Just back Autism and a Service Dog...

One of the most amazing things we learned was the cost (including flight and the 3 days of training, plus room and board); I believe it was $150. I nearly cried, it's just amazing.

Yeah, some programs do a lot of fundraising on their own so that the ppl getting the dogs don't have to pay a lot/fundraise themselves. The dogs themselves cost thousands, tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to raise and train.

I do understand the level of responsibility entailed in having a service dog, and don't know that she would be mature enough even at 18 - that's a long way away. I suppose my main concern is that I would like her to go to college, confidently and independently, wherever she wants and I can't help wishing she could have a dog at a younger age.

However since she'll currently take off running, dragging her cane behind her...LOL.

You never know - she might mature up enough by then. :) Getting a dog in her college years would be a good thing. Hmm, running with her cane behind her, unless she is running backwards, does not sound like too good a thing, though!! ;) She sounds very playful and fun!

I have within the last few years read some rulings, which clarified the expansion of the covered areas to learning including the area of social skills and the public areas required to obtain them. Of course I also did not bookmark them.

True, but realize that just being covered under the ADA does not qualify one for an SD. There are disabilities that cannot be mitigated by tasks a dog is trained to do, which makes the person ineligible for an SD. The ADA covers tons of accommodations, not just SDs. :)

Hmm, running with her cane behind her, unless she is running backwards, does not sound like too good a thing, though!! ;) She sounds very playful and fun!

Oh she is a RIOT. What an imagination, and she is as silly as she can be! She was born with her vision problem so it's all normal to her...in fact as she gets older we can get aids that just help her see better so she thinks it's really cool! :thumbsup2

What are the aids that help her see better? They sound very interesting!! I've heard of ppl with certain injuries or diseases getting eye surgery to see better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter