Just back from the AKL concierge

wdwnut61

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone,

On Jan. 1st we checked out of the CR. I had requested express checkout so we didn't have to stop by the front desk. We called bell services for our luggage and there were plenty of cabs waiting outside. As we drove up to the AKL I was impressed with the guard who stopped our cab. After checking to make sure our names where on her list, she smiled warmly and said,” Welcome to the AKL". My jaw dropped as soon as I saw the lodge, the pictures don't do it justice. It is truly beautiful and you feel like you're in another world. Isolated, perhaps but that is the appeal of the lodge. We found it to be very relaxing to come back each day and be surrounded by the peaceful beauty of the lodge.

When we arrived, the bellman that took our luggage checked and our room was ready. As concierge guests we did not have to register at the front desk...YEA:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: As we walked to the elevator he gave us a brief tour and explained a little about the lodge. I found it interesting that the lobby is located on the 3rd floor and the restaurants are below the lobby on the 1st floor. Our room was 5225 on the Arusha Savannah Kudu Trail. At first I was worried we wouldn't see any Zebra because we weren’t on the Zebra Trail. He assured us we would see Zebra as they graze all over the Arusha Savannah. When we walked out onto our balcony we saw 3 Zebra, 2 Giraffe and 3 Ankole Cattle...very cool. He gave us a packet, which contained our room keys and a newsletter explaining all that the lodge had to offer. He also gave us a paper containing the food offerings in the concierge lounge. Waiting for us in our room was a lovely cake decorated with Happy Anniversary and a card from the concierge staff. What a wonderful surprise:D

Our room wasn't as large as the CR and I did prefer the bathroom at the CR. Still we had plenty of room. I was happy to see a separate dresser with 3 large drawers. The armoire also had 2 long drawers and two smaller drawers. There was a large comfy chair and ottoman next to the bed. A small table and two large chairs were located next to the armoire. I agree the lighting is low but to me it added to the atmosphere. I was happy I had brought my lighted makeup mirror;)

We went up to the lounge on the 6th floor where we met some of the concierge members. Everyone we met had a warm, friendly smile. The lounge is beautiful and there were many places to sit and relax. The view of the lobby below is gorgeous, especially with all the Christmas decorations. In addition to the elevator, we found another way to access the lounge from the 5th floor. As we were walking from our room, instead of crossing the bridge to go towards the elevators and the Zebra Trail side of the Arusha Savannah, we followed the hallway around and found a large iron gate. You still need to insert your card and walk up a few stairs to the lounge. We found this way a little closer. The offerings were as follows:

Macheo(Sunrise Offerings) 6:30am

• Coffee and assorted juices

Miamko(Adventurous Awakenings) 7:00am-10:30am

• Coffee (Regular and decaf)
  • Assorted Teas
  • Hot Chocolate
  • 3 Juices ( Orange, Guava and ?)
  • Minutemaid juice boxes
  • Small cartons of milk ( white and chocolate)
  • Bagles
  • Crossants
  • Assorted Danish
  • Fresh Fruit ( whole and cut up)
  • Boxed cereal
  • Oatmeal

Vitafunio(Safari Snacks) 11:30am-3:00pm

• African snacks and beverages

Chai(Afternoon Tea) 3:00pm-4:30pm

• Imported loose leaf teas
  • Assorted freshly baked scones
  • Homemade cookies
  • Biscuits

Kisikusiku(Twilight Offerings) 5:00pm- 7:00pm

• African wines ( 3 different varieties)
  • Hors d'oeuvres ( from Boma and Jiko)
  • Chicken nuggetts
  • PB & J sandwiches
  • Juices and milk

Rehema(Evening Indulgences) 8:00pm- 10:00pm

• Fine desserts (from Boma and Jiko)
  • Premium cordials

You did have to ask for water bottles and soda's each day but the staff in the lounge was so accommodating. We ate at Boma twice and loved it. We also liked Mara and found the food to be very good for fast food.

The pool is the largest on property and is wonderful. My two daughters really enjoyed the slide. Both of the hot tubs are somewhat secluded and very hot! The fitness center is located just behind the slide. My DD loved having her hair wrapped and seeing animals around the pool area.

Our most favorite part of staying concierge was going on the Sunrise Safari. The morning of our safari it was 34 degrees but that didn't dampen our spirits. We met in the lounge at 7:00am and they gave us badges with our names and warm, woolen blankets. We left the lodge with our guides at 7:30am and headed for the AK. It was very interesting to see where they animals go at night and how they keep the animals separated from each other and us. They do a wonderful job hiding all the barriers and fences. After departing our bus we boarded our vehicles and began our safari. We saw white rhinos, elephants, alligators, a lion and lioness. The giraffe came right up to the car. We saw an ostrich, hippos, zebra and assorted hoof stock. I can't remember all the animals but we saw so many. The great part about the safari is how close the animals are and they make frequent stops so you can take lots of pictures. After the safari, we walked to the Tusker House and had the best breakfast buffet. In addition to the traditional offerings, they had several African inspired dishes that were truly amazing. After breakfast, we were given a FP for Kilimanjaro Safari. I highly recommend the Sunrise Safari.

We found the transportation from the AKL to be very reliable. Our longest wait was 10 minutes and that was only once. Usually it was no more than 5 minutes. I really liked the fact that the AKL doesn’t share its bus with other resorts. It was very nice to go directly to and from the parks. The crowds dropped off dramatically after Jan. 3rd. The front desk told me over 400 people checked out on the 4th and over 500 on the 5th. The lodge never felt crowded but you could definitely a difference in the parks.

When we were ready to leave, I asked everybody which was their favorite resort. There was no contest with my DH and two DD’s. They absolutely loved the AKL. As for me, I also fell in love with the lodge…but I would prefer another split stay with the CR again. There is just something about that view. Watching the castle change colors at night and seeing the fog lift in the morning. Hearing the train whistle and watching the monorail glide through.

Wdwnut61, what an excellent trip report. I felt like I was vacationing at the AKL as I read your review, *sigh.* It sounds like your vacation was magical. Your CR stay was wonderful, and your AKL stay was wonderful. It just doesn't get any better than that, does it? ;)

Hi :wave:

Excellent Trip Report, I am glad you enjoyed your stay at AKL. When we stayed there unfortunately we really didn't like the lodge, we found the transportatin to be poor, the concierge lounge dull and staff unfriendly and we really didn't feel for the resort at all, IMO, Hopefully it was just a one-off, but we wont be re-visiting. Glad you had a great time though!

Woolen blankets?!!!!!!!:D

What a lovely report!!!!!!
AKL was my first deluxe and it will be hard to top!!!

I agree that it seems remote, but no more than CBR , ASSp and ASMo !

We will be at WL in Nov and I can't wait!!!!

Thanks for the in depth review of the Sunrise Safari!!!

Thanks for that great report! It really made me feel like I was there for a minute. We'll be there for our second stay next month because we really fell in love the AKL!:D

Great report! Do all concierges at WDW provide a list of food offerings and the times they are provided to the guests? I've never heard that mentioned before. Sounds like a great trip! I go to WDW in the summer months so I can't imagine needing woolen blankets.:D How nice of them to keep you warm.:D

What a great trip!! We are staying concierge in May for 5 nights. Can't wait. Can't book the sunrise safari yet but I can in another month.

Did you have any problems with getting a savannah view room?

I am so worried about that.

Wdwnut61, we probably passed you on our way out as you were arriving; we checked out on Jan. 1. Everything you shared just nailed it.

I guess what appealed to me about the Kilimanjaro Club (concierge lounge) was the "family" atmosphere. In the mornings, kids were sprawled out watching cartoons, guests often showed up in bedroom shoes, and it was just wonderfully cozy. Every CM we came in contact with was unfailingly helpful and cheery.

Pretty wonderful.

Hello and thank you for your report!

I was in room 5233 - which is just a few down from yours - it was quite a hike to the elevators to get to concierge.. but we didn't mind - after all we needed the exercise after eating and eating and eating in the lounge.

Wool Blankets... what a nice touch - I went in August so was not needed LOL 100 degrees!

Your secret way to the lounge - do you mean the staircase surrounded by metal vines? Or did you mean the small staircase that came up into the lounge to the right of the food tables?

How were your kids able to used the pool in 32degree temps? or did it warm up?

Thanx again

wdwnut61,

Your description of the AKL makes me want to change my ressies for October:D I had a question regarding the rooms on the concierge level. Are there any rooms available for 5 people? If so, what is the bed set up? Thanks in advance!

Janet2k,

You're right, it couldn't have been a better trip. Thanks to Cali and you and everyone on the DIS, I felt very prepared for our trip. It's rewarding to see the fruits of my labor after a year of planning and stressing over every detail. I was so preoccupied with everyone else having a good time that I forgot to relax and enjoy the trip myself. I knew I was in trouble on our first day when I was in a panic about arriving on time for our CP package. Of course we had plenty of time. Gary Sinese was amazing and the choir was magnificent. I think we enjoyed watching the conductor as much as the choir. He really got into it and we had a ball. That night I had a minor melt down and DH pulled me through. He reminded me that all the planning was finished and now all we had to do was just enjoy it. Words of wisdom, after that I was fine:D

richard3330,

I'm sorry to hear about your stay. Please consider staying again even if it's only for a day or so to split up your visit. I know you'll be pleased.:D

Suzy,

Thanks for the kind words. You'll have a great time at the WL. This was DH's favorite until the AKL. In his opinion, he felt there was more to do at the AKL and he loved the animals.:D

JennSaint,

I hope you have a magical stay. Please post when you return.:D

Tinkbell,

This was our first concierge experience so I'm not sure. I was amazed at the attention to every detail at the AKL. The day we were to leave there was a lovely card on our door thanking us for staying and wishing us a safe trip home. They also were kind enough to inform us of the temperatures back home. It was hard to leave the 70 degree weather and come home to 32 degrees and snow on the ground:( The night before there was a message from one of the concierge staff (Don) again thanking us and wishing us a safe trip home. It's all the little touches that make the difference:D

lizzie64,

Relax, everything will be fine. I was the same way....worry, worry, worry;) I think alot of people like being on the same floor as the lounge. If you have requested a savannah view, then a few days prior to arriving just send a followup email or phone call to the concierge staff reminding them of your preference. It is a liitle more of a hike to the lounge but the view is worth it:D

Dreamfinder2,

Thanks for the kind words. You're right, the lounge did feel very homey. My youngest DD(8) loved the cartoons. It was so great, she could help herself to a juice box or whatever and she would always want to sit right in front of the TV. One evening she felt so comfortable she curled up on one of the sofa's and fell asleep:D

>>^..^<<,

You're right is a bit of a hike, but well worth the effort. I loved our view because we were so close to Arusha Rock. The animals always seemed to gravitate there. Yes the small staircase to the right of the food tables. Fortunatley, most of the days were in the 60's or low 70's. We spent 2 days just relaxing at the resort and the temps during the day for fine. It did get chilly at night but that didn't stop DH and the kids. They went every night after dinner. They would get in the hot tub for a while, then hop in the pool and back in the hot tub;) You could see the steam coming off the pool, they said the water was nice and warm.

Janet2k,

You're right, it couldn't have been a better trip. Thanks to Cali and you and everyone on the DIS, I felt very prepared for our trip. It's rewarding to see the fruits of my labor after a year of planning and stressing over every detail. I was so preoccupied with everyone else having a good time that I forgot to relax and enjoy the trip myself. I knew I was in trouble on our first day when I was in a panic about arriving on time for our CP package. Of course we had plenty of time. Gary Sinese was amazing and the choir was magnificent. I think we enjoyed watching the conductor as much as the choir. He really got into it and we had a ball. That night I had a minor melt down and DH pulled me through. He reminded me that all the planning was finished and now all we had to do was just enjoy it. Words of wisdom, after that I was fine:D

richard3330,

I'm sorry to hear about your stay. Please consider staying again even if it's only for a day or so to split up your visit. I know you'll be pleased.:D

Suzy,

Thanks for the kind words. You'll have a great time at the WL. This was DH's favorite until the AKL. In his opinion, he felt there was more to do at the AKL and he loved the animals.:D

JennSaint,

I hope you have a magical stay. Please post when you return.:D

Tinkbell,

This was our first concierge experience so I'm not sure. I was amazed at the attention to every detail at the AKL. The day we were to leave there was a lovely card on our door thanking us for staying and wishing us a safe trip home. They also were kind enough to inform us of the temperatures back home. It was hard to leave the 70 degree weather and come home to 32 degrees and snow on the ground:( The night before there was a message from one of the concierge staff (Don) again thanking us and wishing us a safe trip home. It's all the little touches that make the difference:D

lizzie64,

Relax, everything will be fine. I was the same way....worry, worry, worry;) I think alot of people like being on the same floor as the lounge. If you have requested a savannah view, then a few days prior to arriving just send a followup email or phone call to the concierge staff reminding them of your preference. It is a liitle more of a hike to the lounge but the view is worth it:D

Dreamfinder2,

Thanks for the kind words. You're right, the lounge did feel very homey. My youngest DD(8) loved the cartoons. It was so great, she could help herself to a juice box or whatever and she would always want to sit right in front of the TV. One evening she felt so comfortable she curled up on one of the sofa's and fell asleep:D

>>^..^<<,

You're right is a bit of a hike, but well worth the effort. I loved our view because we were so close to Arusha Rock. The animals always seemed to gravitate there. Yes the small staircase to the right of the food tables. Fortunatley, most of the days were in the 60's or low 70's. We spent 2 days just relaxing at the resort and the temps during the day for fine. It did get chilly at night but that didn't stop DH and the kids. They went every night after dinner. They would get in the hot tub for a while, then hop in the pool and back in the hot tub;) You could see the steam coming off the pool, they said the water was nice and warm.

We were there when you were WDWNut. We checked in 1/1 for two nights. We were amazed at how family friendly it was. We were the ones with a son (8) and a daughter (3), both big for their ages. My little girl was the one dressed like Lilo! It is now our favorite place in the world to stay. We also have been at also all of the resorts including a castle view at CR. I agree that is also hard to beat with a little girl that lets us all know when the castle is purple!

We started out at AS-Music, then AKL-Conci., then the cabin two more nights. AKL-Conci. happily took care of our luggage transfer. When it arrived at the cabins we had a wonderful safari bag with water bottles in it. I would go back anytime.

Also the bus never took us more than 10 min.

If anyone goes, don't forget the Hidden Mickeys!

Thanks for your great trip report. It brings back old memories of when we were there and how much we loved that resort. Hopefully one of these days (or years) we will go back there. I am hoping to drop by that resort when we leave AK next week.

Do you have any photos :)? We would all love to see them :).

Thanks for the great trip report! :) I've read so many glowing reports on AKL like yours that we are now considering changing our CBR ressies!

Wow, I just noticed you are from DE too!! Nice to see another DE resident on the boards! :D

Gi

No photos yet, I am still trying to recover from the holidays!!!

FeeFeeWhite,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay:D I don't think anything will compare to the way we were treated and how wonderful they made us feel at AKL. My 2 DD's and I had a ball looking for the hidden Mickeys. On the Sunrise Safari our guide showed us a rather large one directly on the savannah. It's made of concrete and surrounded by water. All the birds loved hanging aroud Mickey:D

Minybear,

I did take lots of photos. Unfortunatley I just bought the digital camera right before we left. As soon as I can read how to upload the photos, I will post them. I am very computer challenged so it may take a little time :D

MinnieGi,

Glad you enjoyed the report. If you can make the switch do it, you won't be dissappointed. It is nice to see someone else from DE on the boards. I can't tell you how many times during our stay we were asked "Where are you from?" and we would reply "Delaware". They would always looked puzzled and respond with either "Where is that?" or " Is that a state?" LOL

WDWNUT61 - I just changed our ressies!!!! So now in 19 days we are headed to AKL!!!!! They still had AP rates available too, very nice! :)

I know well what you mean about getting the "look" about DE. So many people we met think its a part of PA! Errr.

Better go change my tag line to AKL now.

Gi

MinnieGi,

Very cool, you'll have a wonderful time. I can't wait till you get back to hear all the details:D

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :wave: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :sunny: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :teeth: :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I heard DE was part of New York when we were in WDW:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter