• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jan 19, 2019 - The day the magic died

Until the resorts start expiring. Even without Riviera and Reflections, if they decided to start this new resale rule when they repackaged the expiring resorts, it would have the same impact on the later resorts in their later years. For example, in the last few years of my CCV contract, I would only have Poly and VGF available in the pool if the others were taken out once they expired.

But that's the part I'm missing I guess. Without new these new resorts, what would the effect (new rule) be?

But that's the part I'm missing I guess. Without new these new resorts, what would the effect (new rule) be?

It is said that starting Riviera resale buyers will only have access to Riviera. They won't be able to use their points at the original resorts. If this is the new way forward, they could do this with all new resorts (which would include the original resorts once they expire and are resold).

It is said that starting Riviera resale buyers will only have access to Riviera. They won't be able to use their points at the original resorts. If this is the new way forward, they could do this with all new resorts (which would include the original resorts once they expire and are resold).

I get that. I'm saying/asking "IF" they had stopped building new DVC Resorts after CCV, none of the "new rules" would be relevant, or would they?

In other words, what affect do the "new rules" have on us old timers in the system currently?

In other words, what affect do the "new rules" have on us old timers in the system currently?
None. In the future, however, should you wish to purchase a new resort be it Riviera, Reflections, The Marveltonian (I made that one up but it's possible!), or whatever, it appears that you would have to buy knowing that if you ever DID want to sell, the resale buyer would ONLY be able to reserve at that resort. I'm sure for many, that won't factor into their decisions to buy. I'm equally certain many of those who do so will wind up regretting this restriction when they decide to sell for whatever reason. That's all. ;)

That's what I was thinking. Not sure what the big deal is then.

As a matter of fact, building more Resorts it appears we can even use those if we want. Which makes our ownership even more impressive.

I remember reading discussions on here that DVC 2 was inevitable, and the older resorts would not be included. I think it started around BLT or AKV, and then with GF and POLY.

Still hasn't happened.

In the future, however, should you wish to purchase a new resort be it Riviera, Reflections, The Marveltonian (I made that one up but it's possible!), or whatever, it appears that you would have to buy knowing that if you ever DID want to sell, the resale buyer would ONLY be able to reserve at that resort. I'm sure for many, that won't factor into their decisions to buy. I'm equally certain many of those who do so will wind up regretting this restriction when they decide to sell for whatever reason. That's all. ;)

Eh not a concern here. No new Resorts will surpass BCV and BWV IMO, heck not even BLT, POLY or GFV, (and I will take WLV over Reflections any day). Location is the point IMO.

Last edited:
None. In the future, however, should you wish to purchase a new resort be it Riviera, Reflections, The Marveltonian (I made that one up but it's possible!), or whatever, it appears that you would have to buy knowing that if you ever DID want to sell, the resale buyer would ONLY be able to reserve at that resort. I'm sure for many, that won't factor into their decisions to buy. I'm equally certain many of those who do so will wind up regretting this restriction when they decide to sell for whatever reason. That's all. ;)

It effectively will kill the whole "my DVC contract is worth as much as I paid for it or more" arguments on the new contracts at the new resorts......

While I probably won’t be buying into the new DVC Resorts, I get to spend 2 weeks a year with my family at the Poly or BLT (or 12 other pretty cool resorts) for the next 30-40+ years. Sure I pay maintenance fees, but we’ll experience plenty of magic and memories I’m sure.

I am not convinced it is that dire for direct or re-sale owners at the current resorts. Both still get to use their points at the 14 current resorts which are amazing places to stay in prime locations. Of course, if you are direct owner you will also get to use your points at the new resorts. So the only downside is for new resale owners at the current resorts, who will not be able to use those points at the new resorts. That is not terrible at all.

The folks I feel are getting a bad deal here will be the purchasers of the new resorts where a resale purchaser only get to use their points at that resort. This will obviously impact the price those purchasers are willing to pay for their resale contract. As a result, the resale value of the direct contracts at the new resorts are going to be severely impacted.

It effectively will kill the whole "my DVC contract is worth as much as I paid for it or more" arguments on the new contracts at the new resorts......

Yep agreed on "new contracts at the new resorts".

What's most interesting to me, was the whole Rivera will be a moderate location failure type expansion-meaning it may have trouble selling etc.

Now they shoot themselves in the foot even further with this resale stipulation.

I'm on record that keeping resale value in mind is important (even if you ultimately never sell), so an add on here for me just went out the window, probably not alone.

Will be glad to stay on points to try it though.

We're huge Disney fans; however, like any business, we've never lost sight of what we are to them. A giant dollar sign. We read the contract and knew all the rules when we signed away our money. Over the years we tried to find ways to cut spending. It was within our right to do. Just as its within Disney's rights to change things to help themselves and increase profits. As long as there are mutual benefits there is value in it. when that stops then we move on. Disney has given us amazing vacations with our family. Thats what we invested in and thats what we got out of it.

To us this changes nothing. Whoever buys in to the new resorts should know the rules if they feel its worth it with the rules in place then who are we to tell them its not worth it.

I dont play the petty game of turning people off disney because i dont like the rules anymore. When we tell others we tell them all sides. the good the bad. Who am i to deny another family the potential for an amazing experience for them because churros have doubled in price or they changed the noodles at my favourite restaurant.

From the time Disneyland opened there have been groups of people that have always believed its nothing but a money grubbing corporation. Theres many here that ignored it and spent decades going but now decide to see it differently for whatever reason. Disney has never changed just depends on who you ask

Frozen came out while our kids were young. Its a great movie, but when weve seen it and heard the songs for hours on end it lessens the popularity. I cant watch it now. Doesnt change the fact that its still a great movie to us. We just need some time apart :D

We still love disney. We will still continue to go. The number of trips will lessen due to many factors but it still is what it is. A money grubbing corporate machine who gives my family a wonderful escape from reality and to spend time together in the warm florida sun. Its mutually beneficial.

Beginning January 19, anybody who purchases a resale contract for one of the 14 original Disney Vacation Club resorts will be limited to staying at those resorts.

I to am really surprised by this. I would even bet that most of the people behind this are DVC owners too. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

Everyone has always said how amazing DVC is. Glad I didn't listen since it really looks like its going down the tubes as of late.

Actually, the reality is that you probably SHOULD have listened before -- because then you'd own at a location that can continue to be used at any of the locations including the new/upcoming ones.

So, it's fine that you didn't listen -- but those that did listen are actually still in a good spot right now.

I dont play the petty game of turning people off disney because i dont like the rules anymore. When we tell others we tell them all sides. the good the bad. Who am i to deny another family the potential for an amazing experience for them because churros have doubled in price or they changed the noodles at my favourite restaurant.

But it's not petty to discourage people who are on the fence about going to Disney in the first place. When a friend who I know hates crowds and prefers relaxing beach vacations asked me whether it was worth it for them to still go to Disney (because I had always told them they needed to go when their kids got older), I had to honestly tell them no now. I know this family well enough that I know they would hate it now and blame me for encouraging them go. I still help those families who really want to go, I just no longer push it on people who never had an interest or only were mildly interested.

So I'm wondering what this will do to resale prices. If anyone wants to sell their points at, say, BCV or BLT, what will they get? I'm really concerned about the value of our points.

DVC just destroyed the resale value of everyone's contract who doesn't hold it till the contract expires.

Correction: They have destroyed the resale value of everyone's contract THAT PURCHASE RIVIERA OR ANY OTHER FUTURE LOCATION who doesn't hold it till the contract expires.

They haven't destroyed any significant resale value of existing contracts since they can still be used anywhere. And they probably haven't hurt the resale value of Original14 contracts since they can still be used at the Original14 locations. I don't see their value dropping much because of this.

Since the average owner holds their contract for 8-10 years, I think it is safe to say that they have F***** over their customers (direct and resale). Most customers though are too ****** to figure this out.

If you mean just for future Riviera and other new direct buyers, I agree.

I wouldn't get into business with someone that follows that last approach, and I'm afraid that DVC has turned into that creature.

That may be the case. I think if they could stop the resale of the Original14, they would -- they just can't find a legal way to do it. I'm still buying in, but I agree that they may be that creature. :)

- John...

So I'm wondering what this will do to resale prices. If anyone wants to sell their points at, say, BCV or BLT, what will they get? I'm really concerned about the value of our points.

They will get the same thing that they expected to get, say, a year ago before Riviera was worried about -- access to the original 14 locations. Therefore, I don't expect this to significantly affect the resale value of, say, BCV or BLT at all.

Dumb question...for those of us who own points prior to this day and purchase down the road after 1/19...can't (or couldn't) we just transfer the "new" points to our "old" contract and use "ALL" of the resorts? Just thinking....

I’m concerned about it becoming even harder to book in the existing 14 resorts- What happens down the road when people buy direct Riviera (and get to use those points at all resorts) and people buy resale old resorts (and can’t use them at Riviera)? - won’t it create a point imbalance if someone that bought Riviera uses points to stay at an old resort but there are new resale owners that can’t trade into Riviera? Arent there more points potentially coming out of Riviera than there are going into the combined old 14? Do I not need to be concerned about this?

I’m concerned about it becoming even harder to book in the existing 14 resorts- What happens down the road when people buy direct Riviera (and get to use those points at all resorts) and people buy resale old resorts (and can’t use them at Riviera)? - won’t it create a point imbalance if someone that bought Riviera uses points to stay at an old resort but there are new resale owners that can’t trade into Riviera? Arent there more points potentially coming out of Riviera than there are going into the combined old 14? Do I not need to be concerned about this?
Agreed it could be a problem. That is why the 7-11 home priority will be very important for you to grab. Hopefully Disney has something up their sleeves to limit Riviera Direct purchasers (assuming no one sells there) from flooding the legacy resorts assuming most are no longer grand fathered. That would be the worse case scenario.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter