Jerk with Full Tripod @ Illuminations ..

I might catch heat for this, but handicap spot viewing should be open to everyone as soon as the show starts. You make it all available for the handicapped people who need special viewing and their immediate friends/family. However if there's open space as the show starts, than there's no reason not to open it up for everyone.
The handicap section has room for wheelchairs 2 deep. Last December, my daughter was in the second row of wheelchairs. Non handicap guests are allowed in the area behind the wheelchairs. (I believe that 1 guest accompanying those in wheelchairs are allowed in the area too). My family stood behind my daughter - all out of the handicap area. Just before Illuminations started, a few guests who were not handicap, nor accompanying someone who was handicap, moved into spaces between the first row and second row of wheelchairs. They did squat down, but they were obstructing the view of those in the second row of wheelchairs. I pointed this out to a CM in the area who first made an announcement of the rules for the area (only the handicap and one guest - it was very crowded that night) and a few minutes later had them move. (Then, when the CM left the area, one of them began an argument with me :) ). Anyway, the point is I respectfully disagree with allowing non-handicap people into the area. The view is almost as good from just behind the wheelchairs.

IN handicap section!!! Nobody in a wheelchair with him, but blocking the view of everyone else!!

Thought this was a prohibited item?

It's a shame the handicap sections aren't handled differently. This really isn't about the tripod. Anyone let into the section can stand in front of those in wheelchairs. My friend took her daughter in a wheelchair to Disney a couple years ago and gave up on the handicap section since someone always seemed to stand right in front of her, with no thought at all about the girl in the wheelchair behind them.

Yes, he could've set up behind the wheel chairs or at the end. He was the ONLY person standing in front. Other guests sat down or stood behind those seated in chairs. No, there wasn't another option. I wanted to see the show, not someone's backside. It's why they have a handicap viewing area.

Why was he allowed to set up there if he wasn't handicapped? Did a cm explain it?

In my last two visits, I didn't notice any actually (though I wasn't looking for them either)
Most CMs in positions to do so, do look for them and inform guests of the policy. Over the last year or so, I can recall only two incidents. Again, the non telescoping sticks are ok.
if people are still sneaking them into the parks it wasn't to the point where they were annoying or even grabbed my attention
Compared to what it was, usage is way down.
you can always ask a CM to intervene, if they don't see it first.
You can, but doesn't it seem that when you need one, there isn't one around.

It's a shame the handicap sections aren't handled differently. This really isn't about the tripod. Anyone let into the section can stand in front of those in wheelchairs. My friend took her daughter in a wheelchair to Disney a couple years ago and gave up on the handicap section since someone always seemed to stand right in front of her, with no thought at all about the girl in the wheelchair behind them.
Terrible some people only care about themselves

Couldn't Disney ban all video recording and photos that don't include family?
I know that sounds crazy, but unless your family is in the picture, there is nothing unique about it. You can find plenty of professionally made, high quality videos of any show, attraction, etc.
Just make a rule that you can't set up any camera or recorder for continued use, especially during any show.

I might catch heat for this, but handicap spot viewing should be open to everyone as soon as the show starts. You make it all available for the handicapped people who need special viewing and their immediate friends/family. However if there's open space as the show starts, than there's no reason not to open it up for everyone.

Um, no. There are TONS of viewing areas for everyone to get a good spot if they are willing. The folks in the wheelchairs also arrive early for their spots knowing that no one is going to come in and block their views ........ they have no options whatsoever, than to stay in their chairs. So to allow a guest that has waited until the last minute to get a spot, only to potentially block their view .... not cool.

FWIW, there are now actually very few selfie sticks in the parks. In my last two visits, I didn't notice any actually (though I wasn't looking for them either). It was only at Disney Springs that I saw any being used, so if people are still sneaking them into the parks it wasn't to the point where they were annoying or even grabbed my attention.

Fewer less, gone no. I go regular enough and in the last year I have spotted multiple every single day, in every single park. Swinging them around. One trip they were using them in Epcot to take selfies of SE right up front, literally feet from the gates, Photopass photographers and many other CMs. No one said boo. It's a black and white rule, enforce it.

I'm not actually sure on the rules of the handicapped section? Is it wheelchairs only or does it include all different disabilities? Just out of curiosity

Wheelchairs only. DS has a DAS card and one time we were in the FP+ area next to it. Many folks started pushing us and we were trapped back by building and he was getting upset. I walked him over to the rope and asked the CM if he were allowed to utilize the space, showing them our DAS (card then). They said no, unless you are in a wheelchair you can no enter since the space is not large enough for demand as it is. As with anything Disney, another CM may give another opinion but I've seen the same repeated on here.

handicap spot viewing should be open to everyone as soon as the show starts. You make it all available for the handicapped people who need special viewing and their immediate friends/family. However if there's open space as the show starts, than there's no reason not to open it up for everyone.
Well, let's see...people are sitting in their wheelchairs in the handicapped section. And you think as soon as the show starts, late arriving able-bodied people should be able to sqeeze in front of them so the people in wheelchairs can't see? Because that's what would happen if you open up the area "for everyone" during the show.

Last edited:
I know that sounds crazy, but unless your family is in the picture, there is nothing unique about it. You can find plenty of professionally made, high quality videos of any show, attraction, etc.
Just make a rule that you can't set up any camera or recorder for continued use, especially during any show.
Why on earth would they do that?

They can ban whatever they want but it wouldn't be very guest friendly. People take videos of rides for multitude of reasons. Some make videoblogs of their trips, which includes clips of shows and rides. Some just want their own personal video even if it's not professionally made. So I don't think you'll ever see this ban happen

This isn't a camera problem, this is a rude person problem.

I have a relatively small tripod that I keep in my bag, and the CM at bag check wouldn't let it in. How did this guy get a tripod in?!

Every single image capture is unique.
I took over 4,000 photos at the parks this weekend and you won't find a single shot that is identical to a shot that I or anyone else has ever taken.

Besides, the camera is not the problem. As has been stated upthread, some guests will do whatever they can to get the best view even if it means blocking others

I'm one of those people who would generally rather experience something than stop to take a photo, but I still see why you would want your own photo/video. You want to document your experience for one, not having to google search for someone else's. A lot of those photos online are copyrighted or have terms of use. People want to use these photos for blogs, scrapbooks, etc. I also have photographer friends with their own style which you're not going to find elsewhere. It would be almost impossible to enforce and at the end of the day it doesn't cause enough of a nuisance to matter. Rude people will find another way to be rude, even if they can no longer hold their iPad high during a parade.

Wheelchairs only. DS has a DAS card and one time we were in the FP+ area next to it. Many folks started pushing us and we were trapped back by building and he was getting upset. I walked him over to the rope and asked the CM if he were allowed to utilize the space, showing them our DAS (card then). They said no, unless you are in a wheelchair you can no enter since the space is not large enough for demand as it is. As with anything Disney, another CM may give another opinion but I've seen the same repeated on here.

It really depends on the CM, like you said. My mother generally walks with a cane. She's been allowed into a handicap area without a wheelchair. It only really makes sense for her to do so if there is a place to sit behind the wheelchairs though, so no one's view is obstructed because she's sitting on a low wall or something. One CM also let us bring two other people with us. We were not told that there was a limit of one guest. It wasn't a busy time, so maybe they were letting whole parties in. We don't do parades frequently, so these could have just been very uncommon occurrences.

Well, let's see...people are sitting in their wheelchairs in the handicapped section. And you think as soon as the show starts, late arriving able-bodied people should be able to sqeeze in front of them so the people in wheelchairs can't see? Because that's what would happen if you open up the area "for everyone" during the show.

No offense, I don't think there are many people that would step over and shove to get in front of say 2 rows of wheelchairs.

I don't know the layout of that area they reserve, but if it's behind some sort of railing, you fill it up with as many ECV's and Wheelchairs that come in, and then you just let people fill in the empty space as the show starts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter