Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I find it very difficult to believe they don't have refurbs like this locked down months BEFORE the rooms are even available for rent. This is basically bait and switch. It's like buying a 3 course meal and them telling you that the 3rd course just isn't happening, sorry not sorry.

Given they failed the prevention, their damage control is is pretty lame on this overall. Use the other pool? You mean the pool that will now have double the people in it? They should have stepped up and allowed people to use another resort's pool of their choice, or given day passes to the waterparks, given a gift card*, etc. People shouldn't have to call up CS and beg for these things.

* Btw, I did complain, and got one, so take that for what it's worth.

I tried voicing my frustration to a castmember but al he offered was for me to switch hotels at a higher rate. Did u contact AKL management or Disney reservation line? I switched to beach club but it’s more expensive, and now I have to rearrange my dining and plans (since most were based in AKL)

Do you think I should call again to complain or write an email? I had my heart set on AKL but 1 pool for a sold out resort? No thank you.

I am pretty sure I saw your post on the Money Saving Expert forum? I saw those horrible comments, (first world problems n all that) but I was not able to reply or log in for some reason. I wanted to give those people a piece of my mind!

I will be there mid September and I am super p****!

We have a standard room booked, and no doubt this will be over looking construction. How can we possibly sit on our balcony and enjoy the view / with everything going on, not to mention dust, noise. Not a relaxing holiday at all. We have no specific room booked, just a standard. So I don't know if I want to take that chance and end up in a horrible location on arrival.

The email states that they are making the pool at Kidani available and putting on mini bus, but they already do that anyway! They are doing nothing to sweeten their customers whatsoever.

I don't know if I want to go anymore. We are going to sit down this weekend and make a list of alternatives and weigh up the pro's and cons of staying / cancelling and rebooking something else. I'm afraid of losing our £200 deposit. The thought of Disney keeping £200 of my money for something that is not my fault is sickening quite frankly.

I want relaxation! I do not want to have to wait on a mini bus every time I want to use the pool, and wait on a mini bus back to the room if I forget something. Nothing relaxing about all that hassle.

If Disney were to move me over to Kidani village and guarantee a room beside the pool I would go 100%, but right now its a no. I did not pay for this! There is nothing deluxe or luxury about this mess! Disneys attitude sucks

Did you book through Disney or through a travel agent? When I called about the issue the cast member was willing to fit me someplace else but nothing as cheap as the standard rate I got. At the time he did offer kidani because it was avalible but it was at a higher cost and I was still worried about the kidani pool being overcrowded.

We're going the 2nd week of November, and while I'm a bit disappointed that our pool breaks may take a bit more work than they probably should, I'm most curious as to whether or not that entire area will be closed off (flamingo viewing, hot tubs, movie night area, etc) with my biggest concern being whether or not they'll leave at least one hot tub open. My aunt, who is traveling with us again, has bad knees and likes to take a little soak at the end of the evening before bed. Going all the way to Kidani to do this, even via the shuttle, would seem to defeat the purpose. I've never stayed at any of the resorts during a pool refurb, so I'm not really sure what to expect. Any ideas?

This might not help much but this is part of the email I got back from Disney:
We hope your family will enjoy the Jambo House Campfire activities, including roasting marshmallows! We also hope you will join us for any Movies Under the Stars scheduled during your visit. We invite your family to put Pumbaa’s Fun and Games Arcade and the Hakuna Matata Playground to good use, as well. I hope you will also find time to gaze out over the savannah and be awed and inspired by the animals who share this incredible Resort with you!

Doesn't mention the hot tub but does mention the movie night.

Since we're doing a DC we were just going to hang at the resort but now I'm thinking about doing the parks for one day or possibly going to Universal for a day. I just hate to buy a 1 day park ticket.

I tried voicing my frustration to a castmember but al he offered was for me to switch hotels at a higher rate. Did u contact AKL management or Disney reservation line? I switched to beach club but it’s more expensive, and now I have to rearrange my dining and plans (since most were based in AKL)

Do you think I should call again to complain or write an email? I had my heart set on AKL but 1 pool for a sold out resort? No thank you.
I just called disney concierge line to address my concerns apparently disney isnt going to compensate guests at this time. Apparently i will have use of the pool 1 day when we arrive on sept 3rd it goes into rehab on the 4th i am not plesed so i just emailed disney resort reservations with my displeasure and request for some kind of room reduction or at the least a water park pass or something because cramming in at kidani village pool is not my idea of relaxing by the pool..lol

Is there a place that lists email addresses for Disney World Resorts? can you email them directly? The only way I can find to contact anyone is the form in the Help Center. I feel like that information will not go to people higher up who may agree to do something about my displeasure at the handling of the pool closing at 2 different resorts that I booked for my vacation.

I voiced my concerns as well, as my husband and I planned a "resort only" vacation for October for our 10 year anniversary :( They suggested I move to the Poly lol (AKL was $361 a night, Poly is $892). Good try, Disney. Then I asked about CBR and CSR and the agent said "oh nooo, those are undergoing WAY more refurbishments, CBR is being completely redone with limited dining options and CSR is having pool maintenance at the same time." UGH. I'm so upset.

Is there a place that lists email addresses for Disney World Resorts? can you email them directly? The only way I can find to contact anyone is the form in the Help Center. I feel like that information will not go to people higher up who may agree to do something about my displeasure at the handling of the pool closing at 2 different resorts that I booked for my vacation.
I use this email
wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

1st level support can and will do nothing, you need to speak to a supervisor.

This kinda thing is hit or miss, because you have to convince a human, probably one that is being pestered all the time, that you deserve something (btw, you absolutely do - we all do). I'd suggest calling, and asking them for _something_ other than the _nothing_ they are offering as compensation. Btw, you won't get much, so set your sights low on things that don't actually cost them actual money, like a free memory maker, or use of the extra fast pass things for your family for a day.

This might not help much but this is part of the email I got back from Disney:
We hope your family will enjoy the Jambo House Campfire activities, including roasting marshmallows! We also hope you will join us for any Movies Under the Stars scheduled during your visit. We invite your family to put Pumbaa’s Fun and Games Arcade and the Hakuna Matata Playground to good use, as well. I hope you will also find time to gaze out over the savannah and be awed and inspired by the animals who share this incredible Resort with you!

Doesn't mention the hot tub but does mention the movie night.

The campfire location is actually at the Sunset Overlook on Arusha Rock, so I would definitely hope that wouldn't be affected by all of this, but the movies are usually shown by the pool area. Knowing that the playground and movies are still being put "to good use" seems a little more promising that the the hot tub will be available. Fingers crossed! Thanks for that little tidbit!

I just called disney concierge line to address my concerns apparently disney isnt going to compensate guests at this time. Apparently i will have use of the pool 1 day when we arrive on sept 3rd it goes into rehab on the 4th i am not plesed so i just emailed disney resort reservations with my displeasure and request for some kind of room reduction or at the least a water park pass or something because cramming in at kidani village pool is not my idea of relaxing by the pool..lol

Yeah I agree that doesn’t sound fun or relaxing. I think they need to put it on the website because last time I checked I don’t think there was a notice at all about the closure. I’m hoping you will still be able to have a great vacation.

1st level support can and will do nothing, you need to speak to a supervisor.

This kinda thing is hit or miss, because you have to convince a human, probably one that is being pestered all the time, that you deserve something (btw, you absolutely do - we all do). I'd suggest calling, and asking them for _something_ other than the _nothing_ they are offering as compensation. Btw, you won't get much, so set your sights low on things that don't actually cost them actual money, like a free memory maker, or use of the extra fast pass things for your family for a day.

Yes I mean anything is better than nothing. I don’t expect them to discount my room at BC but at least something to show that they are actually sorry. (Honestly a free memory maker would be nice, I had an AP last time I went and it was so nice getting all those wonderful photos)

Does anyone know the dates that the construction will be starting in September? I haven't received an email yet and I booked from 9/5-9/9.
Thanks!

I am pretty sure I saw your post on the Money Saving Expert forum? I saw those horrible comments, (first world problems n all that) but I was not able to reply or log in for some reason. I wanted to give those people a piece of my mind!

I will be there mid September and I am super p****!

We have a standard room booked, and no doubt this will be over looking construction. How can we possibly sit on our balcony and enjoy the view / with everything going on, not to mention dust, noise. Not a relaxing holiday at all. We have no specific room booked, just a standard. So I don't know if I want to take that chance and end up in a horrible location on arrival.

The email states that they are making the pool at Kidani available and putting on mini bus, but they already do that anyway! They are doing nothing to sweeten their customers whatsoever.

I don't know if I want to go anymore. We are going to sit down this weekend and make a list of alternatives and weigh up the pro's and cons of staying / cancelling and rebooking something else. I'm afraid of losing our £200 deposit. The thought of Disney keeping £200 of my money for something that is not my fault is sickening quite frankly.

I want relaxation! I do not want to have to wait on a mini bus every time I want to use the pool, and wait on a mini bus back to the room if I forget something. Nothing relaxing about all that hassle.

If Disney were to move me over to Kidani village and guarantee a room beside the pool I would go 100%, but right now its a no. I did not pay for this! There is nothing deluxe or luxury about this mess! Disneys attitude sucks

Hey, yes I did and the negative comments keep on coming . I’m feeling very disheartened by the lack of care they are showing to us, as I’m very sure you are too. I’ve been looking forward to this trip for so long. Anyone booking from the Uk? legislation protects package holidays and states that if part of a service is taken away from a consumer then compensation has to be offered.although Disney don’t seem to care!!!

I emailed guest communications earlier, we’ll see what they say.

I did mention that the notice was not adequate. We have a pool day planned for my son’s birthday, so this does complicate things. Shuttling to another resort isn’t ideal, and I wasnt budgeting or planning on adding a water park day, etc.

I checked the AKL Disney resort reservation page last night and it did not give notice that the pool will be closed. CSR and CBR did have notices when you look at the available rooms as to what is going on there.

Already adjusting my expectations, though, lol...through the tears!

You're in compassionate company here! :)
Hey, yes I did and the negative comments keep on coming . I’m feeling very disheartened by the lack of care they are showing to us, as I’m very sure you are too. I’ve been looking forward to this trip for so long. Anyone booking from the Uk? legislation protects package holidays and states that if part of a service is taken away from a consumer then compensation has to be offered.although Disney don’t seem to care!!!

I emailed also. I explained that my main annoyance was having to pay the increased price for tickets when I had my package booked before the change. If I had known the pool would be unavailable, I would have booked a different resort originally.

As we are staying in November, I did not receive an email, but I am disappointed to read about the closing of the pool. One of the reasons I think AKL is so beautiful is because of the pool area. We built in a rest day to enjoy lounging around the resort and swimming at Uzima. That's a bummer, but there really isn't anything comparable pricewise for switching. At least they still have the savannah. . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter