Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I just read through the last 10 or so pages of that thread and it is looking bleak. I hadn't even considered the eyesore factor yet. Has anyone had any luck with getting a pass to another resorts pool? This costs them ZERO dollars why would they draw a line in the sand on pool hopping for God's sake?
I’m back on the phone to them again. Still adamant they’re doing absolutely nothing!

I'm honestly more irritated that I haven't gotten an email yet :badpc: we will be there the second week of Novemeber. The pool being closed for us isn't a huge deal. We are staying at Kidani on rented vacation points so moving wouldn't be an option (nor would we want to). This will be our first stay at AKL and that for us is the most exciting! It is a bit of a bummer that Kidani's pool will probably be really crowded but I guess it will be just something to deal with at the time. I feel for everyone whose plans are now in upheaval because of this!
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an email as I doubt dvc member services will send you one.
I am at Jambo staying on my own points w/ 2 reservations, one for the end of Nov. then moving into a bigger villa the first week of Dec.. I have not gotten an email for either reservation, although some one up thread or in another thread got an email on an early Dec. cash room reservation.
My guess is you won't get an email as your rented points are DVC and that email would come from member services most probably to the owner of the points rather than you, plus I don't think member services alerts people about pool closures.
One exception was when they took a lot of the WL villas out of service to build the Copper Creek cabins and member services did reach out and move people into other DVC resorts (that was a fine mess, btw,) but they had to move people because the villas they were scheduled to stay in were closed down for Disney's construction so they had to find them new places to stay, so they really had no choice but to be pro active.
W/ DVC you'll own those points for a long time and presumably be returning to your resort many times, thus the occasional refurb. isn't as big a deal, unfortunate that renters of DVC points are stuck w/ the result, but DVC owners are a 'captive' audience so less need for guest recovery, I guess.
You could speak w/ the owner of your points and see if they are willing to try to get you into another DVC resort - although there's probably not a lot out there at this late date.

2 days I’ve tried calling Disney. Can’t get through! Try again in the morning

We booked in Jan 2018
AKL with free dining plan and tickets

Does anyone know if I am able to transfer to another hotel will I still get the dining plan!?

I’ve booked through Disney direct (UK)

I spoke with a castmember and because I have a standard view at AKL booked currently switching to beach club would be an additional $400 total! (because only special view rooms are available during our stay) I dont know if it would be worth an additional 400 to switch resorts. I like the idea of walking to epcot, especially during food and wine. should I switch???

I would pay that to switch to BCR or even YCR but it’s the free dining I don’t want to lose

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an email as I doubt dvc member services will send you one.
I am at Jambo staying on my own points w/ 2 reservations, one for the end of Nov. then moving into a bigger villa the first week of Dec.. I have not gotten an email for either reservation, although some one up thread or in another thread got an email on an early Dec. cash room reservation.
My guess is you won't get an email as your rented points are DVC and that email would come from member services most probably to the owner of the points rather than you, plus I don't think member services alerts people about pool closures.
One exception was when they took a lot of the WL villas out of service to build the Copper Creek cabins and member services did reach out and move people into other DVC resorts (that was a fine mess, btw,) but they had to move people because the villas they were scheduled to stay in were closed down for Disney's construction so they had to find them new places to stay, so they really had no choice but to be pro active.
W/ DVC you'll own those points for a long time and presumably be returning to your resort many times, thus the occasional refurb. isn't as big a deal, unfortunate that renters of DVC points are stuck w/ the result, but DVC owners are a 'captive' audience so less need for guest recovery, I guess.
You could speak w/ the owner of your points and see if they are willing to try to get you into another DVC resort - although there's probably not a lot out there at this late date.

Thanks for the info! The pool being down isn't a big deal for us. It is kinda just an "aw well that stinks." We have never stayed at AKL before so we are just super hyped to be staying there at all! It makes sense that they wouldn't be as concerned with DVC since you are in it for the long haul, but I personally think they should tell everyone!!

I am going to make a suggestion for all of those (including myself) who feel there should be something offered to those who are booked during the pool rehab. My mother has done this many times in her lifetime and it almost always does the trick. Email/snail mail the executives of Walt Disney World. Executives do not like to get mail of this sort. My mom has gotten many situations where lower employees either could not or would not help taken care of by letting executives know about her displeasure. That being said I found the names, email addresses and snail mail addresses of 2 executives at Disney. It couldn’t hurt to try. The worst they can do is say no.

Primary Contact
Jim MacPhee
Senior Vice President of Next Generation Experiences and Walt Disney World Parks
P.O. Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
(407) 560-2960
james.d.macphee@disney.com

Chief Executive
George Kalogridis
CEO
P.O. Box 10000
(407) 828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com

We were booked at AKL pool view room September 8 - 15. I received a call from Disney today offering to adjust our rate to a standard view rate. The difference was only $218. I expressed my concerns with the CM (who was from guest relations) He worked his magic and sprinkled a little pixie dust and we are now at BC for $100 more. It is a bittersweet change but in the end I think it was the right decision for us.

I would pay that to switch to BCR or even YCR but it’s the free dining I don’t want to lose

In the end I did switch to BC. I didn’t want to stress about the pool situation further.

Do the other deluxes not have the free dining package available? I’m sorry this is frustrating

We were booked at AKL pool view room September 8 - 15. I received a call from Disney today offering to adjust our rate to a standard view rate. The difference was only $218. I expressed my concerns with the CM (who was from guest relations) He worked his magic and sprinkled a little pixie dust and we are now at BC for $100 more. It is a bittersweet change but in the end I think it was the right decision for us.

Wow that’s very nice of him! Unfortunatly the cm I spoke with refused to do anything to help with the cost of switching for us. More like a “well I can’t change anything” attitude.

I know most cm cannot change prices but I guess I was more dissapointed because my heart was set on AKL I love it so much.

But I’m glad they are helping those with a pool view room, and yay you will be at BC at the same time as me!

I may be in the minority, but we stay at AKL for the animals. When we were there in March for 8 days, we missed gong to the pool. It was either too cold or we were busy with other things. OTOH, I am not a big pool person anyway. I can fully understand feeling upset but some of the other resorts people are moving to just for a pool I would find pretty boring. But that is just me.

3rd time lucky I got through after 30 mins

Unlucky there is only club level available at the Yacht club. For an extra £1500 I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair

Now if I want to DOWNGRADE to a value (AOA) I have to pay to DOWNGRADE an extra £500

Hahah! Good one Disney

Nice try disney

I am going to make a suggestion for all of those (including myself) who feel there should be something offered to those who are booked during the pool rehab. My mother has done this many times in her lifetime and it almost always does the trick. Email/snail mail the executives of Walt Disney World. Executives do not like to get mail of this sort. My mom has gotten many situations where lower employees either could not or would not help taken care of by letting executives know about her displeasure. That being said I found the names, email addresses and snail mail addresses of 2 executives at Disney. It couldn’t hurt to try. The worst they can do is say no.

Primary Contact
Jim MacPhee
Senior Vice President of Next Generation Experiences and Walt Disney World Parks
P.O. Box 10000
(407) 560-2960
james.d.macphee@disney.com

Chief Executive
George Kalogridis
CEO
P.O. Box 10000
(407) 828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com
I have emailed both and will let you know if I hear anything. Thank you!

3rd time lucky I got through after 30 mins

Unlucky there is only club level available at the Yacht club. For an extra £1500 I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair

Now if I want to DOWNGRADE to a value (AOA) I have to pay to DOWNGRADE an extra £500

Hahah! Good one Disney

Nice try disney

They will either have offered you the suites at AOA or worked it out with the full cost of the dining plan as in the uk AOA standard rooms qualify for no dining at all.
They have a set allocation of rooms for the uk free dining but in my experience this changes all the time.
Did they check either of the Port Orleans? The way they seem to be just now they would make you pay the upgrade to full dining but you should still save money overall.
The way disney are handling this is pretty shoddy.

I thought I was one of the “lucky” ones that was able to book a standard free dining room. The pool is a huge factor in sept. I don’t know what to do. I really don’t think akl should charge rack rates during this time with no pool. Decisions decisions.

Hrph. First stay at AKV - even scored a Value studio. Short trip so no real designated pool time, but we usually squeeze in a few hours. No email, but booked on our DVC points, so I guess I'm not expecting one. I have active waitlists anyway, but I'm doubting we'll get lucky.

I know I would be very disappointed in the pool at the AKL was closed during our stay next month, but not enough to give up my CL villa. But if it weren't for that, I would try to switch to at least SSR. I would also be disappointed if I were staying at Kidani, because that pool will most likely be very crowded. I plan on us using both of the resorts pools with our stay there, but I am thinking I will actually prefer Kidani's pool the most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter