jungle4life

Earning My Ears
Hi all -- my first post!

I'm a former CM from a long long time ago and am very familiar with the park. I've been twice to WDW with my autistic son, when he was 4 and 5 on spring break. It was WAY too busy for him at that time, but DAS was very accomodating and helpful.

A lot has happened since then. During Covid, our son became very violent and aggressive (We now know he also has Pathological Demand Avoidance - PDA), and we have fought our way back from extreme abuse from him, and he is almost back to his former self. IT's been a hard year on us all, myself, husband and 9-year old son. He still has very little tolerance for waiting, and when he's hungry or hot, he can be less agreeable. However, he loves to read, and can sit in the car and read unaffected... hoping maybe stroller as wheelchair might be saving grace. He also has strange bouts of his body being excessively tired..

I worked at the Jungle Cruise, and they're having a reunion/movie premiere gathering at Magic Kingdom in (of all times!!) late July. Experts: Is this a terrible idea to go at this time of year? If I go alone, my son might find out, and that's not fair to him.

IF whole fam goes, I would need to find a very chill place to stay with at least a fridge and microwave. I typically stay close to MK, we've been in Wilderness cabins and rented golf cart before which was pretty good. I figure during covid, the boat rides are probably a good safe form of transport. If you drive, how much does parking cost at parks?

Also, will fast pass be up and running then? (If this is in other forums I apologize, but I read through what I could)? Will Disney have a certain # of people they allow in, or % of norm? Does anyone know? I know they take reservations, and aren't yet sold out those days.

My concerns:
1. He will get hot and fussy in July
2. He will have a crazy meltdown in a line
3. We will have a hard time finding quiet places

Good things:
1. The CMs acting as police with masks. He has SO MUCH anxiety about Covid and people not wearing masks. He will appreciate them policing.
2. The - I hope - reduced admission numbers... does late July typically have same, more or less people than spring break in April?

Are there ways to buy points to stay at vacation club places? I am out of the loop, and I sincerely apologize in advance for anything I don't know... I am spread so thin. Thus why we need a trip :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE. your guidance means so much.

Although FastPass isn't happening right now, DAS is!

I've heard Disney hasn't been as good about ensuring people are following social distancing markers when in line lately, though. I've read that from a number of people who have gone recently, and it's made me very nervous about going to Disney World.

Yikes, I don't like that. Our fam has been very careful about Covid.. My husband and I are vaccinated, but we still want to keep our distance...

Hi all -- my first post!

I'm a former CM from a long long time ago and am very familiar with the park. I've been twice to WDW with my autistic son, when he was 4 and 5 on spring break. It was WAY too busy for him at that time, but DAS was very accomodating and helpful.

A lot has happened since then. During Covid, our son became very violent and aggressive (We now know he also has Pathological Demand Avoidance - PDA), and we have fought our way back from extreme abuse from him, and he is almost back to his former self. IT's been a hard year on us all, myself, husband and 9-year old son. He still has very little tolerance for waiting, and when he's hungry or hot, he can be less agreeable. However, he loves to read, and can sit in the car and read unaffected... hoping maybe stroller as wheelchair might be saving grace. He also has strange bouts of his body being excessively tired..

I worked at the Jungle Cruise, and they're having a reunion/movie premiere gathering at Magic Kingdom in (of all times!!) late July. Experts: Is this a terrible idea to go at this time of year? If I go alone, my son might find out, and that's not fair to him.

IF whole fam goes, I would need to find a very chill place to stay with at least a fridge and microwave. I typically stay close to MK, we've been in Wilderness cabins and rented golf cart before which was pretty good. I figure during covid, the boat rides are probably a good safe form of transport. If you drive, how much does parking cost at parks?

Also, will fast pass be up and running then? (If this is in other forums I apologize, but I read through what I could)? Will Disney have a certain # of people they allow in, or % of norm? Does anyone know? I know they take reservations, and aren't yet sold out those days.

My concerns:

Good things:
1. The CMs acting as police with masks. He has SO MUCH anxiety about Covid and people not wearing masks. He will appreciate them policing.
2. The - I hope - reduced admission numbers... does late July typically have same, more or less people than spring break in April?

Are there ways to buy points to stay at vacation club places? I am out of the loop, and I sincerely apologize in advance for anything I don't know... I am spread so thin. Thus why we need a trip :)

if you have not posted this on the Disability Forum I would place this there also. a lot of people with same questions

My grandson is on the spectrum, and he also has demand avoidance. We have gone in July and August for several years, but this will be our first time back with him since Covid. We are a bit concerned about him keeping the mask on in the heat, but the DAS has always been wonderful, and I was happy to hear it is still available. That jungle cruise reunion sounds very special, I'm sure you will have a great time, just take it slow and enjoy.

My grandson is on the spectrum, and he also has demand avoidance. We have gone in July and August for several years, but this will be our first time back with him since Covid. We are a bit concerned about him keeping the mask on in the heat, but the DAS has always been wonderful, and I was happy to hear it is still available. That jungle cruise reunion sounds very special, I'm sure you will have a great time, just take it slow and enjoy.
Thank you Cape Girl! Is there any way to message you? I have only "met" one other person whose son has PDA... we are still learning about it. it's a toughie!

If you drive, how much does parking cost at parks?
$25 for theme park lots (but included with onsite stay). WDW started also charging resort parking fee a couple years back, between $15-25/nite depending on level of resort (DVC is still free 🙂).
Also, will fast pass be up and running then? FP won’t likely be back soon. Not expected until capacity restrictions and distancing lifts. FP was rumored to be changing even before the virus. It may never return in the old form. Instead there will probably be a new system to replace when it returns. (If this is in other forums I apologize, but I read through what I could)? Will Disney have a certain # of people they allow in, or % of norm? Does anyone know? Right now capacity is understood to be 35%. Keep in mind that is 35% of max capacity, so it’s just a bit below average crowds. WDW is reopening 3 hotels in quick succession starting Memorial Day. I’d expect if the virus outlook continues on a positive path they will expand capacity going in to the summer. And if that happens then I also think more show attractions and restaurants will reopen too I know they take reservations, and aren't yet sold out those days.

My concerns:

Good things:

Are there ways to buy points to stay at vacation club places? Yes you can rent points from an owner. Usually at 7 months most of the most popular choices are gone. The 3 biggest DVC resorts are the last to fill. They are Old Key West, Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Villas. There is still some availability across them in July. OKW is wide open for studios. If you’re interested, sooner is always better with DVC. It can be worth the hassle because the resorts are lovely and it’s a less expensive option and free parking. Renting is usually non refundable tho. I am out of the loop, and I sincerely apologize in advance for anything I don't know... I am spread so thin. Thus why we need a trip :)

Hope that helps. And you make it to the reunion and have a great time! Sounds like it could help after such a challenging year.
A strategy for WDW in the summer is arrive for the very early rope drop (usually 7/8am in summer), then break by noon to go relax back at resort for pool/nap, then go back later 4/5pm. Midday is hottest and also peak crowds.

Are there ways to buy points to stay at vacation club places?
yes, I know of two: David's Vacation Club and DVC Rental Store. We have used David's three times in the past but it is unfortunately still non-refundable. Next time we will likely use DVC Rental store because they have put in a new policy of providing a credit 120 days out if you need to cancel (double check the policy - i'm not entirely sure I have the right number of days) . There are one bedrooms and they have a full kitchen and laundry. The studios have a little kitchenette with microwave, toaster, fridge, etc. DVC Rental Store will show you real-time availability for your dates (if I'm looking at it correctly). Fort Wilderness might be something to consider too. It's so spread out and your son might enjoy the golf carts if you can rent one?

Sounds like a hard year for you and your family - would be nice for you all to have some magic. Best of luck!

Honestly, I wouldn't stay on-site in this circumstance. I would rent a home with a private pool and drive to the parks. July is very hot/humid and I agree with a PP that the best strategy is to arrive early, take a mid-day break, and go back at night. I would plan for the parks to be busy over the summer. I've read a lot of threads where people have rescheduled to this summer either due to cancelled trips last year or due to the vaccine rollout. Unless WDW opens up more things like shows, parades, restaurants, etc. that help to disburse the crowds, even 35% capacity will seem crowded. There were some pictures posted of people who went over Easter and it looked really crowded to me.

Fastpass- unlikely but maybe.

Current Covid procedures remaining exact- very unlikely (not to burst your bubble, but Floridians are over it- so anywhere you go, you might see something other than what you’ve described in your post).

stroller as wheelchair- great idea. That’s what we’ve done and very helpful. Also love the boats. And meltdowns happen. CMs have always been very kind. WDW is very over stimulating.

So you’d either need to rent points with enough space to keep your son preoccupied when your gone/give him space OR you could do a house rental and just one or two days at the parks.

also- Weather? July is hot and muggy and rains every afternoon most times. Lots of people yank off their masks in the rain, plus they get wet, plus things close down etc.

Regarding masks, people can now take them off for pictures. Your son will see a lot of that I'm thinking. Will he be okay with that?
We went in July/August in 2018 and 2019, and it was extremely hot... and that was without masks. It was also pretty crowded.
It sounds like your son loves disney, but maybe you should try going yourself this time to see if it's something he can handle, then go again another time with him if you think he could handle it.

Thank you Cape Girl! Is there any way to message you? I have only "met" one other person whose son has PDA... we are still learning about it. it's a toughie!

I believe you have to have a certain number of posts before you can start a 'conversation.' PDA is so hard. My grandson was diagnosed with PDA when he was six years old, he is now 13. The most hopeful thing I can say is that, although PDA never really goes away, it does get better with age. When we are in the parks we have learned to 'go with his flow' to minimize any acting out. His behavior is always worse when he is tired or overstimulated, so a pool break works wonders. :)

Hi all -- my first post!

My concerns:

Good things:

My BFF and I took our boys (both 11 at the time) to WDW in July 2019. Neither have ASD, but both have anxiety and some sensory issues. It was REALLY hot. We found they did best when we got to the parks early and left after lunch. They then, usually, spent the majority of the afternoons in the pool and relaxing and we would occasionally go back into the parks after the sun went down. We took it very easy. We did most rides, but if lines were long or the kids started to drag, we abandoned ship, so to speak. IMHO, finding a resort that would work best for your child is key. I think the cabins at Ft. W could be a great option. You'll have a separate space without a lot of risk of neighbor noise from an adjoining hotel room and you would have a kitchen. Lots of outdoor space and other non-park activities to keep your son occupied (pool, horse stables, etc. if he likes things like that). I didn't find July to be terribly crowded, but I have no clue what this July will be like. I would also consider going to the reunion alone. From one mom to another - we all need moments to ourselves sometimes. It's ok to take time for yourself.

Hi all -- my first post!

My concerns:

Good things:

1. You know your son better than anyone answering your post. You know the extent of his medical and personality needs that can't fully be explained in a blog post. You already state concerns. We know adults that go to WDW from time to time w/o children. This is a parental decision. We adjust our trips based on who and what. 2.Is any place at WDW really chill?? 3. How does anyone know when fastpass will be up and running? People can only speculate and guess. Per attendance percentages, again folks can only speculate. The WDW organization will make all final decisions and inform when they deem necessary. 4. What if you book a trip and the mask mandate has been lifted? If your son is cognizant enough to know about mask policing, what would he do with a no mask mandate? 5. Summer is packed!! One may assume admission numbers will be raised as more folks are vaccinated. 6. I have never bought points so I can't reflect to that question. My responses may not be a lot of help but you are reaching out for a conversation to make decisions on your final direction per travel so I wanted to take a moment to reflect back. I hope you have a good trip.

Why can’t you go by yourself? You‘ve had a tough year, there is nothing wrong with self care (speaking as a mom of 5). There is nothing not fair about taking tie for yourself.

I concur! (I used to work with autistic kids!) there is so much potential to go wrong in the heat and stress of July, that I would go without him. To be brutal, he's 9 and life ISN'T fair. Mom NEEDS a break. You must take care of you.

You sound like the sweetest person and an Amazing mom!
I'm going to be honest tooo... I'm team Go By Yourself!
Tell him its a work trip or something. You so deserve to be able to interact with
and have fun with your old teammates - You'd hate to miss out on that because of a meltdown
after spending all that effort to go! :)
Hugs - and good luck in your decision and planning!

We went last August without our spectrum sons to see if we thought they could handle Disney in the heat and masks ect. We’ve gone late July, early August several times, so the heat and rain didn’t surprise us. I used DAS and One of the great things right now is that since there aren’t people in the fastpass line, once your return time comes up, you pretty much walk straight on. There’s very minimal waits in that Fastpass line and it’s not crowded so much easier to stay distanced. Every spectrum kid is different, so only you know what yours can handle. Both of mine are stim seeking, so Disney is where they are in their element.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter