Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

In February, the bus ride from POP to MK was exactly 30mins. I’m estimating the bus ride to be at least 40 mins from AKL.

We’re going into this trip knowing every bus ride will be longer. This is the reason we’ve never stayed at AKL before. I joke it’s located in Georgia! :) After 20 years of visiting WDW, we’re looking forward to experiencing a new resort. We’re ok with the distance, but well aware of it
I think it's important to set your expectations on the low side then you can be happy when it takes less time! We are staying AKL for the first time the mon and Tues after Thanksgiving. Planning on resort time, lots of meals, and evening at AK the first day and morning at AK the second day. That Sense of Africa tour sounds really awesome...too bad it doesn't work out with our dates without messing up all our ADRs.

It might be 5-10 minutes longer than the other resorts due to the distance. We have not had issues with the buses in terms of being available. For our two stays we found them better than POR (x2), BC and Poly in terms of availability. However, that can very much be the luck of the draw.
How were the morning rushes? How often would you have to wait for the bus?

We are at 21....and the kids still do not know that we are going....mwahahaha.....

Lol Tried that last year didn't workout too well for me but this year they know we are going to Disney but they don't know which resorts we are staying. They do know it was none of the ones from last year so they were disappointed they couldn't get into the POP pool but I know they will love the AKl Jambo pool.

Lol Tried that last year didn't workout too well for me but this year they know we are going to Disney but they don't know which resorts we are staying. They do know it was none of the ones from last year so they were disappointed they couldn't get into the POP pool but I know they will love the AKl Jambo pool.

We are usually stay at the Poly or Contemporary, but after three years, we have decided to mix it up a bit and try AKL. It is a resort that the girls have really been dying to try, as we love the resort restaurants and AK.

How were the morning rushes? How often would you have to wait for the bus?

We went in Feb 2017 and Nov 2015. About 4-6 /10 crowd days. I don’t recall a morning rush. We always rope dropped without issue. Waited 2-10 minutes for a bus typically. I was quite happy especially the Feb trip. Others have more frequent and recent experiences.

Last edited:
Hi all!

Just got notified that we have been moved to AKL from POR... I am happy we have gotten a free upgrade but also nervous as it looks much bigger than FQ. Where is a good location if we don’t want to be too far from the transport/lobby?
congrats on the pixie dust.!!!!! Just call in your request have it noted on your reservation near transportation/ lobby. When are you going?

Hi all!

Just got notified that we have been moved to AKL from POR... I am happy we have gotten a free upgrade but also nervous as it looks much bigger than FQ. Where is a good location if we don’t want to be too far from the transport/lobby?
I have stayed one time at POFQ (albeit many years ago) and at AKL several times, IMO AKL actually involves less walking to the amenities than POFQ depending on where your room is located. All of the rooms in AKL Jambo are in the same building - so even though the furthest rooms at the end of the halls (called 'trails' at AKL) are further from the buses and the Mara (QS restaurant) and pool than the rooms closer to the lobby, your walk will be inside v. the outdoor walks from the room buildings to the lobby at POFQ.
Here's a link to the AKL Jambo resort map http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/aklmap.htm
Notice that most of the venues you'll visit, such as the store, the pool and the Mara are on the Zebra/Giraffe trail side of the building. The bus stops are also on that side just beyond the end of Giraffe trail. Typically you'll walk through the store to get to the bus stops, or if it's closed through the front door of the lobby and then down a covered walkway on the left front of the building. The elevators aren't right at the lobby, they are just a bit down the trails and on the Giraffe/Zebra trail side of the building they go right down to the lobby/store and also to the pool/Mara.
The Kudu trail side of the lobby is a bit further from the pool/Mara, etc., however many people are ok with a longer walk from Kudu trail if they've booked a standard view but are hoping to have a partial savanna view at less cost and most of those partial savanna view rooms are over on Kudu/Ostrich trail.

Thanks for the info Sndral! I think when you stay at one resort for so long, changing to another can be a bit daunting but your info is definitely helpful!

We are going in November :)

We are super excited!! We've booked our very first stay at AKL for June 2019!! We are staying at the Kidani Village in a 1 bedroom savanna view. Is there a place to find what I should send over for room requests?
We just booked a late June 2019 trip to AKL, too! Happy vacation to you! It will be our 25th anniversary month and the first trip without our son (busy 20 yr old college student). It will also be our first time at a deluxe. We opted for a pool view since we think it will look "cooler" and more "refreshing" in the summer and will go see the animals another way.

Hi there! 44 days to go and I just switched our resort from POP to AKL Standard view room. We've never stayed at AKL (or a Deluxe for that matter), so we're pretty excited!
I know practically nothing about AKL but the price difference was fairly minimal so guess I've got some research ahead of me!

I understand the Uzima pool will be being refurbed while we're there...how long of a walk or shuttle is it to the pool at Kidani?

We booked a standard view, but what are the chances we could ask for a savannah view room? It's always been DH's dream to see the animals from his balcony. TIA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter