Jerk with Full Tripod @ Illuminations ..

I might catch heat for this, but handicap spot viewing should be open to everyone as soon as the show starts. You make it all available for the handicapped people who need special viewing and their immediate friends/family. However if there's open space as the show starts, than there's no reason not to open it up for everyone.
Can't speak for anywhere else but when I have to do Illuminations (not my favorite show) I get a fp for it. The last 5 times I've done it I stand behind the taped off wheelchair section, as soon as the show starts the CM tells everyone they can fill in the empty space if we want to.
This doesn't mean going in front of the wheelchair guest and party since they have the railing but filling out the empty, unused spots that were held for wheelchairs

I don't think there are many people that would step over and shove to get in front of say 2 rows of wheelchairs.
Yes, they absolutely would get in front. Not actually "shoving", which I never said, but they would step in front of the wheelchairs & block their view. Thoughtless people do that sort of thing all the time at WDW during parades & shows. The OP described how some jerk with a huge tripod was doing it...

Last edited:
No offense, I don't think there are many people that would step over and shove to get in front of say 2 rows of wheelchairs.

I don't know the layout of that area they reserve, but if it's behind some sort of railing, you fill it up with as many ECV's and Wheelchairs that come in, and then you just let people fill in the empty space as the show starts.
I've had people step through my scooter, with me on it, just to get through to the other side.

I've even had people try to do it while in line, to cut in front of me.

I have no doubt that people would step over me and yes, push through, to get a better view of the fireworks.

Most CMs in positions to do so, do look for them and inform guests of the policy. Over the last year or so, I can recall only two incidents. Again, the non telescoping sticks are ok.
Compared to what it was, usage is way down.

Yeah, I really wish I had taken a picture of all the selfie sticks when it was out of hand. You could look out over any busy walkway and there would be a sea of phones on poles everywhere, in every direction. I'm no luddite, but it was really detracting from the theme park experience.

His wife informed everyone..they were there first. Set up in front of wheel chairs and stood sideways blocking the view. Chairs are positioned on the rail at an angle. Didn't appear that anyone in there party was in a chair.
I would have gotten a CM.

No offense, I don't think there are many people that would step over and shove to get in front of say 2 rows of wheelchairs.

Well there are many many folks that have no qualms.

Can't speak for anywhere else but when I have to do Illuminations (not my favorite show) I get a fp for it. The last 5 times I've done it I stand behind the taped off wheelchair section, as soon as the show starts the CM tells everyone they can fill in the empty space if we want to.
This doesn't mean going in front of the wheelchair guest and party since they have the railing but filling out the empty, unused spots that were held for wheelchairs

Are you talking about the FP+ area? Our experience was with the W/C area that is on the west side of the gift shop, where we were told W/C only.

I also note that in MK we used to be welcome in the Handicapped section in Liberty Square for parades. We were told that (1) if it got crowded only one of us could stay with DS (2) we must all be in back rows behind wheelchairs (3) asked to show our DAS over and over as more guests tried to sneak in. It really was a big job for CMs for all the folks ignoring the sign. Once the DAS went on to MagicBands we were no longer welcome without a wheelchair.

I've had people step through my scooter, with me on it, just to get through to the other side.

I have no doubt that people would step over me and yes, push through, to get a better view of the fireworks.

Sadly, not a shock. But step through your wheelchair, hmmm, I won't even type what I would have done.

Yeah, I really wish I had taken a picture of all the selfie sticks when it was out of hand. You could look out over any busy walkway and there would be a sea of phones on poles everywhere, in every direction. I'm no luddite, but it was really detracting from the theme park experience.
If you really wish to see it again, just go to Universal, They are still widely used there. No idea if they have any restrictions or just police it less but we sure see way more there.
I hate the darn things

Well there are many many folks that have no qualms.

Are you talking about the FP+ area? Our experience was with the W/C area that is on the west side of the gift shop, where we were told W/C only.

I also note that in MK we used to be welcome in the Handicapped section in Liberty Square for parades. We were told that (1) if it got crowded only one of us could stay with DS (2) we must all be in back rows behind wheelchairs (3) asked to show our DAS over and over as more guests tried to sneak in. It really was a big job for CMs for all the folks ignoring the sign. Once the DAS went on to MagicBands we were no longer welcome without a wheelchair.

Sadly, not a shock. But step through your wheelchair, hmmm, I won't even type what I would have done.
Yes my only experience has been in the taped off w/c section inside fp location

Ugh. That's awful and I don't doubt it either, having seen horrible behavior at theme parks. It's not that most people are rude. It only takes a few jerks to ruin it, and boy do they stand out (literally) with their selfishness.

If I could counter with a positive story, there was a group of five young military men who were vacationing at Disney on my last visit. They had lined up early for the fireworks and had great spaces toward the front. As the show was starting, a couple of them turned around to check to make sure other people could see too. They offered to let a shorter family go stand in front of them so that the children could watch more easily. After they had moved a bit back and shuffled around, one of them turned back to ask behind a few people, "is that okay? just want to make sure I'm not blocking you." It was a very small thing, but far more thoughtful than most people are. Just thought I'd point out there are also very good people in the world who don't get noticed as much as the jerks do, but have a great impact.

We were behind someone with two selfie sticks in their backpack at Epcot today. The security guard told the man that they weren't allowed, and he could take them back to the car or they could "dispose of them" for him -- or he could take them to the gift shop and have them hold the selfie sticks for him. Naturally, he picked the gift shop option, and I can assure you that he did not take them to the gift shop. He just put them back in his backpack and went on his way. I'm not sure what the purpose of the ban is if they just rely on the honor system....

Sorry to hear that, guess parents aren't doing a decent job of instilling manners and common sense into their children.

Last time I went to WDW solo, I was taking a break in one of the Main St side streets sitting on a bench, and these two ladies, I'd guess one was in her 30s the other in her 50s or so were eating their Mickey Bar icecream and one of them sat on the bench next to me. I instinctively get up and offer my seat to the older lady and she nearly fell over in shock. She said she hasn't had anybody offer her their seat for her in their entire trip down at Disney told me to sit down and that her and her daughter can squish together and we all can sit on the bench together. We ended up having a lovely discussion before I had to leave for one of my FP+ reservations, but I don't know. It's just the way I was raised to treat others how I would like to be treated, so I have a hard time picturing anyone squeezing their way in front of someone in a wheelchair trying to see a parade/show/fireworks/etc.

I don't know the layout of that area they reserve, but if it's behind some sort of railing, you fill it up with as many ECV's and Wheelchairs that come in, and then you just let people fill in the empty space as the show starts.

You are far too generous, and grossly underestimate people.

As this thread pushes on, it's turning into more of....

This guy paid "XXXX.XX" amount of money to go to Disney, so he was gonna do what he wanted.

That said, I'm a tripod carrier. I only have it with me when I'm going to shoot fireworks. I've NEVER had an issue with going through security with it, and I'm always conscious of where I'm setting up to not impede others.

As for the discussion about how people will act? C'mon, like we haven't seen people in Epcot try to crash a wedding party that's roped off at the Italy pavilion.

Wow! Some people are just ridiculous!!
I'm sorry that happened to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter