separated, why not have them wait for you to catch up by allowing everyone else to move forward in the meantime? We are all waiting in line for the same reason. Wait your turn like everyone else-- a most basic pre-school concept. As for the CMs, they don't get paid enough to deal with the jerks who cut lines. I don't blame them for not getting involved even though I would certainly appreciate it if the no cutting policy were enforced.

I do wish they'd just enforce their rules. You're going to have far more positivity come out of it than negativity.

I did have a CM pull someone once. We were going up the FP line (almost empty) for space and the wait for standby was probably 40 minutes. A dad and his kid hopped into the FP line from standby right in front of us and tried to play it off but loudly saying to his kid "mom is waiting for us at the front." I just kind of shook my head because obviously it would show he didn't have a FP and his plan wouldn't work.

As we got up to the FP scanner the 3 CMs were talking about something work related and they all just happened to be looking different directions and the dad and his kid flew through without scanning bands. I was so annoyed! While we were scanning our bands I said "that dude and his kid just jumped from standby and powered through without scanning their bands while you ladies were chatting." They all looked shocked and one of them ran and ahead and told the guy they missed his band and to come back and scan it. Naturally he was all "isn't this the regular line?"

I honestly felt like kind of a rat and felt bad for his kid who wouldn't ride, but I bet he didn't try that nonsense again. I wish people were just courteous and polite. We wouldn't need to have rules enforced so much if people just followed them in the first place!

I can understand both the "mind my own business" as well as the "be confrontational" mind set.

But one thing about the "I just mind my own business" position---these people are cutting in front of YOU---doesn't that make it *YOUR* business? Just asking.

I wouldn't say anything to a CM. They can't spend their days enforcing courtesy rules--they just can't. I wouldn't even ask them to. They don't get paid enough, and don't have the authority (real or perceived) to effectively stop this behavior. EDIT TO SAY: Except in the case described by aarcher, above, where it's so clear cut, and the CM can verify. It's not a "your word" thing" And I wouldn't have felt like a rat. Consider the child just learned an invaluable lesson. Maybe it will even keep him out of prison, ha!

Part of me dreads Disney vacations because of the inevitable behavior such as has been described here. I try to take a tolerant view, and say, well, folks are just excited to be at Disney. Or they don't understand the tacit, unspoken rules.

Yeah. Right.

I tell you what I might do, as the situation allows--I would use my "presence"--physical and otherwise, to block this action. I'm THAT person--the kind of person to just step in front of you if you are line cutting, blocking your progress. I then make you ask to move ahead, and I just keep either staring at you or I will ask you, in a pleasant tone of voice, "where are you going? The line begins back *there*, see? Oh, your family is up there? Ah. But you are not up there, correct? And these people that are with you? They are your family, also? But they are here, not there?" I'm not going to scream and yell, I'm just going to ask--in a calm and reasonable voice.

I don't like bullies, and line-cutters are bullies. They assume they can assert their will over others and not be challenged. I don't like that, much.

It helps that I am (still) an amateur boxer and I am married to a former strong side linebacker for a professional football team. We are grandparents now, but some things don't change--at least not THAT much--not enough that I'm going to let someone cut the line with a hoard of barbarians, ahead of others that paid just as much as the barbarians, to ride the rides and see the shows and have been patiently waiting their turn. So if you are in line with me--I got your back.

:hippie: LOL.

But hey, if you just had to run your little one to the restroom, it's all good. No worries. I'll hold your place. Obviously, it's a judgment call, and I try to always err on the side of giving others the benefit of the doubt--but sometimes it's pretty dang obvious what is happening.

I'm serious--my DH refuses to stay at any resort on the bus lines because of the obnoxious bus rider behavior we have experienced--- and because he always gives up his seat to the elderly (more elderly than us, ha ha) and women and children, he ends up standing. With his knees that's not fun.

This is probably selfish in its own way, but I would have said something to them if they jumped in front of us, but not if they jumped in front of someone else.

While on POC, we could hear some teens loudly coming through the line claiming, "We're in a contest, we're in a race, we need to get to the front of the line." My BIL and myself blocked the line, when they got to us we said, "You've just hit a roadblock." There were some cheers, and they were uncomfortable for the five minutes they were behind us.

I tell you, that security line for the older terminal (I think), the one where it's like 20 lines that condense to one with no rhyme or reason before you get to the checkpoint is a real way to kill the Disney buzz on the way home. Is it really that hard for them to make a single line from the get go?

I totally agree with you...there has to be a better system. Bad enough the trip is over but we absolutely dread this part

It would honestly depend on how easy it was to report them, which depends on where they did it. On a trip to Universal years ago we told an employee about some teenagers who'd cut the line at one of the show-type attractions, but the queue was one of those outdoor ones that winds back and forth where everyone can see everyone, and it was easy for the employee to see what was going on and see that the line cutters had more line cutters joining them. She booted them from the line, told them they'd get kicked out if they did it again.

I can see how it would be much harder in a queue like RnR or Space. There's a lot of queue area that takes place in hallways that aren't necessarily monitored, or monitored closely. It's much harder to work up the gumption to tell a cast member about something that happened halfway through the line rather than something that just happened or is still happening, and it's your word against the line cutters'. I'd like to think I'd confront them, but really at most I might make a loud comment about it to a member of my party and then let it go. I don't have the authority to enforce Disney's rules, and it's not worth getting in a fight. I do think it's worth letting people know that their behavior has been noticed and deemed Not Okay; it usually won't cause them to immediately change what they're doing but hopefully it'll embarrass them or plant a seed in their mind that maybe they shouldn't do it again later.

So on Saturday we were waiting for the Festival of Fantasy parade in the Disabled Seating section across from the Hall of Presidents. About 10 minutes before the parade a guy and his daughter (maybe 3 years old) sneak under the rope between two wheelchairs and sit on the pavement. The lady in one of the wheelchairs says "This section is for disabled people and their families." The guy pretends not to speak English. The CM comes over with another scooter family and sees him and says absolutely nothing even though he wasn't there 2 minutes earlier. I decide not to say anything either since if it wasn't worth it to the cast member to question him, then its not my place either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter