Just a Dream Away- The Imagineering Thread*Are you curious, imaginative, dedicated?

AliceinHalloweentown

<font color=blue>Leader of the WDI Cult<br><font c
Hiya everybody!

I don't know about you, but it's my dream, my passion, and my goal to be an Imagineer. Even if you don't want to be one, just thinking up ideas for the park can be a great deal of fun!

So, now, I present to the TB: The Imagineering Thread, for talking about all things imagineering.

Want to be an Imagineer? Great! :goodvibes Talk about that.

Have a fun idea for an attraction/land/park/show/etc.? Fantastic! Feel free to post it here to share.

Wonder how they do an effect in say, the Haunted Mansion! Awesome! I'll be happy to help you find the answer.

So.. feel free to Dream.Design.Diversify and make the magic on the brand new Imagineering thread! :wizard:

300px-Walt_Disney_Imagineering.png

So, I really want to be an imagineer. I know how difficult it is to become one, and I'm not afraid to face the obstacles and delays in becoming one.

I decided to start this thread with a list of all of my books pertaining to Imagineering, the Imagineers, and building the Disney parks:
The Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland
The Imagineering Field Guide to EPCOT
The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom
The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom
The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at It's Peak
The Imagineering Workout
The Imagineering Way
Walt Disney's Imagineering Legends and The Genesis of the Disney Theme Park
Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real
Designing Disney
The Art of Disneyland
The Art of Walt Disney World
The Haunted Mansion: From the Attraction to the Movies

I want to work for WDW. I want to be like a designer for the rides. (If that's the same as what an Imagineer does please forgive me for not realizing it)

I want to know what qualifications are needed. It'll help me finally decide about college ;)

Yep that's Imagineering for you =D

You don't technically work "for" WDW, it's a seperate division, but it is the ride designs for ALL of the parks (even Tokyo, which is owned by OLC, not Disney, but uses WDI).

Imagineers are anything and everything when it comes to designing a park, architects, engineers, show writers, interior designers, landscapers, etc.

From the Imagineering Field Guide(s)- [stuff I missed] Also concept artists, lighting design, prop design, soudn design, media design, landscape architectue, show set design, character paint,, character plaster, Dimensional design, Fabricatioin Design, Special Effects, Production Design, Master Planning, Research and Development, Project Management, Construction Management, and many more.

I have this great idea (well...I think it's great atleast) for a new roller coaster.

It would be in Animal Kingdom, and it would be Tarzan themed. The story behind it would be Clayton has captured Tarzan (or Jane) and we need to help one of the characters help save him/her. So we would board a roller coaster, which would be outdoors, and painted a dark green. It would be a very big and fast, looping roller coaster. Maybe add a few water effects along the way.

But I would love to be an Imagineer. What an amazing job that would be!!

I like that idea Julie!

I think it would be cool if Jane was the one captured, and Tarzan was asking the guests to help him save her and to follow him on the vines. You know, they have "Stand-up" rollercoasters nowadays, too, which would add to the realism of gliding on vines in the jungle.

Yep that's Imagineering for you =D

You don't technically work "for" WDW, it's a seperate division, but it is the ride designs for ALL of the parks (even Tokyo, which is owned by OLC, not Disney, but uses WDI).

Imagineers are anything and everything when it comes to designing a park, architects, engineers, show writers, interior designers, landscapers, etc.

hello! this is a future show writing Imagineer signing in! well for the sharing of ideas part...I'm not spilling anything...I keep my iddeas very hush hush....no one is gonna steal my ideas! but great thread! :D

Hiya, yeah I'm a little hesitant to post some of my ideas, too, but I have some under-developed ones I don't mind sharing.

Out of curiosity- what name do you all like better:

The Constellation Club, or The Skyway Cafe?

I like that idea Julie!

I think it would be cool if Jane was the one captured, and Tarzan was asking the guests to help him save her and to follow him on the vines. You know, they have "Stand-up" rollercoasters nowadays, too, which would add to the realism of gliding on vines in the jungle.

I like that standup idea! :thumbsup2

Thanks!

I'm trying to visualize the vehicles themselves, I can see how the tracks would look, though. (perhaps they could even be partially covered by a large "vine")

hello! this is a future show writing Imagineer signing in! well for the sharing of ideas part...I'm not spilling anything...I keep my iddeas very hush hush....no one is gonna steal my ideas! but great thread! :D

Do you plan on entering the ImagiNations comp in college?
http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/imaginations/

That's what I'm saving most of my ideas for... I've started the prelim sketches on all of them for the most part.

Yeah. I want it to be really wooded around it, and I'm sure there's some way they could build "vines" around the track. I mean, they put a mountain around many roller coasters, I'm sure vines aren't too hard to do.

I picture the ride vehicles to be a lighter shade of green..maybe mottled with brown so it looks earthy and natural.

There should be a Sleeping Beauty ride.

I agree. Sleeping Beauty Castle in DL has the walkthrough of the castle with scenes of the movie/story, and DLP has stained glass telling the story and a giant dragon chained in the caverns under the castle, but there's no real "attraction" about her.

I'm working on a Beauty and the Beast one, though.

Yeah. I want it to be really wooded around it, and I'm sure there's some way they could build "vines" around the track. I mean, they put a mountain around many roller coasters, I'm sure vines aren't too hard to do.

I picture the ride vehicles to be a lighter shade of green..maybe mottled with brown so it looks earthy and natural.

That sounds really good!

Perhaps the queue will be like the Porter's campsite, and the launch will have Tarzan asking you to follow him?

Here's a concept sign I did for The Constellation Club, tho I'm leaning toward calling it The Skyway Cafe. They just evoke two different designs for me.

That sounds really good!

Perhaps the queue will be like the Porter's campsite, and the launch will have Tarzan asking you to follow him?

Yeah..that would be awesome!
Maybe there would be a preride movie (similar to Test Track) so the riders could see what exactly happened. Then Tarzan would come on in a frenzy and say we gotta go save Jane.

Maybe there would even be some kind of onboard audio. I don't know how well that would work if it's a high speed roller coaster, but it would still be cool to hear Tarzan yelling "Go, c'mon, go left" or something.

Yeah..that would be awesome!
Maybe there would be a preride movie (similar to Test Track) so the riders could see what exactly happened. Then Tarzan would come on in a frenzy and say we gotta go save Jane.

Maybe there would even be some kind of onboard audio. I don't know how well that would work if it's a high speed roller coaster, but it would still be cool to hear Tarzan yelling "Go, c'mon, go left" or something.

I think that'd work, or hearing Jane yell "Help!". What if the unload station was up high a bit? Then as the coaster slowed down you could see Tarzan with Jane and Clayton hanging from a vine or something. Tarzan could be thanking you for your help.

I was thinking the track could at least have some vines hanging from the side like in this pic:

Tarzan.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter