Juneteenth set to become a federal holiday in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on it is, whether or not we agree with it, people are free to express their opinion. This trend of cancel culture, telling people what they can and can not stay is very toxic. After all, free speech is in the constitution also. Believe it or not, it is actually a good thing for people to come out and express their views. That is how you get conversations going and how things start to change. Bullying and name calling someone that has a different opinion does NOT give you the moral high ground.

Very well said.

I believe I heard on TV that actually the slaves in Texas didn’t even realize that they were freed. Took two years for that news to reach them. When I think about it back then news didn’t travel fast and the lack of access.
The enslaved people on Texas were not told they were free until June 1865. Their owners intentionally withheld the news about Emancipation from them.

I looked it up to see why it's called Juneteenth and this is what I found on www.britannica.com/topic/Juneteenth: "Juneteenth is a holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States. It is also called Emancipation Day or Juneteenth Independence Day. The name “Juneteenth” references the date of the holiday, combining the words “June” and “nineteenth.”

So I still don't get it, there are 7 days every month the end in teenth. So I don't really understand the name. It's not clear what day in June is "the day" based on the name. I don't care if the name is changed or not just sayin the name is a bit confusing.

Had you searched more than one source, you would have found the answer.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/juneteenth-day-celebration.html

The name “Juneteenth” references the date of the holiday, combining the words “June” and “nineteenth.”

So I still don't get it, there are 7 days every month the end in teenth. So I don't really understand the name. It's not clear what day in June is "the day" based on the name. I don't care if the name is changed or not just sayin the name is a bit confusing.

But there's only one that starts with "N". You're thinking about it as two separate words "June" and "teenth", but the N from June is the start of the second word. Mash the two words together a bit more... June-nineteenth--- Ju-neteenth.

Not sure if you're implying that I'm being a bully?

I'm expressing my opinion of what this debate feels like. Others have the right to feel differently, for sure.

However, I also think people have the right to be upset. There is a cultural element to the holiday and its name, so I can understand why people who feel ownership over it would be offended.

Being offended is an opinion too...
When people seem to be offended about what seems like everything it just becomes background noise after a while.

Just because it feels like it needs to be touched on again. Free speech doesn’t mean you can say whatever you want, whenever you want, without repercussions. It does mean you can speak out against your government. So tying it to “cancel culture” is woefully incorrect.

Semi related - so is assuming “cancel culture” is one sided. Not saying you said that, just in general.

I know what free speech is. And I obviously was not referring to anything that you are talking about. But my point is very valid. Discussing a name of a holiday is an acceptable topic and I don't feel that people should be told to just shut up about it or made to feel like they did something wrong for having an opinion. If it was any other holiday, we would not be having this discussion. There is a difference between disagreeing and giving your point of view and telling someone that they are "white privileged" for having an opinion on a name. I am not saying that I agree with it, just that I don't like seeing people being name called and shut down for having their opinion. And are far as "one sided". there is a difference between giving your opinion and your side of the discussion, and name calling to try to shut someone up.

I personally think this new federal holiday being disclosed to us the way it was is just political pandering. With the current climate in our country and especially after this past year with so much rioting and burning down of our cities only supports my belief. I know there are many here who will strongly disagree with me and that is ok, we live in America and we all have a right to our own opinion.
The only reason it didn't become a holiday sooner was because somebody put a filibuster hold on it. No such hold was placed this time around.

Just because it feels like it needs to be touched on again. Free speech doesn’t mean you can say whatever you want, whenever you want, without repercussions. It does mean you can speak out against your government. So tying it to “cancel culture” is woefully incorrect.

Semi related - so is assuming “cancel culture” is one sided. Not saying you said that, just in general.

Not sure I agree with you. Cancel culture seems to be a relative new term (to me at least, maybe not to you). It may be two sided, not sure since I seem to agree with one side. People in general seem to go one way or the other, just the way it is. Different strokes for different folks?

Funny thing is that now it seems like the people I considered to be part of the "cancel culture" are starting to eat their own. Attacking people who usually attacked the right. Interesting development. We shouldn't try to take peoples voices away (cancel them) unless we want our own voices taken away. What goes around comes around?

But there's only one that starts with "N". You're thinking about it as two separate words "June" and "teenth", but the N from June is the start of the second word. Mash the two words together a bit more... June-nineteenth--- Ju-neteenth.

Thank you tzolkin, I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me and others.

Did anyone do that on this thread?

Telling someone their opinion on the name is "white privilege" is no OK. People seem to forget that not all white people had slaves or agreed with it. My grandma was a slave herself. She was taken at 16, stripped naked, violated, and then sent to work on a farm at the mercy of the farmer. White people have been slaves in the last century. Even though this did not happen in the US, slavery is not just a black person issue. It has affected almost every single culture in history. This Country does a horrible job of teaching history but it includes all of us. To divide people even more by saying in essence, "you are white, so you don't get an opinion", is not the right way to go about having a conversation about the holiday.

The only reason it didn't become a holiday sooner was because somebody put a filibuster hold on it. No such hold was placed this time around.
Yes and no. It was never brought up as a bill (to my memory) until last summer. And there were other issues (CARES act, etc., that needed attention too. I lean concervative and support this (the holiday), but last summer made it seem more political than it needed to be, in my humble opinion.

Not sure if you're implying that I'm being a bully?

I'm expressing my opinion of what this debate feels like. Others have the right to feel differently, for sure.

However, I also think people have the right to be upset. There is a cultural element to the holiday and its name, so I can understand why people who feel ownership over it would be offended.

Being offended is an opinion too...

This here is where I see the problem. No one group has "ownership" over this holiday. It's now a Federal holiday so it belongs to us all not just one group and again as Buzz Rules said a few pages back and Lilsia said a few post above black people are not the only people who have experienced slavery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter