• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jedi Academy - Tips & Highlights

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry you had a frustrating day. Which side did the CM choose from?

Looking at the stage from the audience, the right side.

The day was far from a wash. We rode buzz lighthearted twice and star tours via fastpass twice, had a surprisingly nice lunch at RFC, picked up some lightsaber souvenirs, and did a character dinner at Goofy's Kitchen. He said it was the best day he ever had (I teared up!). Star Tours is the only ride I can remember that has made me grin like a child; some of that Disney magic at work. A bit frustrating, but overwhelmingly still a good day. :)

I also want to thank you for sharing, especially since so many people (plus my own observation at the park) really make it feel like having a sign is the next best thing to a guarantee. We'll still make one, as well as have the kids in their SW shirts, but I will do my best to get them and me to remember we might not get chosen.

My DS9 and DS3 are both huge Star Wars fans. I would hate to have the older one picked and the younger one left at the curb for the Jedi training. DS3 has a lot of energy and he is not afraid of anything (that's a good thing and a bad thing). He had no problem walking up to Darth Vader at a recent minor league baseball game. He also can be highly motivated to follow directions when he is interested in the activities. I was planning on having him wear his Darth Vader shirt which says "You Don't Want to See My Dark Side." ;)

My DS9 and DS3 are both huge Star Wars fans. I would hate to have the older one picked and the younger one left at the curb for the Jedi training. DS3 has a lot of energy and he is not afraid of anything (that's a good thing and a bad thing). He had no problem walking up to Darth Vader at a recent minor league baseball game. He also can be highly motivated to follow directions when he is interested in the activities. I was planning on having him wear his Darth Vader shirt which says "You Don't Want to See My Dark Side." ;)
It is extremely rare they will pick on that young. My cousin's 2 almost 3yo was picked, but it was a very unique situation. I would not count on his being picked, and prepare him that he may not be picked.

And to further clarify, when the Master's assistants come out, they talk with the kids and get an idea on who can handle it and who might not be able to. So, if your 3yo is out there, and wanting to participate, make sure he knows to follow the directions PRIOR to the show, and make sure he can do it on his own. They want to see him participate without turning to mom or dad each time they say something.

Do they ever pick kids who do not have Star Wars shirts, signs, or any other kind of Star Wars gear on?

My 12 year old son was picked. We got there about 35 mins before the show and he got a very end spot at the front (left hand side as you face the show).

He was wearing a Star Wars shirt and his Ewok beanie (hat). I was worried he was a bit old. He was one of the last picked.

He had a great time. I know the stress of worrying if they will get picked though.

Do they ever pick kids who do not have Star Wars shirts, signs, or any other kind of Star Wars gear on?

Yes, more than half the kids I saw chosen were NOT in any gear (like 80%+), and only one child had a sign (and yes, he was picked, early on, too).

I also saw quite a few young young kids, like definitely no older than 4yo, and they really looked like 3yo to me. I figured they always chose at least one tiny one who gets special attention as the last one to fight Darth Vader up on stage because it gets such an enthusiastic rise from the crowd when the little one defeats Vader. It might just be very dependent on who is the MC.

Yes, more than half the kids I saw chosen were NOT in any gear (like 80%+), and only one child had a sign (and yes, he was picked, early on, too).

I also saw quite a few young young kids, like definitely no older than 4yo, and they really looked like 3yo to me. I figured they always chose at least one tiny one who gets special attention as the last one to fight Darth Vader up on stage because it gets such an enthusiastic rise from the crowd when the little one defeats Vader. It might just be very dependent on who is the MC.

That's what I thought about my DS3 having a shot of getting picked. I will have to prep him a little but he can do it as he does very well in karate following directions. Thanks.

Here's our experience with the Jedi Training Academy.

We got there at 3:00pm for the 3:30pm show. We sat just behind the front line (that they tell you not to cross) on the left side. Most of the people who got there before us were on the right side. I had done DD6's hair in Princess Leia buns and put on her birthday button. We didn't bother with a sign, and I didn't see a single sign in the crowd. Apparently you have to be between 4 and 12 years old to participate, so we told DS3 that he will get to watch the show but he is too young to be chosen. So, he didn't stand up, but several of the kids chosen looked younger than him. One boy was so little that the Jedi Master mentioned "better hold the light saber a little higher. You won't be fighting ewoks."

DD6 stood up when they asked everyone who wanted to be a Jedi, and she waved her arms. She was the 3rd child chosen. Most of the girls who volunteered were picked.

When she was chosen, they gave her a robe and showed her where to stand. She got to go up on the stage (because she's so cute!?)

They showed them how to activate the light saber and practiced all of the moves. The Jedi Masters had to help her activate her light saber the first time because it was tricky.

They practiced for a while, then the storm troopers came out and they gathered up all the kids. Then the stage opened up and Darth Vader appeared. Then Darth Maul came out and showed off his moves. They tried to get the kids to join the dark side, but none of them would. Then the kids got to fight them. Darth Vader was on the stage and Darth Maul was on the ground level, so 2 children get to fight at a time with a Jedi Master helping them.

DD was the first child and she got to fight Darth Vader (again, because she's so cute!)

After every child had a turn, Darth Vader and Darth Maul went away, defeated. They brought up all of the children on the stage and presented them with a certificate. The children came back to us - they stressed that the parents stay where they are and have the kids go back to the parents.

I didn't know this, but there was a photo pass photographer. I found this out later by talking to a parent in a line up. So, the next day I went to the photo shop and got all of the pictures added onto out PP+.

Rubygoose - what a fantastic experience for your cute daughter

my DS who is 8 is super keen to get picked.
I have warmed him that he may not get chosen but that we will try a few times for him.

im keeping everything crossed for him.

Sorry this is alittle late but we went in April 2013 and both my son and daughter were picked :cool1: They loved it we have great pictures and there was a photopass photographer there. We arrived early sat in the front both DS and DD had signs. DS sign said its my first trip please pick me since the force in strong in me. and DD said I may be to small to be a stormtrooper but not for a Jedi please pick me. When it was time to be chosen kids raised their hands and were excited and DH and I kept pointing to our kids and saying the Force is Strong. Both were picked. We noticed all kids with signs were picked. It was great, I think just as exciting for my husband and I as for them. Good Luck

Just be aware that a sign is no guarantee. Of our three kids, our youngest had a sign, a t-shirt, and was jumping (without being wild & crazy). He did everything 'right', but was not selected. My older daughters were both chosen. He is 4 1/2, but small. Perhaps he didn't get chosen because they can't choose them all, or perhaps he looked a bit too young to make the cut. We prepped him for the possibility, and while disappointed in the moment, he is perfectly happy to play with a light saber at home - no harm done!

I am recently back from DL and our signs got confiscated at security. Because of issues with protests, there is a strict policy of nothing bigger than an 8 by 11 peice of paper.

I am recently back from DL and our signs got confiscated at security. Because of issues with protests, there is a strict policy of nothing bigger than an 8 by 11 peice of paper.

I think 8.5x11 is standard size allowed. Folks need to make signs which fold up into 8.5x11.

:wizard:

They didn't care how small it could be folded. They said no signs bigger than a peice of paper.

Hmmm. My kids had an issue with this once and talked their way through although it was not for JTA.

Maybe cut the sign into pieces and bring some tape? I know it is too late for you and you were giving a helpful heads up to others. But maybe others can use this technique?

:wizard:

We used a plain file folder (letter size), decorated the inside and used the folder to hold receipts and various papers inside our backpack until we used the folder/poster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter