jasonandlisa's PJ -- 9/2/07 UK Pavilion/LS -- DPS pics added!!

A little welcome gifts update:

My parents and brother helped me put together all the welcome gifts last week when I was home in NJ. My mom had the good idea of putting all the (cardboard) boxes into plastic bags, in case of rain. Also, she grouped them so that each family/room has its own bag and labeled them with the name of the resort, to make it easier to unload them at the resorts next week. Here's part of the finished pile:
P1010017.jpg

For tags, I used self-laminating sleeves and blue ribbon. Here's a pic:
P1010024.jpg

My wedding planner gave me a good tip about what to put on them. Underneath the guest reservation info. (on the back of the tag), I wrote:
"If this gift cannot be delivered by 9/2/07, please call Lisa at my-cell-number."
That way, we'll at least know if guests didn't get them. Without that, they'd just go into a lost-and-found room, never to be seen again...

Another thing we did was create custom door hangers for each guest room. DF created a monogram with our initials intertwined and two little blue flowers. Here's what the door hanger looks like:
P1010019-2.jpg

Here's DF hard at work this past weekend:
P1010016-2.jpg

He used a wood-burner to trace each design, then stained the hanger and used paint markers to color it. (And glitter glue for the diamond at the top.) Here's the stack of unfinished hangers behind one finished one:
P1010020-1.jpg

We only ended up needing 40 hangers, so we still have extras. DF says his aunt does a lot of crafts, so we'll probably just give them to her. They were pretty cheap, since we bought them in bulk. One last pic:
P1010015-2.jpg

We put the hangers in manila envelopes, along with our welcome letter and itinerary. One per family instead of one per person (like the welcome boxes.)

Lisa...I have found/read your PJ while here at work. :ssst: What happened with your dress when you went to get it?:confused3 Do you have pics??? I hope it all worked out! 6 more days! Bet you're excited! :banana: Hope your wedding is everything you've dreamed it to be! :bride:

DisneyObsession, the dress is fine now. Thanks for asking! The whole alterations process ended up being pretty comical...

At the start of the second fitting, I told the seamstress I had a strapless bra this time and that maybe that would help with the gapping. She agreed and asked what I had been wearing last time. Funny thing #1: she had NO idea that I had been topless underneath last time! You would think that she would have needed to know a detail like that at the first fitting... :confused3

Well, the strapless bra helped a little but didn't fix it completely AND the back was too low, so you could see the bra strap. So then I asked about having cups sewn in. She asked my bra size and when I told her 32B, she said Funny thing #2: "well, no wonder it's gapping. It's cut for a C cup!" Again, something that perhaps should have come up at the first fitting... :sad1:

Now the cups really did make a difference and made the top look soooo much better. Not completely perfect yet but getting there (and certainly good enough for me to not be at all upset about it anymore. :woohoo: )

Then she started working on the bustle and making sure the bottom hem was even. The hem was good, and she decided the bustle just needed to be raised a little:
P1010013.jpg

Now, throughout this whole fitting, she keeps disappearing abruptly. Sometimes it was to help these two old ladies who are also dress shopping at the same time. But most of the time I have no idea where she was. Very scatterbrained... We'd discuss one thing and then she'd go away and not come back for several minutes. It was very strange.

When I got her back to looking at the top again, I tried to explain how it just didn't feel fitted enough. She was firm in her opinion that it didn't need to be taken in at all. But as I continued fidgiting and pulling on it, she suddenly realized Funny thing #3: that obviously, it needed a couple little tucks at the sides of the top. It was like she knew that all along but was only just telling me. She also suggested a couple little tucks in the place where the gapping was taking place. (I hadn't even known that type of alteration was possible; otherwise, I might have requested it from the start...) Here's a picture of me fidgeting with the top:
MVI_0182.jpg

The cups have been inserted by this point, but not sewn in. They made a big difference (at least to my eye)!

Now I never got a straight answer out of her, but I also think she may have shortened the bodice a little when she shortened the length. Because of the scalloped edge, she said something about making the adjustment at the waist instead of at the bottom. Whatever she did, it made the top feel much more "right" than it did before. And the edge was no longer rubbing up against my under-arms at all:
MVI_0184.jpg

So then finally I feel like we've made progress, so I go to change out of the dress. The seamstress unzips it for me and spots the elastic band that's there to hold up the dress. She says Funny thing #4: did you lose a lot of weight??? (As in, did I lose multiple inches of weight in the last 4 weeks?!) Well, no. I'm exactly the same. Apparently, the elastic is like 3-4 inches too long and it's not doing anything at all. She pulls it tighter to show me the difference and yes, it's a world of difference. All of a sudden, the dress is snug and tight, just as it should be. Again, something that should have been noticed at the first fitting!

As I'm changing out of the dress, I say to my mom that I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the seamstress wrote all this down. Well, my mom (ever the practical one) asked me if I had pen and paper (which I did) and just wrote down the list herself as I dictated it to her. My mom was also good about tactfully handing the list to the seamstress in a way that doesn't seem at all condescending.

So, then Funny thing #5 happens. The seamstress is reading over the list and says, "oh, I totally forgot about the little tucks." Literally, it just slipped her mind in the 2-3 minutes it took me to slip out of the dress. So I was really, really glad I had my mom write that note!! Here are some more pics from that second fitting:

P1010015-1.jpg

(excuse the odd face I'm making in this one!)

Much, much happier at this fitting!!
P1010007.jpg

P1010005-1.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera at the third/final fitting. (I also forgot my shoes :rolleyes1 ) But everything was fine that time, and the dress is now hanging safely at home at my parents' house, ready for its big trip down to Orlando in a few days!!!

Glad the whole dress thing worked out. You look wonderful in it.

Looking forward to reading more.

Linda

Your dress is amazing and I have loved reading your PJ. I am so happy for you that your big day is coming up soon!! Keep up the great updates!!

Your boxes are sooooo great! Very creative!

Thank you both!! I feel silly now that I got so worked up about my dress after the first fitting. But I guess it's pretty normal to have a "bridal meltdown" now and then ;)

You look so beautiful in your dress!!!! I agree that adding the cups to it made a difference. I also have a strapless dress with scalloped edges and as much as I would love to be able to go braless, I just can't. I am a 34B as well and I am having cups sewn into my dress. My seamstress also suggested that I purchase double sided dress tape and put it at the top of my dress to insure that scalloped edges stay up. Again I must say that you look beautiful in your dress!!!

You look so beautiful in your dress!!!! I agree that adding the cups to it made a difference. I also have a strapless dress with scalloped edges and as much as I would love to be able to go braless, I just can't. I am a 34B as well and I am having cups sewn into my dress. My seamstress also suggested that I purchase double sided dress tape and put it at the top of my dress to insure that scalloped edges stay up. Again I must say that you look beautiful in your dress!!!

Thank you!! It's so sweet of you to say. My scalloped edges seem to be staying up. Hopefully it won't be an issue...

Your dress looks fantastic and your bussel looks great too. I just hope I know what to do when I go in for my fitting and busselling. LOL And I think all brides have a little flip out about their dress! I know I wanted to change my dress about a month and a half ago.. But then I tried on my dress again and it brought me back to my sense.. Sometimes we just need a good friend to talk us through our stressed out times! I am glad the dress is fitting better and the top looks much more fitted to you! I love the lace overlay! You did a great job on choosing your dress! I hope you have a blast in Disney and have a great wedding. Your seating planning was very creative! You should frame that EPCOT drawing that they sent you of the seating plan! That is pretty neat!

I am so glad to hear you feel better about the dress! :thumbsup2 It is beautiful on you and seems perfect for you!

Amazing how "airheaded" some seamstresses can be! You'd think she would have written everything down in order to remember them! Good thing you and Mom are "on the ball"! :cool1:

i just looked on your pj again with my df and i said, "oh my god, mark, they're getting married TOMORROW!!!" congratulations! i can't wait to see your pics!!!:cheer2:

Congratulations!!!! I hope your wedding was fantastic and I bet you made a beautiful bride!!! Enjoy yourself and I can not wait for the TR!!! Have fun!

Congratulations Lisa...I know that everything went beautifully!

Now we will all wait for the post wedding TR and pictures of course!!

IloveChip, DisneyObsession -- Thank you for your sweet comments on my dress!

caryndisneydiva, miranda1979, BaBeeCee14, hmgolden, angel*lady, Iluffyou, IloveChip, and duchess_tisha - Thank you so much for your wedding wishes and congratulations!!

DPS told me my professional pics would be online starting 2 weeks after my wedding--only 5 more days now!! Also, I'm still trying to gather photos from friends and family. But then I'll start a TR... my first ever... so I hope it's not too boring. I'm not nearly as good as some DISers about taking pictures of all the food and key moments, but I'll do my best to describe the details :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter