Jiko or V&A

RookieLady

Mouseketeer
I have a reservation for my anniversary at V&A. I am a little wary of it. My husband will eat anything, but I don't really like seafood. I definitely don't like organ meat. I don't know what half the stuff on the menu means, but I really like good food and good wine. So, since he is always telling me how I never make romantic gestures, I thought I would try it.

After I made the reservation, I am starting to get cold feet. Would I be better off at Jiko where I can clearly see something on the menu I will eat. There is stuff on the V&A menu I will eat, but I would be mortified if they brought a course out that I wouldn't eat.

Thoughts?

When you make your reservation they ask about allergies and preferences, so you can tell them no seafood and no organ meat for yourself.

When you make your reservation they ask about allergies and preferences, so you can tell them no seafood and no organ meat for yourself.

I agree. The sample menus online are just examples - the menu changes daily depending on what's available and can be personalized to your preferences. We've been fortunate to eat at V&A several times, and if V&A is in the budget, I'd choose it for an anniversary dinner or other very special occasion. Not that there's anything wrong with Jiko, but V&A is the best restaurant on Disney property and shouldn't be missed.

I agree, it's very customizable. I'm a vegetarian and they made a whole menu for me with no meat or seafood at all. It was the best meal I've ever had. Also, they told my husband that if there wasn't something on the regular menu that he wanted for a particular course he could choose the vegetarian option for that course if he wanted.

We've eaten at V&A four times, it is a fantastic experience. We often did not know what exactly we were eating, but it was always delicious. I imagine they would be able to customize a menu for you.

Hands down - V&A for an Anniversary.

When you look at any of the menus from V&A, you can mix and match to your preferences. You can even have all desserts.

There is always a Vegetarian menu available and I often chose something from there - in addition to organ meat and seafood.

Of course, as others have said - they will ask about your likes and dislikes even before you arrive.

Matter of fact, because truffles are often available - before we arrived, we requested a warm custard to have those truffles shaved upon.

Hey, truffles ain't organ meat.

Definitely V & A. We went on our honeymoon and we loved it so much we were able to score a Queen Victoria room reservation due to a cancellation for our last day. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Just a word of caution--you can't just go in and say I want a T-bone--or flank steak----or a stuffed pork chop etc etc.

They can only "customize" based on what they have.

Don't go in expecting a meal based on whatever you decide you want---

If you don't like seafood, the meat selections--unless you want to pay even more $$ to "upgrade"--are limited.

When I made our reservations on the phone with V&A QVR for this June, they didn't ask me about allergies and preferences???

I'm allergic to all seafood so they usually either make up a separate menu for me without seafood or let me substitute from the vegetarian menu (which they've always given us in addition to the regular menu) or from one of the other courses. I will say, though, that there are foods (like mushrooms which I hate) that I will eat at V&As but nowhere else. When you get a chef who really knows what he's doing, sometimes foods that you think you wouldn't normally eat can be made delicious.

I've also had them modify courses that would normally have seafood to be non-seafood. Some of my most favourite food memories come from V&A. And not all are exotic - one of the best courses I've ever had there was a cannelloni stuffed with ratatouille. I trust V&A to the point now where, as long as I'm not allergic to it and it's not totally bizarre (like monkey brains or something), I will try whatever they make even if it's an ingredient I don't like or don't know. I've always been pleasantly surprised. I still won't eat mushrooms anywhere but V&A.

I always call about a week beforehand to let them know about my food allergies (they have a separate number to call - you don't call the usual Disney dining number). They've also always called me two days in advance to check that we're still planning to show up and then also ask about food allergies or if it's a special occasion.

They happily explain the menu items if there's something you don't recognize. The bread (which I think comes with pretty much every course - a different one each time) is fantastic. I have to try very hard not to totally fill up on that though it's really hard not to. They have their own pastry chef who makes the bread fresh every day.

BTW, I love Jiko too but it's not even in the same ballpark as V&A for either food or atmosphere or for spending time with your special someone. V&A is really the perfect place for an anniversary.

I have a small list of foods that I try to avoid for personal preference, all seafood included. That said, I've never had a bad TS meal at WDW. There is always something on the menu I can/will try. I have never eaten at V&A, though I understand it's great. We've eaten at Jiko twice for special occasions. We like Jiko for the overall experience and the food is great. Some of it is taste-specific, though. I overheard one person on the elevator complaining about Jiko that the food was awful and they felt it was overpriced. I silently disagreed because I know that it's AFRICAN food...so I'm guessing it was not to this person's taste. As for price...well, you kind of know what you're getting into if it uses two TS credits on a meal plan.

It is not when you make the reservation. About a week in advance of the reservation they will call you and at that time is when they will ask about allergies and/or dislikes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter