• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jedi Academy - Tips & Highlights

Do they take everyone at WDW?

I think its part of life, to learn to handle disappointments. We've taken many kids, we show them how to be excited and show the Master they want to be part of it. We've done signs, we've done clothing, and we've made sure the kids know they may not be picked, but we can always try again later.

At WDW you have to sign up ahead of time. An adult and the child participating need to go to the sign up location and they will give you a slip with your showtime. We went during a Star Wars weekend and it was very crowded and they slots filled up quickly. Not sure how soon it fills up on a non Star Wars weekend.

I just wanted to bump this thread up as I found it so useful for our recent trip and I had to go back so far to find it. My kid was picked the first time we tried and there were a ton of kids there!

I just wanted to bump this thread up as I found it so useful for our recent trip and I had to go back so far to find it. My kid was picked the first time we tried and there were a ton of kids there!

Yeah, I found it very useful too! DD5 and I went twice while we were there a couple of weeks ago, and she managed to get picked both times. She was a little disappointed that she never got to fight Darth Maul, but that just gives us something to look forward to next time. I think the show had a huge impact on her-- apparently she created a game for all of her friends at school to play at recess today called 'Come to the Dark Side' and she was Darth Vader running around in her Vader Mickey ears trying to catch everybody. :)

Hi. Does anyone know if a very tall 9 year old would definately have to fight Darth Maul, or is there a way to ask to fight Darth Vader if he was picked.

I hear the younger kids generally fight Darth Vader and the older ones Darth Maul.

My 9 year old is a bit of a chicken and thinks Drth Maul is too scary!

Not sure how soon it fills up on a non Star Wars weekend.

Depends
We went three times. The first two we got there about 30-45 mins after park opening and the only time slot was the last show of the day and no slots
The third time we got there at opening and basically no one went to sign up, later at our show time I heard a cm tell someone the next opening was in the show after ours

Thanks for all the great information!! My 5 year old daughter is OBSESSED with Star Wars and we are going to Disneyland next week. The Jedi Training is at the top of her list and now I know to make a sign and have her wear her Princess Leia Angry Birds Star Wars T-shirt. I hope she gets picked!

Hi. Does anyone know if a very tall 9 year old would definately have to fight Darth Maul, or is there a way to ask to fight Darth Vader if he was picked.

I hear the younger kids generally fight Darth Vader and the older ones Darth Maul.

My 9 year old is a bit of a chicken and thinks Drth Maul is too scary!
They divide them by height, the tallest 15 or so fight Maul, the shorter 15 fight Vader. Perhaps if your son tells them he doesn't want to fight Maul, they might move him.

So how do they pick kids, just randomly? Should you be there earlier to get chosen? Thx

They divide them by height, the tallest 15 or so fight Maul, the shorter 15 fight Vader. Perhaps if your son tells them he doesn't want to fight Maul, they might move him.

Thanks Malcolm. Maybe if he watches his brother first, he might decide to do it another time.

Fingers crossed for JTA next Tuesday next.
We've made our signs and the grandkids are ready!

I'll try to post a few pictures once we return.

We were there the first week of feb DD5 got picked. I had put her hair up in Princess Leia buns. We got there a few minutes before show started and was off the the side. She jumped up and down and got picked almost right away. She's tall for her age and got to fight Darth Maul which she loved. She loves his double light saber! She's a tough cookie and nothing scares her so no worries there! It was a blast seeing her up there. And at the end they give you a photopass of the event. You just need to delete about a 100 pics of not your kid but soooo worth it. It was one of the high lights of our trip!

We were there last week and followed the advice here and my son (6) got picked! He is a little short for his age, but we brought a bright yellow sign (regular paper size) and came about 5 minutes before the show started and sent him to sit in an empty place in front. He got picked and got to fight Darth Vader and LOVED it all! (Even though it was over 90º at that point I think!)

My DS5 got picked yesterday morning. It was a blast! He had so much fun. We arrived early, sat right up in front, had him in a darts fader tshirt, didn't bother with any signs, my DH who was sitting next to him had a Jedi training academy tshirt on, DS jumped up and down made a lot of noise, and was one of the first kids picked. He was the first to battle Vadar! I don't know of this has been mentioned in this thread, but a friend tipped me off that before any kids are picked, the CMs sort of test all the kids to see which ones will be able to follow instructions and be good listeners, so we had warned my son about that before it started.

Bumping this to add my experience.

I read this entire thread before coming to DL. I read repeatedly in the thread that "I've never heard of a kid with a sign not getting picked" so I felt confident about our chances. We followed the tips given (bright orange shirt, clear star-warsy sign, lots of jumping and controlled enthusiasm). My son had his heart set on doing this particular thing.

We ended up spending the entire day in Tomorrowland and not seeing any of the rest of the park, because he kept getting passed up despite there not being many signs, costumes, or star wars shirts in the audience. By the third show, he was so incredibly sad and told the kids next to him "I never get picked" that it just broke my heart. He finally got chosen for the last show and was hugely excited, but I feel it's important for parents to realize that "having a sign will get your kid picked" (kind of the tone of the thread) won't necessarily work and ultimately you may have to deal with some major disappointment and wasted hours. The show is fun even if your kid isn't in it, so it's worth going, but temper expectations.

The Jedi master CM today seemed to pick primarily from one side on the audience (we sat on the wrong side twice) and there was no apparent rhyme or reason to his choices. There were handicapped kids in each audience and they obviously got picked, but otherwise, it was a total crapshoot. I think we lucked out at the last showing just because it was a schedule conflict with the parade and there wasn't half the audience they had at other times.

I would recommend skipping the parade in the afternoon if you want to maximize your chances of getting your child in, if they really have their heart set on it. The show is entertaining the first time, but by the fourth viewing in one day, all the jokes were groan-worthy.

The Jedi master CM today seemed to pick primarily from one side on the audience (we sat on the wrong side twice) and there was no apparent rhyme or reason to his choices.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry you had a frustrating day. Which side did the CM choose from?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter